PDA

View Full Version : Saw Dom Famularo tonight.

DoubleBass_Rob
11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
What a showman. He can keep your attention for the whole thing. Damn I feel motivated. Anyone else experienced the Dom Famularo Experience?

Poncho
11-06-2003, 06:30 AM
I saw Dom with Liberty Devitto a couple of years ago. Top notch clinic.

alencore
11-06-2003, 07:21 AM
Sorry can relate much to Dom but I think or heard he's also a double bass wizard, right?

peter
11-06-2003, 08:33 AM
The word is that Dom has gone
open - totally consumed by it!

:)

nevesis
11-06-2003, 11:17 AM
i personally think Dom's whole act is a front for his sloppy drumming. He is not BAD, but he isint that good either. Its his schtick that makes him who he is.

Not to mention his ridiculous hourly fee for private lessons. Living in the NY area, I have had many friends take lessons from him for short periods of time and claim his price is not worth what he can show you.

Stick to Motivational speaking Dom! Let Virgil and other badass's do the "talking" on the drums!

peter
11-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Nevesis,

What does Dom charge?

How's it going with your competitions?

nevesis
11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey Peter, Dom charges $90 an hour. I think its ridiculous because I personally dont think he is anything special. If Virgil charged that price it would be a bargain in my opinion!

As far as the Guitar Center Drum off 2003, I got all the way to the District finals, and was beat out by an AMAZING drummer named Henry Odell Jr. Don't be surprised if you see him in the Grand Finals in L.A. later this month!!!

peter
11-06-2003, 09:22 PM
$90 an hour!!! :eek:

So tell me about your
performance and how
it compared to his.

peter
11-06-2003, 09:24 PM
I hope you're not
disheartened. You
have a lot going for
you and I think this
was a great learning
experience for you.

peter
11-06-2003, 09:27 PM
One of the reasons why I think
that is overcharging has to do
with the fact that you can't get
a lot done in an hour.

Tony used to charge me $25 for
90-minutes. Yea, he battered
me the whole time but I felt like
he gave me his time. Of course,
this was 1976-1978.

$90!

I can't see how that is going to
help a young drummer get along.
Money is not easy to come by.

Screw that. I'll log onto the sites
of the great drummers and learn
from everybody else! :D

Lucius
11-06-2003, 09:55 PM
You think $90 is bad, Thomas Lang charged $120 an hour during his teaching!! Then again, Thomas has a lot to teach, and is a very dedicated player, teacher, and an all around nice guy!

alencore
11-07-2003, 01:37 PM
wow! i only chrage my students 2 box...LOL!

seriously, i think i'm quite lucky my mentors gave their hard earn secrets to me free, well i wasn't totally spoon sped though.

timthedrummer
11-08-2003, 07:52 PM
lucius- lang charged $120 US or $120 AU??

DoubleBass_Rob
11-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by nevesis
i personally think Dom's whole act is a front for his sloppy drumming. He is not BAD, but he isint that good either. Its his schtick that makes him who he is.

Not to mention his ridiculous hourly fee for private lessons. Living in the NY area, I have had many friends take lessons from him for short periods of time and claim his price is not worth what he can show you.

Stick to Motivational speaking Dom! Let Virgil and other badass's do the "talking" on the drums!

What the hell? Sloppy? What about his playing is sloppy? When it comes to rolling around the kit, he's just as fast as Virgil. His playing is clean, dyamical, and consistant. I'm really trying to think of some aspect of his playing that may be considered even remotely "sloppy", so I'd like to know what exactly it is.

Lucius
11-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Tim- I dunno, ill ask my teacher, but he tought over in the UK so it could be pounds, but either way, its still s*** loads of money for a lesson!

Lucius
11-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Regarding Dom, i cant really judge on his kit playing because i havnt seen a great deal of it, but on TUDW, he could not keep up with Virg on Dom and Friends!! But that aside, i feel he really sets out a good positive vibe for drummers to aspire to be better players, so good on ya Dom! :D

peter
11-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Don't get me wrong. He is very positive.
It's just that kind of price tag for the
younger students. Where are they go-
ing to get that kind of money, really?

peter
11-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Of course, the Lang charges are
not even mentionable.

When was the last time you got
something done in an hour that
you paid $90 for and that was
worth it and don't go THERE?! ;)

nevesis
11-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by DoubleBass_Rob
What the hell? Sloppy? What about his playing is sloppy? When it comes to rolling around the kit, he's just as fast as Virgil. His playing is clean, dyamical, and consistant. I'm really trying to think of some aspect of his playing that may be considered even remotely "sloppy", so I'd like to know what exactly it is.

Hrmm, try watching his performance on the TUDW DVD. Like I said in my post, He isint BAD, but he isint GREAT either.

Pity for you to say Dom is as fast around the kit as Virgil. hahah :)

Me.2
11-09-2003, 07:00 AM

Could be but then,....... WHY ARE people still paying $90 a hour to get lessons from him? He must have something to offer.

If its ridiculous you dont pay it.

He offers a service to which you can either take or leave by your own choice. What he actually charges is really HIS business as,....it IS his business.

How much do people generally pay a mechanic/plumber/builder/technician by the hour? Why must/should a drummer charge less for HIS services? I dont believe they should if people are prepaired to pay the price.

If Dom is as sh!te as you say,.....Why have your friends gone back for MORE? It Doesnt make sense.

Its at these clinics that kids get their freebies from dom, and at $10 a ticket you can get to ask any question or see close up things you might want to know. Thats an $80 saving right there.

The TUDW video really shows nothing of dom apart from where he removes his glasses with his drumstick mid solo,.....its REALLY LAME compaired to other clinics he's hosted, It was more entertainment than educational from what i saw.

Note to Lucius: That would not be a uk charge of 120 as that would be $196 usa.

quitou
11-09-2003, 12:00 PM
When Mangini was here in Calgary, he told us that he gets paid $280US for a half hour lesson at Berklee College of Music.....it's no wonder he took the job teaching there....he must be getting pretty rich working there....I don't know how they can afford it!!!

quitou
11-09-2003, 01:36 PM
With regards to teachers, I don't necessarily feel that the best players make the best teachers....you see it a million times in sports where some of the greatest coaches ever are guys who really sucked at their sport....they just know alot about it and know how to teach it....I think the same applies to everything....drums, school, anything....A lot of the time you'll run into guys who are phenomenal at what they do and can also teach it really well....but, just because someone isn't necessarily really good at playing the drums, doing a particular sport, doesn't mean they don't know how to teach it really well.....being able to do something, and showing people how to do something are totally different in my opinion.....

A good example of this: I used to be an amateur wrestler (not WWF stuff, but Olympic style wrestling)....I had this friend who was the best wrestler in the world (and I mean this literally, he won the world championships in 1999 and the Olympics in 2000 in sydney)....the guy was amazing, but he was the absolutely worst coach and teacher in the world....this guys just knew how to do alot of stuff, but he had no idea how he was doing it or how to teach it to other people.....and one of the best coaches I ever had in wrestling was this guy who was the shittiest wreslter back when he used to compete....

Just a thought....

peter
11-09-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm sure Berklee (a cash-machine
BEFORE a scholastic institution)
takes a cut of that!

quitou
11-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey Peter,
I remember you saying that you attended Berklee for a while but did not like it.....can you maybe give us a few stories from your Berklee days, and why you did not like it too much (I'm assuming you don't really like from the fact that you didn't stay there too long and also from the comment you wrote above)....I'm just curious because I was under the impression that this was supposed to be one of the finest music schools in the world....I remember reading an interview with Abe Laboriel Jr. in Modern drummer, and him saying that he didn't really like Berklee either....he was originally studying drumming there, but didn't enjoy it, so he switched majors to something else (I can't remember exactly what it was)....

quitou
11-09-2003, 07:13 PM
The $280 for half hour lesson that Mangini mentioned was what he says Berklee pays him for teaching there.....he told us that he also teaches alot outside of Berklee and these lessons are quite cheap....I don't remember exactly how much he said, but it was very much a bargain (I remeber it being just slightly more than what you'd pay for lessons with just some average normal teacher) considering how amazing a player he is and how much I guess he could be charging

Me.2
11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by quitou
.....being able to do something, and showing people how to do something are totally different in my opinion.....

Fortunately Dom is Great at Both. This explains why you pay double the money for his services. :D ;)

Poncho
11-10-2003, 04:46 AM
Overall, the Dom Famularo/Liberty DeVitto clinic was by far the best I've ever attended. While most clinics feature guys who are just there to show off, Dom and Liberty both gave excellent lectures and were very motivational. The drum playing was great, too. Everyone really enjoyed every aspect of the clinic.

Even though I don't believe Dom is as skilled a player as Virgil, I am not about to bad mouth him. As a matter of fact, Dom has always recognized Virgil as a great talent and has had nothing but nice things to say about him.

It really bothers me to see such a lack of respect for other drummers, especially by Nevesis. You sound like a guitar player, not a drummer.

nevesis
11-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Poncho
Overall, the Dom Famularo/Liberty DeVitto clinic was by far the best I've ever attended. While most clinics feature guys who are just there to show off, Dom and Liberty both gave excellent lectures and were very motivational. The drum playing was great, too. Everyone really enjoyed every aspect of the clinic.

Even though I don't believe Dom is as skilled a player as Virgil, I am not about to bad mouth him. As a matter of fact, Dom has always recognized Virgil as a great talent and has had nothing but nice things to say about him.

It really bothers me to see such a lack of respect for other drummers, especially by Nevesis. You sound like a guitar player, not a drummer.

Well, Poncho, it really bothers me that you think I don't respect other drummers because I said Dom was sloppy on the TUDW DVD and don't think he is worth what he charges an hour for lessons. Go back and read what I wrote. He isint BAD, but he isint that GOOD either. Thats not disrespect, thats the TRUTH in my opinion.

I know tons of drummers just as good, and tons of drummers BETTER then him, who would charge less. Your paying for the name.

My opinion still stands about him, just remember that does not mean I don't respect HIM or any other drummer. I do, and ill leave it at that. :)

Me.2
11-11-2003, 05:05 AM
Well, Poncho, it really bothers me that you think I don't respect other drummers because I said Dom was sloppy on the TUDW DVD and don't think he is worth what he charges an hour for lessons. Go back and read what I wrote. He isint BAD, but he isint that GOOD either. Thats not disrespect, thats the TRUTH in my opinion.

I know tons of drummers just as good, and tons of drummers BETTER then him, who would charge less. Your paying for the name.

My opinion still stands about him, just remember that does not mean I don't respect HIM or any other drummer. I do, and ill leave it at that. :)

Nevesis,.....as you have stated that your friends have had lessons with Dom but you havent,... your view on doms teaching method(s) is as subjective as mine is so,......its not objective its NOT a fact.

Because your friends feel that Dom is overcharging doesnt mean its the TRUTH either...... only in THEIR case(s) it maybe but to THEM.
If he wasnt getting the pupils his price would be lower and he obviously is and will continue too.

If you know tons of drummers as good or BETTER,.....why dont they charge the same amount? Surely if you/they could earn $90 an hour you'd charge $90 an hour... instead of say $40,....I surely know that i would.

Doms charging the price he believes he is worth and its blatently obvious to others HE IS worth that price. You're not paying for the name btw....You're paying for the experience he has in his craft/trade.... as anyone else does for a professional in their field.

Why sell yourself short, its hard enough to make a living as a musician as it is. You've got to grab the situation when the window of opportunity arises which is exactly what Dom is doing and WHY he can sell himself so well. Is that a crime? Not from where im standing.

Like i said......Its peoples choice to go for a lesson,....he isnt tying peoples hands behind their backs to go. They're going freely of their own accord. What peoples 'EXPECTATIONS' of what they will achieve and the short cut they think they wil make by going to dom is THEIR problem and not doms.
He cant do the practice or give people an advancement in their genetics, he just supplies the basic tools to grow and those tools he gives are the same you can read in any of the classic drum books around.

I dont believe he has made ANY claims to making people stars or the next colaiuta from taking lessons with him or that his teaching method is any different/spectacular from anyone elses has he? I thought not.

nevesis
11-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Me.2
Nevesis,.....as you have stated that your friends have had lessons with Dom but you havent,... your view on doms teaching method(s) is as subjective as mine is so,......its not objective its NOT a fact.

Because your friends feel that Dom is overcharging doesnt mean its the TRUTH either...... only in THEIR case(s) it maybe but to THEM.
If he wasnt getting the pupils his price would be lower and he obviously is and will continue too.

If you know tons of drummers as good or BETTER,.....why dont they charge the same amount? Surely if you/they could earn $90 an hour you'd charge $90 an hour... instead of say $40,....I surely know that i would.

Doms charging the price he believes he is worth and its blatently obvious to others HE IS worth that price. You're not paying for the name btw....You're paying for the experience he has in his craft/trade.... as anyone else does for a professional in their field.

Why sell yourself short, its hard enough to make a living as a musician as it is. You've got to grab the situation when the window of opportunity arises which is exactly what Dom is doing and WHY he can sell himself so well. Is that a crime? Not from where im standing.

Like i said......Its peoples choice to go for a lesson,....he isnt tying peoples hands behind their backs to go. They're going freely of their own accord. What peoples 'EXPECTATIONS' of what they will achieve and the short cut they think they wil make by going to dom is THEIR problem and not doms.
He cant do the practice or give people an advancement in their genetics, he just supplies the basic tools to grow and those tools he gives are the same you can read in any of the classic drum books around.

I dont believe he has made ANY claims to making people stars or the next colaiuta from taking lessons with him or that his teaching method is any different/spectacular from anyone elses has he? I thought not.

Your 100% right man. But none of that is related to the point I made all the way at the start of my post. All I stated was an OPINION.

I think Dom is overrated, he isin't a bad drummer, but he isint that great either, and I think he is overpriced due to his name in the field opposed to his overall skill/knowledge level.

He is skilled, and he is knowledgable. But someone who is just as skillled and just as knowledgable, or even MORE so, and ISINT well known, canno't get the price he charges an hour. Thus proves my point on having a famous name can up your hourly rate ALOT.

No one should take this offensively, I am all about positivity. I just stated an opinion, thats all this was and all it will ever be!

Keep drumming!!

... for cheap! haha :)

Me.2
11-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Me.2

What Part of this didnt you get? Am i not saying that you are stating an OPINION not a fact. :)

And no, Im not offended.
------------------------------------

Posted BY Nevesis
I think Dom is overrated, he isin't a bad drummer, but he isint that great either, and I think he is overpriced due to his name in the field opposed to his overall skill/knowledge level.

He is skilled, and he is knowledgable. But someone who is just as skillled and just as knowledgable, or even MORE so, and ISINT well known, canno't get the price he charges an hour. Thus proves my point on having a famous name can up your hourly

No offence Nevesis but Doms either skilled/knowledgable or he isnt. Your saying BOTH here. he's skilled and knowledgable and yet..... he's not skilled and knowledgable? It is confusing.

Im sorry but there is no set limit as to what people charge hence my post as to you complaining about what someone chooses to charge because.....they can. There isnt a law on charges, maybe there should be?

Your 'famous name' point is just crap. Do you know a star/name plumber or electrician?
People charge their DIFFERENT rate(s) on what people are prepaired to pay them, if people dont pay....they drop them FAST,.....its THAT simple

Doms not charging those prices because of his name,...its what HE feels he is worth Per hour just as ANY self employed plumber or electrician would charge for a service they provide. Believe it or not,......Some people have a problem charging what they feel they are really WORTH,.....Dom obviously doesnt.

As i said,....if dom was not worth his price:

(a) He would not have returning students and students wanting his services and

(b) He would be dropping his rates pronto.

If you are any good as a teacher,......its NOT your name you're paying for its your experience and time. They could be earning the same amount doing something else if they put their mind to it.

If you truely believe its the name then ask the question.....How did they/he GET his name? Its obviously from delivering a consistant and proven track record.

What idiot pays $90 to a guy because of his name,..I dont know any. :)

Me.2
11-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Your 100% right man.

Thanks... :)

DoubleBass_Rob
11-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I think Dom's biggest quailty is his ability to motivate, which is so important because we all have days where we just can't be bothered. I'd pay $90 for that.

Lucius
11-11-2003, 07:47 PM
You can get motivation for less than $90, just watch Virg, Lang, or Pete Drummond and so on in action!! :D

alencore
11-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Right! i get motivated on this forum alone.

Lucius
11-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I second that! :D

Me.2
11-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Just started a company and I'm charging $90 for de-motivating lessons......if anyone is interested please contact me at.

...................Oh'Igiveup.com :D

alencore
11-12-2003, 07:52 AM
lol

DoubleBass_Rob
11-13-2003, 04:53 AM
Hang on, I just checked his website, he only charges $75. Still alot, but not as much as $90.

Me.2
11-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Isnt there a $15 entrance and minimum drinks charge? :D

peter
11-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Drum forums are great for
information. If you use the
SEARCH features, you can
practically get at ANY info
you'd like. Sometimes, it's
even better because you
read about alternatives. :)