PDA

View Full Version : dream theater score DVD

Milo Porto
11-20-2006, 04:20 AM
i have just watched the new DT dvd score..and i must say exellent performance from all the members...!! their best performance to date..!! any takers... :)

portnoy and virgil are two different drummers... *so please dont compare*

LeandroCZ
11-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Of course they are different drummers. Virgil Donati is a monster! He's incredible and Portnoy is only a good single boring strokes drummer!

But John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, John Myung are all incredibles players!

frank
11-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah Milo, I have it too, it's awesome! Very good performance. I love Metropolis pt. 1 with orchestra!

Of course they are different drummers. Virgil Donati is a monster! He's incredible and Portnoy is only a good single boring strokes drummer!

But John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, John Myung are all incredibles players!

Dude... :mad:

Matthias
11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
I've yet to get the DVD.

unbelievable :mad:

frank
11-20-2006, 12:47 PM
You really should get it Matthias, incredibly cool dvd!

DavidPartay
11-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Leandro, just stop posting here. You obviously have nothing constructive to contribute.

Jameson
11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
Amazing DVD. The documentary itself was worth the price I paid.

LeandroCZ
11-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Leandro, just stop posting here. You obviously have nothing constructive to contribute.

Of course I have. You only need stop to see Mike Portnoy like a fanboy and you will see how I'm constructive.

Matthias
11-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Haha, you just seem to make our comments and opinions into your own opinion; that is sweet:)!
First you praised Mike, then some guys commented on Mike's not so advanced technique - and suddenly you bash Mike for this poor technique.
Next I believe myself said something about being a fanboy - aaaand: Now you tell us not to be fanboys! Hahaha:D.

Seriously, we don't defend Mike for something he isn't or can't, we know what he's able to do and what not - it's just that you constantly bash him, which definitely isn't necessary at all and has no point.

@Frank: yes, having Budokan and Live Scenes From NY, I'm definitely getting this new masterpiece;)! Probably around Christmas. All my money goes into my new drum equipment at the moment.

Fourth
11-21-2006, 11:11 AM
AH...i also got it...Portnoy kicks ass...especially on the "Under a Glass Moon" and "Octavarium"...loved the animation by the way.

And yes, the documentary kicks ass too...I could've just gotten the documentary, and I'd still be happy.

Well, I still think Mike Portnoy somewhat revolutionized drumming in a certain point, and I never get tired of his chops. And most of all, he got me to playing the drums in the first place...so bashing Mike like he's a no-brainer is completely uncalled for. Some drummers in this forum consider Mike as a big influence in their playing (which also in my opinion does not make them "fanboys")...

Mike kicks ass.

@Frank : I was literally crying at "The Spirit Carries On"...the way they played it was like their last...I loved every minute of it. I'm a big Dream Theater fan too, so I'm with ya. :D

frank
11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey Fourth! Ha, you know, I was at two consecutive shows from Dream Theater in October, 2005. First one was a "normal" gig, which kicked ass. The second show was the one where they covered Pink Floyd's music. Very cool of course, with a guest saxophonist and a female singer Theresa Thomson.

As an encore they also played The Spirit Carries On, including Theresa, and it sent shivers down my spine and I really had to fight my tears! I wish I would have let them flow, but I didn't want to look like a whimp at a rock concert hehe.. :)

And yes, Mike kicks ass!

Milo Porto
11-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Of course I have. You only need stop to see Mike Portnoy like a fanboy and you will see how I'm constructive.

yo Leandro.. he may not be a virgil... neither is he a thomas lang.. but hey.. at least he has achieved things that you and many of us here could dream of..!!

and sometimes its not about speed...and all of that.. but portnoy is musical..

and obviously.. you cant really read.... cos i did state.. *Pls dont compare* and you did anyways. *sigh*

in short Leandro... take it somewhere else... we dont need your unconstructive words here. :mad:

MATTHIAS : yes.. you do have to get it.. its all worth the money!! :D

Soya
11-22-2006, 03:29 AM
I cried several times during that dvd, it's quite moving.

Milo Porto
11-22-2006, 03:31 AM
yup..!! that means DT's music has touched us in our hearts..and thats cool...!! =-)

DavidPartay
11-22-2006, 02:21 PM

Fool. I was involved in the discussion of Mike Portnoy where YOU turned from fanboy to overly critical of his technical ability. Just because he does not meet your standards of a great drummer, does not mean that he can't play well!

You couldn't even pick for yourself that he only plays single stroke rolls! That had to be pointed out to you!

I was a fan of Donati, Weckl and Colaiuta LONG before I was a big fan of Portnoy. I enjoy Portnoy's drumming because he makes it enjoyable by expressing his personality through his playing - which is what ALL good drummers do. I don't care about his technical prowess.

Grow up.

Matthias
11-22-2006, 11:48 PM
You couldn't even pick for yourself that he only plays single stroke rolls! That had to be pointed out to you!

That is the funniest aspect of this whole ridiculous discussion :D!!

LeandroCZ
11-23-2006, 07:41 AM
You know what is funny? Mike Portnoy said he's new instrucional dvd, In constant motion, will have 7 hours!! I think 2 hours will be MP doing crazy faces on the camera, 3 hours of him playing single boring strokes and 2 hours of him saiyng about his love from the Beatles and Ringo Star!!

I know why he's not that good on the drums. One of his influence is Ringo Star!

Matthias
11-23-2006, 08:23 AM
You're just ridiculous. No point in trying to explain anything to you. How old are you if I may ask? 12 or something? Btw don't say anything against Mike's crazy faces! He is just a funny and entertaining guy, and it's up to you if you want to watch him or listen to him.

LeandroCZ
11-23-2006, 08:38 AM
You're just ridiculous. No point in trying to explain anything to you. How old are you if I may ask? 12 or something? Btw don't say anything against Mike's crazy faces! He is just a funny and entertaining guy, and it's up to you if you want to watch him or listen to him.

I'm 24 years old. It's nothing to do with my age. I only saying what I like and what I dislike. It's simple!

Matthias
11-23-2006, 09:16 AM
So in a few days and messageboard-posts you switch from fan to basher?

Jameson
11-23-2006, 12:31 PM
You know what is funny? Mike Portnoy said he's new instrucional dvd, In constant motion, will have 7 hours!! I think 2 hours will be MP doing crazy faces on the camera, 3 hours of him playing single boring strokes and 2 hours of him saiyng about his love from the Beatles and Ringo Star!!

I know why he's not that good on the drums. One of his influence is Ringo Star!

And here you are...complaining about it on a message board where nobody agrees with you.

You don't like the DVD? Don't buy it.

Do you really have so much free time that you can come here and complain every chance you get? You should be using all the time you spend posting to PRACTICE...so you don't end up like Portnoy! :p:p:p

DavidPartay
11-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Watch out, you might have made him cry!

LeandroCZ
11-23-2006, 01:40 PM
And here you are...complaining about it on a message board where nobody agrees with you.

You don't like the DVD? Don't buy it.

Do you really have so much free time that you can come here and complain every chance you get? You should be using all the time you spend posting to PRACTICE...so you don't end up like Portnoy! :p:p:p

I don't want to be a professional drummer and I don't play in a super band called Dream Theater, so I don't need to practice.

C.J.
11-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't want to be a professional drummer and I don't play in a super band called Dream Theater, so I don't need to practice.

Try practicing common sense and logic then, that would benefit you greatly...

We got the fact that you don't like Mike Portnoy - fine! Now have some respect for others who do like him and stop grasping every occasion you get to point out how much he sucks or whatnot.

Last chance to change your attitude or we will start complaining to the administrator about you.

Thank you.

DavidPartay
11-23-2006, 03:04 PM

Whoa, whoa... Stop right there...

You're throwing a fit about how Mike doesn't practise enough while he is CONSTANTLY on the road, PLAYING in his band and spending time with his family and YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO PRACTISE YOURSELF?

You officially have no right to ever harass any drummer ever again. Talk about hypocrisy.

Spit
11-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Do you have a life????

frank
11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Can't we just all ignore those rediculous MP rants of his? I mean, he's obviously just trying to start something. So let's not give him what he wants.

I seriously advise all of you to ignore any future b*tching from him and any other person about MP in the future.

Soya
11-23-2006, 11:41 PM
A ban would help that greatly.

DavidPartay
11-24-2006, 03:03 AM
Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to ignore blatantly stupid people... I can't help but try to "help" them :S

C.J.
11-24-2006, 03:33 AM
Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to ignore blatantly stupid people... I can't help but try to "help" them :S

:eek: You exerce brain surgery?!

frank
11-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Hahahaha! :D

Matthias
11-24-2006, 08:52 AM
You're throwing a fit about how Mike doesn't practise enough while he is CONSTANTLY on the road, PLAYING in his band and spending time with his family and YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO PRACTISE YOURSELF?

That is a point! Second that.

LeandroCZ
11-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Whoa, whoa... Stop right there...

You officially have no right to ever harass any drummer ever again. Talk about hypocrisy.

I talking like a Dream Theater fan and I have all the rights to say what I feel about MP drumming cause I have all DT albuns. I spent money with MP and DT, so I have my rights. I'm not complaining about MP particular life, I just want better drumming parts on DT album. What do you think if Virgil Donati became a DT member? This will be amazing!

vdreignsuponus1
11-24-2006, 12:49 PM
haven't checked on this site in a while guys. sorry. i got the dvd the day after it released and it, still, amazes me just as much as did the first time i watched. spectacular performance from everyone, and the orchestra just helped give their great music that much more of an "umph!"

i could have sworn that all of this "portnoy bashing" stuff had ended a while back. i remember starting a mike portnoy thread a few years ago when i first joined and i do remember getting my ass chewed. i'd rather not contribute to such a conversation though. everything that needs to be said has been said, so anyone that wonders what points might have already been proven, please read past threads regarding portnoy. thanks. :)

i myself, as most of you know, am a hardcore dt fan for life. i love every member equally. :) (although i must admit that jordan rudess is my own personal musical hero.)

Spit
11-24-2006, 01:38 PM
i myself, as most of you know, am a hardcore dt fan for life. i love every member equally. :) (although i must admit that jordan rudess is my own personal musical hero.)

Jordan is awesome, I loved when he was doing the octavarium intro on the continuum! I was amaz e!

But I still like John Myung better!

Matthias
11-24-2006, 06:02 PM
love Jordan too!
I want to hear John Myung play a funky or jazzy groove, all improvised etc, I wonder how that'd sound. I just know him playing all the fast but composed riffs and lines, with a somethings quite annoying sound.

dreamtheater_US
11-25-2006, 06:40 AM
hey, it's been a long time I've not posted here, I'm reading all this thread
Leandro ...It's needless to read those uncreative comments, why don't you shout up??no offence but everyone of us have our opinnions, why this anger to Mike Portnoy? I'm a big fan from DT, I know how to play each one of this songs and I think Mike's drumming isn't like Virgil's or Vinnie, so what?? Haven't I hear him?? I think he has his style like many others, and he's not a technical one, he has his choices. But I can't believe the first time you heard him, you thought: "oh what a poor one" Mike has influenced us at least in our begginings, and I'm gonna keep respect to him forever, I'll never see at him with a higher look, it's a honesty question. So it would be helpful to close this Mike attack" if u don't like him go anywhere u want, but this is a good forum, don't break it please

Mark Lucia
11-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Mike Portnoy is a awesom Drummer he uses simple techniques and puts them together masterfully! the bashers come across like they play better than Him! if so why aren't you famous? lets hear some clips from your sold out show.are any big company's selling your instructional dvd's?everybody has a certian level of talent. we have something to learn from everyone and eventually develope our own styles.it's not cool to judge.I appreciate him for his level of achievement.

king_chicken
11-25-2006, 08:27 AM
my 10 cents worth=
portnoy is incredible, he doesnt have amzing technique like virgil. but he has been the most inspiration to my drumming life, he plays musically and quite honestly i would say hes far more influential to me than somebody like virgil, lang or weckl are soley on the basis of: i can play or at least attempt with some degree of success to play what he does. unlike virgil where to be honest i havent bothered even looking at trying to learn something hes talking about apart from the phsychological side of this art.
my opinion, no trash plz
cheers!

Jameson
11-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I personally like Portnoy's music projects a lot more than Virgil's. Dream Theater plays a little bit of everything, and Mike keeps up very well with his virtuostic bandmates. The guy deserves a lot of credit.

C.J.
11-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Mike Portnoy is a awesome Drummer he uses simple techniques and puts them together masterfully! the bashers come across like they play better than Him! if so why aren't you famous? lets hear some clips from your sold out show.are any big company's selling your instructional dvd's?everybody has a certain level of talent. we have something to learn from everyone and eventually develop our own styles.it's not cool to judge.I appreciate him for his level of achievement.

Although Leandro is wrong with his harassing, generally speaking, no one needs to be better than a given drummer to have an opinion and criticize (constructively of preference.) Otherwise that would make us ALL one big family of hypocrites - asking to see proof (video, sound clips...) of greater talent in order to accept ones opinion is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Also, talent is by no means proportional to success. There are many examples out there to illustrate that...

dreamtheater_US
11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Leandro I haven't read before that comment... "mike's that bad because he heard Ringo and he love his playing".... Nothing to do with u, definitely you are a waste of this forum. please go away, and let this forum flow... that things make me ennoy.. do you think you are going to be answered to some of ur questions?? think, keep in mind, in this forum nobody like this kind of comments..

Milo Porto
11-26-2006, 03:10 AM
guys just ignore that kid.

king_chicken
11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
i find it amusing that everytime the two words mike and portnoy are mention in conjunction there is a massive erruption of mud slinging from 7 year old kids

frank
11-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Good thing you put the word "and" in between then. :p

Fourth
11-28-2006, 11:50 PM
I've got so much respect for so many drummers that came out...whether they have so much technical ability, superb showmanship, and crowd control (HAHAHAH! The term!) Mike is absolutely a class in his own right.

Talk about respect...we're talking about Mike Portnoy in the Virgil Donati forum! HEHEHEHE...

Not that we disrespect Virgil's presence here, we're just expressing what we feel about Dream Theater, coz hell, when I graduated from high school, I said that I'd wanna be like Mike Portnoy. :D Copy all his chops, practice like hell, get better...etc.

I love the "Leandro" bashing. Yeah, the guy deserves it. XD

Why not start a thread about this guy? It'll do his ego a lot better.

"I would call you a bastard [Leandro], if only you wouldn't take it as a compliment...." - APRIL RYAN, The Longest Journey :D

Take that biyatch.

FOURTH

p.s. LEANDRO, it's Ringo Starr, not Ringo "Star". Ringo Starr kicks ass as well. And maybe you're too dumb enough to know what his real name is.

abyssal_drummer
11-29-2006, 04:54 AM
New Dream Theater DVD eh? Well I guess I know where my beer money for the weekend is going LOL. I have been a huge fan of Portnoy for many years and I have met people like leandro before who bash Mike for what he does and state how his technique sucks and blah blah blah! He is an extreamly creative drummer and enjoyable to watch, the fact that he has been around for so many years and is still able to hammer out cool beats is proof to his amazing drumming ability. I cant wait to get the DVD! Cheers to Dream Theater and Mike for all the wicked years of rockin tunes.

LeandroCZ
11-29-2006, 08:21 AM
I've got so much respect for so many drummers that came out...whether they have so much technical ability, superb showmanship, and crowd control (HAHAHAH! The term!) Mike is absolutely a class in his own right.

Talk about respect...we're talking about Mike Portnoy in the Virgil Donati forum! HEHEHEHE...

Not that we disrespect Virgil's presence here, we're just expressing what we feel about Dream Theater, coz hell, when I graduated from high school, I said that I'd wanna be like Mike Portnoy. :D Copy all his chops, practice like hell, get better...etc.

I love the "Leandro" bashing. Yeah, the guy deserves it. XD

Why not start a thread about this guy? It'll do his ego a lot better.

"I would call you a bastard [Leandro], if only you wouldn't take it as a compliment...." - APRIL RYAN, The Longest Journey :D

Take that biyatch.

FOURTH

p.s. LEANDRO, it's Ringo Starr, not Ringo "Star". Ringo Starr kicks ass as well. And maybe you're too dumb enough to know what his real name is.

Ringo Starr. Are you satisfied? His name doesn't change his drumming.Ringo Starr sucks a lot!

I don't say Mike Portnoy sucks cause he likes Ringo. Your influences make your style of playing. Why John Petrucci is a fantastic guitar player? Cause his influences are Steve Vai, Steve Morse, John Scotfield, Steve Howe, etc... If Mike Portnoy influences was Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Mike Mangini, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta then Mike Portnoy will be a super drummer, one of the best out there. But he's not that good! It's sad but it's true!

Portnoy is creative? Yes, but in drumming Virgil Donati is much more creative.

LeandroCZ
11-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Maybe Mike Portnoy will make me change my thoughts about him with his new instructional DVD "In Constant motion" and in the new DT album. I hope so!!

Matthias
11-29-2006, 08:50 AM
To make it short: Who are your influences? Virgil? So are you a superdrummer?
You're just downright ridiculous. Period.

LeandroCZ
11-29-2006, 09:15 AM

I'm not a professional drummer. but I can do things that Portnoy can't do. Just because I practice what Virgil, Lang, Mangini practice. Of course I'm far away from Virgil, Mangini and Lang cause I have other targets in my life, but If I was a professional drummer I will try to learn the best techniques like Virgil. There's no place to lazy guys! Only the best survive! It's almost like Darwin theorys!

Fourth
11-29-2006, 09:17 AM

Damn right Matthias! I have tons and tons and tons and tons of influences, and I'm nowhere within their ranges when it comes to drumming. I can drum, but not that well...

So that means I'm in par with them? So, if I name Ringo Starr as an influence, I immediately suck at it?

And if I consider Virgil a quintissential influence, you can say that "Hey, Fourth is a good drummer coz he listens to Virgil"?

Man, you've got issues. See somebody. XD

(I like this! I'm beginning to like this!) HAHAHAHAH!

FOURTH
Sucks at drums coz Mike Portnoy and Ringo Starr are his influences...:D

LeandroCZ
11-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Damn right Matthias! I have tons and tons and tons and tons of influences, and I'm nowhere within their ranges when it comes to drumming. I can drum, but not that well...

So that means I'm in par with them? So, if I name Ringo Starr as an influence, I immediately suck at it?

And if I consider Virgil a quintissential influence, you can say that "Hey, Fourth is a good drummer coz he listens to Virgil"?

Man, you've got issues. See somebody. XD

(I like this! I'm beginning to like this!) HAHAHAHAH!

FOURTH
Sucks at drums coz Mike Portnoy and Ringo Starr are his influences...:D

Portnoy is not a complete bad drummer cause one of his influences is Neil Peart that is a good drummer too.

Fourth
11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Portnoy is not a complete bad drummer cause one of his influences is Neil Peart that is a good drummer too.

Yeah...he's a big Rush fan...

About the influences, we really cannot help but regurgitate our influences...I myself have some Portnoy licks thrown in for good measure as well...when I play gigs and practice with friends they always tell me "to grow a beard, grow curly hair until jawline, and drop the glasses" so I'd look like him. XD

So what's your definition of a bad drummer? All drummers are good in their own right...Travis Barker might suck at prog, but he's a monster in punk rock...or Ringo Starr...he was the Mike Portnoy at that time...he probably started prog rock in the first place (listen to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club).

Me? There's no such thing as a bad drummer...just bad attitude towards playing.

FOURTH
Plans to not comb hair to look like Virgil...XD

:D

Matthias
11-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I have other targets in my life
there you go!
there's no place to lazy guys! Only the best survive! It's almost like Darwin theorys!
Wrong (unfortunately...). If you mean making money by "survive", not the best survive but the most successfull, meaning the ones who're liked best by the masses-> i.e. Mike Portnoy.

Fourth
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm not a professional drummer. but I can do things that Portnoy can't do. Just because I practice what Virgil, Lang, Mangini practice. Of course I'm far away from Virgil, Mangini and Lang cause I have other targets in my life, but If I was a professional drummer I will try to learn the best techniques like Virgil. There's no place to lazy guys! Only the best survive! It's almost like Darwin theorys!

If you've learned Darwin's Theory of Evolution (natural selection and survival of the fittest), then Mike Portnoy has certainly evolved, and survived. 1985 to 2006, and he still kicks ass! He's "naturally selected" (with critical acclaim as well) by fans and has evolved (drum parts, drum kits), and survived (KOBE EARTHQUAKE! HAHAHAH!)

Point is, Mike Portnoy is among the top drummers "high above the food chain." He's a monster. XD He'll eat us alive, but he's cool and an entertainer. Unless, well, you become a Jagermeister beer...he'll drink you up. XD

FOURTH
Evolved from "punk rock" to "prog rock" XD

LeandroCZ
11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
If you've learned Darwin's Theory of Evolution (natural selection and survival of the fittest), then Mike Portnoy has certainly evolved, and survived. 1985 to 2006, and he still kicks ass! He's "naturally selected" (with critical acclaim as well) by fans and has evolved (drum parts, drum kits), and survived (KOBE EARTHQUAKE! HAHAHAH!)

Point is, Mike Portnoy is among the top drummers "high above the food chain." He's a monster. XD He'll eat us alive, but he's cool and an entertainer. Unless, well, you become a Jagermeister beer...he'll drink you up. XD

FOURTH
Evolved from "punk rock" to "prog rock" XD

It's simple. Mike Portnoy can't explore his kit with all or the majority of techniques the drumming art have, then´he´s not even close to the best! He´s only good! It's very simple to understand! I hope In constant motion kick my ass but right now after see all MP drumming I can say he's not that good like some people like to think. It's a ilusion!

Spit
11-29-2006, 11:44 AM
It's simple. Mike Portnoy can't explore his kit with all or the majority of techniques the drumming art have, then´he´s not even close to the best! He´s only good! It's very simple to understand! I hope In constant motion kick my ass but right now after see all MP drumming I can say he's not that good like some people like to think. It's a ilusion!

Start being intelligent once and for all! We all wrote once that he's not the best! We wrote that he evolved since the WDADU days, so does his kit!

You can't think and you can't read either! Start being intelligent and practicing then come again with a more decent judgement than "it's your idols that make you better".

Oh...and stop taking what we've said and turn them into your own arguments. If you could read well, you would have noticed that!

Pathetic!

C.J.
11-29-2006, 11:54 AM
*Thinks Leandro should be banned*

Spit
11-29-2006, 12:11 PM
*Thinks Leandro should be banned*

*I second*

frank
11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
*I third*

Matthias
11-29-2006, 01:44 PM
You can't think and you can't read either!

And he can't spell :p .

then´he´s not even close to the best! He´s only good!

So what!!!?????? He is good then, why bother? By the way, what makes a drummer "the best" in your opinion?
Is the painter who holds his brush the most efficient way, who can draw the straightest line, who can pull of the most color-mixtures, who can paint the biggest picture, or the fastest etc etc, the best painter?

Mark Lucia
11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Although Leandro is wrong with his harassing, generally speaking, no one needs to be better than a given drummer to have an opinion and criticize (constructively of preference.) Otherwise that would make us ALL one big family of hypocrites - asking to see proof (video, sound clips...) of greater talent in order to accept ones opinion is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Also, talent is by no means proportional to success. There are many examples out there to illustrate that...
Why do you think my opinion is ridiculous? are you a hypocrite? my point was that every one has something to offer!! I did not ask to see!!!! his videos or sound clips.I was asking him questions to make a point if you read it properly you will see that.I'm not looking for a pissing contest! even if the guy isn't the best drummer on the planet He is famous and awesome at his style of playing it's better to hear positive comments, negetivity is not wholesome.Good point on your reply though you are correct talent is not proportional to success!!! you sound like a fair guy God Bless!! Mark

DavidPartay
11-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Just FYI, Mike Portnoy says one of his MAJOR influences is Vinnie Colaiuta.

So what if Portnoy doesn't have the technical virtuosity of Colaiuta or Weckl or Donati? His drumming is enjoyable to listen to and watch and in case you hadn't noticed, Leandro, WE DON'T TOLERATE PEOPLE WHO ARE NEGATIVELY CRITICISING OTHER DRUMMERS.

frank
11-29-2006, 02:50 PM
:( :(

Fourth
11-29-2006, 09:06 PM
*I third*

I'M FOURTH. :D :D :D :D :D

Soya
11-29-2006, 11:34 PM
mod must be on vacation again....

Matthias
11-30-2006, 12:17 AM

LOL :D (ten charakters blabla)

C.J.
11-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Why do you think my opinion is ridiculous? are you a hypocrite? my point was that every one has something to offer!! I did not ask to see!!!! his videos or sound clips.I was asking him questions to make a point if you read it properly you will see that.I'm not looking for a pissing contest! even if the guy isn't the best drummer on the planet He is famous and awesome at his style of playing it's better to hear positive comments, negetivity is not wholesome.Good point on your reply though you are correct talent is not proportional to success!!! you sound like a fair guy God Bless!! Mark

There seems to be a communication issue both ways here. I misunderstood your post apparently and I apologize. However, I did not mean to say that your opinion is ridiculous (Leandroz's biased and lost opinion is!)

My point was that it's ridiculous, when a person A criticizes a person B, to ask the person A to show video proof of his superiority in order to accept his critique. That is what I find pointless and ridiculous.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Christopher.

frank
11-30-2006, 04:31 AM

Hahaha! :D :D

LeandroCZ
11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Ok, I will wait MP new DVD "In constant Motion" and the new DT album. But if MP disapointed me I will make more critiques about him. I'm just expressing my feelings. Why when some people have different opinions some guys want to banned him?

Matthias
11-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Nobody likes every musician, but there's no point in expressing that repetitively, in an insulting and unconstructive way. Noone is interested in that, believe me. You're sounding like a 10year old child, not more not less.
It's like you've been forced to be a Mike-Portnoy-fan forever, and you're constantly complaining about him. LET HIM GO, FIND ANOTHER HERO!!!

C.J.
11-30-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm just expressing my feelings. Why when some people have different opinions some guys want to banned him?

Nope - you are constantly bickering in an un-constructive manner. Not at all the same thing. You don't want to grow up, fine. In that case, our little community here wants you to be sent on exile - don't complain, we asked you kindly in the beginning.

If it was me, I'd attach you to a chair, sit you in front of a video of summing up Mike's fills that goes repetitively on and on until you weep for mercy.

Spit
11-30-2006, 10:50 AM
If it was me, I'd attach you to a chair, sit you in front of a video of summing up Mike's fills that goes repetitively on and on until you weep for mercy.

Haha!! Awesome!

Look, we're one of the most highly regarded community of drummer of the whole internet, for me, almost like a brotherhood. And when someone disturb the community, it is NORMAL for the members to show that they are not interrested see you be part of it. We tried to tell you. We are not against a good old debate, it just has to be civilized and intelligent, not out of context and childish (like your comments).

As I said once, if you want to make such anoying and un-constructive comments, go on youtube!

LeandroCZ
11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Haha!! Awesome!

Look, we're one of the most highly regarded community of drummer of the whole internet, for me, almost like a brotherhood. And when someone disturb the community, it is NORMAL for the members to show that they are not interrested see you be part of it. We tried to tell you. We are not against a good old debate, it just has to be civilized and intelligent, not out of context and childish (like your comments).

As I said once, if you want to make such anoying and un-constructive comments, go on youtube!

What is constructive? Let me see "Oh MP is so perfect! A God! Is it?
I'm only replying you. I'm not saiyng things against you. You are attacking me. I don't know why. If you don't like my opinions then stop to replying and I will stop too. It's simple.

Spit
11-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Obviously you are too stubborn to understand us, but also you are to stupid to understand what you've said!

What unconstructive comments? Saying that idols make you better is unconstructice...or just plain stupid! Another? Saying that if Mike doesn't know rudiments, then he sucks! Want more? Go back read your post and try to understand what you've wrote!

And come on, don't say where attacking you...If we're there now, it's your fault...or at least your bad and childish attitude and amature opinion on Mike, his style and drumming in general!

Grow!

Milo Porto
11-30-2006, 01:06 PM
*I second*

lets vote him out... im up for him to be banned. :mad:

Spit
11-30-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't like to do that...but I'm bored!

I vote too...

Ps:Sorry Milo that your topic turned this bad... :mad:

Fourth
12-01-2006, 11:57 AM
I, FOURTH, VOTE HIM OUT AS WELL. *applause applause* *pink and yellow confetti falls from sky*

THE REASON :

Leandro, you seem to be a cool dude and all, but disrespecting other members (take for example Milo Porto's warning about "no-comparing", and also dissing Frank (in the earlier posts) is a blatant sign of disrespect...

I agree, that the Virgil Donati forum is the most formal, most civilized drum forum I've ever been, and I've had tons of advice gotten from this forum and has helped me tons in my drumming...This place is sacred, a religion if I may say. Desecrating that brotherhood is sacrilege itself.

See what you've done with the thread with your unconstructive replies and opinions? THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A THREAD ABOUT THE WONDERFUL 20TH ANNIV. DREAM THEATER DVD SCORE, and you turn it into a "Mike-Portnoy-is-a-non-rudimental-drummer-who-also-happens-to-be-a-boring-single-stroke-roll-drummer" thread! Damn you to "the eight hells" of Dante...

Also, you constantly piss everyone off, and your childish replies irritate us. Why? You're just in the wrong place at the wrong time : A thread where Dream Theater fans commune, talk about MP about his wonderful and effective playing in Dream Theater, and you bash the guy. Man, get a life. Grow up. Plant some sweet potatoes if you may, it'll do you good.

You will say, "IT'S A VIRGIL DONATI FORUM! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT HIM!" Fact : this forum has graced drummers from different places, including us. That's why we're proud to be here...Virgil DOES read this forums (although he doesn't stop and reply to certain messages), but he graces this forum often. And he doesn't mind...whether it's Mike Portnoy over here, or Derek Roddy on the other. Everybody here is equal, but if you insult one of us, you've clearly attacked our character, and who wouldn't be pissed off at that?

Why must you "disturb the balance that we've kept safe"? Vic Firth once said, "Criticisms help us musicians if it's positive criticism". All you ever did was bash and bash and bash and compare. Sure, Mike doesn't stand a chance against Virgil, but we find Mike entertaining, and effective, and we look up to him like we look up to Virgil...don't bash a person coz he ain't like Virgil...if it was like that, you'd be bashing us too...and we wouldn't like that, would we?

If we bashed Lang, or Donati, or Weckl, and tell here in the forum that they suck, and we'd rather like Travis Barker to play for Planet X, how would you feel? Please be considerate at how we'd feel with your opinions...you seem to be a person without feelings. If you were here in my country, I'd kick your ass, not with my drum licks, but with a "sumpak" (a homemade 12 gauge shotgun made out of tin cans). Oh yes, I'd do that, but I'm civilized. XD

I'd say this for everybody that you've gone too far, you know? And not one time did we even see you apologizing for the things you do. In fact, you turn our opinions into yours, and we seem to be the "wrong" guys. Butt off, Leandro. Things don't work that way.

Milo Porto, this thread kicks ass. I would've wanted to comment on Mike's playing on "UNDER A GLASS MOON" where he does that cool drum break lick in the middle...but no, this Leandro guy messed it all up.

I, FOURTH, VOTE LEANDRO OUT OF THIS FORUM. He's just a dumbass for all we care.

*raises Budweiser to everyone* MIKE KICKS ASS BIG TIME!

*Raises salt-water filled glass to Leandro* Don't worry Leandro, your drink is on the house.

FOURTH
"Trapped inside this...OCTAVARIUM..."

Matthias
12-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, btw, I'm proud to be a part of this forum, for quite a long time now already:D!!

Spit
12-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I, FOURTH, VOTE HIM OUT AS WELL. *applause applause* *pink and yellow confetti falls from sky*

THE REASON :

Leandro, you seem to be a cool dude and all, but disrespecting other members (take for example Milo Porto's warning about "no-comparing", and also dissing Frank (in the earlier posts) is a blatant sign of disrespect...

I agree, that the Virgil Donati forum is the most formal, most civilized drum forum I've ever been, and I've had tons of advice gotten from this forum and has helped me tons in my drumming...This place is sacred, a religion if I may say. Desecrating that brotherhood is sacrilege itself.

See what you've done with the thread with your unconstructive replies and opinions? THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A THREAD ABOUT THE WONDERFUL 20TH ANNIV. DREAM THEATER DVD SCORE, and you turn it into a "Mike-Portnoy-is-a-non-rudimental-drummer-who-also-happens-to-be-a-boring-single-stroke-roll-drummer" thread! Damn you to "the eight hells" of Dante...

Also, you constantly piss everyone off, and your childish replies irritate us. Why? You're just in the wrong place at the wrong time : A thread where Dream Theater fans commune, talk about MP about his wonderful and effective playing in Dream Theater, and you bash the guy. Man, get a life. Grow up. Plant some sweet potatoes if you may, it'll do you good.

You will say, "IT'S A VIRGIL DONATI FORUM! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT HIM!" Fact : this forum has graced drummers from different places, including us. That's why we're proud to be here...Virgil DOES read this forums (although he doesn't stop and reply to certain messages), but he graces this forum often. And he doesn't mind...whether it's Mike Portnoy over here, or Derek Roddy on the other. Everybody here is equal, but if you insult one of us, you've clearly attacked our character, and who wouldn't be pissed off at that?

Why must you "disturb the balance that we've kept safe"? Vic Firth once said, "Criticisms help us musicians if it's positive criticism". All you ever did was bash and bash and bash and compare. Sure, Mike doesn't stand a chance against Virgil, but we find Mike entertaining, and effective, and we look up to him like we look up to Virgil...don't bash a person coz he ain't like Virgil...if it was like that, you'd be bashing us too...and we wouldn't like that, would we?

If we bashed Lang, or Donati, or Weckl, and tell here in the forum that they suck, and we'd rather like Travis Barker to play for Planet X, how would you feel? Please be considerate at how we'd feel with your opinions...you seem to be a person without feelings. If you were here in my country, I'd kick your ass, not with my drum licks, but with a "sumpak" (a homemade 12 gauge shotgun made out of tin cans). Oh yes, I'd do that, but I'm civilized. XD

I'd say this for everybody that you've gone too far, you know? And not one time did we even see you apologizing for the things you do. In fact, you turn our opinions into yours, and we seem to be the "wrong" guys. Butt off, Leandro. Things don't work that way.

Milo Porto, this thread kicks ass. I would've wanted to comment on Mike's playing on "UNDER A GLASS MOON" where he does that cool drum break lick in the middle...but no, this Leandro guy messed it all up.

I, FOURTH, VOTE LEANDRO OUT OF THIS FORUM. He's just a dumbass for all we care.

*raises Budweiser to everyone* MIKE KICKS ASS BIG TIME!

*Raises salt-water filled glass to Leandro* Don't worry Leandro, your drink is on the house.

FOURTH
"Trapped inside this...OCTAVARIUM..."

Beautiful...we should sign that as an act of the forum!

I think we all agree...I leave it in the hand of our great (and very cool:)) admins.

frank
12-01-2006, 07:13 PM
In response to FOURTH's post:

Now here's someone I really like. (Note: Not because he mentioned my name.)
You're a new member/poster here, but you really get the point! I couldn't have said it better than you have, ever...
Thank you, you've made my day.

(PS, I tried quoting Fourth's post a few times but my Explorer just froze, time and time again... is there something wrong with this forum or my computer?)

Edit: Quick reply DOES work! :confused:
Edit #2: Editing also works! :eek:

Matthias
12-02-2006, 02:19 AM
Get Mozilla Firefox;):D!

C.J.
12-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Get Mozilla Firefox;):D!

I run on Mozilla and I can't use the Quick Reply! :(

Matthias
12-02-2006, 06:06 AM
You do? Strange! Just tiping into the Quick Reply, and if you read this it worked:D!

frank
12-02-2006, 07:00 AM
I've never understood why people use Mozilla. I've always been using IE and I know a lot of keys-shortcuts. And I can ALT+TAB from page to page, which I can't with Mozilla and its different pages in one running program (tabs). And normally IE works perfect for me, just this time quoting didn't work, but that can have many causes.

So what makes Mozilla so much better than Internet Explorer?

vdreignsuponus1
12-02-2006, 11:37 AM
frank, i never tried that alt-tab thing. that's awesome. :)

frank
12-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Cool. Alright so since this thread has gone to waste anyway, here are some more of my favorite shortcuts!

Windowskey+m = minimalize everything, which has the same effect as windowskey+d (desktop).
Windowskey+L logs you out of XP, but keeps the programs running.
F4 or F6 to go directly to the addressbar of IE.
And the Alt+Tab thing! :D

Also, trying to select different files from a list with one finger on the CTRL button is very handy.

Anyone got any more of these little tricks? :)

Mark Lucia
12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
There seems to be a communication issue both ways here. I misunderstood your post apparently and I apologize. However, I did not mean to say that your opinion is ridiculous (Leandroz's biased and lost opinion is!)

My point was that it's ridiculous, when a person A criticizes a person B, to ask the person A to show video proof of his superiority in order to accept his critique. That is what I find pointless and ridiculous.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Christopher.
no need to apologize brother I got the point.I re read what I wrote and I did come across like you said "my bad". I have the dreamthearter liquid tension vhs I thought mike p came across as a humble guy and laid out some simple things from his songs, slowly presented them for the not so advanced drummer so that drummers could learn those types of techniques an use there creativity to add to them.I thought that was cool.I just feel when someone cuts another down they are inplying that they have something better to offer.my reasoning may not be cool but I'm not perfect.Blessings!!to you again and a happy and safe Holiday! Mark

DavidPartay
12-02-2006, 06:43 PM
You use Alt+Tab to switch between applications - not just IE.

Use Ctrl+Tab to switch between tabs in Firefox

Firefox is more secure than IE, has better and more features which are well-rounded with age.

C.J.
12-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Cool. Alright so since this thread has gone to waste anyway, here are some more of my favorite shortcuts!

Windows key+m = minimalize everything, which has the same effect as windows key+d (desktop).
Windows key+L logs you out of XP, but keeps the programs running.
F4 or F6 to go directly to the address bar of IE.
And the Alt+Tab thing! :D

Also, trying to select different files from a list with one finger on the CTRL button is very handy.

Anyone got any more of these little tricks? :)

Yes but those are Windows hot keys not IE hot keys. You can do all that with Mozilla.

Oh and I'm sorry about the delay with the Deuveudeu I owe you - I have been experiencing some problems which need to be fixed in order to to send it to you. Don't worry; I have not forgotten at all and with a bit of luck it will be coming your way very soon.

Fourth
12-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey man, don't mention it! It was one of those "enlightened moments I had after a grueling double bass work regimen" moments. :D

I'm a new member here yeah, but I've been looking at the posts in this forum, and I say yes, I've definitely improved from what I've seen here. THANKS EVERYONE!

And yeah, I had to mention your name. I think it was in the second post of yours (DUDE :mad: :mad: ) that got me pissed off. I look up to Mike, and I give him most of my drumming years to his influence, and what he said was just...frustrating. An attack to your character and mine as well. (Yeah, butt off Leandro, I'm a fanboy!)

Just giving my two cents worth to what I thought. I just had to tell this butthead what he was doing. That's positive criticism for him anyway.

FOURTH
"Bathing your soul in silver tears...." - UNDER A GLASS MOON, Dream Theater

In response to FOURTH's post:

Now here's someone I really like. (Note: Not because he mentioned my name.)
You're a new member/poster here, but you really get the point! I couldn't have said it better than you have, ever...
Thank you, you've made my day.

(PS, I tried quoting Fourth's post a few times but my Explorer just froze, time and time again... is there something wrong with this forum or my computer?)

Edit: Quick reply DOES work! :confused:
Edit #2: Editing also works! :eek:

frank
12-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, you really wrote what I've always wanted to write, but never bothered to write. I mean, really... I don't consider him worthy of my attention, but I can't help reading his nonsense.. I just tend to act frustrated or not to respond at all..

Fanboy as well! (although I have to admit, the last DT record was a bit disappointing for me.)

Well, I'm a bigger fanboy of PX and I have really high expectations for their next album! From what I've heard, it's gonna be mind-blowing!

frank
12-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Yes but those are Windows hot keys not IE hot keys. You can do all that with Mozilla.

Oh and I'm sorry about the delay with the Deuveudeu I owe you - I have been experiencing some problems which need to be fixed in order to to send it to you. Don't worry; I have not forgotten at all and with a bit of luck it will be coming your way very soon.

Same here bro, I've had some problems over here, but I'll get to burning that thing ASAP. Talk to me on MSN alright? :)

(Btw, anyone else got MSN? Let's chat! :D)

Fourth
12-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, you really wrote what I've always wanted to write, but never bothered to write. I mean, really... I don't consider him worthy of my attention, but I can't help reading his nonsense.. I just tend to act frustrated or not to respond at all..

Fanboy as well! (although I have to admit, the last DT record was a bit disappointing for me.)

Well, I'm a bigger fanboy of PX and I have really high expectations for their next album! From what I've heard, it's gonna be mind-blowing!

Yeah man, OCTAVARIUM was really disappointing as well...(If my girlfriend digs a certain album, it should be good. In this case, she didn't even listen to Octavarium!)

Well, it's okay though...all im listening to the latest album would be the 27 minute "OCTAVARIUM". That's all.

I've never ever ever listened to Planet X, except for one : DOGBOOTS. Watched in on YouTube and my gawd! Amazing! Like what you said, completely insane! Mind-blowing! Those doubles really kick ass! How the hell does he do it!?

I've got to listen to more of Virgil. Must listen to him MORE MORE MORE. :D

Aheheh, no MSN for me here. I'm a YM guy. And man, I dig your wristbands dude.

FOURTH

Jameson
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
24-minute "Octavarium" :) *****

Matthias
12-04-2006, 12:06 AM
I absolutely LOVED Scenes from a Memory, and got a bit disappointed by 6DOIT, but actually that album isn't that bad either. And I also loved TOT, very heavy, but cool stuff! But Octavarium... really not quite the highlight of the band! I love the drumming of These Walls! Great drumming, cool ideas!

Fourth
12-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I absolutely LOVED Scenes from a Memory, and got a bit disappointed by 6DOIT, but actually that album isn't that bad either. And I also loved TOT, very heavy, but cool stuff! But Octavarium... really not quite the highlight of the band! I love the drumming of These Walls! Great drumming, cool ideas!

Who doesn't love SCENES man?! I couldn't get "Fatal Tragedy" off my mind when I heard the album...I was going like "Dugudugudug...dugudug" at my nursing classes!

Six Degrees took me into another level though, I particularly love "Blind Faith" and "Glass Prison", "The Test That Stumped Them All"...(ARGGH!) TOT got me listening to "This Dying Soul" so much I was singing "Help meeeeh...Save meeeh...I can't break through this prison wall..." :D

OCTAVARIUM kicked ass for me. But their move to move back into "roots" really disappointed me...where are the polyrhythms, the odd-times, the blazing guitar and keyboard solos? Goddamn.

Nevertheless, I still dig them. Hell yeah I do. XD

Can't wait for the new album though. I hope they do another "Images and Words" (the best album of DT for me by the way...just my opinion!)

FOURTH
"Desperate, crawling on my knees...." - THE GLASS PRISON

Milo Porto
12-06-2006, 07:16 AM
its ok spit.. all im doing is just spreading the joy of DT as much as virgil and many other greats in this music community :)

I don't like to do that...but I'm bored!

I vote too...

Ps:Sorry Milo that your topic turned this bad... :mad:

DrumsAreGood
12-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I was there. Fun stuff! Definitely an emotional evening. Portnoy did a very good job as usual. I think his appeal is definitely the fact that he is musical and really works his parts into the song in a unique way. Also, a lot of people can relate to him because he is like a lot of his fans in that he likes a lot of different kinds of music and just wants to have a good time! :)

Fourth
12-08-2006, 05:42 AM
I was there. Fun stuff! Definitely an emotional evening. Portnoy did a very good job as usual. I think his appeal is definitely the fact that he is musical and really works his parts into the song in a unique way. Also, a lot of people can relate to him because he is like a lot of his fans in that he likes a lot of different kinds of music and just wants to have a good time! :)

You're a lucky guy man. I've never watched a live show of DT. Oh how I wish they'd come here in the Philippines...actually, there were rumors of the GIGANTOUR going here in the Philippines (but yeah, they were just rumors...but how I wish DT would go here!)

Not a lot of people know Dream Theater here...but the Philippine fanbase of Dream Theater sure is a hell lot of people. Just one night! Just one night Dream Theater!

I'd sell my Eliminators to get a ticket!

(Okay okay, about me selling the Eliminators...that was a joke okay? :D)

FOURTH
"Isn't it time we cared...to lose the hate...understand our fears..." - BLIND FAITH, Dream Theater

Milo Porto
12-09-2006, 01:48 PM
You're a lucky guy man. I've never watched a live show of DT. Oh how I wish they'd come here in the Philippines...actually, there were rumors of the GIGANTOUR going here in the Philippines (but yeah, they were just rumors...but how I wish DT would go here!)

Not a lot of people know Dream Theater here...but the Philippine fanbase of Dream Theater sure is a hell lot of people. Just one night! Just one night Dream Theater!

I'd sell my Eliminators to get a ticket!

(Okay okay, about me selling the Eliminators...that was a joke okay? :D)

FOURTH
"Isn't it time we cared...to lose the hate...understand our fears..." - BLIND FAITH, Dream Theater

kamustaka fourth... my guitarist is phillipino... and my gawd..i must say phillipinos are sure talented...so far i havent seena phillipino that sucked at music.. im sure you know rivermaya.. thier pretty big here :D

petermakris
12-18-2006, 03:08 AM
i think mike portnoy is a good drummer and he has offered generally in the art of drumming...in my opinion the best thing mike portnoy did(at least in my country)was making the art of drumming famous to the people...

Fourth
12-18-2006, 06:06 AM
kamustaka fourth... my guitarist is phillipino... and my gawd..i must say phillipinos are sure talented...so far i havent seena phillipino that sucked at music.. im sure you know rivermaya.. thier pretty big here :D

HAHAHAH! Okay lang ako pare! Sure, Rivermaya is big here in the Philippines....they're a pretty good band.

Thanks for the compliment Milo Porto...Filipinos do excel at music...(And I hope I'm one of them Filipinos who excel at it...I suck at my instrument!)

Tell your guitarist this..."HUY! Pare musta ka? Galing ng drummer mo man!"

*winks*

FOURTH

C.J.
12-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Fourth!

Filipino ang nanay ko. Taga saan ka sa Filipinas? :)

Regards,
Christopher.

Milo Porto
12-18-2006, 11:20 AM
HAHAHAH! Okay lang ako pare! Sure, Rivermaya is big here in the Philippines....they're a pretty good band.

Thanks for the compliment Milo Porto...Filipinos do excel at music...(And I hope I'm one of them Filipinos who excel at it...I suck at my instrument!)

Tell your guitarist this..."HUY! Pare musta ka? Galing ng drummer mo man!"

*winks*

FOURTH

whoah..ok..S.T.O.P what does that mean..i dont want my guitarist to come slashing his guitar in my face..and kill me..LOL :D