PDA

View Full Version : Steve Gillis

bootdogs
10-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Any of you listen to Filter's drummer Steve Gillis?

I have this guy on my top 10 list, thats for sure. Really solid and innovative drummer. I've been a Filter fan since their first single "Hey Man, Nice Shot" and I remember Robert Patrick mentioning that they were hiring a full time drummer for a tour and the next album. He said that this guy was the most creative human beatbox there is. Sure enough, he was right.

For some amazing solid drumming listen to the following tracks from the following albums from Filter:

Title of Record - It's Gonna Kill Me
Title of Record - The Best Things
Title of Record - I Will Lead You

The Amalgamut - American Cliché
The Amalgamut - Where do we go from here
The Amalgamut - God Damn Me

Here's his page on Pearl's website. http://www.pearldrum.com/s_gillis.asp

I've been trying to find more information on him, but i've been unlucky. Anyone else here influenced by Steve?

Christopher
10-21-2003, 05:01 PM
I didn't think anyone would talk about Steve Gillis here. But then again, we do have Capt. KillDrums!

I listen a LOT to Steve Gillis. Filter is also one of my favourite groups. Their production is top notch and they are always to the point musically. This last album, the Amalgamut is a good one, and Steve pulls a couple of nifty moves on American Cliché. It's all simple, yet so intricate at the same time.

I can't really say that I 'searched' around for him, but he's one of the drummers I love listening to.

Cheers!

timthedrummer
10-22-2003, 12:37 AM
im downloading a few songs now... but i love 'take a picture' and 'hey man nice shot' simple but perfectly effective

bootdogs
10-22-2003, 06:30 AM
Listen to the Amalgamut songs as well. They are all good.

Everything is just perfect on these albums.

Christopher
10-22-2003, 07:23 AM
"Hey Man, Nice Shot" doesnt have Steve Gillis playing though. It's Robert Patrick I think. He did all the work with someone else on that album (Im forgetting names!).

"Take a picture" won't really do justice if you wanna hear some cool sounds. "I Will Lead You" might be a good one to listen to off the Title of Record album.

I couldnt agree more though, bootdogs. It sounds perfect all around.