PDA

View Full Version : Virgil Dublin Clinic Review

James G.
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
The scene: Temple bar music centre Dublin Ireland:

of course we arrived late so we cane in towards the end of the warm up act who's name I didn't catch..
8:30 Virgil arrives on stage
and then It began, Every stroke was like thunder, It was my first time ever seeing Virgil live and I have to say I have never seen anyone with as much power behind the kit .. I really couldn't believe it
He started off with an orchestral piece to be released on his new solo Cd out soon, then came a 20 min Improvised solo, half ways through for a split second I found myself thinking that this man cannot possibly be of this earth,
then he talked about the importance of foundation rudiments (singles doubles etc) and how he applies them all done with superb speed and grace
enter the hard stuff! refer to work sheet under seat ... layers one rhythm one side over another on the left side
mind blowing stuff!
first 12 people to by a virgil t-shirt get free assaults, unfortunatly my bladder thought otherwise ... met him in the lobby, shook hands, took photo and signed poster ...
and also met jimi for the first time in person ... alright buoyo?
rating ... unbelievable the man is just a phenomenon
Cheers
Me (nicked that off c.j!)

jimi
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Ya, good show! On first listen that new track is hard to comprehend, but the corwd went mad when he started the solo. Of course Virgil played off this energy, and i found it quietened down because people didn't know when to cheer anymore!! Afterwards he chatted about where his head is going nowadays with concepts, and what to expect from the new solo CD ...
He has been doing the same clinic exercise sheet for about two years now, but he went over a load of different things beside that, and no matter how many times i go, there's always something new to pick up.
Got me that T-shirt which i'll wear when i see him on saturday in Sweden with jagdk. Should be another jaw dropping fiasco!

Always a pleasure to see Virgil, and he's such a nice guy too :)

cjcdrums
09-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Man, I'm immensely jealous! :D

scott h
09-30-2005, 10:56 PM
nice review james. it is just an amazing experience to see the man live!

James G.
10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
nice review james. it is just an amazing experience to see the man live!

Were you there Scott?