PDA

View Full Version : bass drum height, beater angle/height and so on

mauricio
01-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi guys I need some help. I have spent COUNTLESS hours trying different adjustments regarding beater angle, bass drum height and so on. I still canīt feel comfortable, especially when it comes to the height of the bass drumīs front off the floor.

Could you guys please share YOUR experiences regarding this? And please be as specific as you can.

I know this is a somewhat repetitive topic, but I believe that there are lots of people going through the same problem here :)
At least I hope so! So,please, fire away!!!

bootdogs
01-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I believe Peter will come out and post like a beater fiend here.

I pretty much play at normal "out-of-the-box" distance angle.

MaltBuddow3
04-14-2004, 12:35 PM
I changed my beater distance a few days ago and I love it. It was maybe 4 or 5 inches from the head, and now it's 7-8 inches, feels nice and lead-like. I love it!!!

Lino
05-22-2004, 12:29 AM
just play with it and find what suits you better thats about it

Lad.
05-22-2004, 04:48 PM
I have found that making my beaters stick out more.
It creates more inertia so that you have more swing.
It's sort of like how some people can play better when they hold their sticks at the VERY end. Mike Portnoy seems to do this a lot. Anyhow, I am now able to get pretty good fast single strokes with my feet now.

jimi
05-23-2004, 02:26 AM
I've found with settings, that its a trade off between easier to do doubles or singles. a flatter tension means its easier to push down with just the ankle and i get faster singles. however the spring tension is crap for doubles. and of the of course the other way around, i still haven't found that comfortable feeling i'm looking for, so dont fret mauricio!!

kevinboicourt
05-24-2004, 11:36 PM
well, the best ive found actually is to have the batterhead pretty tight, not too tight (hit it too hard and your foot will go through) and to have the beaters about 4-5 inches from the head. if you have the beaters back way too far, your just having to waste precious energy by pressing them a further distance. bassdrums are nice, but you gotta admit, they dont have to be the most over-powering sound you hear. as for doubles, with me, it actually best to have the springs really tight. whenever you press the pedal down, the spring reacts quicker at bringing the beater back. The music that I play has to do with a lot of doublebass, so I've been doing this for a little while. Not trying to be arrogant, or bigheaded but everybody I know from around my area tell me I have the fastest feet around here, hands down. Hope I helped you with this info.

gyro
05-25-2004, 01:59 PM
hmmm .... what i did was completely disassemble my bass pedal, figure out how it worked and what i could do to adjust it (besides the normal adjustment methods). then i pieced it all back together. i don't recommend that, however, because i -- being the ignorant fool that i am -- put the pedal back together wrong. haha! so i had to do it all over again. but in doing so i found the feel that suited me.

2 days ago i ordered a double bass pedal, so obviously i have no experience with those. but if you want the angles / heights / etc on my pedal i'd be happy to get them for you.

as far as bass heads go, i keep mine fairly loose. i find it gives more of an abrupt 'thunk', which is just what i like. ;)

but it's all about what you think feels right.

God bless and good luck! :D

peter
05-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Please consider pullling your feet down on the
footboard. Learn to control this stroke and you
will find that you will emit less effort, even with
the beater back at Virgil's angle. Of course, be
ready to loosen the spring too. You have to be
willing to try new things to improve at some-
thing. You can do it.

:)

timthedrummer
05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
i just put the black cams on my eliminators
just for a change
im liking them- it feels more solid now

Lucius
05-26-2004, 05:23 PM
I like the white ones, Ive never really fussed too much about pedal adjustments... I just used to use the red one when I first got my pedal cause I thought "Oh mad, it says it goes faster!" hahaha (I got my pedal years ago btw, so im sure you can understand my frame of mind back then! hehe) but like Tim, for a change, I put the white ones on, they seem to do fine, but I have fairly loose spring tension cause I like to feel the beater rebounding...!

peter
05-26-2004, 06:58 PM
I like that: "...feel the beater rebounding..."

I think this is very important. That's why thin
rubber soles really help on the feet.

Soon, the purple cams will be out. I can't wait
to try them.

Yes, those black cams are a great diversion! :)

timthedrummer
05-26-2004, 07:16 PM
pete and lucius ur so cool haha
yeh i use the white ones normally
but we'll see how the black ones go
anyways i might get off the net and actually walk the walk and practice
cheers

jimi
05-27-2004, 02:06 AM
I was looking up Danny Carey stuff and noticed he has his beaters HORIZONTAL!!! I tried it, and it feels like doing reps during weight training or sth. I presume he has his spring tension looser. Its just the way my springs were set before i changed the beaters

gyro
05-27-2004, 06:05 PM
I was looking up Danny Carey stuff and noticed he has his beaters HORIZONTAL!!! I tried it, and it feels like doing reps during weight training or sth. I presume he has his spring tension looser. Its just the way my springs were set before i changed the beaters
how does that work? :confused: