PDA

View Full Version : Gary Novak

percusski
09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Just moving away from double bass for a bit, are you all familiar with Gary Novak? Chick Corea's Elecric Band 2 -Paint The World has some beautiful playing, it just grooves! Also Chick Corea Time Warp and Holdsworth's 16 Men Of Tain are great examples of his playing. Anyone know what he's doing now?

jperrau10v
09-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Gary Novak has played with Alanis Morissette and is on two records from vibraphonist Joe Locke: "4 Walls of Freedom" and "Dear Life"
both records are on www.audiophileimports.com
Gary Novak is one of my heroes! He has an incredible single stroke rolls!
JB (from Paris, France)

johngregson
09-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I saw him play in Edinburgh 2 months ago with Tommy Smith's Jazz Orchestra! He just came on at the end as a surprise encore/guest. And blew everyone's minds! The people I was with couldn't understand why I was gibbering: "Bluh...eh...that's....Ga...Nov....bluh...." Great player.

dcdrmwthme
09-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Gary is a BEAST on the drums. Hes definitely one of the most talented drummers in the world. Hes had some high exposure gigs, but for some reason isnt a household name. He's still very young, so maybe that will change. Honestly, if you have'nt heard him play, do so.

johngregson
09-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Didn't he play with Ozzy at some point?

drummaman1
09-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Didn't he play with Ozzy at some point?

Really? It could be, since he played with Alanis. The band she has at the time was SLAMMIN'.

Gary is great! He's definitely underrated, and it's only a matter of time before more people know his name...

Luis
09-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I have the Paint the World cd since it was first released. Like said, beautiful playing and groove. Plus a very nice drum sound.
I think he is a bit underrated too.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

LG

tom.v
09-17-2005, 01:15 PM
The drumming on 16 men of tain is possibly my favourite drumming ever, i can say i like gary novak as much as virgil..... and thats not something easily said

percusski
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
He really gave a tired electric band a kick up the ass, and I think he was only 12 or something when he recorded Paint the World. Holdsworth's playing on 'Tain is awesome, can't wait to hear him on the new Planet X album. Some guitarist friends are wondering how he's going to play the riff elements of the previous tracks, apparently that's not his style (MacAlpine like).

johngregson
09-17-2005, 03:54 PM
He actually picks alot more in his playing than it first appears. I'm sure they'll find away round it though - if anything, a change would be interesting!