PDA

View Full Version : Danny Carey?

43%dillinger
04-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Ive read a lot of threads. Ive been through the soap operatic (if it sounds cool, dont worry about if its a real word or not) nevesis battle scene to the girlfriend problems. Ive also seen many drummers being praised and bashed (mike portnoy to be more specific). But ive yet to see more than a mention of my hero and first influence, Danny Carey of Tool. Now, is this because you guys aren't fans? Maybe that drummerworld video they showed of him playing the worst beat of his drumming career threw you off? Well, im here to tell you that Danny Carey's sweet!

The way he approaches odd time, not finding the need to compare it to 4/4 and alter a few note values, is brilliant. The song "The patient" demonstrates this.
The way he uses the double bass, although not technically godlike, puts a certain amount of skill to the best/most creative of its ability. The end of the song "Schism" demonstrates that quality.
That simple concept beat in the song "eulogy" 6:34 seconds in....i mean....c'mon! A simple 3 pattern on the hi hat on top of your every day rock beat! And in the song "Lateralus" in the middle where it gets all quiet with the bass. Danny Carey thinks "hmm...i can make 5/8 sound sweet right hur" and BAM! Bass and guitar going steady with maynards beautiful voice all backed up by the odd-genius of Danny's 5/8.

All these add up to the one thing that have us all choose a favorite drummer......ssstyle! He's nowhere near the best that is TRUE, mes amis. but lordy, the way his beats just seem to fit so perfectly into each part , the way his drums just sound so right all the time! Give him a chance, fellow rhythm keepers. Appreciate his musicality more than technicality. The album "Lateralus" by Tool features his best stuff. Go! Discover! Love!

-julien

paiste2002
04-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Danny is the drummer that puts it all together.

He can play as hard as Lombardo,has independance like Horacio,has feel like
Steve Smith, speed like Haake and polyrythms up his sleeve that Virg could
learn from. Some times say, Peter Erskine and Dave Weckl sound similar
or Virg and Lang sometimes sound similar but I never heard anybody say
"Gee that guy sound's like Danny Carey"

I do not claim Danny is the best or anything like that but if you have not
listened to some Tool records then you are missing out.

Some drummers are very strong in a few areas. I like Virg for the power drumming stuff and co-ordination but he plays very straight and has a "stiff"
feel to his playing. Danny is strong in all areas, not the best in all
but he can play metal,be-bop,jazz,rock,ethnic... all very well
Only drummer I know who plays "swing metal".

C.J.
04-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Then listen to Mike Terrana. :)

paiste2002
04-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Have done, no swing :(

dcdrmwthme
04-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Danny Carey, in my opinion, is one of the greatest drummers out there.

Danny is similiar to guys like Colaiuta and Tony Williams in the sense that sometimes he does things so far out there that people just dont get it, and until they understand the complexity of what he did, it sounds like hes not doing anything all that difficult.

I also know for a fact that many of todays top players and teachers give him praise as one of the greatest drummers around, even though most of them dont agree with his religious beliefs.

Flam
04-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah Danny is amazing, very underrated player, he and Virg are very good friends and both speak very highly of each other, total pros!

GreenPremier
04-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Definitely one of my favorite players. Much more tasteful and musically inclined that most. And just downright solid and creative as hell. I love the solo section in "46 & 2" that is a beastly solo, worthy of worship.

Andrew Dennison
04-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I think we are forgetting something when we say Danny Carrey isn't the best at any one thing. What about on of the most important traits of all? Creativity! No one is able to connect their drums with the music and I believe he is able to get his drums to make the sounds he wants better than anyone on earth.

cjcdrums
04-09-2005, 11:44 AM
He was one of my biggest influences as well. That part in Eulogy where he plays that hi-hat ostinato in three over some 4/4 rock grooves is awesome. Since hearing that, I've learned how to do it myself. It's very tricky if you've had only limited practice with polyrythmics.

I adore Danny Carey's playing. His jungle grooves on the toms are the best I've ever heard. His feel is magnificent. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who agree.

Genista96
04-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Without a doubt in mind danny has probably one of the coolest approaches to his music. His vast studies have led him to create a positioning ritual, which varies with a geographical location, time of year, and which way the stage faces. Too complex for me to explain, but his tech uses a compass, a GPS, and a special braided rope which Danny acquired from some esoteric society (with the small help of experimentation in hallucinegens, lol). Plus a lot of the more complex Tool songs evolved out of just Danny’s drum ideas.

peterad
04-09-2005, 03:15 PM
You mentioned that alot of top players and teachers like Danny, well I met Gadd up in Boston a while back, and he said Carey one of the top drummers!

Whos gonna argue with Gadd?

Genista96
04-09-2005, 05:17 PM
wow mr. gadd himself said that?! that's pretty f***ing impressive!

MrFizzyCola
04-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Danny Carey, in my mind, is one of the greatest.
If its not for his innovation (the metal drum kit), then its his awesome feel when he plays. I have listened around and hae really heard no one that sounds like him. It just sounds so tribal and awesome, and thats something which is neglected alot in todays music. And DAMN do his toms sound rad! He is definately my biggest influence.

Rock on Danny!

C.J.
04-10-2005, 03:42 AM
I agree with all of you here: Danney Carey is a great drummer, and totally underrated for sure.

Oh and Paistedude, I can't agree with you when you say Terrana has no swing, he is one of the few "metal" drummer who can groove as hard as a funk drummer... Put is this way: I can't agree with you, but I can understand you don't like what he does eh?

stratman
04-10-2005, 03:57 AM
dude Danny Carrey OWNS!!! He's soooo tight!!!!Listen to the song Ticks and Leetches.IT's amazing!!!!!!!! His beat makes the song. Thats just one example.He's Godly.He has like amazing creativity.

Matthias
04-10-2005, 07:49 AM
He can play as hard as Lombardo,has independance like Horacio,has feel like
Steve Smith, speed like Haake and polyrythms up his sleeve that Virg could
learn from. Some times say, Peter Erskine and Dave Weckl sound similar
or Virg and Lang sometimes sound similar but I never heard anybody say
"Gee that guy sound's like Danny Carey"

Virg and Lang don't sound any similar. And if so, then there are quite a few players out there who sound similar to Danny Carey. IMO

C.J.
04-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Whatever he said I think he's main point was that Danny is unique, I'm sure most of us agree on that point don't we? :)

vdreignsuponus1
04-10-2005, 09:18 AM
danny carey..unique? yes, id say so!:)

vdreignsuponus1
04-10-2005, 12:41 PM
i dont hate lateralus! it's a great album!

43%dillinger
04-11-2005, 08:34 AM
everyone hates lateralus?? where do you live?? lateralus is my all time favorite album, youre surrounded by bad people! GET OUTTA THERE

kirk
04-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I do not see the interdependence like Horacio at all! Horacio is on another Planet. I do not even see or hear similarities. And he has the feel of Smith and Virg is stiff WOW!! Virg sound's like a fusion master and Carey sound's like a great rock drummer. Virg could learn Polyrhythmically from Carey :confused: , I would have to say Virg is completely on another level when it comes to Polyrhythm's. I have seen and heard Carey and have seen and heard Virg and find Carey to be not even close, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Carey is a real good rock drummer but I am far from being blown away. And let's just say I will not listen to Carey if I want to hear Jazz or Swing or fusion leave it to the Master's. The comparison's seem a bit off to me. But like I said Carey is a real good drummer and he is unique I will give him that but technically I have never been impressed not when mentioning him in the same breath as Virg, Horacio, Smith and Lang.

Kirk

Nemesis
04-25-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm both an admirer of Donati and Carey's work. Virgil is, with Minnemann and Thomas Lang, the best drum player in this world. But musicaly, I must admit Danny Carey is by far my biggest inspiration. I think Tool is the best rock band since Led Zeppelin.

I understand well other guys here who say that Carey's not as thechnical as Virgil and it's absolutely true. But the most difficult thing is not to find a beat that fit in perfectecly in the music ?

Johnny
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I love his playing.

johngregson
04-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Tool rock. Latarelus is superb!
Possibly a bit esoteric for most people, but great nonetheless (or because of!).

Johnny
04-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Tool rock. Latarelus is superb!
Possibly a bit esoteric for most people, but great nonetheless (or because of!).

It's one of those "it takes a couple of listens" albums.

johngregson
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Yup. They're my favourite kind!

jonathan
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Danny is amazing, definitely one of my biggest influences, the rhythms he creates are perfect for music, you can't ask anything more than that. I can't wait to buy the modern drummer video this year when it comes out (cuz he's in it). His interest in the occult and other esoteric matters just makes me repect him more, because i share similar interests, and i think his spirituality definitely has an effect on the music he makes. Tool is by far my favourite band, their music improves my life, simple as that. The way they've integrated spirituality so deeply into their music is incredible, very few other bands have done it so well and convincingly, perhaps Cynic but despite their phenomenal musicianship their album seemed to have a bit less emotion and feeling than Tools music. Lateralus is their best album in my opinion, alot of people think its eanima but i disagree, schism has to be the best song in the world!! Cant wait to hear their new album, from what ive read it sounds like its gonna be amazing, watching them play live is probably gonna be one of the most intense things ever.

Johnny
04-25-2005, 10:31 PM
They are a very interesting live band.

Dillinger
04-26-2005, 04:24 AM
Is there anyone who doesn't like Carey's playing? I think pretty much every drummer in the world has nothing but kind things to say about Carey's playing! He is a fantastic drummer, and Tool would certainly not be the same band without him. Fantastic drummer for a fantastic band!

johngregson
04-26-2005, 04:30 AM
Just wait, Brodequin will be here shortly!

alencore
04-26-2005, 01:02 PM
1998 i left drumming for good until 2000 i got into Tool's music quite heavily listening deeper to some of their albums.
in short - Danny brought my interest and some passion to drumming back.

he's like 70% of what Tool is made of imo.

Tama3186
04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
on the song H @ about 3:05 ,how sweet does it get?.. that sweet, my god it sounds so blissful, you guys know what i mean

Soya
04-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Out of all the music that I listen to, I have never heard a drummer that finds the perfect groove for every song.

Wankmaster Joe
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Mike Portnoy so far has found the perfect groove for Dream Theater's songs. :D

x86zero
05-15-2005, 11:14 PM
one time danny carey was playing this clinic and him and mike portnoy had a drum off and like half way through mike portnoy was like "this is gay" and he got up and left.

Wankmaster Joe
05-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Hmmm I'm wondering if that ever happened is there any way you can prove this pics maybe?!? :confused:

x86zero
05-16-2005, 12:35 AM
my photoshop skills aren't that great so no.

C.J.
05-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Hum... like WTF?

johngregson
05-16-2005, 06:01 AM
my photoshop skills aren't that great so no.
Haha! that's hilarious!
Actually, to get back to the topic...anyone else heard Adrian Belew's new solo album 'Side One'? It's got Les Claypool and Mr. Carey on it - quite frankly, it rocks!
As obvious as this may be, but it really sounds like a genuine fusion of King Crimson, Primus and Tool! Very nice stuff.
Check it out everyone!
John.

ghostnote3000
05-16-2005, 06:48 AM
oh 43%dillenger, you and danny carey. I really respect his playing, it is very creative, unique, and tastefull. I love his style and his approach on music.

C.J.
05-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Ah some more grub for my ears!! Thanks John!

johngregson
05-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Just doing me job!

C.J.
05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Yakee doey dah!

Yes, you! You reading this post. You ARE alout to respond with a nice little "WTF?!".
C'mon! "WTF" me! Do it! I'm waiting! Go ahead! Bring it on! What ya waiting for!? "WTF"!!! Do it!!

Goodbye now,
Me.

johngregson
05-16-2005, 03:31 PM
W.....t.......f?

Wankmaster Joe
05-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Huh? :confused: WTF!?!?!?!??!?!!??!?!??!?!

cjcdrums
05-17-2005, 12:13 AM
WTF (http://forumspam.articblue.nl/misc/misc/images/0759.jpg)

There. :)

vdreignsuponus1
05-17-2005, 05:29 AM
soundboard?

C.J.
05-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Richie, you seem to be having trouble here. I didn't say "Soundboard" but "WTF". Let me help you a bit:

"C.J., WTF are you saying!?"

cjcdrums
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Soundboards: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/morepranks.shtml

http://celebsoundboards.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/soundboard/

Your welcome! :D :D :D

C.J.
05-17-2005, 02:47 PM
That's unfair. I want y'all to insult me!

johngregson
05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Is this like Fight Club?

C.J.
05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Oh you wanna start one? I'd like to be hit first.

johngregson
05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
C.J. Durden is in the Red Corner...

C.J.
05-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Let's Get Ready To Rrrrrrrrummmmmbbbleeeeee!!!!

toteman2
05-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I would first like to say IMO Danny Carey is one of the best sounding and creative drummers I've ever heard in my life...His Power and feel and unmatched my ANYONE, including his Virgness...There is without a doubt there are drummers more seasoned and more techincal than him, and drummers who have broken more walls of limits down, but i can't really think of a drummer who i like to listen to more than him...

All of his parts are soo articulate, and smooth...I'm still unable to figure out how he plays alot of his parts...Examples would be (fills in Ticks in leaches), (Playing in odd time signatures in Lateralus, and Eulogy), and the part in the the instrumental at the end of the Lateralus CD (I have not the slightest clue to how to play that)...

The great thing about Carey is that he is in one of the best Prog bands in the world, and they play his work on the radio alot...It's nice to get the mainstreem aware that there actualy are great musicains out there...

I can't wait to see the MD veistival this year...

MrFizzyCola
05-19-2005, 02:12 AM
It's one of those "it takes a couple of listens" albums.

Personally i loved it straight away, but after a 'couple of listens' i was even MORE into it! lol

I found Aenema was the album that was a couple o' listens worthy to adhere to.

jonathan
05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Tool is in my opinion the best band in the world, my favourite songs are schism (incredible), the grudge, parabola, lateralus, reflection, stinkfist and pu****. I only discovered reflection quite recently, as with most of Tool's stuff it took a while, or a little longer than most bands anyway, the rolls around the toms towards the end of the song when it kicks up a notch are just incredibly smooth and the way maynards singing finishes it off is overwhelming. Does anyone else listen to that song alot? They have a way of creating very atmospheric, brooding interludes in their songs which are always complemented really well by Danny's rhythms. The sticking combinations on the hi-hat and ride cymbal during pu**** and aenema are so complicated that im surprised sometimes that Danny can remember them, (well not really but you know what i mean). Its my deathwish to be able to play pu****, amazingly powerful song!

dorothy
05-29-2005, 01:53 AM
first off, danny is amazing. all of his work is phenomenal. after seeing him live i knew i was seeing a great. but i'm ashamed honestly of all of you guys. not one mention in this thread of Peart.