PDA

View Full Version : bass drum practice pads

candyman
10-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Does anyone on have any preferences on what bass drum practice pad is better or gives you better results. By better results I mean it actually feels like the real bassdrum. I use a Gibralter pad and it feels pretty good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Arf!
10-25-2003, 07:53 PM
The only ones I know of are the Gibralter and Pearl. I have the Pearl. It's a pain in the ass because it always moves! (unless I have it digging into the hardwood floor, which is bad:() I usually put a few cymbals in my bag (a couple rides and hats) and then lean it on the pad so it doesn't move.

Is the Gibralter one pretty stirty on, say, carpet?

timthedrummer
10-25-2003, 08:44 PM
haha i do that cymbal bag trick too!!
i use a soft billy hydes pad that screws into a special stand, feels the same a bassdrum, it was awesome until it got stolen
but im getting a new one with a practice kit this week :D

candyman
10-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey Arf,

The Gibralter one doesn't move that much. I have it on a Crash Pad that has a piece of wood that holds it in place. The only thing is that when you fit on the pedal on the pad it doesn't quite fit like on a regular wood or metal hoop. I had heard about the MP 7000 from Sam Aliano, he said it was a hell of a workout but they don't make them anymore. It would be cool if someone invented one that was very close to the actual bass drum.
Thanks for the replies.

candyman
10-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Hey timethedrummer,

Where did you buy that Billyhydes pad? I live in the USA and dont think they sell them over here.

Lucius
10-26-2003, 12:38 PM
The only place i know you can get them is Billy Hydes :D You will have to come to Sydney ;) I have one, they are awesome, i had a little trouble with it at one point unscrewing a bit, but that stopped after i had done it up properly, but if ever you are in Billy Hydes it is well worth getting one

candyman
10-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info Lucius.

DavidPartay
10-26-2003, 08:12 PM
There's a Billy Hydes store in Melbourne as well I'm pretty sure.

I'm hoping to get some practise kit from Pro Audio in Canberra for Christmas... I just want something for my hands and something for my feet together.

timthedrummer
10-26-2003, 08:30 PM
i heard that the actual drummer billy hyde brought his pads to the rest of the world...
he was one of the guys to invent the pads...
as for it having a real feel- it does 100%.
my old one squeked a bit but u cant hear it when u got headphones on

timthedrummer
10-26-2003, 08:32 PM
BY THE WAY MY DOUBLE KICK PAD WASNT STOLEN
SOMEONE TOLD ME THEY SAW IT AT THE VENUE'S OFFICE
yay so i can get it back, sell it, and use the one from the practice kit (same one, but doesnt squek)

Arf!
10-27-2003, 01:10 PM
I'd really like to have something like Thomas Lang's practice kit. Do you guys know if those are available anywhere for sale?

Lucius
10-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Hey Arf, do you have a picture of his practice kit? or do you know where to find one on the net?

Arf!
10-27-2003, 06:34 PM
It's in here somewhere: http://hudsonmusic.com/Photo_Gallery/lang/detail/langdetail1.html

Lucius
10-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks dude :D Wow, wierd, im gonna check out the remo website.

alencore
10-28-2003, 07:09 AM
The only way I could mimic the feel of my practice pads closer to real drums is by using foams and thick carpet padding. i also remove the rims so to save my sticks even further for which they are about 8 years now.

it's were i learned and develop the stamina to make huge strokes and play really fast. I would sell my drums but not the pads.

jimi
10-28-2003, 01:34 PM
speaking of carpet padding, check out the "Putty Pad" on www.remo.com!
its a thin rubber pad that scrunches to fit in your pocket(!), and it also says you can put it anywhere, even on good furniture, dashboard and they wont get damaged, kinda funky and versatile:)

jonberg
10-29-2003, 03:49 AM
I use the Pearl BD10 (I think itīs called so), I read somewhere that Mike Mangini uses that one and that it really helped his footwork.
I really like it, it feels good and it gives a good workout for the feet!