PDA

View Full Version : Snaredrum tunings..likes and dislikes?

morgenthaler
11-18-2003, 02:11 PM
What I am talking about is this.... we all have different likings when it comes to ,especially, snare tuning. Some guy recomended to have a listen to the recent Metallica album because of the snare...well I am sorry but I hated that snaredrumsound!
Here is a list of my favorites, - please give me some more to check out...

-Simon Phillips : "No love":from Mindfields by TOTO
-Vinnie Colaiuta: "Love is stronger than justice" from 10 summoners tales by Sting
-Virgil: "Chocolate" from Universe by Planet X
-Jeff Porcaro: "Calling Elvis" from On every street by Dire Straits
-Steve Holley: (All album!) Live by Joe Cocker
-Virgil: All tracks from Serious Young Insects
-Virgil: "Euphoria" from The moon is falling by Joel Hoekstra
-Abe Laboriel Jr: Inconsolable from Plumb by Jonatha Brooke

I have many more, - but would really appreciate your views, thoughts and tastes!

maggimus
11-18-2003, 02:26 PM
Well I agree with U Jeppe that the snare sound on the latest Metallica album is not godd,I actually think it's horrible! Well...I like to tune my snare a bit high but recently I've tuned it sort of "medium" tension. My "list" would also be similar to yours actually..I've listened to "Ten summoners tales" about a million times and I like the drumsound on that one,same goes for Virgil's recordings U mentioned but I'd like to add the song "Fire Island" from The moon is falling especially about 1:56 mins. into that song during the bass solo..I also love Virgil's groove there...SO SWEET!!!! :)

tradfreak
11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
i love tuning that is nice and tight (but not chocked of course), lots of crack... and little (sweet ringin') overtones when doing rimshots...

i like Vinnies tuning o his snare, and some of Abe jr. ... and steve holmes' (HOD) tuning on his dvd promo clip and solo (great drummer, check out his instructional video on his site)... check it out:

http://www.houseofdrumming.com/dvdpromo.zip
http://www.houseofdrumming.com/steveholmes.zip

windowsmediaplayer format...

Arf!
11-18-2003, 09:36 PM
JoJo Mayer with NERVE.

Brobjer
11-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Some CD's w/ great snare sound:

OTV - Serious young insects
John Mayer - Room for Squares
Dennis Chambers w/ Mike Stern
Symphony X - The Odyssey

etc etc.

As you see, I like the snare tuned high, but with a lot of bottom in it and a pretty big reverb on it. It is important that it isn't a short and flat and corny (popcorn) sound like, for example, Mike Portnoy's. I don't like his sound or playing at all.

- Brobjer - www.andreasbrobjeronline.cjb.net

alencore
11-18-2003, 10:23 PM
I just love the snare sound on that Red Hot Chilli Pepper song GIVE IT AWAY.
Spin Doctor snare sound is also nice on that pop tune TWO PRINCESS.

Yeah I like it high, tight and ringy. Sometime i do damp it a little on certain songs.

Lucius
11-19-2003, 03:19 AM
I really like Langs snare drum cound on both of his CD's, i also really like Vinnies, and i used to be in love with Chad Smiths snare drum sound on blood sugar earlier on in my playing! haha, i still do, but i have found other sounds to my liking, but man, i CANT STAND Steve Smiths snare drum sound to his left on the dvd, it just rubs me the wrong way!! :D

Tom24
11-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Maybe somebody remembers this Virigil - Tony - Bynoe 2002 Soundcheck recording, i really like the snare, dont know why.

Always loved Simon Phillips snaresound, everywhere, i think the best drumsound overall can be found on Vantage Point, the sound overall is so great/balanced/ and perfectly fitting.
there's a song on symbiosis called Biplane To Bermuda, the rim is sounding very good also.

A Snare which i really hate, is Dave weckls piccolo brass in the early days, every hit is hurting :D and virgils snare in the CAB @ MI DVD, sounds also very painful to me, sometimes i can't listen to the music because i can't take the snare.

timthedrummer
11-20-2003, 08:42 PM
best snare tracks-
-anything by 311 especially come original and sever (i dont like my snare that tight anymore)
- new POD single 'will you'
- a perfect circle 'the hollow'
- aussie band 'butterfly effect' new album 'begins here'
- aussie band 'melodyssey' album 'distance and regret'
- anything by thomas lang
- anything by directions in groove (aussie band)
- deftones 'white pony' album
- incubus ' make urself' album
- anything by filter
- rage against the machine self titled album
cheers

MaltBuddow3
11-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Yeah... I hate LARS SNARE DRUM!!!!!!!! If you can find anything new with David Garibaldi (Tower of Power), his sig, snare is the most crackin of all time. The best place to hear it would be in his Video's Tower of Groove Parts 1 and 2. I love Weckl's sound on "The Zone." If you really wanna hear some great sounds listen to the guys who get ALL THE GIGS!!!!: Vinnie Colaiuta, Kenny Aronoff, Abe Laboriel Jr.... as for my snare sound... I play a PHATTIE DRUMS custom 4x13 with four 2 inch vent holes!!!! I tune it real tight for a great phat sound. Check out Phattie Drums new site on Dec. 1st at PHATTIE DRUMS (http://www.phattiedrums.com). These are the best sounding drums on earth!!!

Poncho
11-23-2003, 08:01 AM
I really love the sound of Ahmir Guestlove's snare. He plays with the Roots.

alencore
11-23-2003, 08:32 AM
I think they have tuned the snare drum on our club gig way too high my left hand gets too beat up. tnk god i have this padded sticks to lessen the shock.

timthedrummer
11-24-2003, 06:29 PM
i had a brady snare for a little while anf it sounded absolutely killer...
traded it in for eliminators tho cuz i got given another snare and my old double kick was falling apart!!

MaltBuddow3
11-27-2003, 07:46 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm....... Bradyyyyyyy........