PDA

View Full Version : story of virgil when he was 18

timthedrummer
10-27-2003, 03:21 AM
my teacher from uni grew up in melbourne
and he saw virgil when virgil was only 16 and said he was average, not that developed- he said virgil was around 18 when he 'snapped' and started to practice real hard- and got real dedicated...
so there u go
(i thought that may interest or inspire some- as we all think he has been going hard since he was 3, and think we'll never be as good)!!
maybe he has and was just not very confident at that age
cheers :D

morgenthaler
10-27-2003, 08:50 AM
That doesn't ad up to Graham Morgans version of the story.. he said that when Virgil studied with him, he was a young boy, and already a monstrous player... in Grahams words: Fenomenal!
But surely he has gotten better and better and better and better and better........

alencore
10-27-2003, 10:17 AM
the guy is almost like Mozart on drums.

Milo Porto
10-27-2003, 12:54 PM
virgil is like mozart on drums...nah..!! i would say that virgil is just simply god on drums...he popped into this world with sticks in his hands....he had a mission to fulfill when he came into this world which is to change the way people looked at drums...it is not just banging away on the drums...but making drums musical....! :D

Arf!
10-27-2003, 02:21 PM
I don't know which story to trust . . .

So for now I'll just be working my ass off!

kirk
10-27-2003, 05:09 PM
The Graham Morgan story is absolutely true. But it might be someone else saw him and had a somewhat different view we might say. Hard to believe though.

Kirk

timthedrummer
10-27-2003, 05:14 PM
well im sure virgil was already great,
but was just a little young and shy at this stage...

Lucius
10-27-2003, 06:22 PM
A very respectable guy and drummer i know, (maybe the same guy :D ) also said he knew and had seen Virgil at 18, he said he was playing some beautiful jazz, and he also said that at an earlier ager he wasnt as developed, but then he snapped to it obviously, but i think only Virgil can answer that question, so..... Virg....????.....! ;)

DoubleBass_Rob
10-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Virgil as Mozart on drums? You know some of the stories of Mozart right? Like how he would listen to a 17 minute song just once, from a 6 piece band, and go home and write the whole thing out in it's entirety.

Fede
10-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Many of those stories are over-dramatized! He didn't write symphonies at 6 years of age or whatever. Don't believe everything your hear about Mozart - imagine how many years those stories have had to grow better and better!

With Virgil, on the other hand, we have proof...

timthedrummer
10-28-2003, 03:18 AM
well virgil is OUR mozart, composers are different to drummers, as we just make the music kick ass, but arent given as much credit as the composers, singer etc :D

Me.2
10-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Or Busy. :)

If he started playing at 3yrs old and continually played he'd have some control by then,... doesnt mean his ideas would be there though.
When people say things about others its usually over the top anyway. Like when someone dies, its almost always the case of ' Oh he was always a great guy! ',....others are saying..... he was a complete sh!thead.

jonberg
10-29-2003, 04:42 AM
Even Virgil started from the scratch once upon a time. There are so many things that must be developed to be a fully accomplished
musician. Musicality, Technique, Coordination, reading ability etc. Virgil has worked very hard at becoming this. I donīt know Virgil
personally, and I donīt know his background like some of you may know, but I wouldnīt be surprised
if he wasnīt extraordinary when he was 16-18years old. Maybe he got really really serious when he got more
"grown-up" and started practising hard by then. I mean, he couldnīt play for example doubles with his feet
at 160-200 at that age I guess. He has worked hard and it has paid of pretty well.

Me.2
10-29-2003, 05:28 AM
It Begs the question: WAS Virgil a Child Prodigy?