PDA

View Full Version : floating

Andrew black
11-15-2005, 06:08 PM
im not familiar with this term, what exactly does it mean when a drummer is floating when hes double pedaling ???

cjcdrums
11-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Look at Lang's feet when he plays really fast singles. That's floating.

Essentially it's just a description for the look and feel of using all ankles to play fast.

bateria
11-15-2005, 08:57 PM
I believe it means when a drummer is not playing exactly in time with the beat, but instead "floating" in and out of tempo...or in some cases just playing slower than the beat. Example, a song at 280 bpm, someone could just play 240 bpm underneath it and it would still sound like a blur. Most people wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't in time with the music because it's so fast.

Praseodymium
11-15-2005, 11:24 PM
it is when the drummer uses the hip flexors to suspend the legs and uses the ankles to do the foot work. The leg will not entirely drop due to gravity, but will slightly lower for power and remain at the correct height for the next stroke. The ankles feel the rebound and use it to spring back with a second stroke. I personally belive it is the most versitile way to practice all double bass rudiments.

roxz
11-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Now wich one will it be :rolleyes:

cjcdrums
11-16-2005, 02:41 AM
I believe it means when a drummer is not playing exactly in time with the beat, but instead "floating" in and out of tempo...or in some cases just playing slower than the beat. Example, a song at 280 bpm, someone could just play 240 bpm underneath it and it would still sound like a blur. Most people wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't in time with the music because it's so fast.

Actually, I've heard of this being called floating as well.

But I've also heard "floating" used to describe the all-ankle technique, and that was what first came to my mind.

percusski
11-16-2005, 03:20 AM
it is when the drummer uses the hip flexors to suspend the legs and uses the ankles to do the foot work. The leg will not entirely drop due to gravity, but will slightly lower for power and remain at the correct height for the next stroke. The ankles feel the rebound and use it to spring back with a second stroke. I personally belive it is the most versitile way to practice all double bass rudiments.

I try not to use any muscles in the upper thigh, isolating purely the lower leg so the foot pivots at the ankle. If the muscles in the upper leg are suspending/holding up the legs surely this will affect the centre of balance, not to mention possibly create lower back problems? For me playing doubles gives a more balanced feel and I feel more centered than singles (it's just getting the power right up there!). What do you full-on double bass guys think?

Andrew black
11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
thanks guys i was thinking it was somthing like what you guys described, but i wanted to make sure. not familiar with drummer lingo hehehe but i hope to become fluent

roxz
11-17-2005, 08:41 AM
still at 210/220 bpm it's still alot of leg for me..
Recently I managed to exceed 220 and than I felt more movement from the ankles.

But when I feel I'm lifting my legs more than using the ankles...... The ankles still finish the stroke and not the legs.

My legs are never tensed

IronCobraMan
11-17-2005, 10:30 AM
floating = not playing in time with the music or tempo.... ur just "floating" underneath the beat.... this makes alot of drummers sound fast.... but i know when people are floating... i vouch for clean execution of double bass!

cjcdrums
11-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Never mind...

GreenPremier
11-18-2005, 09:36 PM
floating = not playing in time with the music or tempo.... ur just "floating" underneath the beat.... this makes alot of drummers sound fast.... but i know when people are floating... i vouch for clean execution of double bass!

This is the correct definition of floating, used by death metal drummers mostly. The other conception of floating is more of a feeling, you just feel lke you're floating..it's not actually floating, like the tempo is in and out floating..