PDA

View Full Version : Baked Potato September 10th, 2005

Christopher
09-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Before I get into it, I don't have any pics from that night, but I have some funny stuff to report...

The night was pretty cool, Virgil's set up was properly lit and the crowd was really warm to Virgil INSANE licks. Virgil really felt great that night. During his warmup, he was pulling double-strokes at 235! They sounded nice and even...until he got a little tired!

Rufus and Mitchel played awesome. Mitchel finally got Pyramids on Mars on his second time. Note that Mitch is the type of guy who just shows up at the gigs and reads straight off the charts. Shows how much of an amazing musician he is! Not only that, but he's got LOTS of infectuous licks to boot. Rufus and Virgil continually lay down the foundation of the song when they're in the zone. They are amazingly in sync with each other, its insane.

Now to the funny part...
Virgil and I always like to set up with 2 cameras at the Potato so we can get some good edits later. There's this old style air conditioner where we decided to hang a camera (with the tripod) off of. Throughout the whole set, I was looking at both cameras (front and back) to see if they are still rolling until 3/4 through the 1st set, I noticed that the back camera's rec lamp (on the AC box) wasn't lit. At first I thought it lost power or something...but since the Potato is an intimate type of venue, there isnt much lighting to begin with...so when I got a little closer to the AC box I noticed that the camera fell down....on top of a fan's head!! How freaky was that??! Thank god it was one of Virgil's students and loyal fans who was on the receiving end of it. Poor guy drove from Vegas to see Virgil. In fact, he was really proud to have received the camera slammed on his head that he repeatedly told me "No, Chris, seriously...Im find dude, don't worry!". I haven't seen the footage just yet, but I'm sure it will be a funny sight.

I'll be going through the edits this week and Ill put up some videos for EVERYONE to see. It's been a while that we havent put anything in the free area, so stay tuned for that.

Cheers!

johngregson
09-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Can't wait! Headbanging audience, I presume?

Christopher
09-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Can't wait! Headbanging audience, I presume?

No headbanging. I kept tripping on everyone's jaw that was on the floor throughout the night!! :)

frank
09-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Cool story. You're lucky that the guy was a virg-fan, otherwise he might have stolen the cam!

BTW, Mitchel who?

bootdogs
09-12-2005, 12:57 PM
GREAT STORY!!! :) Looking forward to the videos.

yyzke
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I'll be going through the edits this week and Ill put up some videos for EVERYONE to see. It's been a while that we havent put anything in the free area, so stay tuned for that.

I'll drink to that - thanks chris.

cjcdrums
09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Sweeeet! Thanks Chris!

By the way, 235 bpm VIRGIL doubles... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Christopher
09-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Sweeeet! Thanks Chris!

Oh yes. It was scary! :) I wish I had the camera but it was all set up at the Potato at that time.

Dillinger
09-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Sweeeet! Thanks Chris!

Holy ****! :eek: That is ridiculously good...I love that guy. Can't wait to see some of the footage from what would've been an awesome night!