PDA

View Full Version : What Drummer Has Most Influenced Your Style?

sabian545
06-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Just wondering about all you guys. For me, It's DEFINITELY Josh Eppard of Coheed and Cambria. His style is so totally completely unlike everyone else out there, not to mention how much he totally rocks out and goes crazy at the same time. :D

vdreignsuponus1
06-12-2006, 07:47 AM
style? probably weckl and colaiuta for me..

mrnuclearpants
06-12-2006, 05:31 PM
seeing Virgil at a clinic for the first time (also being my first exposure to him) has had the most profound impact on my playing evaaaaaaaar. And forever more

analoguekid
06-12-2006, 06:40 PM
completely off the radar for what this board is about:
Jeff Porcaro...groove groove groove and really understated chops.

Sillyman
06-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Virgil donati is my heroe and my most inspiration in my drumming. Buddy rich is the king of hands and Dennis and John Blackwell Jr. for the funk!!!!

Markdude465
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
completely off the radar for what this board is about:
Jeff Porcaro...groove groove groove and really understated chops.

I second that. Jeff's was the first instructional tape I ever saw/got, and frankly, my whole life can be devided into two sections: before that, and after that.

Welcome to the board, btw!

electrizer
06-12-2006, 10:52 PM
i remember that i started a similar thread some time ago ;) but... in this order: V. Donati, D. Chambers, M. Portnoy. and many other obviously but these gentlemen make my drumming what it is now.

Matthias
06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Virgil divided my life in two sections, drumming-wise, and at the moment I'm somewhat studying Steve Smith. He has an unspectacular style of drumming in a way, but he grooves, he swings, he's got chops, and I like Vital Information :D !

andy_da_drummer
06-13-2006, 05:56 AM
The biggest influence on my playing is definately the two drummer superstars, Virgil Donati and Thomas Lang, there playing is undiscribable. The only way to really experience their techinque and power is live you cant truely understand them until you have seen them live its just awsome and the best rush you could ever get!!!

All the best every1

Andy Bridgwood

mathcore
06-13-2006, 06:20 AM
when I 1st started Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and Nicko McBrain, and lately too many to mention, but Virgil is the obvious one plus Deen Castronovo, Derek Roddy and Bobby Jarzombek to name a few.

Matthias
06-13-2006, 06:55 AM
The biggest influence on my playing is definately the two drummer superstars, Virgil Donati and Thomas Lang, there playing is undiscribable. The only way to really experience their techinque and power is live you cant truely understand them until you have seen them live its just awsome and the best rush you could ever get!!!

All the best every1

Andy Bridgwood

I really don't want to start a bashing-thing, but IMHO you can't compare Virgil and Thomas! Virgil is in a league of his own, and Lang is 'just' technically unbelievable. Musically, there isn't happening very much. I don't say there always have to be 32th's and polyrhythms and sick chops etc, but IMO Thomas doesn't (can't) use his technical abilities by far.

Sorry, I respect your influences and it's perfectly fine, just my 2 cents ;) .

Jameson
06-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Mangini and Portnoy. Oftentimes I try to imitate Bernard Purdie, but it seldom turns out the way I want it to.

@Matthias: I don't think he was comparing the two, he was just saying he considers them both to be phenominal drummers...

Sillyman
06-14-2006, 07:25 PM
yeah there's nothing wrong to have Virgil and thomas as major inspirations . The guy gets inspiration by the two of them.

Matthias
06-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I'm perfectly with you guys, it's just that they were called "the two superstars"...

Oh yes btw, Portnoy of course, or the whole DT-band had/has a big impact on my drumming too, and also Mike Bordin w/ Faith No More.

KarnEvil
06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I'm perfectly with you guys, it's just that they were called "the two superstars"...

Oh yes btw, Portnoy of course, or the whole DT-band had/has a big impact on my drumming too, and also Mike Bordin w/ Faith No More.

Mike Bordin had a backbeat like a piledriver, i'm surprised his stick didn't go flying through the snare he hits it so godamn hard

Jameson
06-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Yeah, Bordin is great. I was first introduced to him through Ozzy's "Live at Budokan" DVD, and was surprised to find he played in FNM. He's phenominal.

Hanre
06-15-2006, 11:59 PM
For me: Tony Williams, Jack Dejohnette(can't spell it right now), Virgil & Lang, Danny Carey!!, Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, Steve Smith ect. But most of all, it would be Gary Chester...
There is just too much to say, it would be easier to tell you guys who influenced my style at what stage in my carreer...it has been changing around forever...Still, Gary Chester had the biggest impact...

pcannon
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Shaleen,Peart,Weckl,Donati,Lang,Mulch.

mathcore
06-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Mike Bordin had a backbeat like a piledriver, i'm surprised his stick didn't go flying through the snare he hits it so godamn hard

Mike bordin has been and will always be a great influence and inspiration. I'm a die hard FNM fan.

Old School
06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Rich and Morello with a little Krupa thrown in for flair here.

king_chicken
06-19-2006, 06:25 PM
1. martin lopez from opeth (or used to be)
2. steve gadd
3. danny carey
4. thomas haake

toteman2
06-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Virgil, Vinnie, Carey, Weckl, Gadd, Sexton, Portnoy, Bonham, Ringo, Lars (I can't help it. I grew up in the 80's and Metallica was the ****. Every little kid (like myself at the time) dreamed about playing the 6's with the bass durring "one". I'm not ashamed to admit it).

Fonzydrum
06-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Virgil, Tico Torres, Paul Simmons, Mike Portnoy, Marco Minnemann, Akira Jimbo ...

IronCobraMan
06-25-2006, 08:27 AM
virgil , tomas haake , derek roddy

frank
06-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Mike Portnoy
Virgil Donati
Simon Phillips