PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Rich

alencore
11-01-2003, 04:09 AM
Since quito is posting his favorite drummers I might as well do it for Buddy, hehe.

What I think about this old dead bastard?
Man this old dude still has the fastest hands I ever saw. His drumming is so complex and up till now he still holds the thrown as the greatest jazz drummer ever as far as I'm concern.

How about you guys care share any comments about Buddy?

STAVROPOULOS
11-01-2003, 05:05 AM
hello alencore!
i will only have to agree with you!these drummers are legends,indeed.

Milo Porto
11-01-2003, 04:00 PM
when i say what buddy rich did on one of those variety shows during the 60's i was like.......*jaw drops*

that mofo is f**cking Fast considering the fact that there were no double pedals then he can really shred the snare drum manzz!!:D

quitou
11-01-2003, 04:12 PM
I Agree with all of you,

For sure Buddy was a complete maniac, "a force of nature," as Neil Peart called him....so fast with his hands, but he made it look so effortless and easy....he was definitely a revolutionary drummer that brought so many ideas into drumming and influenced many of the amazing players from modern times....truly a legend and most definitely one of the greatest (if not the greatest) of all time....

timthedrummer
11-01-2003, 09:10 PM
the common link with buddy rich and virgil donati is that nobody can deny their impact and their awesome drumset abilities.
although other people could probably play as fast/faster than buddy with their hands, he was the one to become famous for it.
and although there are people who are faster than virgil- he has become famous for his feet and the whole double stroke thing...
:D

Milo Porto
11-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by timthedrummer
the common link with buddy rich and virgil donati is that nobody can deny their impact and their awesome drumset abilities.
although other people could probably play as fast/faster than buddy with their hands, he was the one to become famous for it.
and although there are people who are faster than virgil- he has become famous for his feet and the whole double stroke thing...
:D

the inovators I shall call them!:D

alencore
11-02-2003, 08:18 AM
There was this song buddy played and almost every measure has it's own uniqueness in terms of how well place each new note were. The man is just so spontanteneous live.

peter
11-02-2003, 07:47 PM
He's still the bar, when it comes
to hand control and execution, to
which Virgil has approached and is
preparing to carry.

:)

jonberg
11-03-2003, 03:06 AM
Well, he was definitally a genius, one of a kind...
...but as we discussed in another thread about being noble and nice to other people even if you are great, I donīt know if Buddy comes up in Virgils league =)

slamnovalis
11-03-2003, 04:26 AM
" I donīt know if Buddy comes up in Virgils league =)"

yeah, but then again, look at the whole bruce lee scenario. nobody will ever be known as a better drummer than rich.

alencore
11-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by jonberg
Well, he was definitally a genius, one of a kind...
...but as we discussed in another thread about being noble and nice to other people even if you are great, I donīt know if Buddy comes up in Virgils league =)

yeah i can relate to that since Buddy had quite a reputation of being hard to work with and plain stubborn at times. well, the man is just so demanding on his musicians.

peter
11-03-2003, 07:23 AM
I was NOT talking about personality.
Let that be clear. The torch that Buddy
held, in that regard, is the one that
burned down Rome! ;)

Tool
11-03-2003, 11:36 PM
I am watching his DVDs "Westside story" and "At the Top" quite often and read two of his bios.
I started working on his stick tricks a year ago and took it to a certain level, nice stuff to go with.

Fede
11-04-2003, 12:57 AM
I'm sorry, guys but on this subject I don't follow any of you. I've heard loads of Buddy Rich-stuff trying to figure out what it is that people think is (was) so great about him, but I can't. To me, it's the most boring, endless stream of rolls on the snare that do not seem particularly hard to do, nor very exciting/useful. He might be tasteful and musical when playing music - I wouldn't really know because grandpa-jazz on crappy recordings have never spoken to me, but when it comes to pure technical genius, I just don't get it.

I don't regard him as being anywhere near our top players today. Can anyone suggest some tunes I can check out?

BrettLee
11-04-2003, 02:01 AM
Fede, check out The Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship Highlights video.. There are two clips of Buddy in action.. Simply a killer.. especially the first one.. when he does a crazy fast n steady stroke roll, with his coat on!! Buddy is one of the greatest.. no doubt about that!!

Lucius
11-04-2003, 03:28 AM
I think he is damn great, i shall leave it at that! :D

alencore
11-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Fede
I'm sorry, guys but on this subject I don't follow any of you. I've heard loads of Buddy Rich-stuff trying to figure out what it is that people think is (was) so great about him, but I can't. To me, it's the most boring, endless stream of rolls on the snare that do not seem particularly hard to do, nor very exciting/useful. He might be tasteful and musical when playing music - I wouldn't really know because grandpa-jazz on crappy recordings have never spoken to me, but when it comes to pure technical genius, I just don't get it.

I don't regard him as being anywhere near our top players today. Can anyone suggest some tunes I can check out?
OMG! Dude if you are really intense about drumming study some of this man work. Those fast hands comes along long way. The dedication alone of Buddy to drumming and to bigband music is just astounding. The man died not literally of course still playing drums.

Hip Alien
11-04-2003, 10:24 PM
My mom brought me to see the 'Buddy Rich Big Band' when i was 15 yrs old, and since then i've had the sacred fire in me to keep playing , learning and enjoying myself on this relatively new instrument called 'drums'. What a musician !!

Fede: You must have seen or heard BUDDY in his last years after succombing to more than one heart attack and insisiting he keep playing and touring because this dude set the standard in his day and is still impressive by todays standards. Check out the 'Buddy Rich Scholarship' tapes for some old footage and then come back and talk to me.....
Cheers