PDA

View Full Version : Mangini Web Page

quitou
10-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Just figured I'd let you all know that Mike Mangini's new page is finally up and running:

http://www.mikemangini.com/MMmm/index.htm

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet...I think I'll do that right now.

quitou
10-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Checked out the web page...it's not bad...a lot of the links don't work though...especially the multimedia ones...oh well

peter
10-09-2003, 06:42 PM
What is that Intro music from?
Do you know, Quitou? Anyone?

quitou
10-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Not sure Peter...sorry, I'd like to know that myself...anybody out there know???

Milo Porto
10-09-2003, 10:13 PM
i cant get in...is it under consdtruction again..or izzit me!:(

Me.2
10-09-2003, 10:58 PM
I HATE slow loading sites! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wish Mikes books came with CD's and not Tapes, I dont understand why he did that or, at least offered both formats.

peter
10-10-2003, 06:16 AM
You are right about slow
moving site, Me.2. The Intro
is the thing. I'll try it again.

Me.2
10-10-2003, 07:21 AM
You know peter, Virgil even has the FASTEST loading site, No joke.
This site gives access "for me",.... instantly. Its probably one of the nicest looking sites from a Pro player too.

Kudos to Christopher and Virg for making it what it is. *Thumbs up!*

peter
10-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Oh, yeah!

I'm going to make me
an OTV cap and shirt!

He is the inspiration!

Christopher helps too!

:)

bootdogs
10-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Christopher is maybe one of the best webmasters and people around in the Drumming circle. He's full of suprises. The guy can even play pretty damn good on the kit as well.

I met him back in 2000 at the Montreal Drum Fest when I came down from Toronto to meet him and Planet X. He was so nice and even stayed around and chatted with me for a bit....even if he didn't know WHO I was. Derek showed up out of nowhere looking for him and right then and there, he introduced me to Derek!! I was totally starstruck at that moment, thats for sure. I later met Virgil during the autograph session which was amazing also!

Christopher told me real quick that he has a surprise coming up for all of us. This message board was one of them but he has something really really cool that he will be unveiling. In the meantime all we can do is chat on this board that everyone is on!

Right on Virgil and Christopher! You guys are the best!!!!! :D

quitou
10-10-2003, 11:44 AM
I just checked out Mangini's page again today...works well for me...it's not too slow or anything...actually, it works about as quickly as I've seen a web page function...a lot more of the links are working now as well...I think it'll probably take a while to iron out all the wrinkles

peter
10-10-2003, 11:52 AM
It's the Intro, I think. You can just
skip it if you want. Slow connections
are going to have trouble with that.

peter
10-10-2003, 11:56 AM
It's not the Intro. You can skip
through that.

Me.2 has a point there. Even
when you have a high speed
connection, when click on the
menu, the pulldowns drag. It's
not horrible but it's not swift.
With those hands, you'd think
it'd be faster. ;)

quitou
10-11-2003, 12:04 PM
There's a new video clip of a solo from 1997 on Mangini's page...of all the clips I've seen of him soloing, this is the one I enjoyed the most...check it out if you get a chance!!! Crazy chops everywhere and lots of polyrythms and soloing over ostinatos...I liked it!!!

rcmedia
10-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi,

This is Mike's webmaster here.

Just thought I'd post some stuff in response to the threads in this forum regarding the recently re-opened MikeMangini.com.

First of all, our sincere apologies for taking so long to get the site back up and running...it's a huge project that is very time intensive and myself and Brian (my helper guy) are very busy with other projects these days. We actually have another, newer faster loading version of this site in production and had hoped to have it up over the summer but busy schedules made that impossible. So we decided it would be better to just modify/update the old site and put it back up there for now until we can finish the new one (*hopefully by Christmas or early new year). I realize the intro is slow loading on dail-up connections... it's aprox. 500kb... I felt it needed to be that length to accomodate enough of the song clip for full impact. Any reduction in file size would mean reduced audio quailty which would not be a good thing and hard on the ears!
I would like anyone who is experiencing specific performance issues with the site to e-mail me directly with the specifics so I can work the bugs out. I personally do not experience performance problems on the site but since it's a fully integrated Flash site with media it's possible some systems may experience glitches etc. Please let me know!
Some of the links in the audio section need to be fixed but all 3 videos (all new) have performed remarkably well for us in testing etc. and perform reliably every time i test from the site directly.
The videos need to be RealPlayer files becuase of it's ability to compress large files and allow quick streaming of large files even over a dial-up connection. If i had made these videos in say, MPEG-1 format each video would be around 250mb! You would need a huge ammount of server space to accomodate that.
I'm trying to balance quality, speed and file size when i make these media files. RealPlayer files are also hard to pirate/copy etc. so it's a good choice for artists.

I also added 4 new photo galleries to check out and updated news section regarding Mike's performance at this years Montreal Drum Festival. As soon as Mike gets us kit samples will will be adding a 'Virtual Kit' to his GEAR section as well. Again, please be patient with us and hopefully we can pull it together by the new year.

Thanks!
Rob

peter
10-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Rob,

Where does that Intro come from?

Look forward to Mike's webpage and
thanks for your reply!:)

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 12:39 PM
oh alright! :( looks like i have to wait...!!

er...i cant view the videos...izzit possible that you could include WMV in your video sections...thanxx!! :D

rcmedia
10-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi again,

I fogot to mention that the musci clip in the intro is from the Tribe of Judah CD 'EXIT ELVIS' ..it's a song called 'Thanks For Nothing'.

rcmedia
10-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Go to www.real.com and find the link for their free player...it's kinda hidden sometimes (*because they want you to pay for their premium servce, which you don't need to view these videos).
The player should install and work reliably on even older/slower computers. We did not use .WMV format because of it's large file sizes (*i know it compresses files a lot...just not as much as RealPlayer does..and Realplayer has the same general quality at much smaller file sizes).

Thanks again,

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 12:54 PM
thanx!! :D

quitou
10-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Hey Rob (rcmedia),
On mike's page I saw that there is a rhythm knowledge instructional video coming out...any juicy gossip with regard to that???

peter
10-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Rob,

Is that Mike on the cut and album?

rcmedia
10-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Hi,

Yes that is Mike playing in the intro clip song.
He played on every track on the Tribe of Judah CD.
He does some of these songs in his clinics too.

peter
10-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Rob. I just bought it. :)

rcmedia
10-15-2003, 02:05 PM
I haven't heard anything in a while regarding Mike's instructional video actually. Last I heard all the footage was shot and it was in editing mode. I'll ask Mike for an update on that when I see him at the Montreal Drum Festival.

rcmedia
10-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Just thought I'd share a new Mangini video (*from 1997 clinic actually) with you that I just finished making today.

He does an incredible version of 'Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee' on here that I'm not sure anybody in the world could copy... you have to see it to believe it.

The link is: http://www.mikemangini.com/MMmm/mangini5.ram
*You need RealPlayer to view the clip.

quitou
10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks a bunch Rob,
That was wicked...really cool...Mike is amazing!!! Could you imagine Mike and Virgil playing together at the same time trading licks back and forth...that would probably be the most amzing thing ever!!!

rcmedia
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Actually Mike did do a duel drum clinic with Virgil in Boston in 2001.
A friend of mine was there (*he has photos too) and said it was totally ridiculous!
He said (as predicted) they were doing many of the same ideas such as double stroke kicks, polyrhythms, odd times, one handed rolls, extreme independence and hyper-speed cross-overs.

They did 'duel' each other at this clinic too.

bootdogs
10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Actually yeah rcmedia, I remember Chris putting up those pics of Virgil and then taking them down right away. They were OK pics, some were a bit blurry.

This was around the time when Virgil was sporting the crazy Chainsaw killer look. I remember :)

BrettLee
10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by rcmedia
I haven't heard anything in a while regarding Mike's instructional video actually. Last I heard all the footage was shot and it was in editing mode. I'll ask Mike for an update on that when I see him at the Montreal Drum Festival.

The new clip is wicked! Can't believe this is Mike way back then.. So damn good.. He sure has one of the fastest hands and feet.. Mike is one of the best there is.. :p

peter
10-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Just want to make sure you
guys have seen the latest
Mangini videos.

www.mikemangini.com/MMmm/main_flash2003.htm

timthedrummer
10-24-2003, 10:07 PM
thanks peter

peter
10-25-2003, 01:37 PM
It's nothing, TTD. Mike
has an awesome talent.

Milo Porto
10-25-2003, 01:51 PM
just saw mike's videos man...he is fast.....not forgetting innovative too...!!

BrettLee
10-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Mike... Drum-Gennie? :D He's so cool.. Love his single strokes..Blazing fast and clean!!

Lucius
10-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey Peter, i vaugley remember you metion you had Mikes Rhythm Knowledge, i have come across a copy myself, and i love it, i think its great, but i was just wondering what you think of it? I really value your opinions that i have read on other topics on the msgboard, so i thought ithis would be my first question to you!

peter
10-26-2003, 06:34 PM
I think it's very good, Lucius and
I'm not the only one. Type it into
the SEARCH and see if you can
find some of the previous ment-
ions of it and I'll see if I can get
a moment to talk more about it
in the very near future.

peter
10-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Just got a chance to think
about this. My brother and
his fmaily is in San Diego:

Here is a link I have been
using over the last 48 hours:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/#

There's a lot of information on
it, including satellite photos.

Check on the Slideshow of photos link:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=US&cat=Wildfires_and_Forest_Fires

The fire got within 5 miles of
his home overnight.

:eek:

It has been devastating.

He is safe, however, for now.

As for Mangini's first book on
Rhythm Knowledge, I like the
mental focus and prioritizing
the most.

One thing I would like to ment-
ion and perhaps in line, with
what Mike is talking about is a
phenomenon that I have not-
iced over the last year or so.

It has to do with practicing
very early in the morning, the
first thing, out of bed and in
that period, where you are
still semi-conscious.

What I have found is that I
can learn very difficult tasks,
which are physical, better, IF
I do it at this time of the day.
It has to do with the brain's
apparent ability to record and
organize information, related
to the body and the tasks it's
involved in. It kind of takes
over, knowing that your fac-
ulties are not quite there.

Sounds strange, huh?

It's like you're operating on
automatic. I know it sounds
crazy but I really believe it.

:cool:

quitou
10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Kind of interesting that you mention practicing reallt early in the morning and it being more effective....now, I don't practice that early in the morning usually but I agree that I do most things better early in the morning....I remember when I was in school I would always get up early in the morning to study as opposed to staying up late....I found I got a lot more done and things stayed in my memory longer when I did things that way....myabe I'll have to try practicing earlier in the morning....

peter
10-29-2003, 11:47 AM
What Stevie Vai albums did Mike
play on? Does anyone know?

swedendrummer
10-29-2003, 12:28 PM
he played only 2 songs from fire garden.. track 8 and 9 and he played only a few songs on the ultra zone record.. on sex and religion terry bozzio played the drums really great and its cool to see how mike mangini played the song here and now. Its exactly how bozzio did it!

quitou
10-29-2003, 01:10 PM
hey peter,
c
heck out this link:

http://www.guitar9.com/summmikemangini.html

has a list of a few albums that mangini has played on.

Lucius
10-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Steve Vai
"Alive In An Ultra World"
Damn good album, im a HUGE fan of Vai

peter
10-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I just bought
four of them. :)

Lucius
10-29-2003, 07:01 PM
You wont regret it!

quitou
11-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Hey Guys,
Just letting you know there's a bunch of new video clips at Mangini's page....I haven't looked at them yet, but I think I will right now...

Lucius
11-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Thanks man! :D

rcmedia
11-24-2003, 11:17 AM
I just spoke with Mike again and he says to tell everyone that there will be a ton of new stuff on his site next month sometime (I'll let everybody know exactly when in a week or 2).
This will include video clips from his forthcoming Rhythm Knowledge 'movie' as he likes to calls it.

We are also exploring the possiblity of live web cams/video clips etc. from the recording of the new Annihilator CD and other mics. projects.

A Mangini message board will also be going up in the next week (*provided I can configure his server to accept/run PHP... otherwise i'll just move it to one of my servers).

Cheers,
Rob.C

quitou
11-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks Rob, should look pretty cool once it's all up!!!