PDA

View Full Version : Guess who just bought a new pair of longboards!

IronCobraMan
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
i officially own a pair of bad ass all black axis longboards..... Fukin smooth! super fast....super powerful...superman...superbowl...i might have to change my name to LongBoardMan :D

ya thats right ...be jealous

i fixed em up and set em up on my bassdrum today.... 250 bpm was NOTHING....i was able to push 280 bpm for a good 5 seconds.....no jokes bros.... now i can see why tim waterson, derek roddy, pete sandoval and any speed guy uses em....

altho i will keep my work out routines etc on my cobras to keep my muscles conditioned to a heavy pedal with no tension....and my axis will have medium tension.....i was FLYING on them today....like a fairy princess!

Seaborn
08-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Super Death Metal Longboard Fairy Princess
You have to make a new vid now..

IronCobraMan
08-13-2005, 01:09 AM
dude....next big show i play...im gonna so build myself a pink fairy suit with little sparkling wings and put little stars at the tip of my sticks....and fukin blast like a maniac

that is so happening! :D:D:D

C.J.
08-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Make sure you take some pics of that suit (with you in it of course). I gotta see that!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you bank those black speed plates?

percusski
08-13-2005, 09:43 AM
I've had longboards for a while (years) and am still playing with the settings. How have you set them up initially i.e. the variable lever, beater hights/lengths etc. Also out of interest when playing fast singles how far down the pedals do find your feet ending up, have you noticed that they are further down the pedal compared to the cobras?

alencore
08-13-2005, 09:54 AM
we gotta vids of these new toy of the princess fairy in action!

mont_man22
08-13-2005, 09:56 AM
LUCKYYYYYY tell me how they are I might be getting a pair myself!!

IronCobraMan
08-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I've had longboards for a while (years) and am still playing with the settings. How have you set them up initially i.e. the variable lever, beater hights/lengths etc. Also out of interest when playing fast singles how far down the pedals do find your feet ending up, have you noticed that they are further down the pedal compared to the cobras?

the variable lever is almost way up to the top....and my sonic hammers are pretty high up....i tried to reproduce my iron cobra settings (except for spring tension) .... when im playing, the ball of my toe if right on the tip of the A of axis....but when im playing flatfooted i go down a little more, where the tip of my toes are touching the end the A....i kindda play the same distance on the plate as i would on my cobra.... because my cobra spring tension was almost on 0 ...so they were super light to begin with...so adapting to the longboards took me about 1 minute...

roxz
08-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Yo Dslam!!!

ICM DID IT

250 BPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

D. Slam
08-13-2005, 02:59 PM
i officially own a pair of bad ass all black axis longboards..... Fukin smooth! super fast....super powerful...superman...superbowl...i might have to change my name to LongBoardMan :D

ya thats right ...be jealous

i fixed em up and set em up on my bassdrum today.... 250 bpm was NOTHING....i was able to push 280 bpm for a good 5 seconds.....no jokes bros.... now i can see why tim waterson, derek roddy, pete sandoval and any speed guy uses em....

altho i will keep my work out routines etc on my cobras to keep my muscles conditioned to a heavy pedal with no tension....and my axis will have medium tension.....i was FLYING on them today....like a fairy princess!

ICM,

There you go man! Iron Cobras kick, but Axis A's kicks em all. I knew once you tried them, you'd be hooked. The only reason I didn't get the black ones is because they show wear on the footboards and tend to start looking a bit ugly where the stainless brushed aluminum one don't. Mine still look as good as the day I bought them and I play the heck out of em.

Congradulations, man! I knew you'd love them.

D.

D. Slam
08-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Yo Dslam!!!

ICM DID IT

250 BPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Yep, and should he decide to change those heavy sonic hammers, he'll REALLY fly!

IronCobraMan
08-13-2005, 05:38 PM
i like the sonic hammers

Bostic
08-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I knew you would cave in and get some Axis pedals. Every person that makes fun of them eventually breaks down and buys them. I've seen it on numerous message boards over the years. It's like Ben Kenobi telling Luke in Return of the Jedi, "You can not avoid your destiny.."

Jameson
08-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Sweet Christ. That's amazing. Once I get money I want to buy those pedals. I didn't even know they came in black though.

D. Slam
08-14-2005, 01:00 AM
i like the sonic hammers

So did I ICM. and I'm not knocking them. I would suggest though that you try some lighter beaters just to see what you think. They made all the difference in the world for me as far as speed and control is concerned and I can't pump out singles anywhere near the speed you can.

D.

C.J.
08-14-2005, 02:59 AM
The more you guys speak of Axis A's, the more I feel like getting some... I still think they look ugly though.

IronCobraMan
08-14-2005, 10:27 AM
no dude...only on pictures...they fukin sweet looking when u actually have em at ur kit

D. Slam
08-14-2005, 01:22 PM
The more you guys speak of Axis A's, the more I feel like getting some... I still think they look ugly though.

I think they're sweet looking pedals, just different, which is what gives them their own unique quality. But that's just me. The thing is it's not like anyone is going to be looking at an ugly drum kit. We're talking about function here, and that's what's important. The Axis A's are the most functional pedals on the market today, bar none!

I'm proud of you, ICM, for not being closed mind and at least having the willingness to explore the various options. I've been ranting about these pedals for close to a year now, Peter's been doing it even longer. I'm glad somebody decided to listen.

D.

C.J.
08-15-2005, 03:16 AM
I get what you're saying D. And I have know doubt that functionwise the Axis' are at the top.

Concerning you're second paragraph, I'm probably misunderstanding, but you know that money can be a problem to a lot of people... Axis costs your balls dude!

roxz
08-15-2005, 06:23 AM
I've had longboards (A) too. I'm left handed and the pedals I got from axis were...... lefty's ,
but the idiots didn't mirror the pedals from a right handed pedal like tama or pearl...

So the axes weren't in line with eachother. The main base was straight, and the slave pedal crooked.

Since I had to pay a lot of money I wanted my money back.

I do like the pedals but I don't know if it's smart ordering a pair.

peter
08-15-2005, 06:50 AM
I've had longboards (A) too. I'm left handed and the pedals I got from axis were...... lefty's ,
but the idiots didn't mirror the pedals from a right handed pedal like tama or pearl...

So the axes weren't in line with eachother. The main base was straight, and the slave pedal crooked.

Since I had to pay a lot of money I wanted my money back.

I do like the pedals but I don't know if it's smart ordering a pair.

Rox,

I have two singles and the kit that
connects them. I have absolutely no
issues with them.

IronCobraMan
08-15-2005, 11:32 AM
me either.....their rock solid fast....but im starting to wonder about the sonic beaters.... more a sound thing than a feel thing....they feel fine....its jus the sound they produce is too "boomy"...and i like a good dry attack

D. Slam
08-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I get what you're saying D. And I have know doubt that functionwise the Axis' are at the top.

Concerning you're second paragraph, I'm probably misunderstanding, but you know that money can be a problem to a lot of people... Axis costs your balls dude!

Yes, CJ, but in my opinion, they're also THAT much better! I look at it this way. If I can spend $1,500 - two grand on a drumset, (not including cymbals, pedals and most of the hardware) what's another $450.00? to have the absolute BEST kick pedal?!

D.

D. Slam
08-15-2005, 12:55 PM
me either.....their rock solid fast....but im starting to wonder about the sonic beaters.... more a sound thing than a feel thing....they feel fine....its jus the sound they produce is too "boomy"...and i like a good dry attack

Yes, ICM, that is another issue I had with the Sonic Beaters. The felt wasn't solid enough and didn't give me the attack I like. My pedals did come with cork stick ons though, but I never used them. Because they're so darned heavy, I wound up just changing beaters like Peter suggested. I'm going to try lighter springs sometime in the near future.

D.

IronCobraMan
08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
i put the cork ones on....and still.....the sound is too boomy...cuz a greater surface area is being hit with the sonic hammers....so u get more boom and less attack.....im thinking of buying iron cobra wooden beaters for the axis...that would LOOK and SOUND great on my grained maple sonor kit

D. Slam
08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
i put the cork ones on....and still.....the sound is too boomy...cuz a greater surface area is being hit with the sonic hammers....so u get more boom and less attack.....im thinking of buying iron cobra wooden beaters for the axis...that would LOOK and SOUND great on my grained maple sonor kit

Yup! those'll give you the attack you need!

peter
08-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I use the quads on them and love them.

C.J.
08-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Good point D. But that's IF you've got that $1,500 for the kit... I get what your saying.

Cheers,
Me.

DD_Timekeeper
08-16-2005, 05:11 AM
ICM, Why not DW SM105?

http://www.americanmusical.com/images--i-DRU-SM105--t-b--brand-73.html

roxz
08-16-2005, 06:46 AM
ICM, Why not DW SM105?

http://www.americanmusical.com/images--i-DRU-SM105--t-b--brand-73.html

Aren't these too flat like the sonics?

C.J.
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
You're just rascist agaist kickdrum beaters you bad bad man!

cjcdrums
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I really like the IC beaters. I even switched out my Giant Step beaters for IC beaters. I think they sound a lot better.

Which reminds me- in Thomas Langs DVD, he switched out his Giant Step beaters for DW (I think) beaters. I guess he didn't care for the sound of the Giant Step beaters either.

Images&Words
08-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Why does everyone seem to think the Sonic Hammers are heavy? They feel lighter to me than iron cobra, gibraltar and pearl beaters when put on this pedal. The sonic hammers are the perfect beater for the Axis Pedals!

rkettner
08-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Congrats man... those are some awesome pedals.

Blast_Duck
09-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Im not having the highest time with my Axis A's, im thinkin i should have gone longboard. Watch the adjustments ICM, those allen key screws on the pedals can destroy alen keys with too many tight turns. They are very responsive tho:-)

DD_Timekeeper
09-07-2005, 03:26 PM
So ICM, tell us how's going with your new pedals!! :)

roxz
09-13-2005, 01:22 PM
He returned 'm for elims fellow....:(