PDA

View Full Version : how do u get used to rimshot using traditional grip?

timthedrummer
10-19-2003, 11:09 PM
i can play traditional grip for jazz and light playing but not for harder, powerful styles... how do u get that nice rimshot happening?
of course u have to just practice, but how long does it take to develop?
thanks

Lucius
10-20-2003, 04:26 AM
I feel it just takes about 10 or more mins a day for a week just playing back beat orientated music, i find that has helped my rimshot with trad playing, just a matter repetition, mainly through beats, of course you could sit there and do it on just snare, and irritate everyone thats listening heh, but why if you can get the same result through playing a beat, thats just my approach.

alencore
10-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Powerful styles? you mean like heavy metal or alternative grunge or pesky punk rocks, oh my. Plzzz don't. hehe, just kidding.

You just have to convert. I mean, use nothing but TG on all your playing time and practice time. Also you need to get a good amount of tilt on your snare in order to hit rimshots more naturally using tg.

quitou
10-20-2003, 08:41 AM
What Alencore said about tilting the snare just reminded me something weckl said in a clinic....he asked us how many people play matched, how many traditional, and how many play both??? He said it matters which one you play beacuse it affects the set up of your drum set....if you play matched, everything is more linear (like a straight line)....if you play traditional grip, everything kinda slopes being a little higher on the left and lower on the right (this included the tilt on the snare, the angle the toms are set at, etc.)....he said you should play both to a minimum because if you set up your kit in s straight linear fashion, it's hard to play it using traditional grip and you have put you body into awkward positions to do so...if you set up your kit with the slight tilt to it, it will be easier to play traditional on it, but harder to play matched on it, and as with before, you'll have to put your body into weird positions to pull it off....

what do you guys think about weckls advice....I guess it's generally that you should play both to a minimum unless you change your kit set up...

timthedrummer
10-23-2003, 02:26 AM
thats good stuff quitou
and thanks guys thats really helpful
i will woodshed now hehe

alencore
10-23-2003, 07:41 AM
that's as good as it gets in terms of explaining the whole drum set using both grips. tnx quito.

no wonder Terry Bozzio since he is exclusive on match grip has a very balanced set up looking at it in front or behind while Virg seems to have more higher things on his left as what i saw him use on his clinic here.

timthedrummer
10-23-2003, 11:35 PM
im gonna have to raise my snare up high as well hey (so my left stick doesnt hit my leg all the time)

jonberg
10-29-2003, 03:52 AM
Just doing it over and over again til you find it happening. It can take years, Iīm still working on it,
but I feel much more confident in it than 2-3years ago. Try different angles on your snaredrum, thatīs REALLY
important. With the wrong angle, you will never get a nice rimshot or feeling.

alencore
10-29-2003, 11:39 AM
of course once you are using TG you just can't help it as if you're steve gadd or dave weckl or whoever plays on tg a lot, hmmm...like VD.

timthedrummer
10-30-2003, 08:27 PM
true that
thats part of why im switching
:D

tradfreak
11-19-2003, 04:18 PM
i switched to trad because i find it (personally) easier to play my left hand to the Hi-hats (while for example doing 16ths of both hands on it)....

also maybe the fact that i set up my Hi-hats to the height of my chest...