PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Clinic(s)

The Wes
05-15-2003, 10:52 PM
What are some of your favorite drum clinics you've attended?

For me it would have to be:

1) Mike Mangini - this man is absolutely amazing. For anyone who is interested in seeing someone along the same playing calibur as Virgil, check him out

2) Will Kennedy/Bob Gatzen - I thought both Will and Bob are outstanding fusion jazz players and extremely knowledgeable about what they do. Of course, Bob Gatzen is just a plain out genius (you can thank him for many things you use today)

3) Virgil Donati - no need to state the obvious

4) Frank Briggs - Frank is an outstanding studio player with good approach and blazing single strokes.

DoubleBass_Rob
05-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Aside from the obvious (virg) Mine would have to be Dom Famularo. He had us in stiches for ages.

CuthberT
05-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Im pretty at the beginning of drumming !
I have a
Pearl New Export ( ha ha ha) with 12" 13 " and 16 "
Tom Toms and a 22 " Bass drum
14" Sabien hi HAt and a 14 " AMUN meinl HI at
ZIldjian A Medium Thin Crash 17 "
and a 22" Sabien ride Becken
Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double bass machine and a standart hi hat stand that came with the kit
powerstroke 3 as batter
and powerstroke 3 ebony coated as reso head ( on bassdrum both )
On snare remo weaherking coated ambassadir as batter and weatherking snaresides as reso......
on the toms still the crappy factory heads
Im planing to get remo pinstripes as batter and clear weatherkings as reso....

DoubleBass_Rob
05-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Wrong thread :-)

zoso
05-18-2003, 08:07 PM
MY FIRST POST HERE...
mmm
dave weckl, steve smith, horacio hernandez, greg bissonette.

Fat Mike
05-27-2003, 07:46 AM
1. Virgil
2. Mike Portnoy
3. Dave Lombardo (a genius for someone fully self taught)
4. Zoro (that guy grooves like a mofo)
5. Dom Famularo (one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, and defenitely the best drumming motivational speakers out there...you can totally relate to everything the guy says and hes a funny guy too...and he loves virgil too) :)
6. Dave weckl (the jazz/latin stuff he does is totally mind blowing)
7. Vinnie Colaiuta - He was the king before virgil stepped onto the scene
8. Me - In my bedroom blowing myself away on the kit as i develop each day as a better drummer

Holand
05-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Well, my favorite clinic must be the only one I've been to.
And that's with Virg.
.....mindblowing

quitou
05-29-2003, 09:27 AM
I saw Weckl last year...pretty amazing stuff...he makes it look so easy...I'm going to see Bozzio and Mangini next week...should be a killer time. I can hardly wait. Never seen virgil live though...that's one that I'll have to do before to long...him and Vinnie.

drumwild
06-01-2003, 06:55 PM
My fav was a Terry Bozzio clinic at West LA Music.

He was playing this HUGE kit outdoors with a giant banner over his kit. He walked onto the stage, being very serious, dressed in black.

As he began to play his cymbals with a violin bow, the banner came untied on one side, falling down and draping over the kit.

Terry fell to his knees and laughed uncontrollably for about two minutes before saying, "I knew something was going to go wrong tonight, and I'm glad it's over with."

quitou
06-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Saw Bozzio last night...great clinic...the guy is amazing...and his drumset is something else...he gave some good hints on how to develop ostinatos

jonberg
06-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Iīve been on some clinics in my life like: Bozzio,Portnoy,Minneman,Rabb,Lang,Famularo and of course Donati.
Iīm a huge fan of Virgil as everybody here and the clinic I saw him was in Stockholm in sept 2000.
It was so amazing to see such sheer power and precise technique...I have recorded the clinic on MD and listening back to it, you get to hear so many things you just forget when you see him live.
I hope that everyone who hasnīt seen Virgil live SOON will do!!!!

frank
06-05-2003, 07:20 AM
I've seen Virgil Donati, Mike Portnoy, and Terry Bozzio. Bozzio wasn't as good as I had expected. I'm sorry to say, but he just uses this HUGE kit, which is pretty cool, but he just kept on doing several things on and on and on... Like he had a song, Quintessence, which was a really cool idea, playing RR LLL RR LLL with his bassdrums, and soloing freely with the hands! Amazing.. but he kept on doing that for about 10 - 15 minutes!! Well that just bores the shit out of me..! And the entire show went like that.. great ideas but it just went on too long. Except for the encore, where he finally started playing for REAL, and making the coolest riffs. A great drummer, but just didn't like his performance.
Mike Portnoy was great, he played along some of my favorite DT tunes, and even did some TransAtlantic. It was my first clinic I had ever seen and I'd never heard of Virgil, so to me, Mike was THE MAN... :)

Virgil's performance was SICK! He explained some freaky stuff like Ground Zero, and Alien Hip-Hop. We all got papers with the tabs, notations, partitures (sorry I don't know the correct english word.. hope you ppl understand what I mean.. :)), of those songs, and more... Very cool. We even got the chance to ask him to play something.. I was the first to raise my hand and BEG for Space Martini! :) He then accidently started to play drumspeak (which is even better!, another great double bass drum piece in 7/8, and I was shocked. :) Virgil's the BEST!!

\m/

mikkeydee
06-08-2003, 08:52 AM
mike mangini's... in his China clinic.. as i interpreted for him

quitou
06-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Saw Mike Mangini yesterday...good lord!!! Absolutely sick...I had to pick my jaw up off the ground a few times. He plays so fast and accurately with both his hands and feet. How does he compare to Virgil??? I've never seen virgil live...has anybody seen both of them???

kirk
06-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Have seen Mangini four times and Virg three, would rather watch or listen to Virgil anyday, even though Mike is technically amazing.
He probaly is the most ambidextrious drummer alive, is super fast and precise and has fantastic independence, but so does Virgil, but Virgil is much more creative, diverse and overall tasteful in his application of technique of course that is only my opinion. Virgil plays with much better touch, Mike has a typical hard rock feel it just comes across as stiff I have seen this both in his clinics and playing with Vai. His dynamic level is at one setting LOUD and hard which is fine but I like other sides to one's playing. Guys like Virg and Mangini and Minneman and Lang are MONSTERS! doing things others cannot but along with the extreme ability I like diversity and styles where touch and taste are employed to a greater extent and Music is expressed in ways beyond the extreme technique which is where Virgil excels beyond Mangini or Minneman again in my opinion only, I have been watching the new CAB dvd and Virg plays with great restraint, excellent feel and and very good taste but has the extreme technique when he needs it. I LOVE the whole package Virg brings to the table. Mangini is a monster for sure and I greatly respect and admire him and like much of what he does, I just want more than I get from listening or watching him.

jonberg
06-10-2003, 02:00 AM
I got to agree with you Kirk...
...Iīve seen Virgil in action once and also heard all his work with Planet X, OTV, Mark Boals, ROF etc...
...and compared with Minneman and Mangini (which I altso have seen live and heard on records) they arenīt on the same level of creativity. All of these guys have sick technique and precision in their playing...but Virg is simply much more versatile.
He grooves in another sense than these guys, but I guess (like I had an discussion with, I think it was you Kirk) itīs a attitude thing. Virgil doesnīt groove in the same way as Weckl, and Weckl doesnīt groove like Vinnie and so on...but they all groove, but in THEIR way. Thatīs what makes is fun and interesting to listen to other drummers in different bands.

Keep on drumming!

quitou
06-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Steve Smith is doing a clinic up here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada tomorrow as part of the Calgary Jazz Festival. He's doing the clinic during the day and then playing a gig at night...should be fun to watch.