PDA

View Full Version : Mangini Clinic

johngregson
08-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I just got back from seeing Mike 'How Fast?' Mangini at the Bath Guitar Festival...seriously incredible experience, I must say.

He was there for 2 days, but I could only see him on the 1st (hectic schedule, donchaknow). He demonstrated his incredible single strokes, his approach to practicing (it's all in the eyes!), and his ambidextrous setup.

He played through the whole flipping Fire Garden Suite! Mindblowing, seeing him up close.
He even answered my question about 'Incantation', and then played through it as well...
Oh, and demonstrated a wide range of afro-cuban-esque grooves. His knowledge of , and respect for, that tradition is stunning.

His demeanour was far more 'Famularo'-esque than I previously thought - does he ever run out of energy? Incredibly interesting, thought-provoking, and humbling experience all in one.
I have gained a whole new respect for the man. Please try and catch him in a workshop!

Best,
John.

Jameson
08-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm very jealous, Mike's my favorite drummer. Glad to hear you had a good time.

If anyone has any videos of Mike at all, please PM me!

cjcdrums
08-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Sounds incredible, John! Could you expand a little on his practicing philosphy? What do you mean by "it's all in the eyes"?

C.J.
08-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I second Cjc's post: could you please develop that subject John?

vdreignsuponus1
08-27-2005, 01:29 PM
i'm glad i got to see a little bit of him live at last summer's percussion festival. it was amazing! i wish i could see a mangini clinic, but i'm grateful enough for that, heh.

i'm still jelous john!:)

johngregson
08-27-2005, 02:09 PM
OK, the 'eyes' principle. He says he mentions it in his Rhythm Knowledge tomes,but as I haven't seen them yet, I'll recount what I can recall.

Although we think that we can 'feel' what our body is doing, in reality we don't pick up on a lot of stimuli. If you're playing fast singles with your feet, for instance, you may think that your feet are moving the minimum (most efficient) distance, without swaying, to allow for maximum speed. However, we don't notice if we stray from this by feel alone.
By using our eyes, we can observe the slightest deviance from 'perfect'/ideal technique. My analogy would be: if you get a paper cut, you don't notice until you look down at your finger. Then it hurts.
Mike says (and I agree), that the visual increases the awareness of the tactile sensations - the sensations don't work best in isolation.

I think that explains it adequately. I'm sure the chaps over at Mike's forum, with their knowledge of his books, would do a far better job.
[actually, one of the guys from Mike's forum was there on Thursday, but I didn't catch his name...if the guy who started the Disco-Funk beat at Friday's concert is reading this, give us a shout!]

Have fun,
John.

edugiardina
08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
hey john!!!...i love mangini too, i'm from Argentina, right here is very rare to see a clinic so upclose like you did...i must admit i envy you a little bit..
:p ....now, about the subject you just talked about... when i'm practicing snare drum technique, i always focus on the tip of the stick...focusing my sight on the tip, especially when i have to play softer (piano), at fast tempos, i never take my eyes of the tip, it always worked for me, although i never heard mangini sayin' something like that...what part of your legs or feet would you say is usefull to concentrate while your practicing??...i think the toes are the ones that need "visual concentration"....what do you think about it????...thanx dude!!!!....

Johnny
08-27-2005, 03:45 PM
If the Mangini forum guy didn't ask Mike to play U2's "Pride," then he's a loser (private forum joke).

The whole thing with RK is that it involves training the muscle memory in the most efficient way. A HUGE part of that is adding "importance" to the information you are trying to "record." The memory stores info through "gates" that open wider the more important something seems to be. More sensory input=more importance.

That's why it's essential to look, listen, and feel when you practice. It's why counting out loud improves effective practicing a zillion percent. It's also why hitting a pad in front of the TV is a bad idea.

cjcdrums
08-27-2005, 08:13 PM
It's why counting out loud improves effective practicing a zillion percent.
REALLY?

You have personal experience with this, Johnny?

cjcdrums
08-27-2005, 08:15 PM
So Johnny, you seem to know a great deal about this. If I wanted to increase the speed of my flam-5's by 20 bpm (I do) how would I go about using Mangini's system to improve my practice efficiency?

(Sorry for the double post)

C.J.
08-28-2005, 01:03 AM
I think I really need to buy Rythm Knowledge now...

johngregson
08-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Yup, counting out loud really helps my practice. It requires extra co-ordination from just thinking the numbers, and forces you to know where you are in the bar.

Also, Johnny, the forum chap did ask him to play "Pride", but Mike didn't know what that was - someone suggested it might be the U2 song. Mike said he didn't know the drum part, but if someone gave him the CD, he'd learn and play it at the class!

(btw, if that forum guy reads this again, I've found my other elbow!).

John.

Dillinger
08-28-2005, 02:50 AM
Oh man, that clinic would've been an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing it with us john! I love Mangini, he is indeed a very intelligent individual and fantastic drummer. I really need to buy those Rhythm Knowledge books, I've read nothing but extremely good things about them.
Thanks again john.

Johnny
08-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Some guy once puzzled Mike like that by asking him to play "Pride." I want someone from his board to request it at every clininc. I think that would be really funny.

johngregson
08-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Oh, and here's another photo of me grinning inanely.
Mucho respect for Mike!

ataraxia
08-28-2005, 12:43 PM
how good was the fire garden suite?? mike played that at the AUDW, (quite a Vai orientated weekend). when he played it then it was just so ****ing good. he did admit that it's twelve minutes of evil guitar madness. more like satanic drum madness.

Johnny
08-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Now see, I was all set to answer your questions, and then I read that.

*shudder*

cjcdrums
08-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Now see, I was all set to answer your questions, and then I read that.

*shudder*
Read what?

Johnny
08-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Nice save.

cjcdrums
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Please answer my questions, Johnny! I need to know...

johngregson
08-29-2005, 01:21 AM
What would we do without a delete button?

Jameson
08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Probably end up very embarassed.

C.J.
08-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Euh like what the hell is going on?!

percusski
09-01-2005, 05:09 AM
John, was this also known as the Bath Rhythm festival, if so did you check out any of the other drummers there? I know Pete Zeldman was appearing.

johngregson
09-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Yep, this was the esteemed Bath Rhythm do. I didn't see Pete, unfortunately! I know he was on the list, but I didn't see him hanging around...
I was busy with guitar related activities, but managed to slip into Mike's clinic, and the Drumbassador's gig - both superb!