PDA

View Full Version : Ostinato help

Xen-
11-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Hello, :D

I'm currently working on an ostinato played in four with the feet and in three with the left hand. Now my problem is my right hand: it follows the feet and can't get out of straight 8th's or 16th's. Is there an easy way to play triplets over the ostinato, 5's, 7's, 9's, etc.? Thanks!

maggimus
11-15-2003, 11:23 AM
I've been working on sort of similar thing for a while and I've been struggling alot.What I've found out is that most of the time I'm trying to play this faster than I really can..so..I'd practice this REALLY slow and figure out which strokes hit together or overlap.....good luck bro!! :)

Arf!
11-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Exactly. You must be able to hear what all the polyrhythms sound like before you get into it. If you have a music program, put in all the polyrhythms (5:3, 7:3, 9:3, whatever) and feel how they line up. Once you can just feel those polyrhthms anytime you want, it will be much easier to put the odd groupings over the ostinato.

Xen-
11-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Sorry Chris, I really have to start posting those threads in Tips & Techniques.

marlos
07-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi take a look at my video "the ostinato" on www.edrums.gr for a few polyrhythmic examples ... Begins with a 4/4 multipedl ostinato , orchestrated on 4 pedals.. with free solo on top , then there is a 5/8 ostinato with a 3/8 pattern with the right hand , and soloing with the left and a 7/8 ostinato with a single hand roll on the right and a swing pattern on the left
Hope you enjoy this .. I am using the Duallist pedals

Cheers Panos

KarnEvil
07-21-2005, 05:30 PM
One question i have about polys is, is when your playing polyrhythms are you counting everything, or are you feeling and hearing how each polyryhthm sounds and then executing it. I find it impossible to actually recall polys on the run, i guess they really have to get burned in. And when practicing them, do you recommend counting everything, or "squeezing" notes as you see fit and estimating to your best ability.