PDA

View Full Version : Power Drumming

Lucius
10-17-2003, 02:56 AM
G'day,
As funny as this may sound, i dont own power drumming, and the question i am going to ask is even more stupid buuuutt, whats power drumming like and is it worth my while getting? I know its a dumb question but i just want to hear some opinions and have some reassurance, and if people have got results from it? Thanks :D

kirk
10-17-2003, 06:36 AM
Let's just say thay even by today's standards Power drumming is amazing. It was recorded in 1991. Man 12 years ago is almost hard to believe and Virg DEFINITELY broke much new ground with that video. He was employing techniques(in the solo section) that were revolutionaryfor sure. Lot's to learn from the video, focusing, on speed, power, precision and control, endurance, and creativity and developing each limb in this way, then putting it all together in the end. And some killer soloing at the end for sure. Without exact detail I would recommend the video. Think how much better he is NOW from then. SCARY!!

Kirk

jimi
10-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Get it @drumtek!
Excellent Vid for sure!

Milo Porto
10-17-2003, 01:29 PM
POWER DRUMMING pretty much shows you what it takes to have virgil's power on drums..plus he plays a few tracks from his earlier band "Loose Change" in the video...its very informative and a must buy! :D no questions asked...GO GET IT MAN! :D

Lucius
10-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys :D
Sounds like a definate buy then, but, there are no stores that have it :mad: i will have to order it then, which means i have to wait for weeks to get it :( not to worry, but thanks for your thoughts on the subject!

kirk
10-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Very good statements guy's. I agree very much. But Quitou in bringing up Neil Peart reiterates a point that to me is essential.
I have listened to Neil for 24 years. He was a huge influence on me in the rock realm years ago. But there was always a very unfounded thought that he WAS THE BEST and no one was close. Those statements were always made by many. It was not he is my favorite, it was he is the most skilled drummer(comments floated by hordes of drummers) but at the same time Vinnie, Dave, Terry, Billy, Tony, Simon, Steve G., on and on there were guy's far more innovative and skilled but overlooked and unknown
by the masses.

It is great for some drummer to be a favorite to another but we have to have a well founded understanding of one's true and factual contributions to the art of drumming no more and no less. It is not about one style is better or worse or someone is less or more advanced or rock is better than jazz etc., but what did they really bring to the table and the real impact they had creatively and technically and musically. And yes whether Rudd or Ringo they all gave something to varying degrees.

For me it has always burnt me to hear the same rehashing with Portnoy(ala Neil P.), nothing against him(Mike) at all but frustration with those that build one up beyond where they actually were and are(not you guy's at all). There are many guy' s unknown to many that deserve HUGE praise whether jazz or fusion or latin drummers etc. Again Milo and Quitou, Jon, everyone made GREAT points that are right on. I am just pointing out what I am trying to get across, but yet understanding the well founded statements you all made. And yes Quitou go Canada. Paul Brochu(Canadian) kicks Butt! how many really know about him? He deserves way more praise.

Kirk

quitou
10-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I guess the same can be said for Rick Gratton...although I guess he's s bit more weel known than Paul

quitou
10-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Although, I tend to disagree that Peart's parts were rehashed....Peart always took the time to learn new stuff from other drummers and if you listen to enough RUSH, you'll find that he always has some little variations and adds some variety to his playing....This is actually why I am a bigger Peart fan than Portnoy fan...peart took the time to learn other styles and to reinvent himself...

kirk
10-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Should of put my last post in the right place "the test that stumped them" and I do agree with you Quitou whole heartedly about Peart he really tried to adapt to new influences and was open to change and you heard that come out strong at times, more than Portnoy. I also enjoyed his playing more than Mike's.

Kirk

quitou
10-17-2003, 06:52 PM
And Kirk,
I agree with you most definitely that there are tons of drummers out there who deserve way more credit than they get...there some absolutely amazing drummers who are relatively unknown outside of their own little circle...it's unfortunate that it's how things are but making it in music is as much a case of being in the right place at the right time and catching a break as it is about just getting really good...but I guess there are so many different ways to measure success...for some people it's in terms of recognition and how well known they are...others are incredibly successful at what they do but just in a smaller scale...I can think of a handful of local drummers here in Calgary who are pretty great players (mostly jazz and jazz fusion kinda players) and do very well for themselves and are kinda local celebrities in the music scene...but outside of here, nobody knows of them...

timthedrummer
10-17-2003, 11:42 PM
BACK TO POWER DRUMMING
lucius u can buy it from billy hydes in surry hills or drum city... i saw it in there not long ago
anyways the video is amazing, virgil plays sum insane stuff, i mean to be honest i prefer watching him back then just cuz its very approachable kinda material- u can actually understand wat he's doing!! but the modern drummer video is the best

Lucius
10-18-2003, 05:26 AM
haha yeh, the thread went from power drumming to neil peart :D but yeh, i practically live in drum city, they dont have it, they have obsessive rhythms, same as hydes, i went there a cupl weeks ago and they didnt have it, but i ordered it, and thanks for your replies and opinions once again guys :D i know it is going to be good, i cant wait to get it, and Tim, when did you get a hold of the modern drummer one and power drumming? I cant seem to find the modern drummer one either, and where abouts in sydney are you from?

DavidPartay
10-19-2003, 05:43 AM
Billy Hydes are great ;).

I went to the sale there a few months back with a mate of mine. He scored a $550 Paiste Innovations ride cymbal (I want to kill him) for $5. I scored a Orion Solo Pro Power Ride cymbal for $5. I also bought the TUDW dvd and Mike Portnoy's Liquid Drum Theatre dvd, and those ritter drum bags.

I'm so cut that he wouldn't let me have that ride cymbal.

Also, I think Billy Hydes will basically order anything you want in...

Lucius
10-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeh they are good, i did work experience there when i was in year 10, i had quite a good time, nice guys, but only one of them knows how to use a price gun haha :D

BrettLee
10-19-2003, 09:09 PM
I've seen the video.. and guys.. Virgil's playing back then (in early 90s) was already thunderous!! Amazing.. I saw the opening solo he did, and was blasted away.. and back then, he was already doing doubles with his feet, as demonstrated in the final section of the video.. and all those stick tricks he did while doubling on his feet, really made me laughed with awe.. simply incredible..
Virgil, u r DA MAN!!!

timthedrummer
10-19-2003, 09:20 PM
davidpartay- and that mate who scored the innovations ride would be scott right?? i was having a drink with him a few weeks ago
lucius - i rung around and got the power drumming video from drum city a year ago
and i got the modern drummer with virgil one from billy hydes a month ago
i just waltz in and see what they have- it does vary and sumtimes it takes ages to order them!!
im from killara (near chatswood) by the way
you?

DavidPartay
10-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Yep! Scott Mitchell, he plays in Angela's Dish. He's a good friend of mine from back in school. Me and him always used to say "you're better" "no, you're better!" and we still think that of each other, heh heh. If he mentions a guy called Donny, that's meee :D. I haven't seen him in a few weeks though. He's a cool bloke! But I'm still mad that I didn't get a nice $550 Paiste ride cymbal like he did ;). You might have seen me hanging around him in the queue for the store to open on the sale day, I'm some short guy with dark hair.

timthedrummer
10-19-2003, 10:48 PM
hehe i see
i have u on my msn list u havent been on for a while...
i would say you're better, after reading all your posts about what u practice and ur level of commitment- he's still good tho, dont tell him i said that lol

DavidPartay
10-20-2003, 01:36 AM
meh, I dunno that I'm better. I personally think I have a LOT to learn, and my speed is still lacking quite a lot - I've hardly seen any development in it yet. Scott's faster than me with his hands at least, and quite possibly with his right foot as well. He was pretty tight last time I saw him play with Angela's Dish but that was in March or April or something...

Me...? Well I recorded a solo this arvo and I've just gotta wait for it to get through the mp3.com.au screening so I can post it on my website

or you can go to http://www.mp3.com.au/changeofpace and download "Treating Me" the only recording that band has with me playing on there. That was at our first gig and well... I was still writing parts for that song at the time.

Lucius
10-20-2003, 04:20 AM
Tim, im from Strathfield, so you have msn? whats you e mail, i would check on your profile, but im way too damn lazy at the moment!

timthedrummer
10-22-2003, 12:47 AM
sorry lucius for not replying sooner
my email is tim311@altavista.com