PDA

View Full Version : 21 month old drummer

43%dillinger
03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
so...theres a 21 month old drummer boy, julian, in my metro detroit area. apparently, hes played with some big names, and crowds of 30,000 people. i got really excited when i first heard about this story cuz one bassist he jammed with, ralph armstrong, described him as a reincarnation of buddy rich and tony williams (!) but to my disappointment, i found a video online and i just dunno what to say...

story: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006603080317

video (only one i could find for now) http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200660308002

i dont wanna make any quick opinions cuz it is just a first impression, but so far i really dont see what the big deal is! is this really what a "prodigy" is??

Soya
03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I can't compete with that.

Footsoldier88
03-08-2006, 05:52 PM
so...theres a 21 month old drummer boy, julian, in my metro detroit area. apparently, hes played with some big names, and crowds of 30,000 people. i got really excited when i first heard about this story cuz one bassist he jammed with, ralph armstrong, described him as a reincarnation of buddy rich and tony williams (!) but to my disappointment, i found a video online and i just dunno what to say...

video (only one i could find for now) http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200660308002

i dont wanna make any quick opinions cuz it is just a first impression, but so far i really dont see what the big deal is! is this really what a "prodigy" is??
I defintely agree with ya. It is cute to watch but I think a lot of parents get caught up with the "my kid is better than yours" mentality. I teach in NY and a lot of parents have kids doing twenty thousand different things (soccer, karate, yoga - no not yoga just kiddin lol) and rather then have them master one thing first, a lot of them wind up being jack of all trades, masters of none. Sometimes, the kid should decide what he/she likes rather than the parents choosing for him/her.

frank
03-09-2006, 05:31 AM
That kid needs to work on his rudiments man!! :D

drummaman1
03-09-2006, 06:59 AM
I can't help you guys if you can't hear the "Tony" licks... :D :D

Everyone is hoping, everyone is thinking...that their kid is "the one"...

It's just something people hope for...it's the same with sports

considering this youngster, there are some things I noticed...most kids with sticks in their hands in front of a drum kit would just "wave their arms around" and whatever sound comes out, it comes out. This kid it looked to me, was "listening" to what he was playing. The playing and the pauses he was taking shows me something a little more than just waving arms around.

Then again, not many 21 month olds can hold thier own in a rhythm section with Ralph Armstrong. Not many adults can, either.

So, let them talk about their kid being the next "boy wonder". Parents can dream, can't they???

mathcore
03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
My son is 2.5 years old and he's got a mini kit, but has never played a real size one. I'd love he learns lots of instruments and everything, but if he doesn't for now I don't cara. The only thing that matters is that he enjoys life and at some point he'll find what he really loves to do and I'll give him my 100% support.

vdreignsuponus1
03-09-2006, 06:18 PM
that kid has quite a kit for his age!

OnFermataDrum
03-09-2006, 09:48 PM
wow... sweet DW kit is all i have to say. bass player is good. But the kid... not even cute ;)

Footsoldier88
03-10-2006, 07:35 AM
My son is 2.5 years old and he's got a mini kit, but has never played a real size one. I'd love he learns lots of instruments and everything, but if he doesn't for now I don't cara. The only thing that matters is that he enjoys life and at some point he'll find what he really loves to do and I'll give him my 100% support.
Hey mathcore,
You sound like my loving and very supportive parents;it was their encouragement and guidance that always helped me to believe in myself and stay on the right path. Sometimes those extra eyes and ears can really make a difference in how someone turns out. You sound like the right type of parent to me!

C.J.
03-10-2006, 07:59 AM
That's a bit too much! Maybe he will be another Tony Royster some day but for
now it's just a big Freak Show. And about recording a CD... C'mon!

It's cute to see, but all I can think is "Poor kido!". It's like he's being exploited.

DrummZ
03-10-2006, 12:26 PM
I heard that video was a bit disappointing because
they set up his chair too high, so he couldn't reach
the pedals..

frank
03-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah but if you set his chair lower, he can't reach the toms and cymbals! :)

Jameson
03-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Is it just me, or does it look like he tries the freehand technique at about 54 seconds in? I know it's probably coincidence, but that caught my eye!

Drumcanman
03-10-2006, 04:59 PM

Yes Children are Cute
NO he is not a prodigy....
No offence to the child drummer
My Son could do this as well when he was about the same age and I am sure there are lots of kids as well.
every parent wants ther kid to be the next Buddy Rich.....
Playing with a bass player like that should inspire the kid to play better with him.
Buddy Rich was doing Vaudeville at 22 months and playing rhythmical things as traps the drum wonder.
If he keeps at it he will be a great drummer
God Bless
Tim

Lad.
03-27-2006, 01:32 PM
The nature of this video is comical, and I agree with you all on some degree, but since I have a terrible 56k connection, I'll never hear the whole recording. Later on the in the video, this kid could pull out a double paradiddle technique around the kit and I woudln't even know it. I hate living in Tibet. No cable 4 m3, 61y47c\-\!!

but the single strokes in the VERY beginning made me double take. How does that kid know?

hemi
03-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Usually parents that are exploiting their kids don't laugh as hard as that guy was. Parents that exploit their kids are usually in the back coaching and pushing beyond the childs limits, if this was his dad, his dad was having major fun and getting major enjoyment from it. The kid seemed very happy to play too. It's all in good fun for right now it seems.

Praseodymium
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
his feet are ridiculous!

Lad.
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Wait wait wait, did you say feet? Somewhere in this video, this kid actually uses his feet? You guys really make me hate where I live. With cable or dsl, I wouldn't have to wonder what the crap you guys are talking about and I'd watch the video myself. Long live the 56k. PSHH, not.

cdrummerboy33
03-30-2006, 05:10 PM
if you give any kid a set of sticks and a drum set he will bang endlessly! its just simple banging! i am 15 years old, and when my friends come over and we go and just hang out in the basement and whatnot, the second they see my kit they run over and start banging edless just like that little kid!! (and they are 15)

Markdude465
03-30-2006, 08:39 PM
No, no... they're exploiting him: (http://www.littledrummerbaby.com/)

Note the media coverage... (http://www.littledrummerbaby.com/News.html) Just sad.

MSNBC's Keith Olberman in the first clip: "His dad said julian first picked up the sticks when he was on daddy's lap at the age of three months; at six months, he was already better than ringo." Uh-huh.

The first thing I said when I saw this kid: "Why the HELL is he on that big-ass seven piece, and who in their right mind would give him a pair of 8D's?!" If I ever had a kid who showed any interest in drumming, I'd get him a custom kit with components proportional to his size - and at 36" tall, that means 13" kick, 6, 8, and 10 inch toms, 9 1/2" by 3" snare, etc. (And some sort of half-sized pedals - I saw a really tiny pearl hi-hat thing at guitar center once.) And that's if he showed some interest. [edit: oh yeah, and that means about 8" or 9" by .330" sticks.]

That's another thing... His father claimed he started on his own... but if you look at the video they have of him at fifteen months, (http://www.littledrummerbaby.com/videos/15month.wmv) listen to him. "Keep going, Julian. Do a drumroll, now, do a drumroll... right here. No, here..." ...grr.

"A prodigy is someone who's playing at an elite level at an abnormally young age," said Kendra Whitlock, director of pops and specials for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. "It's not just banging around and keeping time."

But in spite of all that, the kid's got something. And even if he chooses to remain an unenhanced biological intelligence with the comming "singularity" of technilogical development that he'll see in his lifetime (as well as all of us under fifty... yes fifty... read Kurzweil (http://singularity.com/) ...), he'll still be a master. (if he keeps at it and all.)

KarnEvil
03-30-2006, 10:16 PM
randomly hitting things... what a prodigy

Wankmaster Joe
04-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Wait wait wait, did you say feet? Somewhere in this video, this kid actually uses his feet? You guys really make me hate where I live. With cable or dsl, I wouldn't have to wonder what the crap you guys are talking about and I'd watch the video myself. Long live the 56k. PSHH, not.

Hehehe the guy was being sarcastic, the kid doesn't use his feet, hes too short.

OnFermataDrum
04-04-2006, 09:43 PM
i like how long this discussion lasted...