PDA

View Full Version : Ron Spagnardi RIP

morgenthaler
10-03-2003, 08:29 AM
I was sad to hear the news that Modern Drummer founder Ron Spagnardi has died. Truly a loss for the drumming community worldwide.

peter
10-03-2003, 08:36 AM
I did know about that, MT and you're
absolutely right. He really contributed.

RIP, Ron. :(

alencore
10-03-2003, 09:51 AM
oh man i love that mag.
i'm sure he'll be miss widely amongst us drummers.

Milo Porto
10-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by morgenthaler
I was sad to hear the news that Modern Drummer founder Ron Spagnardi has died. Truly a loss for the drumming community worldwide.

:( :( my condolences! my my..! he will be missed by everyone in the drumming community! both pro and amature...as without him that will not be a modern drummer magazine

RON SPAGNARDI
April 25th 1943 - September 22 2003

Ron Spagnardi was a drummer with a dream… a dream of bringing drummers together, to share their passion for percussion, to live a life of music, and to learn about drums and drumming as friends and family. Modern Drummer magazine was the start – and the heart – of that dream. He – with the support of his family, friends and dedicated staff – made that magazine the percussion bible for players around the world.

A quiet, unassuming man who shunned the spotlight, Ron enjoyed sharing a joke and a story with his many friends. At the Modern Drummer Festival he would be backstage, clipboard under his arm, chatting and laughing with the performers as they prepared for their moment in the spotlight. He was a genial host who had time for everyone. And when it was his turn to step on stage to receive an award or make a presentation, a standing ovation was the norm. He would smile, offer a quick wave and then move things along. This man, who so few ever met face-to-face was someone every drummer felt they knew. He was like a big brother… someone who offered guidance through his editorials and publications. He was the one who introduced us to so many drummers, made us aware of so much about drumming, and who brought us all together so we could share our passion for percussion, live a life of music, and learn about drums and drumming as friends and family.

Twenty-seven years ago Ron Spagnardi had an idea for a drum magazine. Modern Drummer was that dream. Where, oh where would drumming be without Ron Spagnardi?

We miss you Ron.

To the Spagnardi family and Ron’s colleagues at Modern Drummer we express our deep sympathy for the loss of someone who played such an integral role in shaping the world of drumming.

alencore
10-04-2003, 06:14 AM
wow...tnx for sharing that.