PDA

View Full Version : virgil is crazy in modern drummer video!!

timthedrummer
10-22-2003, 10:52 PM
for those who have seen it...
hows the bit in the last song in the second breakdown
when virgil does super fast crossovers on the cymbals then goes around the toms
and from the LEFT side floor tom to the RIGHT side floor tom so DAMN quick its so amazing to watch...
there's a site that has just that bit
i'll try to post it when i find it

Milo Porto
10-23-2003, 12:44 AM
tim ...i think you are talking bout www.drummerworld.com

yeeah virg is crazy...but ive seen steve smith do that as well..!! :eek:

timthedrummer
10-23-2003, 12:47 AM
oh come on!! steve cant touch virg!! im joking...
his dvd is so hard to watch- is it on his new dvd??

Milo Porto
10-23-2003, 01:03 AM
i enjoy watching steve play ..but i prefer Virgil definatly!
im not comparing virg to steve..its just that i saw steve do that as well!!!

:D

Lucius
10-23-2003, 01:13 AM
nah, from what i have watched its not, i dont think, im with you tim, i cant really get into it. In a part of it Steve tries to play fairly fast singles going from his main snare to the one on his left then back to the normal snare, and it doesnt sound half as clean as when Lang does it on his giant step preveiw on drummerworld.com and thats just going between 2 snares, i dont think he would be able to execute what Virg does with what tims descirbes, ive seen a clip of the bit he is talking about, its absolute bullsh** what he does, i take my hat off to you virg! (though, i am not wearing one):D

timthedrummer
10-23-2003, 03:18 AM
hehe thanks lucius- im glad u appreciate those animal speed rolls of virgils' haha

alencore
10-23-2003, 08:11 AM
i think Dennis Chambers has the fastest hands in terms of crossovers but on tomtoms only but on cymbals Virg is way up there.

kirk
10-23-2003, 12:44 PM
I like Smith alot and have seen him loads of times but no way in heck does he pull off half of what Virg does. Virg has the best crossovers using them in a variety of creative ways around the set like no one else can with amazing speed and precision "The crossover King" for sure. I remember seeing Chambers live a few years back and he was pulling off some good crossovers, then I saw Virg a few months later and Heck it was like a comparing
a round steak to Porterhouse no comparison. On the conneticut
2000 video he is blowing around the kit doing doubles and flam's while crossing over absolutely sick, more proficient than most guy's just rolling around with doubles.

Kirk

peter
10-23-2003, 01:39 PM
I have seen Steve a number of times
and I have to agree with Kirk. There
really is no way to compare them and
yes, I love Smith and his ability. He is
a great drummer and with a wonderful
understanding of music.

Virgil is just another species. There is
nothing Virgil cannot do. He is physically
the most proficient drummer I have ever
seen, the likes of which is a challenge just
to imagine and I mean that he exists at
all. I hear some people talk about him
and I am amazed at the lack of perception.
It must be that he is so overwhelming
as to spark jealousy at worst and
amnesia at best.

:eek:

kirk
10-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Absolutely Peter sometimes Jealousy And denial easily come to the surface when confronted with a reality that was not desired.
Just read the first Modern Drummer cover article with Virg, where
in the editorial section one of the head editors of the magazine writes where he had seen Virgil at Pasic in Florida which I was fortunate enough to attend also. He writes After Virgil's performance their was literally SHOCK and frustration, hysterical laughter, discouragement and even down right anger by some because this guy got up and stage and BLEW!!! the crowd out of their seats.

One guy was walking away with his head down after the performance and this guy about 23 or 24 was playing earlier in the Gear Hall on one of the new set's and this Guy could flat out play and he was mumbling to himself saying Man I thought I was good but after this back to the drawing board but I will learn from what I saw, what a great attitude to have and I am sure that guy is much better now than he was even then.

It was hysterical to watch guy's huddle together to begin to dissect what they had just saw. Some had to defend their own stature and abilities because they just had their World ROCKED!
After that performance Modern Drummer said "Virgil the most proficient drummer in the World" He knocked me on my behind the first time I saw him and I could of gotten mad and defiant but I accepted the reality and have hopefully tried and learn from it.

Kirk

Christopher
10-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Kirk and Peter, your words are just great. You got a good smile out of me today!

peter
10-23-2003, 07:04 PM
It's just the truth, Christopher! :)

Seriously! :eek:

It's all positive, though. People ask
me why I am getting so much done
these days on the drums. My answer
is always the same:

VIRGIL DONATI!

He is the fire on the torch. He just
makes me want to get better. What
more can you ask? The most un-
believable drummer becomes the
most unbelievable inspiration.

It makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is how
he does it, though! ;)

All kidding aside, I can't say enough
about Virgil. He's not beheld until he's
seen and afterwards, you are marked
and I mean forever!

Thank Heaven for Forever!!! :D

timthedrummer
10-23-2003, 11:37 PM
well said guys
unforntunatly i havent seen virgil live but i have seen him on every video i could get...
back to what was being said - remember the first time i saw virgil and he was doin crossovers and i was like damn look at the power (its a hard feeling to descibe)...
we all take it for granted now but seriously dennis chambers and others cant touch virgil on crossovers- he's the one who took them to the next level and im sure he wants to stay there for some time to come...
also think about the influence of buddy rich- i mean he does things no one could do the way he did it but its was his INDIVIDUALISM. so dont get discouraged after seeing virgil cuz u just gotta try and have ur own crazy ass style u know??
(but its a shame for up comers like thomas lang who kinda remind u of virgil cuz virgil has thought of everything in terms of nuts playing)!!

Lucius
10-24-2003, 01:41 AM
True but when you think Virgil has come up with all he can in terms of nuts playing, he seems to come up with something 100 times harder and more impressive than before! B**tard... :D

peter
10-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Before I forget, Kirk! What's
your ID over at HOD?

Now, to Virgil:

At the last clinic, one of the
guys at the local supplier
(sponsers) said that every-
time Virgil comes for a clinic, he
lays down new foundation and
then the following clinic, he
builds up that much further!
Virgil is up on the 16th floor,
while we're counting the
bricks on the foundation!

Not to discourage us, Virgil is
very aware that this is an ex-
ponential journey that we are
on. In other words, our growth
pattern is an expanding one,
where we may level off for a
while but when it kicks in, it's
a quantum leap that takes
place and the doors that open
are many with just the one.

What a gift! What a legacy!

kirk
10-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Peter it is Digital or Digital Man or Dig as some refer to me. Glad to see you over at the HOD board.

Kirk

skin snapper
08-26-2004, 05:28 AM
People talk about how much of an inspiration virgil is, i went out and bought the Steve vai live in london dvd, without even knowing virgil was on it, i just wanted to see steve vai.

Midway through a song with a massively harmoniced entry to a heart pounding tap, hammer and pull-off solo that blew my mind, i had realised it was virgil before then.

By the end of the solo, i needed a mining expert to help me find my jaw, it dropped that much, it changed my mind on drumming forever.

From then on, the second i get home at around 5 o'clock from the bus off school (i'm 13) i practice over 1 hour a day, just because of that dvd, my re-newed passion has rubbed off on my friend, almost tripling his practice.

That, in my mind is one hell of an inspiration!

alencore
08-26-2004, 08:22 PM
well, for one thing so humbling (md festival 97 vid)... virg lost grip to his left stick when it got cought on the floor tom doing those blinding super fast 2 notes drum to drum passes (i think) which simply show us mortals that Virg do bleeds...and may still be human after all this drum evolution he is going at...hehe.

alencore
08-26-2004, 08:38 PM
By the end of the solo, i needed a mining expert to help me find my jaw, it dropped that much, it changed my mind on drumming forever.

ROTFL!
that dvd on the commentary part made steve vai edit those tomtom sound coz the mics on them for some weird reason got turned off. no wonder they sound weak. but master virg still made them fly.

jimi
08-27-2004, 02:53 AM
when it got cought on the floor tom doing those blinding super fast 2 notes drum to drum passes (i think)

There triplets (rlr lrl) but yes SUPER FAST!!!

C.J.
08-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Amen drum brothers

D. Slam
08-30-2004, 02:44 AM
tim ...i think you are talking bout www.drummerworld.com

yeeah virg is crazy...but ive seen steve smith do that as well..!! :eek:

if you want to see some phenomenal stick control by Steve Smith, I suggest you check out the Drummer and Bass Day Collective video. Steve is an amazing player. Not a whole lot of razzle-dazzle, just some unbelievable drumming. He shows some stick control tricks on this video that will blow your mind.

The man has surely done his homework.

Don.

Kinetic drummer
08-30-2004, 06:54 AM
did you noticed has very, very very long arms??? i mean larger than usual....
hes sick

alencore
08-30-2004, 10:07 AM
yeah virg limbs are just so damn sexy!...lol...hmmm...wtf some of you are thinking now?...hahaha!!!

alencore
08-30-2004, 10:10 AM
There triplets (rlr lrl) but yes SUPER FAST!!!
now there's the culprit...he's stick got cought on the next left stick stroke. really tough.