PDA

View Full Version : Your Progress Over The Years....

RLRRLRLL!!
03-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I was just wonderin'....do you have a record of your improvement over the years???...have you ever been in a situation where you have to practice something new (doubles on the feet for example)...and you totally think you CAN'T do it, and after years of practice,...you suddenly realize...I'M ACTUALLY PLAYIN' THIS #$%5!!!!!......have you ever been in that spot???...and BTW, how do you get motivated thru those tedious 110 bpm practice sessions???...do you actually imagine the future and see yourself playin' the things you wanna play....or do you actually have FUN playin' slow??

jonberg
03-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Actually I do have an recording of the first time I started practicing doubles with the feet about 7years ago. And since then Iīve been recording most of my practise sessions. Itīs fun to go back and listen and see the progress yourself, always good to record yourself and see your weaknessess.
I think you have to have a goal with your practise to maintain focused on it, I guess I saw myself playing doubles like Virgil did, but I gave up that idea after awhile ;)

Helmet
03-18-2006, 03:08 AM
I had real difficulty applying flams to patterns about three years ago - they just sounded cack, then I realised after seeing Thomas Lang that as the speed up you can bring the grace and accent notes really close together (but not simultaneous) to accommodate. Realising this has meant now it's simple to add them and do so dynamically. I find that practice will perfect a concept but you need a foundation idea like that to stop you from practising what could be the wrong thing.

roxz
03-18-2006, 03:47 AM
Every now and then I realise how easy it would have been if I knew it earlier

Footsoldier88
03-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I was just wonderin'....do you have a record of your improvement over the years???...have you ever been in a situation where you have to practice something new (doubles on the feet for example)...and you totally think you CAN'T do it, and after years of practice,...you suddenly realize...I'M ACTUALLY PLAYIN' THIS #$%5!!!!!......have you ever been in that spot???...and BTW, how do you get motivated thru those tedious 110 bpm practice sessions???...do you actually imagine the future and see yourself playin' the things you wanna play....or do you actually have FUN playin' slow??
Hey, great topic for conversation. I am real happy that I kept a daily journal and some video excerpts of when I began working on speed stuff because I remember at the time (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...wait, I'm not that old! lol) that I knew I could achieve fast speeds if I just stuck with it and remained dedicated. Staying true to the art of speed playing and shrugging off all the "sour grapers" i.e. "that's not music" or "speed is not important" was sometimes hard for me to constantly deal with at an early age. Plus, there were no "metal" teachers in my area and the internet was still something new when I was working on improving my speed. Don't get me wrong though, the many teachers I had were very instrumental in stressing all the fundamentals and making sure I had all the tools to become a flexible player. I put in a lot of time before speed playing took over my life lol. I just didn't have access to all the technology that has recently sprung up but I'm glad I didn't give up. You could imagine all those times where I wasn't sure if I was going about speed playing the right way; going to enough shows and asking the right people helped me find satisfaction knowing that it doesn't come over night (which I kinda figured) and there is no right way or magical pill to take to instantly get fast. All these things reminded me of the things I learned while training in other areas.
Since I have been boxing and iron lifting addict lol for a long time, a lot of the helpful principles found in those disciplines definitely carried over to my drumming and music world as a whole. For example, writing down what I lifted, how many times, how each session was, helped me chart my progress. This not only helped me become a better and faster lifter but I avoided burn out and becoming stale. I know a lot of drummers who work on speed every day but, I learned, not only from experience but from being an active runner as well, that it can hinder progress. Runners and powerlifters don't (at least I'm pretty sure they don't) work on interval training session every day, that would really burn them out. However, I am not advocating skipping practicing, just not practicing at your max speed every single day. I found it particularly helpful to do an every other day session and the in between days, I practiced to recordings and other stuff to stay sharp and avoid overtraining.
Working on becoming better is no easy task and sure, playing shows and not hearing positive feedback from others can sometimes take a toll on a young drummer's psyche. However, if YOU are satisified with your own playing and YOU know that you're good, then the positive feedback is not necessary but just an extra bonus (if it comes at all lol) - it's occasionally nice to hear and receive though lol.

mathcore
03-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I wish I had video of me practicing and playing. I don't keep dates but I write and rewrite my practice routine since I started lessons a couple of years ago. Before that I use to play along with records. Nice topic diddle. I remember like a year ago that I started playing doubles with my feet and I could hardly do them at 60 bpm. I've gained speed, endurance and control, but I still have A LOT of work to do, so I can say that I totally enjoy playing slow at the beggining of each exercise

stefan_vortex
03-19-2006, 08:56 AM
footsoldier..i was goin to quote your post if it werent so HUGE :D you are right especially about the speed stuff-i practice speed and endurance with feet and hands in different days for example today i played lots of double bass technical exercises, so now in the evening i am doin some coordination stuff..tomorrow it will be paradiddle, flam, and single stroke marathon :)... about the enjoying thing, well...i just sit behind the drums and know that i have to practice, some times i dont feel like playing some times i am having grea fun, but you see, if you want to be good at something u should be aware that sometimes u will want to go out with friendsand stuff but you will cannt because u have to practice-it is the same with athletes, scientists, musician...sad in a way butu choose it

Footsoldier88
03-19-2006, 12:57 PM
footsoldier..i was goin to quote your post if it werent so HUGE :D you are right especially about the speed stuff-i practice speed and endurance with feet and hands in different days for example today i played lots of double bass technical exercises, so now in the evening i am doin some coordination stuff..tomorrow it will be paradiddle, flam, and single stroke marathon :)... about the enjoying thing, well...i just sit behind the drums and know that i have to practice, some times i dont feel like playing some times i am having grea fun, but you see, if you want to be good at something u should be aware that sometimes u will want to go out with friendsand stuff but you will cannt because u have to practice-it is the same with athletes, scientists, musician...sad in a way butu choose it
Hey Stephen, I'm glad you agree with some of the stuff I said and I definitely agree with what you said "...sometimes you will want to go out with friends..."; to be good, sometimes you have to sacrifice some stuff at times. It ain't easy to do but it pays off in the long run.

Lad.
03-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm lucky then, being at home all of the time with nothing to do. I practice, but rarely for more than 45 minutes when I do play. For doing that for 5 years, and being able to play what I can at this point, you could say I'm not doing so bad. Although I am stuck in a rut about speed and endurance, I think that somewhere along the line that ties in with stick control, and accenting capability. Most drum instructers and fellow musicians would probobly haze my way of "practicing", but it's what comes naturally. It's more of a natural growth than a forced one. Who knows.

Things that I do notice through recording myself from time to time is that my strokes sound much cleaner in the recording than they do when I'm doing it in real time. Also, my timing isn't so bad for never strenuously practicing with a metronome. A lot of drummers seem so keen on a metronome, and I'm sure they're that way for a reason. I just personally never invested in one. I'm a low-budget drummer. I'll shush it now.

DrumsAreGood
03-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Well actually I definitely have record of how well bad I was. Well I was starting out you know.

14 years old. Percussion plus kit. high hat and a ride/crash you know! haha. I have tapes of me playing on it both when I was in 7th grade and 8th grade. Modest beginnings. I played the kit in the third floor/attic which later became my room. It is actually about 6 feet tall.

I switched to a Mapex drum set in high school sometime. That is when I think I got "good" at drums. The big thing was getting Under the Table and Drumming by Carter Beuford. I have some record of that drum set especially at its pinnacle. I recorded a cd with my high school rock band. It was a five song demo. We did one live performance for my school and I do a drum solo which you know wasn't spectacular by the standards here but in my mindset where I was in high school and the people around me it was pretty good. I guess I should say there wasn't really any competition hah.

I started building this Tama monster a couple years ago. I would say two and in that short time my playing improved big time. Back in school I could have never imagined playing Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater like I can now. But as I begin to study more of the drumming in metal and jazz that I love I realize how much further I have to go. But I am about to get some jazz lessons and I am looking at the Flo dvd because I really want to be able to hold more up tempo double bass and blast well. I love blasting and it seems like everyone can do it really well except for me haha.

Drums are so much fun!