PDA

View Full Version : The test that stumped them all..!!

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 12:25 AM
i love virgil..but i also grew up with portnoy....i must say that although some of you may dis-agree...portnoy may not be as good as a drummer that you all think compared to virgil...but i must say..that portnoy's groove is strong..even in odd-time...and his ideas...
such as....

3:22 onwards that groove that he created on the song...*the test that stumped them all* on the 6 degrees of inner turbulence album. :D ;)

mauricio
10-14-2003, 03:49 AM
Portnoy has some great ideas - he orchestrates things very creatively at times. Heīs a very influential drummer, no doubt about that. He also loves to play, no question about that too.

But I see no relation between Portnoy and a good groove - correct me if Iīm wrong (Iīm wrong 9 out 10 times), but Portnoy has very little "elasticity" dealing with the passage of time. That is why heīs been called the Neil Peart of the 90īs, in a pejorative way. Thereīs no "give" to his playing, no bounce. And, to me, those two things are necessary to get a serious groove going.

frank
10-14-2003, 05:33 AM
Portnoy is the actual reason I started drumming, so to me he'll always be a hero, but I really think that he's a bit repetitive. He has some really cool ideas and tricks, but he uses them way too often! Also, I don't like his sound anymore... on A Change of Seasons, his drums sound really great, but on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, it sounds way too overprocuced IMHO.. I mean, the drums really jump out the entire record, even if the drums are really not that interesting... it seems like he wants to draw the attention the entire record. I can't really explain what I'm trying to say.. but I think most of you ppl will understand..

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 09:09 AM
:rolleyes: oh well...everybody has their heros!!
dont get me wrong but....portnoy will always be portnoy! *the one who started me on my progressive adventure*
BUT virgil is the one who started me on my overplaying adventure!! LOL! *just kidding* BOTH of them are gods to me! :D

quitou
10-14-2003, 09:11 AM
POrtnoy is definitely a great drummer...I own a few dream theater cd's and his instructional video...he definitely has some serious skills...You have to have skills to play a lot of the music that he does...with that said, however, I wouldn't put him in the class as Virgil...Portnoy is a great drummer, but virgil is an out of this world drummer. But I too am still a Portnoy fan, and have taken a bunch of ideas from him and incorporated them into my playing.

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by quitou
POrtnoy is definitely a great drummer...I own a few dream theater cd's and his instructional video...he definitely has some serious skills...You have to have skills to play a lot of the music that he does...with that said, however, I wouldn't put him in the class as Virgil...Portnoy is a great drummer, but virgil is an out of this world drummer. But I too am still a Portnoy fan, and have taken a bunch of ideas from him and incorporated them into my playing.

thats the way to go quito!! :D :D

STAVROPOULOS
10-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Hello guys!
well,i have to say that i think mike portnoy is a great drummer,of course not like weckl,virgil or some others,but i think that every drummer has a unique style and that might has caused frank say that mike is repetitive.but i think it is because of his personal style that like for almost every drummer makes someone say:''Hey,that's portnoy''for instance.terry bozzio has also admited that his drumming is still the same.Many of you my friends will get angry,but i think that mike's drumming is more lively than virgil's.
see you around folks!

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by STAVROPOULOS
Hello guys!
well,i have to say that i think mike portnoy is a great drummer,of course not like weckl,virgil or some others,but i think that every drummer has a unique style and that might has caused frank say that mike is repetitive.but i think it is because of his personal style that like for almost every drummer makes someone say:''Hey,that's portnoy''for instance.terry bozzio has also admited that his drumming is still the same.Many of you my friends will get angry,but i think that mike's drumming is more lively than virgil's.
see you around folks!

:D im not angry!!:D
laterz...!!
:D

DavidPartay
10-16-2003, 05:27 PM
I enjoy Portnoy's playing, but it sometimes seems really too mechanical... Like in Metropolis on Images and Words, the snaredrum seems to be too overpowering. He's very tight though.

kirk
10-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Portnoy is good and Virgil is Genius nuff said!

Kirk

BrettLee
10-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Portnoy definitely had a huge influence during my first 2 drumming years.. I've had not listen to anything like his style of drumming before, I analyzed and studied his drumming technique for a while, and absorbed quite alot.. I knew that Neil Peart was his drumming hero, and being curious about his skills, I started diggin RUSH's music.. Boy, was I blown away tremendously by Neil Peart.. he's got explosive drum licks and I really like his aggressive drumming style he has.. which is also very evident in Portnoy's playing... I dugged Neil Peart alot after that...

Portnoy is an excellent drummer. No doubt about it. But it's only in the rock/prog rock context.. I remembered when he was down here to do a drum clinic, he admitted that he's only a rock player and can't really flex much in other styles of music.. But then again, he's still one of the great drummer of our time.. :D

Milo Porto
10-16-2003, 09:33 PM
UP! portnoy! :D

Milo Porto
10-17-2003, 12:07 AM
i guess anybody who is into virgil's stuff..would be into portnoy as well!! *i could be wrong* :( but portnoy is a (i want to play progressive metal, and im gonna start be listening to Portnoy kinda guy) :D and once they have mastered portnoy they discover virgil...and *poof* its like magic..you are in one realm into another! :D
hope i make sence! ;)

timthedrummer
10-17-2003, 12:31 AM
portnoy is good, i remember waiting for his dvd for like 2 years but when i got it i was like- im so over this...
whereas virgil's power drumming (1991)!! is like WOAH!!
portnoy is tight, can handle time signatures but is nowhere even near the realm of virgil

Milo Porto
10-17-2003, 01:23 AM
...this is virgil...he would do 7/8 on the bass and snare 5/8 on the hi-hat with his feet, do a 4/4 on the remote hi-hat or the ride bell....and there will be tons of counter-points happening there...its madness!! :D

alencore
10-17-2003, 03:23 AM
Virgil on Dream THEATER SOON...who knows?

STAVROPOULOS
10-17-2003, 04:52 AM
hey alencore,relax,haha!dream theater IS portnoy!
hey,is it worth your cs map?i only like militia!
see you!

kirk
10-17-2003, 07:28 AM
I honestly do not see a progression from Portnoy(good) to Virgil(From another Planet,no pun intended) 2 totally different drummers. Portnoy comes from the Peart lineage. And Virgil comes from a fusion lineage with a revolutionary, innovative upgrade in mechanics and technique and creativity with a whole other dose of power than fusion is use to. That is why modern drummer was right when they said he is pushing the boundaries of drumming farther ahead in a physical and creative manner. Hence the KING of progressive and fusion drumming a direct quote from the last Modern Drummer magazine article on Virgil.
Virgil just happens to kick behind in many other styles also. I would bring up many other drummers as being important to drumming way before Portnoy, though he is good.
Kirk

jonberg
10-17-2003, 08:32 AM
I agree with that Portnoy isnīt on the same level as Virgil, but that being said, it doesnīt mean that he hasnīt done much for the drumming community, cause he has done that indeed.
Portnoy is good, but Virgil is way beyond that!

kirk
10-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Portnoy has been important to the drumming community. Quite a few others that should be praised even more, at times do not get enough of the praise. But that is just my opinion.

Kirk

Milo Porto
10-17-2003, 02:45 PM
lets just say that they are masters in their own right!! in one way or another made an impact in people's lives with their drumming...you dont have to play like virg to create an impact....look at the late john bonham, or even the great phill rudd..the masters of meat and potatos 2's and 4's ......i think you can just lay a solid groove be simple and be great a master in your own right..you juat have to find your own style and develop it into your own ...such as what virgil is doing...:D

quitou
10-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Well said Milo,
Just because somone doesn't have the skills that Virgil does (in fact, very few people ever have), doesn't mean you can't enjoy their playing and learn things from them....and it also doesn't mean that these people can't contribute to drumming either...

One of my all time favorite drummers is Neil Peart (go canada go!!!) and I'll be the first to admit he is nowhere near Virgil in terms of playing ability (although Peart is still a phenomenal player)...but both have contributed immensely to drumming and both play the drums exceptionally well with their respective bands...

I think that you can learn something from everybody and that you should listen to a lot of different players...because each player brings a little something different to the table...it's all about learning as much as you possibly can (if you are motivated to do so) and your chances of doing this increase if you listen to a wide array of drummers and musical styles...

Well my hands are tired of typing so I'll stop now...

Milo Porto
10-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by quitou
Well said Milo,
Just because somone doesn't have the skills that Virgil does (in fact, very few people ever have), doesn't mean you can't enjoy their playing and learn things from them....and it also doesn't mean that these people can't contribute to drumming either...

One of my all time favorite drummers is Neil Peart (go canada go!!!) and I'll be the first to admit he is nowhere near Virgil in terms of playing ability (although Peart is still a phenomenal player)...but both have contributed immensely to drumming and both play the drums exceptionally well with their respective bands...

I think that you can learn something from everybody and that you should listen to a lot of different players...because each player brings a little something different to the table...it's all about learning as much as you possibly can (if you are motivated to do so) and your chances of doing this increase if you listen to a wide array of drummers and musical styles...
Well my hands are tired of typing so I'll stop now...

UP! :D

morgenthaler
10-20-2003, 07:53 AM
Exactly....... You can enjoy a Ford, but it just IS more fun in a Ferrari.....

Milo Porto
10-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by morgenthaler
Exactly....... You can enjoy a Ford, but it just IS more fun in a Ferrari.....

okaaaaay! what ever that means??:rolleyes:

frank
10-20-2003, 05:44 PM
What exactly is more fun to do in a Ferrari? ;)

Hip Alien
10-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Mike Portnoy is a very good drummer. He's a very creative and tasty drummer a lot like PEART and BARLOW(my personal prog fave) or EHART. He's obviously very popular because of his band. When he gets into a project, it's 100% and nothing less. His new 'LED ZEPPELIN' project will be playing the 'Montreal Drumfest' on November 8th. He got 'TAMA' to make him a transparent 5 piece drum kit(like Bonham) with a tympani on the right side. Should be a good show...

www.montrealdrumfest.com (Check it out dudes)

Milo Porto
10-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Hip Alien
Mike Portnoy is a very good drummer. He's a very creative and tasty drummer a lot like PEART and BARLOW(my personal prog fave) or EHART. He's obviously very popular because of his band. When he gets into a project, it's 100% and nothing less. His new 'LED ZEPPELIN' project will be playing the 'Montreal Drumfest' on November 8th. He got 'TAMA' to make him a transparent 5 piece drum kit(like Bonham) with a tympani on the right side. Should be a good show...

www.montrealdrumfest.com (Check it out dudes)

i know HIp alien...i cant be there though...enjoy..portnoy and the rest...while i enjoy steve smith here!!:D

but somehow i would rather be in your shoe this time...!!:rolleyes:

BrettLee
10-21-2003, 03:13 AM
Speaking of Ehart.. he rawkss too! Saw his drumming in Kansas' latest DVD.. incredible groove, solid time keeping.. and spot-on
punctuations...Sadly, he's very underated... I'm sure Portnoy stole some licks from him...

Milo Porto
10-21-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by BrettLee
Speaking of Ehart.. he rawkss too! Saw his drumming in Kansas' latest DVD.. incredible groove, solid time keeping.. and spot-on
punctuations...Sadly, he's very underated... I'm sure Portnoy stole some licks from him...

Brett....every musician is a thief..somehow, one way or another!
it izznt a bad thing! its just the way it is..and has been...and always will be......you tap each other for new techniques and ideas and make it our own! :D

morgenthaler
10-21-2003, 07:48 AM
What I meant was that Portnoy (american, like Ford) is a good drummer, but Virgil (Italian, like Ferrari) is more interesting on all levels of drumming.

bootdogs
10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Thats a good comparison morgenthaler. Mainly because it's so true! :)

Hip Alien
10-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Milo Porto
i know HIp alien...i cant be there though...enjoy..portnoy and the rest...while i enjoy steve smith here!!:D

Yeah, it should be a great Fest...especially can't wait to see 'JOJO MAYER' and 'Gary Novak', 2 more extremely underrated, top drummers of our world.

but somehow i would rather be in your shoe this time...!!:rolleyes:

Milo Porto
10-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Hip Alien

i on the other hand would like to fly over catch portnoy..then come back here to catch...steveie! :D

D.W.A.
08-06-2004, 06:46 AM
the bottom line............portnoy should be in metallica.............and virg, jump in dream theater.......talk about some upgrades.

MaltBuddow3
08-06-2004, 08:20 AM
no, Les Claypool should be in Metallica, that would be hilarious!!!!

GreenPremier
08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
How old is Virgil? Wasn't he something like early twenties in Power Drumming? I would guess mid thirties but man I just don't know.

mauricio
08-06-2004, 06:17 PM
44 or 43.
My message is too short to be submitted, so I have to fill in with these meaningless lines.

Kinetic drummer
08-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I know you all guys,
doesnt care for drummers personal stuff.
in life, you have different approaches, you know virgil is a drumsick guy. he practiced 8 hours per day sometimes 12.
believe me, when i have to practice for 6 hours, work teaching and playing in bars, you haveno personal life. you start to focus just un drums and drums.

virgil i think is a more concentrated musician. he does what he does and thats it... to the point its hard to see him to smile. i īve seen him, but not too much. i think he seek other things in life maybe, anyway, heīs life is just drums. he practice all times, after a show.. imagine that!!!! at his age with his achievements!!!!

in the other hand. portnoy looks more like the classic american guy. heīs completely different, and you can see that in the stage. the way he speaks. and he say he rather prefer to be with his family than playing. for him, drumming is in another quadrant i guess. but... i think, nothing compares to a family, even if yourenot the best of the world. who cares if you are the best of the world, at some point, youll be feeling like shallow.

maybe you have to make a balance in your life...just to be happy.
and what i wanna say is that, you can see thomas lang as ahappy person...yep hes got a wife and waiting for a daughter. anyway..

do you know, if virgilīs married? kids? besides drums. who is virgil?

D.W.A.
08-07-2004, 03:36 PM
:rolleyes: oh well...everybody has their heros!!
dont get me wrong but....portnoy will always be portnoy! *the one who started me on my progressive adventure*
BUT virgil is the one who started me on my overplaying adventure!! LOL! *just kidding* BOTH of them are gods to me! :D
overplaying?.............wouldnt that be portnoy? honestly