after hearing the Royal
Scots Dragoon Guards:

www.thediametrixletter.com/royalscotsguards.mp3

It ALL has to be conquered
eventually and it will.

alencore
11-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Rebound as in bounce, right?
Reminds me of a drumming friend who tought me how to use double and paradiddles but to play them each stroke apart instead of relying to bounce.
So I develop such technique or so I think until I got good amount of speed, loudness and control.
Then Dave Weckl's vid "back to basic" showed how he would snap the second stroke using fingers and wrist for a more stronger double strokes. Thank god I kinda got into that form already tnx to my drumming friend.

peter
11-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Bounce.

We dribble. We double.

You can try and throw the
ball in the hoop from the
backcourt or you can learn
to dribble the ball up the
court, near the basket for
a dunk. You choose.

I have done it both ways
and I am telling you, it's a
good idea to learn how to
control your bounces.

Really, in the end it's all
the hard way because you
have to do it all ANYWAY.

:)

alencore
11-05-2003, 11:16 PM
am i suppose to luagh at the first lines there ah Pete?...hehe.

well, to bounce or not to bounce is just a matter how much volume you weanna hear. i think bounces are use for the softer press rolls then use fuller strokes if you wanna get it louder.

anyway whatever Master Pete post it's always the best drumming stuff.

peter
11-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Alencore,

I hope that didn't sound
too "as a matter of fact".
I used to tout religiously
that to bounce the stick
on the head was wrong!

Tony got that idea into
my head and it had a
hard time getting out.
Then, I met Steve Gadd
and he reminded me how
it was just another as-
pect of the drum and a
different color, which we
could paint with.

He has MASTERFUL control
of the hands and all the
rudiments, arguably one
of the best of the rudi-
mental drummers on the
kit, without a doubt.

I just want to keep the
mind open all the way.

And there is only one
master on this board
and it is the great V!

alencore
11-06-2003, 07:45 AM
wow, you met lots of cool cats. i agree Gadd make it look so easy concerning his solid rudimental stuff on the drumset.

peter
11-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Life was A LOT different
back in the Fusion-1970's.
Players were a lot more
accessible and I lived in
New York City.

Virgil reminded me of that
era, with his visit in Chicago.
He's the best.

alencore
11-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Wow man sure so lluuuckkkkyyyy! Well , I think I'm that a little bit lucky as well since I've met Virgil and he did gave me a nice sweet smile after i shook his hands and tap him on the shlder. Lol..i think he even stared at me during his solo since I was sitted in front of the man during that elusive Phil clinic.

alencore
11-14-2003, 02:46 PM
BTW - IMO when it comes to pure solid tasty grooves Gadd is still the best. Jeff Porcaro is second. Just my opinion.

Brobjer
11-14-2003, 02:52 PM
From what I understand, the actual technique when you use the rebounce is called the Moeller technique, and I was taught to use the rebounce from day one.
In every technique video I've seen, the drummers describe the big importance of that, and drummers like Jim Chapin and Dom Famularo say it's the most fundamental base technique every drummer should have. The same is for bassdrum. Use the rebounce in all strokes, both hands and legs.

- Brobjer

Brobjer
11-14-2003, 02:57 PM
I think Virgil brings a great amount of groove to his playing. The same is for example Mike Mangini, who is another one of my favourite drummers.
Jeff is a great drummer too, and he really shows how only slick and simple playing can be useful. He certainly "made" Toto's unique sound, among with Lukather and the other guys, who all are slick players.

My opinion: You shouldn't even think of starting to practise hard techniqual thing berfore you have good groove. It's just the way it is; Technique comes second. Groove first. And then if you got the best of both, you are lucky. Just like Virgil.

peter
11-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Brobjer,

I agree with what you're saying
in terms of emphasis.

At the same time, there is the
need for SOME technique, even
before the groove can come and
that has to do with how to hold
the sticks and stroke the pedals,
as well as coordinating all those
things, so that the most basic
rhythms can be possible. I
think you would agree. :)

Lucius
11-15-2003, 03:32 AM
I think its better to have a solid foundation before attempting groove, as Peter was saying, but once you get a good grasp of both, there is no reason why both cannot progress at the same time, often technique and groove are always opposites in arguments/discussions, but i feel its good to have both, they compliment each other in many good ways.

Tom24
11-15-2003, 05:21 AM
aaahhh i know this sounds weird but,

how to play fast rudiment or something, _without_ bounce?

I'm really bad at knowing existing techniques, that's why i'm always confused when u guys talk about german and so on.

could somebody explain to poor me what else can be used than rebound from the head?

alencore
11-15-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by peter
Brobjer,

there is the
need for SOME technique, even
before the groove can come and
that has to do with how to hold
the sticks and stroke the pedals,
as well as coordinating all those
things, so that the most basic
rhythms can be possible. I
think you would agree. :)

Pete...my man you definitely hit it right spot on there. There is no way any groove will work if certains things aren't done properly. Holding the stick alone require some good technique as well as using the pedals and so on and so forth.

I think, in terms of players being technical as oppose those cats who just play grooves n means it.

One good example is Dave Weckl VS Vinnie Coliuata.

Dave - this guy is one heck of a choppy player and when you see him play simple or rock beats its almost pathetic. Excuse my chosen words there but that's what I feel seeing Dave play simple beats. I'm just not used to seeing him do such things.

Vinnie - now this man can do everything and it fit well into his presonality and character. No wonder he gets more commercial gigs as well as those artistic technical ones.

Brobjer
11-15-2003, 09:15 AM
What I meant was the advanced technique.

Explanation; Don't start practicing, for example, aggressive double bass and a lot of polyrhythmic patterns, before you have exellent groove.
By grooving, I mean it's obvious that you have the base technique (like how to hold the sticks, the moeller stroke, etc. etc.), which actually is 100 % necessary to even make the groove.

- Brobjer

Lucius
11-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Ahhhh i see, I get you, and totally agree with you :D

timthedrummer
11-16-2003, 05:24 AM
good point alencore
dave doesnt do it for me with simple stuff
leave it to vinnie