PDA

View Full Version : Buying Axis Doubles this week? should I buy 'A' or 'X' !!!!!

scottevtv
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
I am ready this week to make the purchase. It is still coming down to the wire. I don't know if I should buy the 'A' double or the 'X' double? The 'A' double I can get for $499, the 'X' double I can get for $399. The only difference between the 'A' and the 'X' are: 1) The Vari Drive Lever 2) The heavy duty springs. 3) The Sonic Hammers. I have heard people say that they don't really like the Sonic Hammers, that they prefer the Marksman ones that come the 'X' line. I can always buy the Heavy springs also. It comes down to the VDL. I know Bostic said the pedal angle is steeper not having the VDL, so the toe spacers might not even be needed with the 'X'... Again I am ordering them on Monday and I still don't know which one to get.. Help! ;)

Jameson
08-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I wish I could help - I was actually pondering the same question.

scottevtv
08-26-2005, 05:00 PM
I guess I could always buy the Markman beaters...

pcannon
08-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Or just buy the best..............SONOR GIANT STEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottevtv
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
for real..

Bostic
08-26-2005, 08:30 PM
This is just one of those situations where you have to pick something and go with it. Almost everyone buys the A series because they are the higher end of the two and are more adjustable. If you've never really played an Axis pedal much you don't have anything to compare it to. Thus it's really hard to explain the overall feel between the two designs. My first Axis pedals were 2 X series shortboard singles that I used for a couple years. That's all that Guitar Center usually stocks from Axis and I figured I wanted something close to my Tama Camcos but with the fixed linkage. Since I didn't play heel toe I didn't give a second thought to the longboard design. So over time I became used to how they feel and what to expect when I step down on the pedals.

Near the end of 2002 I had saved up some money and figured why not try the A longboards since everyone was using them. When they arrived what I noticed right away was the leverage was different. Still ultra smooth and quiet and fast but my feet didn't feel the same at all. I kept them and would make changes from time to time to the position of the variable drive lever. However since I had spent a few years on the X style I never really got used to the difference and ended up going back to my X shortboards. A few months later I put the Longboards on the X series and have stuck with them.

In my own definition of feel the X series is more 'direct' then the A series. When I spoke to Darrell at Axis about this he mentioned what it must be. That the sweet spot on the design of the X is when the beater strikes the head where as on the A series it's shortly before the beater reaches the head. Combine that with a small size diameter beater like the marksman, my feet needed to push down farther than where it 'felt' they should stop to hit the drum heads. The Sonic Hammer design corrects that feeling since it sticks forward more than traditional beaters. That design is not for me however. Darrell also provided some tips on how to make the A series feel like the X but it involves still using the Sonic Hammer beaters.

I think the toe risers mentioning has somewhat planted a train of thought in everyone. Because now everyone thinks buy the Axis A longboards and you need the toe risers or else you will not care for how low the footboard height is. In my opinion Axis A pedals without the toe risers are still a vast improvement over what any other companies offer, provided you are looking for the feel and precision of a fixed linkage pedal.

From a logical gut feeling point of view, get the A series. They offer the leverage adjustability advantage with the Variable drive lever, have the extra bearings in them and if you end up disliking them, they always sell on ebay. So it's not like you're going to be stuck with them.

Regardless of which series you pick it's going to take some time to adjust to them. Pretty much every drummer who posts on message boards who can play fast on their current pedals will say the same thing, "Wow these pedals are so fast, playing over 220 is a piece of cake!" Then the next day or two reality sets in and then comes the "Wow I can't control these pedals at all, what's going on here!!??" It's like new year's resolutions of going on a diet or quitting smoking, you have to want it bad enough to get over that hump to reap the benefits.

cjcdrums
08-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Wow, epic post, Bostic!

I laughed, I cried.... :D :D :D

scottevtv
08-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Awesome!! Thanks man. I am getting the "X" Longboard doubles. I made my final decison. I just want a real simple set up where I can play 210-220 BPM. That is really all my band calls for. I really like the way the Marksman beaters look. That is the exact style beater I like.. I can't wait!

Ken Kaniff
08-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Bostic, a very informative post.

D. Slam
08-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I am ready this week to make the purchase. It is still coming down to the wire. I don't know if I should buy the 'A' double or the 'X' double? The 'A' double I can get for $499, the 'X' double I can get for $399. The only difference between the 'A' and the 'X' are: 1) The Vari Drive Lever 2) The heavy duty springs. 3) The Sonic Hammers. I have heard people say that they don't really like the Sonic Hammers, that they prefer the Marksman ones that come the 'X' line. I can always buy the Heavy springs also. It comes down to the VDL. I know Bostic said the pedal angle is steeper not having the VDL, so the toe spacers might not even be needed with the 'X'... Again I am ordering them on Monday and I still don't know which one to get.. Help! ;)

Hey, scottevtv,

I've played both pedals. And as you might already know, I have the Axis A Longboard. I'll tell you this much, the VDL makes a world of difference and puts the 'A' in a whole other league Than the 'X'. There's really no comparison. That's how I feel anyway. If you haven't had the chance to compare them, I suggest you try and do so before making your decision. The VDL is surely one of the features that puts this pedal over the top, not just from other brands but it's own kind, also!

It's like a 4 and 6 cylinder vehicle, you WILL definately notice the peformance difference. If you're trying to save money, I would suggest you compare the 'A' Longboard with the 'A' Shortboard. I've played this pedal also and for me, it feels as good as the Longboard since I play with my heels up anyway, and I would think it costs less money. I saw a used double 'A' Shortboard for $250.00. It didn't have the Sonic beaters and It's not quite as versitile for the person that likes to switch between heels up and heels down. So if you're one of these people, this is something you'd probably want to consider.

The 'X' isn't a bad pedal but the 'A' leaves it in the dust and that's the reason behind the price difference for sure... Beaters are a snap to change... For me, the Sonic beaters are simply too heavy and produce a very unsolid, boomy sound on the bass drum. But some people obviously like them and you might too. In any case, my suggestion would be to go with the 'A' series... If you can afford it, do it!

D.

P.S. Also, do some shopping around... You could most likely get a better deal on some of these online stores. My wife paid $450.00 out the door for mine.

D. Slam
08-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Check this page out, scottevtv... You have to consider shipping cost don't forget...

http://search.ebay.com/axis-pedal_W0QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQssPageNameZWLRS

scottevtv
08-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Wow, now I really don't know which to get! lol... I know one thing I am buying new. I am not buying used. If something strips or breaks I want to punch myself in the face. I can't take a chance that someone over tightened or something. The thing that really is a bummer is no stores carry the pedals in stock so I can't try them. I just have to pick a model and hope It is the best one..

scottevtv
08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey Bostic if I get the 'A's you said I can set them to feel like the 'X'. on the sonic hammers should the beater be further forward than the shaft or a little further back and about where should I have the VDL set??

scottevtv
08-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I am just getting the 'A' I made up my mind.. I can always duplicate the settings to make it feel like an 'X'

scottevtv
08-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Now I am geting the 'X' because I have heard really good things about the Marksman beaters. I just want a real simple set up. I can't wait till they arrive at my door step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek Roddy
08-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I am just getting the 'A' I made up my mind.. I can always duplicate the settings to make it feel like an 'X'

keep in mind, that the goal is to make them feel the way YOU want them to feel! not the way an X pedal feels. the X pedal does not give you this option. if you don't like it.....there's NOTHING you can do about it with the X pedal. not the case with the A's. just a thought. beaters can.... and will be changed.

cjcdrums
08-28-2005, 02:00 PM
^Good point.

D. Slam
08-28-2005, 02:10 PM
keep in mind, that the goal is to make them feel the way YOU want them to feel! not the way an X pedal feels. the X pedal does not give you this option. if you don't like it.....there's NOTHING you can do about it with the X pedal. not the case with the A's. just a thought. beaters can.... and will be changed.

That's it, all wrapped up in a nutshell.... Well said, Derek.

scottevtv
08-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah but I don't know if I want the Sonic Hammers yet. And the Marksman hits the sweet spot at the same time as it strikes the head with the 'X', if I don't like the Sonic hammers maybe then the Marksman's won't feel rite on the "A's Plus the 'X' is $100 less.. Either way I don't want to be stuck..

Derek Roddy
08-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah but I don't know if I want the Sonic Hammers yet. And the Marksman hits the sweet spot at the same time as it strikes the head with the 'X', if I don't like the Sonic hammers maybe then the Marksman's won't feel rite on the "A's Plus the 'X' is $100 less.. Either way I don't want to be stuck..

you don't HAVE to use the sonic hammers if you don't want too. when the longboards first came out, Darrell didn't even have a design for the sonic hammers. it's not like they were designed for the longboards.
in fact, of all the longboard users i know (which is AT LEAST 75)......NONE of them use the sonic hammers......in fact, none of them use ANY of the Axis beaters. i only know 3 or 4 people that use the Axis beaters with their Axis pedals. i use danmar beaters or the pearl quad beater on my longboards.
you must realize that the beater angle on any pedal, from ANY manufacturer is a standard 45 degree, including Axis. if you want the beater closer to the head....you simply move it closer to the head. this is true for any pedal.
i would say... that in the long run, you'll be happier with being able to adjust the settings as you see fit. good luck with it. i know it sucks not being able to try them out. everyone i knew who as gotten them, put them away after 3 weeks or so,only to come back to them later and keep with them. Axis isn't a pedal that you "play", it's a pedal that you "control"! there's a big difference. i think, that's why so many drummers have a hard time adjusting to them. until you realize the potiential of controling rather than struggling to play something, you'll never be happy with them. they sure take getting use to though. LOL.

scottevtv
08-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks I will let you know. I have really good control on any pedal. I hope I will like them. I will post when I get them. I think I will like the Marksman beaters. It is the style of beater I am use to.

D. Slam
08-29-2005, 02:35 AM
Axis isn't a pedal that you "play", it's a pedal that you "control"! there's a big difference. i think, that's why so many drummers have a hard time adjusting to them. until you realize the potiential of controling rather than struggling to play something, you'll never be happy with them. they sure take getting use to though. LOL.

I've heard a lot of people say this... And I'm not saying that it's wrong because I'm sure that for them, this was the case. But for me, it wasn't. It was more a project of working with the adjustments on the pedal. After that there was nothing I needed to get used to, I felt right at home with it.

With all my other pedals, it was always just a matter of taking them out of the box, adjusting the springs, hooking them to the drum and playing them. This doesn't work for the Axis. It's a pedal that requires some kid gloves and loving hands. Right out of the box, it's crap! Once you get it fine tuned to the way you like it though, WATCH OUT!

What concerns me about the 'X' is you don't have as many of the adjustment options as the 'A'. So like Derek said, You get it and then don't like the way it feels,,,, Oh well...

D.

alencore
08-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Wow, epic post, Bostic!

I laughed, I cried.... :D :D :D
ROTFLMAO@cjc...kid your humor is such a blessing...HAHAHA!

alencore
08-29-2005, 05:34 AM
when it comes to adjusting the pedals any pedals, man very first db pedals where such nightmares i struggled to get everything on the right setting but with the yamahas oh man all i did was adjust the spring tension a little and i was rocking out like i was having sex at instant with a new girl i just met....HAHAHAHAHA!

scottevtv
08-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I have seen Bostic play and we pretty much have the same style. What he said about the feel of the 'X' line is right on par with the type of feel I am looking for. I have tried the Marksman beaters at GC and I love them. I am buying 'X' Longboard Doubles. I am ordering them this week. I am sure the 'A' line is great but I think the 'X' line will suit my purpose. I play mostly singles anyway..

D. Slam
08-29-2005, 04:11 PM
I have seen Bostic play and we pretty much have the same style. What he said about the feel of the 'X' line is right on par with the type of feel I am looking for. I have tried the Marksman beaters at GC and I love them. I am buying 'X' Longboard Doubles. I am ordering them this week. I am sure the 'A' line is great but I think the 'X' line will suit my purpose. I play mostly singles anyway..

Go for it, scottevtv... It's YOUR money, after all. I hope it all works out for you.

Bostic
08-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Some serious flip floppin here. To quote the line from Risky Business, sometimes you just have to say "What the ****, take some chances." And for a Caddyshack line "See your future, be your future, make it."

scottevtv
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
lol!! I think I have made up my mind. I am sure either way I will be happy. I just want to play 200 BPM and have it sound real clean and be able to last for a least 60 sec.. Thanks again for all your help Bostic. The pedals should arrive at my house in a few weeks. I will let you all know what I think then :cool:

C.J.
08-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Not that much to do with Scotts questioning, sorry. But I wanted to know, is a an Axis double pedal convertible in to two single pedals?

roxz
08-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Not that much to do with Scotts questioning, sorry. But I wanted to know, is a an Axis double pedal convertible in to two single pedals?

Yes, it sure is

D. Slam
08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
The Axis A is the Bently, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porche, Rolls Royce, etc, etc... of pedals in my book. Perhaps there's something out there better, but I know I haven't found it at this time. The pedal is expensive and worth every penny! It takes some work to get it adjusted like you want, but really, in my book, all good things require some work effort on our part. In the end, the rewards are that much greater.

For me, there was no getting used to it over time. Once I got my settings dialed in and took off the hammers, the ride was all downhill from there. A piece of cake!

Of course it feels different, BETTER is different!

I'm a pretty open minded person when it comes to these kinds of things, but the Axis A has won me over to an extreme where I feel way over the top satisfied. I own and have used some great pedals, but nothing I've ever had or used in the past comes close to this unit... I don't have an endorsement deal (I wish), I have nothing to gain from saying this except the fact of knowing that the persons that aquire this piece has the best damn kick pedal on the planet, bar none!

Thank you and good night! ;)

D.

peter
08-30-2005, 09:03 PM
We'll never stop talking about Axis pedals. LOL

I like reading some of these posts, like Derek's,
for instance. Incidentally, Derek, you are a real
asset to this board.

I have said it in so many ways. The Axis-A is
an engineering triumph for drum pedals. It's
universal cam does something that pedals
will be trying to emulate from now on.

You have to look at his pedal like a work of
art and see what it can do for you, allowing
it the time and space to sink in.

I just played my Eliminators for two days,
loved them and then played my Axis-A's
again and worshipped them.

I want to get my hands on some BOA's a-
again, to really work its concept, the only
thing that comes close to the Axis.

;)

scottevtv
08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Are you talking about the new Bow Action Pedal by DW.. I tried one at the store and it was awesome.. It has a VDL also.. It was a really nice pedal I just don't know how if feels on a bass drum.. I played it in the air. It was a cool concept to have no spring and the tension actually felt pretty nice.. It is expensive at $220 a single though.

peter
08-30-2005, 11:32 PM
The VDL is in the movement of the footboard,
towards and away from the head.

scottevtv
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
I know. I was saying that the new BOA pedal by DW has a similiar design to the VDL. It pretty much does the same thing for the feel of the pedal..

Derek Roddy
08-31-2005, 11:28 AM
i played the DW BOA pedal at NAMM this year and was not impressed. it was sssooooo ssslllooowwww. the feel was NOTHING like an Axis pedal. apparently, that was a proto type and they made some improvements...........good!!! it needed it.

I agree with Peter about the eliminator's. for a regular stock pedal, it is the best one out there. i have a pair of strap drives myself. have no problem pulling off any normal playing.....just can't hold out singles over 230, as fast or as long, as i can with the axis pedals. still think they are the best value, but can't put a price on a Axis pedal. i'd still buy a Axis over any other, even if they were $1000.00 bucks.............................................each!!!!!!!!!

Bostic
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
They call it a BOA because it constricts your playing?? *rimshot* :D

You just can't top the feel of Axis plus the benefits of the ekit triggers. Once you have, there is no going back. It's like going back to a car without power steering or brakes.

peter
08-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Derek/Bostic - LOL

You guys!!

scottevtv
08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
I never said I was getting a BOA. I just tried one at my local drum store. I did think it felt pretty cool. For the price it better be good. I am getting my Axis longboards 'X' doubles in a few weeks..

D. Slam
08-31-2005, 02:35 PM
They call it a BOA because it constricts your playing?? *rimshot* :D

You just can't top the feel of Axis plus the benefits of the ekit triggers. Once you have, there is no going back. It's like going back to a car without power steering or brakes.

You used to drive a car without brakes?!.... I'm sched-a-you! :)

D.

Blast_Duck
09-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Im really frustrated that im not over the AXIS - 'Temporary Regret Syndrome' (as i like to call it). I've had them for months and ive only just narrowed down some basic VDL settings which i like. I find the foot board to be slippery and the slave pedal seems to slip lower and lower each playing and is never identical to the right and eventually ends up hitting the pedal clamp at the base of the pedal. I see their huge potential but ive actually got worse since i bought them. I almost sold them till i read a few more AXIS-worshipping threads. Also a further frustration is that the most-used allen key for the pedal has deformed at the head and as im a UK customer i have no access to upgrades/accessories such as the toe risers which i am so desperate to have. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........this better blow over....i KNOW they are good pedals its just taking too long....... *Sigh*

Derek Roddy
09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
i would suggest... picking a spot on the VDL that you are MOST comfortable with......and stick with it. i would say because you are constantly changing, so is your ability to adjust to them.
as far as the slave pedal slipping...this too can be fixed. there are actually 3 allen key spots on the drive shaft. most users will only use the 2 in the front of the drive shaft because they are easier to reach. try to re set them all. tighten the back side allen key first the 3rd one. little bit more snug than it was before.....then do the 2 in the front. make sure you always re tighten the 3 rd key everytime. should solve your problem.
the reason your alen key is re-forming is because you are tightening the allen screw to much. if you pull the drive shaft apart, look where the screws would come into contact with the other side.......... search for grooves. if you have them.... move your distance a bit further or closer to make sure the screws don't fall back in the same place.

Bostic
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
While at Axis last week I had them change my 2nd set of pedals, the A's, over to X's. Power of the X.

You have to get through the switch over factor. I kept going back to my Camcos too until the switch was complete. One day the brain and body just connect with the Axis feel and the regret syndrome disappears.

Blast_Duck
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks derek and bostic... sorry about the rant i needed to get it out my system..i imagine you know the feeling. This is what i found..

After much inspection it seems there are 3 places where the slave pedal may be moving independantly of the beater: 1 - as derek rightly said the linkage shaft. 2 - the cam on the axle of the slave pedal. and 3- the slave beater 'cam' on the master pedal.
After replacing the allen key and doign necessary tightenings/adjustments i finally got both pedals and beaters at the same angle.

I havnt given it a proper go yet (its too late to play right now) but just a quick barefoot tap told em i had done the right things.

Also i may consider applying a strip of grip tape, (similar to that found on skateboards) on to the 'sweet spot' of the pedal boards once ive found my 'sweet' settings. 'ATRS' should blow over soon with some practice and patience.

thanks again

scottevtv
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I bought the Axis 'A' Longboard Doubles. I ordered them through samash.com. I was originally going to get the 'X' line but they only had the 'A' line in stock and I didn't feel like waiting four weeks. I ordered them on Tuesday next day air, they are coming Tomorrow! I can't wait. I am sure I will like them. I have a no interest credit card with Sam Ash and it is costing me $37 dollars a month. Which is not bad. I will post tomorrow to let you all know what I think of them. I am really excited.. Question for Bostic and Derek, should I use the beater distance that comes out of the box? I have heard a lot of people say that the beater distance that comes out of the box feels pretty good. And also I have heard that the beater height can be pretty high as well. How do you all have them set up. I like my springs pretty tight so I will probably wind up cranking them way up. They come with the Sonic Hammers. I have never tried the Hammers so I am eager to see what they are all about. Thanks again for all you advice Bostic. To be honest in the future I might even buy the 'X' Longboards also. I just got a new job and I make great money so I really don't mind spending the money if I am going to be real happy with Axis products. Again I will let you all know. :D

Blast_Duck
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Although it was asked for derek / bostic i will just let u know what i have as an additional opinion. First i will say dont stick with factory settings. try it then make necessary adjustments.

I like the VDL about one centimetere from the top, standard 45 degree angle beater angle with the beaters sticking out an inch from the bottom. Spring tension is just somewhere between med and tight. Basically i try to emulate a 'conventional' pedal design except i have the advantage of a direct linkage system instead of a chain/strap. I have found radical pedal settings on the axis to result in some sort of discomfort.

However, scottevtv, If i were you i would exploit the 'forward' design of the Sonic Hammers (which i dont have) and try them with the VDL toward the BACK. Theoretically this will give you the insane response as usual except it should be really easy to press and make a solid stroke. It is something i would love to try but cannot.

IronCobraMan
09-07-2005, 11:04 PM
thats exactly the thing i hate hearing about axis....oh u have to get used to them...once u understand them....take time to learn them.....

as soon as i setup my eliminators i was flying...with so much power and CONTROL

i remember when i bought my axis i was amazed at how easy singles were....but everything else suffered....the sonic hammers sounded horrible...i couldnt get a hold of spacers so using other beaters was out of the question...

this might sound wierd coming from me...but theres more to a pedal than its ability to make u play fast....my feet are acostumed to heavy pedals, my ankles move well with heavy plates....

my main beef with axis was my inabilty to play straight up grooves....i felt so off and out of the pocket....playing slow was really awkward as well...but then when it came time to play 250 bpm....it was a piece of cake....and not jus any regular piece of cake ... im talking sara lee's boston cream pie over here....

one day when my music store has an abundance of toe spacers and longboards...i might reconcider and spend a good day in the store messing around with it...but until then....eliminators on the kit and cobras at home on the pads

scottevtv
09-08-2005, 09:57 AM
My 'A' Longboard doubles are being delivered to my house in a few hours via Fed Ex! I am waiting for them to come now. I am excited. I will post around dinner time and let you all know how I feel once and for all..

Derek Roddy
09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
on no, you'll be posting for months with how you "feel" about them. :)

good or bad!!!!!

scottevtv
09-08-2005, 10:08 AM
lol, maybe, maybe not.. If I really like them I will probably be playing mostly.. Again I will let you know..

scottevtv
09-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Derek are you using the Pearl Quad beaters with your 'A's that what it looked like in a pic I saw. Also, what did you think of the sonic hammers. If I like the hammers do you think I will be able to come up with a good setting with out having to worry about the toe spacers??

Derek Roddy
09-08-2005, 10:52 AM
yea, right now i'm using the quad beater. I go back and forth to the felt danmar beaters.

I used my longboards for two years before I added the spacers. they're not something you need to make the longboards "feel good"!
in fact, adding the spacers doesn't change the feel of the pedal anyway......just the angle. this can be achieved by putting on a thicker sole shoe, or lowering your seat height 1/2 an inch.
i like playing in thick sole vans......or doc martins.

scottevtv
09-08-2005, 02:38 PM
I got my Axis Pedals I took them out of the box and checked them out. I have to go out tonight so I don't even have a chance to play them yet. I will post tomorrow when I have a chance to play them.

Nate Van Dyk
09-08-2005, 10:38 PM
yea, right now i'm using the quad beater. I go back and forth to the felt danmar beaters.

I used my longboards for two years before I added the spacers. they're not something you need to make the longboards "feel good"!
in fact, adding the spacers doesn't change the feel of the pedal anyway......just the angle. this can be achieved by putting on a thicker sole shoe, or lowering your seat height 1/2 an inch.
i like playing in thick sole vans......or doc martins.
I knew there had to be some reason for that 'Warped Tour' footwear...lol

peter
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I would be prepared to make changes. Don't
rule anything out. If you have some quad's
around, keep them handy. Try everything.

I am including beater distance on that too.

I do not use the hammers. I use the quads.
I have brought my beater closer to the head,
as a result. I do not use a lot of tension on
the springs. I used to. Be open.

scottevtv
09-09-2005, 03:11 PM
I finally have my 'A' Longboard doubles! I played them for like twenty minutes today. They are really amazing. I have been so busy with a bunch of stuff in my life the past few days so I have not had time to really play with them and adjust them. I will have more time on Sunday. I plan on posting a full review of everything with pictures and all very soon..

IronCobraMan
09-09-2005, 10:22 PM
in fact, adding the spacers doesn't change the feel of the pedal anyway......just the angle. .

to me these small details mean a world of difference.... the angle at which ur footboard's gonna be is the way ur ankles are gonna move....i felt so disoriented on axis....had i been able to get my hands of spacers , it might of changed everything.... i could have been a contender!

scottevtv
09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
ICM maybe you should just buy the 'X' Longboard doubles line like Bostic has. I heard they are just as fast as the 'A' line and they are really easy to set up. I really like the 'A' line, it is amazing. I never tried the 'X' line but it looks to be just as good. I am going to be posting a review of the 'A' line with pics and everything very soon. There are a lot of adjustments on the 'A' line it took me about twenty minutes before I found a setting that really worked for my style of playing. I am actually going to order an 'X' Longboard double as well. I am so happy with Axis products that I want to have a collection just like Bostic has. One adjustment that I learned from the great video Bostic put out was, on the slave side beater holder the piece that holds it can be adjusted so you can move the slave beater closer to the main beater. Out of the box it is a little angled out. I adjusted it by loosening the two alan screws. Believe it or not this made a big difference in how the slave pedal felt. I probably would have overlooked it if it weren't for the video Bostic posted on the PDF. I actually like the Sonic hammers, It is just a matter of "tweaking" the pedals until you find a setting that works. I cranked the springs up and I am able to play very fast double bass. I am thinking of buy a Drumometer.

Blast_Duck
09-10-2005, 09:56 AM
to me these small details mean a world of difference.... the angle at which ur footboard's gonna be is the way ur ankles are gonna move....i felt so disoriented on axis....had i been able to get my hands of spacers , it might of changed everything.... i could have been a contender!

Amen ICM...ooh how i would love to not be stranded here in the UK without access to any AXIS accessories :-D

roxz
09-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Amen ICM...ooh how i would love to not be stranded here in the UK without access to any AXIS accessories :-D

Buy the right screws and make it yourself, it's only a little piece of metal.

Not a @#*!! freakin' computer.....

scottevtv
09-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Everything that came with my Axis pedals has been just fine. I didn't need anything else from Axis. I think it's in all your guys heads..

Blast_Duck
09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Buy the right screws and make it yourself, it's only a little piece of metal.

Not a @#*!! freakin' computer.....

Firstly i have built several computers and that is relatively easy :-)

I have been contemplating making the toe risers out of wood or plastic..they dont need to be aircraft grade aluminium like the rest of the pedals. Also if you are suggesting i make some longboards by myself.....err NO.

scottevtv
09-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I really don't think he was suggesting you try to make the Longboards your self silly.. If you really need the toe-spacers I would suggest going to the hardware store and seeing what they got in terms of material and screws. It can't really be that hard. Again I really love my new Axis pedals, I have not had any need for the toe-spacers. I have my Sonic Hammers set up in such a way that I am able to adjust the footboard height by just adjusting the "length" of the Sonic Hammers. I plan on posting a full review with pics sometime next week. I have been so busy working two jobs that I have hardly any time to play.. :(

Blast_Duck
09-13-2005, 02:42 PM
well i dont have sonic hammers therefore the toe risers would be a welcoem addition. A friends dad is going to make them for me in his garage.
As for making longboards......i did say i would like some and then somebody suggested i made all the parts i want......

enough anyway. AXIS rules :-D

roxz
09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
No....

That was the part toe raiser like scott said....

:)

Blast_Duck
09-15-2005, 07:03 AM
No....

That was the part toe raiser like scott said....

:)
actually he didnt specify and he said 'it' :D
seriously enough i hate arguing.

scottevtv
09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
You guys are going to think I am crazy but I like my Axis 'A' Longboards so much that I ordered the 'X' Longboard doubles as well! They are being shipped to my house tomorrow!!! Why?? Well the answer is I actually could never make up my mind as to which model I really wanted because I have no stores near me that stock the pedals so I could never try them out.. I plan on posting an awesome review comparing and contrasting both pedals with pictures and everything very soon! Again I work so much now that I really don't get to play as much as I would like to but it is nice to sit down to a set-up that really feels sweet.. Here are some pics in the mean time to hold you over..

cjcdrums
09-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Wow, it must be nice to be loaded! ;)

scottevtv
09-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I just got my 'X' Longboards today!! Now I have both 'A' and 'X' Longboard doubles.. Both of these pedals are amazing!!! I only had a few minutes to play with the 'X's.. I don't know yet which model I like better yet. I will post a full review very soon, probably next week with pics and all.. The 'X' line is a lot easier to set up I will tell you that much.. One thing that I noticed right away about the 'X' line is that the footboard height is higher by default than the 'A' series.. In other words at the exact same beater angle the footboard height on the 'X' pedals are between 1/4" and 1/2" higher then the 'A's.. This is a pretty big deal actually.. Again I haven't had enough time to test the 'X' pedals yet but I would say early that the 'X' series is just as good if not better than the 'A' series.. I will have a better opinion within the week with some hard facts.. Both the 'A' and the 'X' are way above any thing else that is out there. Believe me I have had every pedal on the market..Oh, and I counted the same exact number of bearings for both modles and they are the same berrings, if anyone still thinks the 'A' has more bearings it doesn't... And the 'X' line now ships with the heavy duty springs like the 'A's. The ONLY difference between the two models are the 'A' has the VDL and come with the Sonic Hammers. That is the only difference.. I know because I looked at both pedals under a microscope.. The footboard height is a little higher on the 'X' line because is has no VDL.. This might sound crazy but IMO the 'X' feels just as good if not even better than the 'A'.. I still don't see why the VDL makes the 'A' series $100 more.. I guess if you want to work on double stroke rolls the VDL would come in handy.. but I am still able to do doubles on the 'X' Longboards just as easy..

scottevtv
09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Ok, here a couple of quick pics of my 'X' Longboards.. Try not to drool on your keyboard.. ;)

Blast_Duck
09-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Niiice Scott! Welcome to the Axis Army (no deliberate WW2 connotations).
i still think your crazy buying both but oh well. I sometimes wish i had bought the 'X' but im happy enough with the A's. Axis really are a step above anything else.

scottevtv
09-17-2005, 12:46 PM
That is the whole thing though, I couldn't make up my mind.. I like the 'X' just as much as the 'A' if not more.. who could have knew? If I start getting more into double stroke rolls more then I guess the 'A's will come in handy, but other then that I will probably keep the 'X's on my kit..

roxz
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
You mad man!

mont_man22
09-17-2005, 06:17 PM
A because they have the footplate height/leverage adjustment!

scottevtv
09-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Yes they do but the 'X' line has a very different feel.. The footboard height is higher by default on the 'X' line so there is no need for toe spacers.. Basically I adjusted the VDL on my 'A's and found a spot I liked and pretty much left it in that one spot so it's not that big of a deal.. I really like the Marksman beaters. The 'X' line IMO is easier to set up.. I have been playing chain drive pedals for over ten years and that is the "feel" I am use to, the 'X' line emulates that feel quite nicely. The only difference between the two models is the VDL. Both pedals have the same amount and same exact bearings. I know because I counted them and looked at them. So it is not true that the 'A' has more bearings. Also the 'X' line now ships with the same heavy duty springs as the 'A' line, Again I know because I compared them side by side.. The Sonic Hammers are pretty cool but I prefer the simplicity of the Marksman beaters. So again it all comes down to the VDL. The 'X' line, (because it has no VDL) has the footboard 1/2" higher at the exact same beater angle as the 'A' line. There is no need for toe spacers with the 'X' line. The only reason I think someone should spend the extra $100 for the 'A' line is if they are really into double strokes as Tim is and they want to be able to alter the feel of how the double strokes feel. Other then that the 'X' is just as good IMO.. I can still play doubles with no problem. If the 'X' really works out I will return my 'A's or if I can't I will just sell them on ebay along with my Pearl Eliminators..