PDA

View Full Version : Tony Royster Jr.

Adam
11-01-2003, 12:59 PM
I saw a drum solo by this kid when he was 12...it was amazing. At that age he was already almost as good as some of the pros. WELL I saw a more recent drum solo.....almost exactly the same. Is it just me or has he fallen into that "don't need to practice" routine? I don't know how else to explain. He's improved very little since he was 12.

quitou
11-01-2003, 01:32 PM
I also saw a solo of his when he was 12 (at the modern drummer festival) and I've also listenned to one of his solos when he was around the same age at the Montreal Drum Festival....I was in awe of his playing at that age....I was shocked to see that someone so young could pull off so much stuff....

Interestingly, I was kinda wondering how good he could play now....other than those two solos and a few music clips, I have heard very little of his playing....I kinda assumed that because he was so good at age 12 he would be unbelievable by now....I really don't know....I would be interested in hearing him now regardless just to see what it is like....

It could very well be that he has lost a bit interest, or maybe he just had an off day....it could also just be the fact that because of all he could do at such a young age, people's expectations of him went through the roof (urealistically high)....regardless I would still say that he can play the drums much better than most 18 or 19 year olds out there and better than a lot of other professionals out there as well.

Xen-
11-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I've seen him at the Montreal Drum Fest last year and I was disappointed. He has an incredible technique for his age, but his playing doesn't have that ''fire'' that makes drummers great.

Lucius
11-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Are there any clips of him lurking around on the web apart from the modern drummer festival one where he was 12?

timthedrummer
11-01-2003, 09:14 PM
just search for it- maybe try kazaa... thats where i got it
yeh i was blown away by his solo at age 12... but from wat i've seen/heard he isnt that much different now...
i remember seeing on his site he wants to become a doctor and he's fully into sport. not too bad, become a top drummer and a doctor/sportsman...

Xen-
11-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Sportsman? At about 5'2 tall, he's better be damn good! Yes, he is really small.

quitou
11-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Apparently he's a damn good bowler....it says on his website that he bowled 2 perfect games in some tournament or something.....well, at least if it doesn't work out for him with drumming, he could always become a professional bowler ;)

Me.2
11-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Xen-
Sportsman? At about 5'2 tall, he's better be damn good! Yes, he is really small.

Jockey? :D

Lucius
11-03-2003, 02:23 AM
haha!:D

benjjjjjjj
01-11-2004, 12:00 AM
u guys r jealous... im sure he kicks ur ass still!

Xen-
01-11-2004, 09:31 AM
u guys r jealous... im sure he kicks ur ass still!

Thank you for that constructive reply.

MaltBuddow3
01-11-2004, 09:47 AM
lars ulrich

CarlosMc
01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey guys,

Tony is endorsing the Hart Dynamics line of electronic drums. There is a sample clip (http://www.hartdynamics.com/video/index.html#artistdemos) of him demoing the drums at one of the industry shows. I agree with one of the earlier post that suggested that his improvements are going to be reflected more in his maturity as a player vs chops/fills. I would love to check him out live with his band though. Up until this point I think we've only seen/heard the one solo (MD Drum Festival, Montreal Drumfest) - the live setting however would indicate his true growth.

ciao

quitou
01-12-2004, 10:37 AM
I'd love to see him live aswell....I think Tony definitely has enough chops and technical ability to last him a liftetime, and to get him through any musical situation he may encounter....what the other guys were saying is true aswell, maybe his goal now is to increase his musicality and learn how to groove like a monster (have a super deep pocket)....maybe he just doesn't have that calling of becoming a virgil like technical frreak who pushes the boundaries of the instrument.....and that's fine aswell, because he can still play the drums better than the majority of people alive, and he's still a teenager.....

Revan
01-12-2004, 03:33 PM
I dunno... He's got some great technical ability, but I just can't get into his style. Maybe it's because his fills are a little too busy, I don't know. For me, he just doesn't have "it" like Weckl, Vinnie, Virgil, etc. But still, that doesn't take away from the fact that he is an amazing drummer.