PDA

View Full Version : Loose Change, the old days

cravletz
07-03-2003, 08:24 PM
This is probably aimed more at the oldies but
Did anyone ever go and see Virgil in Loose Change back in 87 at the Grainstore Tavern in Melbourne. Was he playing in any bands before that? Does anyone know what Mark Domoney is doing now? I know Joe Chindamo is playing around Melbourne alot doing the Jazz trip but i havent really heard what Mark Domoney is doing, i love his playing also.:)

Fat Mike
07-04-2003, 05:59 PM
nah mate...i was only 10 years old hehe they wouldn't have let me in...even if i knew who virg was back then lol
too busy listening to the bullshit fed to me on the radio...thank god my eyes opened musically soon after that!

Whatever became of the grainstore?
Yes, Joe is an amazing player...very gifted and a genius!

v1rotate
07-11-2003, 07:05 PM
The Grainstore was turned into some sort of Lap Dancing Club in the late 90's.

Mark Domoney still does session work around. Great player.

v1rotate
07-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Got a bunch of Bootlegs back home of Loose change with a tune written by Mark Domonet called "Contact", one of my favourites of Loose Change, this song was not recorded on the album however and don't forget the song "Tropical", another great one buy Mark I think.

mike the drums
02-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Did anyone ever go and see Virgil in Loose Change back in 87 at the Grainstore Tavern in Melbourne. Was he playing in any bands before that? Does anyone know what Mark Domoney is doing now? I know Joe Chindamo is playing around Melbourne alot doing the Jazz trip but i havent really heard what Mark Domoney is doing, i love his playing also.:)

Yes I know what Mark is doing. He still works as a session player in Melbourne and works regularly with one of Australias better Corporate bands called Plastique. He recently became a father for the first time and it is rumoured that he is recording a solo fusion album.

hammercam
11-20-2004, 04:10 PM

I'm one of the oldies you speak of! I went to almost all the Loose Change gigs in Melbourne. The first band I know of that Virg played in was "Taste" with an album "Tickle Your Fancy" released in '76. Nice hat and scarf!!! Sang backing vocals also. He was 16 then. There was also an earlier version of Loose Change called "Changes". I have a tape I recorded off 3PBS FM of a live show they did at Monash Uni (I think). There was a sax player in this band as well with Venetta Field and some other woman singing.

The first time I ever saw Virg was at a drum clinic at the Grainstore Tavern in 1984. I was 16 and was the first rock show I had ever seen - had been brought up ultra conservative/religious. No other gig has had that kind of impact and matched the shock value of the performance.

I also have material of him with Peter Couples, Linda Cable, etc.etc.

Oh, just remembered... after Loose Change he was in a cover band called "Hans Valen" with Jack Jones and another fusion band "The Gnomes of Zurich" with the guy from Bachelor Girl.

Hope that helps.

morgenthaler
11-21-2004, 02:15 AM
Awesome hammercam!

Wow, you've been able to follow Virg for such a long time. How does it feel to see him burst through the ranks and to keep improving still to this day?

More old stories would be thrilling.
I am, by the way finding Bachelor Girl to be very well-written pop.
Especially "Waiting For The Day"!

Leaping Cat
11-21-2004, 11:30 AM
God work. I like the cheasyness.

Leaping Cat
11-21-2004, 11:31 AM
*Good work* (Virgils not at "god" work yet)

HankScorpio
08-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Reviving an ancient thread... (blame Google!)

I have been listening to some really old Loose Change recordings recently (old tapes - don't ask :) ) and was wondering what the guys from Loose Change were up to these days.

Well, I knew Virgil had really kicked on internationally when I saw him play with Steve Vai in London (I was at the the DVD recording), and I know Joe Chindamo (keys) is quite busy and has his own website (in English and Japanese), but I was wondering what Steve Hadley (original Bassist) and Mark Domoney (Guitar) are presently up to. Roger McLachlan (Bass - eventually, Kim May filled in for a while - after Steve Hadley left) is on MySpace and appears to co-run an online singing/training website. I think he might still play with the all-bass band Bass-ic Instinct

Mark Domoney had a personal webpage at around 2000/2001, but that does not exist these days.

Just wondering if anyone knew what these guys were up to. It'd be cool to hear Mark play again.

Thanks, Hank.

PS. I'd love to hear these guys back together again, but I guess that just isn't going to happen. :( Many fond memories from those gigs at the Grainstore Tavern.

Aussie
03-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I was at the gig when they recorded Loose change Live at the grain store tavern, we all then lined up to add our names to the Albulm cover. I remember going every Tuesday night too see them (i think it was tuesday brains a little dead now) Top stuff loved it then and it still gets me going now.

I was in awe of these guys watching them play, Then at the end of the set the croud used to wait for the steve morse song cruise missile with Virgils double base drums going flat out. As a drummer I was always blown away.

By the way thats me yelling out Cruise missile just before the start of the song, had a few too many and was pumped. I remember taking my girlfriend she was bored ****less, I was playing drums on the table and spilt a drink all over her..LOL

Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of the album? I lost it many years ago and would love to show the kids my name on the album and to listen that awesome music again

DavidPartay
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Aussie,

I got a copy of it from vorticitymusic.com but they seem to have closed down. I tried to get another album off them a few months back but my order was never processed and a follow up email I sent wasn't responded to.

I'm guess you could probably get it from www.audiophileimports.com but it would be nice to get it in locally... Maybe JB Hifi or Utopia Music in Sydney could order it in for you? www.jbhifi.com.au or www.utopia.com.au

Cruise Missile is a great song! I was only 3 in '87 but I really dig the album.

Aussie
03-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey david thanks for the reply, I'll follow up on the your link to see if I can get the CD, does it stil have all the names from the audience on it? If so look can you look for paul warden, thats me, and my mate evan bursil. Not sure if my girl at that time signed it, her name was kim....Um something..LOL cant remember now.

morgenthaler
03-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Paul, thanks for joining here, and for the insight to the old days!

I have both the old vinyl version and the new cd re-release, and while the cd has totally new art work, the old one doesn't seem to have any audience names on it... ?!

Aussie
03-05-2009, 11:47 PM
If I remember correctly it was on the album Sleeve.

Aussie
06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
:( Sorry to dig up an old thrad but I'm having no luck getting this CD. Audiophile emailed me to say they no longer carry this CD, I also tried Utopia but they dont stock it. Does anyone have any ideas of where else I can try to buy this album? cheers.

dallozdoppler
06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOOSE-CHANGE%1ALIVE-AT-THE-GRAINSTORE-feat.-Virgil-Donati_W0QQitemZ330331364681QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090519?IMSfp=TL090519189001r6018

By the way, I listened to it just recently and it is amazing.

frank
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
It's an awesome cd indeed.

Good luck on finding the CD, Aussie. Perhaps Jeppe or Christopher know where you can find it? I just checked but it's not available in this websites' store either.

morgenthaler
06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I'll se if there's anything we can do

dallozdoppler
06-05-2009, 12:21 PM
eumm...my link has one.

Christopher
06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
The BEST thing I can tell you is to check out or email Vorticity about this since they are the label who released it...We dont have any in stock unfortunately...

Aussie
06-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks gents I have emailed Vorticity yesterday, awaiting a reply. I noticed their websites down?

morgenthaler
06-06-2009, 06:42 AM
eumm...my link has one.

Indeed!! Check out dallozdoppler's link out!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOOSE-CHANGE...0519189001r6018

Logic1981
06-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Guys,

i got this album too. Itīs great Virgils playing is not so virtuouse like the others but it fit perfektly with the songs. So less is sometimes more:)
By the way i have bought this thing also at ebay. Itīs quite difficult to get that in a store and you know i am from germany there itīs so much more difficult than in the states:).

All the best do you all!

Chris:)

Aussie
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks to you all and especially to dallozdoppler. That link proved successful and I am listening to it as I type. Top stuff brings back memories, was such a great night.

HankScorpio
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Just wondering, is anyone aware of any Loose Change video? Surely someone must have videotaped these guys at least once?

Cheers.

MoraeusSWE
09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
would be cool to hear Virgil sing! I know he even had some lessons in that as a young kid, but is he good? He lisps alot when he talks.

BT151
01-06-2010, 03:40 AM
If I remember correctly it was on the album Sleeve.
I have recently been rediscovering my vinyl and found the Live at the Grain Store Lp (ah the memories). The list of names that you referred to is on a sheet which was inserted inside the album. The copy I have is in great condition and the music still amazing.

Aussie
03-13-2010, 05:15 PM
BT151 can you see me and my mate on the Album sleeve?

Adam
03-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Can you guys believe this is 7 years old!~

frank
03-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Still an awesome thread, no matter how old. :)

HankScorpio
06-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Can you guys believe this is 7 years old!~
Considering those Loose Change gigs were in 1987 (most of them - best year - original lineup with Steve Hadley in bass) - some in 1988, very few in 1989, I still remember them like they were yesterday.

... and speaking of the Grainstore (which is no longer BTW, as it is now a phreakin' strip joint, sheesh...), here's a gig with Melbourne band Network in 1983 - never saw this setup in person as I was a bit too young to see Virg play in 1983. You can get a glimpse of a very young Virgil in the left of the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM6jhJWEEQ0

well, he moves around a little in the picture here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRBD_iIeylc&feature=channel

If you have not seen these already, enjoy a blast from the past...

frank
06-30-2010, 05:31 AM
I've never heard of that band, thanks for sharing Hank! :)

HankScorpio
06-30-2010, 05:45 AM
I've never heard of that band, thanks for sharing Hank! :)
You're welcome frank. This is around the same time when he was in the band "Changes", which eventually became "Loose Change" in 1987 minus the sax player. I believe Changes had some female singers joining them in 1983/1984, at least for a University gig they did which was later broadcast on 3PBS-FM. Then Changes kinda fizzled out.

Changes were another group I never got to see because I was too young. Thank goodness I caught them as Loose Change from 1987 onwards on a regular basis whilst it lasted.

morgenthaler
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks for sharing this. Really old stuff that I hadn't seen before! :-)

HankScorpio
08-31-2010, 06:11 AM
Virgil on TV (Countdown) from 1981 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuFFgr56x6g&feature=related

frank
08-31-2010, 07:59 AM
HAHA! :D Thanks so much for sharing that!

morgenthaler
08-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks HankScorpio, once more providing *really* old goodies!

Dre25
08-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Virgil on TV (Countdown) from 1981 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuFFgr56x6g&feature=related

Bahaha

That's ****ing great.

Very cool 80's band.

Matthias
09-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah, thanks for that!! :D
Those were the days were Virgil was allowed to fully express himself, hehehe ;).

HankScorpio
02-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Virgil solo on "Bells of Freedom" with Linda Cable, Alex Partout percussion solo - with Mark Domoney on Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61Edn_WM0I

Again with Linda, tune is "Betcha", Mark Domoney Guitar solo, Virgil Drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizd3bJt4bg

Enjoy...

HankScorpio
07-16-2013, 08:36 PM
OK, long time no post, but.... look what I have found :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEY3-S7yQ-E

Virgil with the band Taste from 1976 !!!

Enjoy...