PDA

View Full Version : The exercises of the vancouver clinic.

Pedro
10-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi, I'll try to explain some of the exercises that Virgil just played in Vancouver.
First, in the metric modulation stuff, he played a groove with eigth notes on the hi hat and then he changed to cuarter note triplets on the hi hat and that became the new pulse, and played the same groove in this new pulse, obviusly slower. He played 4 bars phrases, 2 with the normal groove and 2 with the modulation. He also played cuarter notes with his left foot on the H H in the four bars so you hear the original tempo all the time.
About these "new" rudiments, it's a concept he called layers and the idea is that you split a rudiment betwen two limbs and combine it with another different pattern betwen the remaining two limbs. In the first example he played a paradiddle in the right side betwen the bas drum and the main snare, and played a double paradiddle betwen his left foot (hi hat) and the piccolo snare. The cicle took 4 bars of 6/8 to complete.
Another example was a fiveadiddle (rlrll) and a paradiddle. He played the paradiddle betwen bd and sn in the right side and the fives betwen H H (left foot) and the second sn in the left side, the cicle took 8 measures of 5/8 to complete. And the last, he played a 3 16th note pattern in the left side,
one H H (foot) and two snares, and a 4/4 groove on top with the right side, and then solo over the 3 note ostinato. This are really dificult exercises, even Virgil had troubles with some, but I really enjoyed watching him trying to push himself even more.

Lucius
10-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks man :D sounds similar to his utimate drummer weekend masterclass

jonberg
10-29-2003, 04:39 AM
I think thatīs close to what he talked about in the TUDW dvd. Real mindbending exercises though =)