PDA

View Full Version : Derek Roddy shows what he's got

Fede
09-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Hi everyone!

There's been so much chatter about who's the fastest in the kick-department, so I thought I'd post this link. Don't how long it will be up:

http://koma.frac.dk/trommespil.swf

It's a few minutes of Derek Roddy going nuts solo. For those who don't know, Derek Roddy is a highly regarded death metal drummer capable of going in excess of 250 BPM in singles. Just take a look.... :)

Don't know why it is in the shape of a ShockWave-file....it's just a movie...

Christopher
09-30-2003, 11:26 AM
I've heard him before, but not as fast as this clip. He's blistering fast. I would love to see his footwork on this.

This clip reminds me of a track called "Drum Check" from one of the newer Morbid Angel albums. It's like a spoof MP3 where Pete Sandoval (drummer of Morbid Angel) demonstrates a 'sound check' before a show. He simply goes crazy the same way Derek played in this video.

"Can I hear your kickdrum please, Pete"

peter
09-30-2003, 12:12 PM
Are we sure these are all single-strokes
on the kicks? Sometimes, it looks like he's
doubling but look at him lean forward for
those singles! Wow!

Yup. Those are definitely doubles with the
swish for a bit there.

I don't know, Christopher! I haven't started
to focus on singles yet. I can't compete there.

Maybe the doubles...

I'm soldering the contacts now. The wires
(solder) became undone with the vibration.

:)

peter
09-30-2003, 02:36 PM
OK, Christopher...

Doubles and variations at 250bpm:

www.thediametrixletter.com/dogpoops18.mp3

That hurt!

It just occurred to me that Christopher
likely meant Pete Sandoval!!!!

bootdogs
09-30-2003, 02:53 PM
What are you playing these on by the way? I always see you posts with the dogpoops*.mp3 naming scheme, but I always forget to ask you on what you play on to generate these mp3's.

I know you play on electronic drum pads and stuff. Im sure you also play on an acoustic kit right? You should take a video and show us your footwork! :D

peter
09-30-2003, 03:06 PM
These are the same Yamaha DTX2's you
have seen in my videos before. I have
two kick towers instead of one and am
using two separate Eliminator pedals.

I do not have my acoustic kit set-up. I
do not have the room. Perhaps in the
future, I'll get the chance again, in a
different home.

For this run, I notched up the beaters
(closer to the heads by .5 to 1 inch). They
are 5-inches from the kick-pad. I am also
using White Cams on the pedals.

My feet are very low on the footboard,
the heels totally off them. I was using
basketball shoes (terrible for kicking).

It was a strain to keep that up. I just
did it for Christopher. I try and keep
my routines at 180, for articulation,
though it did not come out too bad.

I have tried to describe every aspect of
what I have done to get this result,
short of video. I'll try and get to it, if
I can free up some hard-drive space
in the near future.

You have to treat the feet like the hands
but realize that, as far as speed, they
actually have an advantage, IF you use
the rebound off the surface of the head.
Your arms are NOT as strong as your
legs. Therefore you can generate more
force with those pedals.

This allows for more rebound and higher
speeds but you can't be afraid of doing
it. I think some people think it's cheating
and that's just not true, in my opinion.

Everyone bounces to a certain degree,
that go this quickly, unless they're single-
stroking and that's a different story.

Fede
09-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Derek Roddy does not use doubles, just like most other death metal / metal players.

quitou
09-30-2003, 04:06 PM
I don't think bouncing to get double strokes is cheating at all...after all I think it's the end result (ie. what it sounds like) that counts and playing the way Peter plays, bouncing or not, sounds pretty stupendous to me...it sounds clean and fast and tight...why kill yourself trying to play each individual stroke if you can get the exact same result by bouncing...makes sense to me to bounce the strokes...look how quickly Peter has managed to get his doubles up to insane speeds by using the technique he describes...

peter
09-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Fede,

I could be wrong but the sway of legs,
during portions of that video, looked to
me like he was using doubles.

Check it out again.

Are you certain that during this video
he did not use doubles, during a couple
of segments? Again, I could be wrong.
I know that likely most of it was done
with singles.

When he was leaning forward,
especially, that's when I thought he
was doing those killer-singles that you
mentioned and that I have heard about
and no doubt - they are GREAT!

No offense, Fede. I really dig you and
your posts. I just studied what I saw.
Maybe you can verify it for me/us.

Would you? I really would like to know. :)

peter
09-30-2003, 04:09 PM
I would love to hear Virgil talk about
this some more and that next clinic
I attend or concert that I see, I am '
going to ask him point blank about it.

peter
09-30-2003, 08:55 PM
I had heard of Derek and
Sandoval before but only
recently. They sure do have
incredible kicks.

DeepThought
09-30-2003, 09:39 PM
http://pagansmurfen.ath.cx/~blasphemer/MP3//Derek%20Roddy%20Drum%20Solo%20(Hate%20Eternal).mpg

A link to a larger but higher quality vid of the same solo.

Fede
10-01-2003, 02:29 AM
The swaying motion that you see is his special technique. It is still singles but he's swaying his angles sideways "between" strokes. He does this with both legs, but for some reason it has always been more visible on the left, leading many into speculations whether he, when doing triplets, was doubling with the left foot and playing singles with the right. But actually it is only singles, always singles as far as I know.

IIRC there has been some talk here on the forum about Pete Sandoval using the same sideways motion.

Thanks for sharing DeepThought!
If you have any other links of that nature, please post some! :)

DeepThought
10-01-2003, 05:05 AM
Wish I did, one video was enough to make me cry ;)

peter
10-01-2003, 06:56 AM
That's wild!

I wonder why he would have multiples
techniques for doing the same thing,
though - unless it's for resting.

I'm downloading it again, DT and I see
already that this is going to give me
better resolution.

I believe he has an instructional video
out. Maybe someone has it and they
can tell us more about Derek's approach.

Thanks, Fede and DT!!! :D

frank
10-01-2003, 08:12 PM
WOW that's the fastest footwork i've ever seen/heard!!

a bit sad that the solo is like that the whole time, so i'm asuming that this drummer can't do anything but pound his bassdrum REALLY hard and fast... but HELL they're fast!!
I'm going to see Dimmu Borgir live today with Nicholas Barker on the drums... he's a bit like that Roddy guy, but I'm pretty anxious to see that creepy fast stuff live with my own eyes!
Roddy seems to be doing single strokes.. they really sound like single strokes, and most of the time, it looks he's playing single strokes too.. but because of the bad quality of the movie, it sometimes looks like he's doing doubles, but I really hear singles there.. all the bassdrumhits are exactly of the same volume.. just like Dimmu's Barker does.. (my internet is kinda slow, so i'm not gonna download that mpg...)

thnx for posting that vid Fede, I've never seen anything quite like it!!

It's a bit disappointing though, as I can only do 170 bpm single strokes at best... :/ (double strokes at 100 or sth lol...)

jimi
10-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Jeez thats fast! but i did get bored halfway through after i got over the speed, cos thats all it is.
Dont get me wrong, thats great to be able to do, and its totally within the genre of music he plays but what would a master drummer be able to do with that facility?!!:eek:

Christopher
10-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Its funny that you guys are talking about Roddy.

I just saw Strapping Young Lad + Devin Townsend + Zimmer's Hole last night and there are some really HARD hitting drummers in there, especially Gene Hoglan (drummer of SYL). The guy is simply overweight, huge, but man he can really hit the drums hard and fast. His feet were consistent and never missed a beat.

Just thought I should share!

Fede
10-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Jimi: I've often thought the exact same thing. It's fascinating how incredibly fast and tight those death metal drummers can do blast beats - it must have some incredible uses applied around the kit if anyone would bother....

Christopher:
Gene is one of my all time favourites. Fast and consistent while at the same time exciting and versatile. Just try out the Death album called "Symbolic" from 1995. Twin ride setup explored to its fullest, cannot make up my mind whether the handwork is more impressive then the foot work or vice versa.

The guy is huge, has been waying about 400 lbs/200kg and using a cane for long periods of his life. While they were recording the Symbolic album in 1995, he was suffering from back problems which made him incapable of walking on his own. The other bandmembers had to carry him from a couch in the studio to the kit when it was time to record and then back again during breaks. Try listening to the album while keeping that in mind.... not your first guess.... :)

frank
10-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, just got back from seeing Dimmu Borgir live in Paradiso, Amsterdam, Holland...
There were 2 bands opening for DB, and the 2nd band had a drummer that must have weighed about 120KG's!! He had feet with single strokes faster than Virgil's double strokes I guess... I don't remember the name of the band unfortunately!
After that, Dimmu Borgir came on, and I was totally in awe of those bassdrums!! Nicholas Barker can do single strokes easily at 250bpm, maybe faster, and makes it look like childsplay!! His hands come along very easily, and it looks like he doesn't even have to break a sweat!! he's a monster!! and he's GREAT!! (well, with speed anyways..) But he's really FAT!! he's HUGE!! He would really make a great McDonalds commercial!!

".. *BRRRRRRRRRRR!* Come to McDonalds more often! You'll get really strong legs!!"

Freaky: One of the guitarist was bleeding in his left hand, by playing the guitar so fast and hard....

But man... that guy was just scaring me with his speed and weight.. :)

I bet he's of of the fastest drummers, along with Derek Roddy, who seems to be freakin' fast too..!

\m/

frank
10-02-2003, 06:29 PM
One last thing I gotta add: That fast playing is very cool and those drummers are really great, but that extreme speed is boring me out! They never put any diversity in it! It's always TAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAKTAK blabla ....

IMHO... :)

IronCobraMan
01-21-2005, 12:54 AM
i know this is an old old thread... but.... peter...derek roddy is not using doubles in this vid... he has a very strange left foot technique...looks like heel toe to me... but if u look at his right leg...its always singles.... most death metal drummers never bother to learn doubles...cuz they can do everything with singles... speed, endurance .....

which is my problem....im so content with my singles...that i keep working on them...and dont give my doubles enuf time.... i got a big dilemma

deadlydrummer
06-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Derek roddy is more technical than most drummers he does just more than death metal....he does blues and other ****....and pete that ****er tilts his bass drums so he has less action kinda cheatin but what the **** ever

b.forth
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I know Derek personally, and have watch him play from behind his kit. He definitely plays singles that fast. And consistently I might add. Incredible feet, and he makes it look so effortless, but he's so humble about it. He never talks about how fast his feet are unless you ask him. Whenever we talk, it's usually not about drums, but other things. He's very cool.

IronCobraMan
06-22-2005, 10:48 AM
when ur playing flatfooted , its hard not to be consistant...its the best technique for being tight.... thats why most deathmetal drummers use it... less effort, tighter, more powerful... but ur limiting ur speeds....

Markdude465
06-25-2005, 12:34 PM
um, I'd like to see the video... and it doesn't work. :(

IronCobraMan
06-25-2005, 11:47 PM
i spent the day working on derek's style of flatfooting ... and man is it ever consistant.... never miss a beat, so much power , and comfortably i was able to reach 240-245 .... im switching to this technique when i play live from now on.... and the one footed blasts are dead on with flatfoot....

and surprisingly i was able to play very dynamicaly while doing 16th rolls.... with extra full leg motion , i was able to increase the power of my strokes at will.... brrrrRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRrrrRRRRRRRR... awesome stuff

Drumcanman
06-27-2005, 07:27 PM
The swaying motion that you see is his special technique. It is still singles but he's swaying his angles sideways "between" strokes. He does this with both legs, but for some reason it has always been more visible on the left, leading many into speculations whether he, when doing triplets, was doubling with the left foot and playing singles with the right. But actually it is only singles, always singles as far as I know.

IIRC there has been some talk here on the forum about Pete Sandoval using the same sideways motion.

Thanks for sharing DeepThought!
If you have any other links of that nature, please post some! :)

I have dial up so cant see the clip till later but yes Derek is very fast as well as Pete.
From what I have been told Pete gets 4 notes per foot using Gladstone style up down which is the same as most extreme drummers except Pete plays in 4's so I am told.
Derek swivels side to side which is a OLD JAZZ technique,Jerry Brown demonstrated this at a clinic in the 70's of course not as fast as Derek.
Tim Waterson www.drumcanman.com

bateria
06-27-2005, 07:41 PM
WOW that's the fastest footwork i've ever seen/heard!!

a bit sad that the solo is like that the whole time, so i'm asuming that this drummer can't do anything but pound his bassdrum REALLY hard and fast...

I know you posted this 2 years ago, but just so everyone knows...Derek posted some smokin' latin clips a while ago and definitely proved that he is much, much more than just a fast metal drummer.

Sam L
08-19-2005, 06:43 AM
Goddamnit where did that video go?

orange pearl
08-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Anychance someone could post a link to those latin solos? I've heard about them but not seen them. Are they still working?

rkettner
08-19-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't think bouncing to get double strokes is cheating at all...after all I think it's the end result (ie. what it sounds like) that counts and playing the way Peter plays, bouncing or not, sounds pretty stupendous to me...it sounds clean and fast and tight...why kill yourself trying to play each individual stroke if you can get the exact same result by bouncing...makes sense to me to bounce the strokes...look how quickly Peter has managed to get his doubles up to insane speeds by using the technique he describes...

I agree to a certain extent. Ultimately sound is what matters... however, when you start talking about speed drumming... the speed and selection of technique come in to question... as it is more about the sport than the music.

Jameson
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Does anyone still have this video?

Derek Roddy
08-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Anychance someone could post a link to those latin solos? I've heard about them but not seen them. Are they still working?
i'm actually working in the studio all this week and next. i'll record a few solo's (latin and non-latin) for you guy's and post them this week or next. Just don't make fun of my crappy playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny
08-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh, spare us the false humility. You rock.

Derek Roddy
08-19-2005, 09:29 PM
well, i guess if i thought i rocked....i would have no reason to get better........................................which, I feel I need to do. thanks though. i really value you guy's opinions. and if you think "i rock" then great, i'm happy!!!!!! still need ALOT of work.

Wankmaster Joe
08-19-2005, 10:44 PM
well, i guess if i thought i rocked....i would have no reason to get better........................................which, I feel I need to do. thanks though. i really value you guy's opinions. and if you think "i rock" then great, i'm happy!!!!!! still need ALOT of work.

Yes but barely not as much as alot of us. HEHE

slamnovalis
08-20-2005, 03:00 AM
i'm actually working in the studio all this week and next. i'll record a few solo's (latin and non-latin) for you guy's and post them this week or next. Just don't make fun of my crappy playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Derek,

You should record a "just kiddin' :p ;) " solo.

What do I mean?- Well let me quickly elaborate.

Many of the Roddy fans like to post the Roddy videos on other drummer forums that, I gues, aren't so Roddy-style friendly. Actually, on the Pearl forums recently, these videos were posted, and one teen (who I feel I did a great job of laying out and potentionally setting straight) made the remark of:

"but can he groove

let me answer the for you. NO!"

or something to that effect. That didn't sit well with me, and so another person posted one of those older solos you shared with us a few months ago. Immediately, people saw past the (heaven forbid you were playing for the music too) "speed" and beyond the blasting, and realized the fact that you are indeed a drummer- a person who hits things for Adam and Eve's sake, in time, in a rhythmic fashion, and without any limitations, just a little type-casted in terms of a style and genre, but hey, whos isn't?

Anyway, the "just kiddin' :p ;) " solo would be an introductory solo. It would be a solo primarily showcasing a solo based around speed, for bits and giggles (I'm trying to cut back on profanity and vulgarity on the boards these days), where people would be like "Oh, I told you!!!- this guy CAN'T groove." Then all of a sudden you reach deep into the pocket, and you lay 'em out! You lay 'em out with something spiffy like Chambers, but at the same time, subtle like Gadd, all in the last ten seconds of this solo. Then this people will feel the wrath of their computer speakers, and become the victims of PC audio/speaker homicide.

Seriously, I think you should go through with this.

alencore
08-20-2005, 04:02 AM
i'm sure he can groove coz Derek did mentioned he plays along beatle tunes every now and then on his basement. but to see that and prove it for once and for all would be sweet.

ENOUGH WITH THE BLASTING PLS PLAY ROSANNA FOR A CHANGE!!!

C.J.
08-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Slamnovalis' idea doesn't sound bad att all. Derek, if you're in for some fun, and of course if you have the time, I too think that that would be a great idea.

Cheers,
Me.

P.S. Oh yeah, Johnny is right, you rawk miteur Dairaik Rowdey (howdee ho?)!

roxz
08-20-2005, 05:55 PM
!!!FAST DRUMMERS ARE FAST GROOVERS!!!

only half the world can't hear it

Derek Roddy
08-22-2005, 07:01 PM
i'm sure he can groove coz Derek did mentioned he plays along beatle tunes every now and then on his basement. but to see that and prove it for once and for all would be sweet.

ENOUGH WITH THE BLASTING PLS PLAY ROSANNA FOR A CHANGE!!!

http://rapidshare.de/files/4269647/02-rosanna_shuffle.mp3.html

Well,.........................It's NO parcaro! But, who is right?

Damn, I hate rapid share!!!

KarnEvil
08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
That kit sounds godlike... and so does the man behind it.

Sam L
08-22-2005, 07:31 PM
PWNED! Hats off, Derek!

alencore
08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
wow! tnx Derek...downloading...hhehe, it's say rosanna shuffle...i'm already so excited and i hate my dial up yet it's useful owee.

Ken Kaniff
08-23-2005, 12:44 AM

This is one of my favorite grooves and your rendering sounds pretty cool. Plus, I love the snare sound!

Derek, when you play tunes like this one, do you use your Axis pedals or switch to something else with different settings?

alencore
08-23-2005, 05:54 AM
yeah this groove really makes a full time drummer simply a Drummerc with a serious capital D. ilove hearing it played by different ppl starting with Purdie (originator of the beat i think), bonzo, porcaro, simon, weckl, chambers, bisonette etc and today Roddy simply swung it away hehe.

Derek Roddy
08-23-2005, 07:39 AM
i've been into this since the parcaro video came out! (87/88 I think) started working on it then.
I also had the chance to jam with Berard Puride about 2 years ago at a clinic/benifit in Rhode Island. After seeing him do it i was blown away. Stuck with me ever since.
Although, I wasn't really playing roanna but more the shuffle, makes me want to go to the room today and take my Toto disk. LOL!!!
Glad you guy's liked it. Now if I could only make it feel worth a crap. Practice, practice......................................................

Derek Roddy
08-23-2005, 07:44 AM
This is one of my favorite grooves and your rendering sounds pretty cool. Plus, I love the snare sound!

Derek, when you play tunes like this one, do you use your Axis pedals or switch to something else with different settings?

Yea Ken, I ALWAYS use my Axis pedals for everything. it's funny though, because I don't own a double pedal. If i set up only one kick drum.......I play only one kick drum. right now, I'm in my "one kick" phase.

Ken Kaniff
08-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Axis pedals must be very versatile then. Thanks Derek.

mont_man22
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
is it just me or does the original posted video not work for other people too.

GeorgeKollias
08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey Derek,you rule brother!!

cjcdrums
08-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Haha, we lured another famous drummer to the site... awesome!

Derek Roddy
08-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey Derek,you rule brother!!

word!!!
didn't we just talk? hahahaha.
told you uh? cool site with cool people.

C.J.
08-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I love this board!

I'm listening to the Rosanna Roddy shuffle right now... Sweet!

Yeah, I love this board, you guys just make me feel happy!

Cheers all,
Me.

GeorgeKollias
08-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Definitelly Derek,i need to check everything here...
Nice place you got guys,keep it rock!!!

Bostic
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
It's about time you showed up George! Welcome.

C.J.
08-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Hey let's throw a party, I offer e-cake and e-Beer to everyone here!

Cheers!

cjcdrums
08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I'll order the e-pizza! Hope nobody likes mushrooms...

C.J.
08-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Sorry dude I love fungus (no misunderstanding please!!!)!

Derek Roddy
08-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Sorry dude I love fungus (no misunderstanding please!!!)!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Johnny
08-23-2005, 08:03 PM
e-martini for me.

IronCobraMan
08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
hey derek great feel on that hi hat.... when u start off ur shuffle im hearing ride and hat....are u doing the shuffles with ur foot? like in the lang vids ? or are u jus accenting with ur hand on the ride bell ?

Derek Roddy
08-24-2005, 07:52 AM
hey derek great feel on that hi hat.... when u start off ur shuffle im hearing ride and hat....are u doing the shuffles with ur foot? like in the lang vids ? or are u jus accenting with ur hand on the ride bell ?

it's with the foot! just feels natural for some reason.

mont_man22
08-24-2005, 08:24 AM
derek its sweet you finally got some vids on your site ive seen them already but there saved to my computer, you motivate me to work on my double bass. Do you know any good excersises to coordinate my left foot better? Or is it just a matter of just playing with it with straight single beats or something, help me out. The new album is sick, congrats to you and fellow members of hate eternal!! keep up the good work!!

slamnovalis
08-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Derek Roddy, George Kollias-- Goodness gracious

C.J.
08-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Montman,

I know you're post was adressed to Derek, but I got some of his exercices from his forum which he recomended for strengthening the left side. They helped me, and I hope they will help you.

Other than basic coordination exercices (i.e. simply playing 16th on the double kick and whatnot) they're played on the Hi-hat.

The idea is to play the simple 4/4 beat between your right foot and right hand: "Poum Tchak Poum Tchak".

Now the next step to that is to play single stokes, double strokes, and paradidles 16ths (one rudiment at a time of course) against this beat, between your left foot on hi-hat, and left hand on hi-hat (or anything else), with left had lead.

As with everything else, start slow. Like Derek said, even if you play this a 100bpm, it will still help. I can tell you, it helped me a lot with my weak side!

Try it out and get back to us.

All the best,
Chris.

mont_man22
08-24-2005, 10:38 AM
thanks cj for the help ill give it a try ive been working with using my calf/hipflexer muscles to get a more relaxed speed feel and all i need to do is cooridinate my left foot a little more with my right as to not get flams at huigh speeds thanks.

C.J.
08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
As far as "techniques" with footwork, I'm sorry to say that would not have anything for you. You see, I don't analyse how I do it (maybe I should...), I just do it! Of course I check out that my right and left foot are doing the same thing.

I'll advise you to refer to Cjc, and the other "footwork scientists" on the board for that kind of advice/input.

Cheers,
Me.

GeorgeKollias
08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Man,this place is really really cool,it's a shame that i can't spend much time right now...To all the European guys,if anyone has the chance to see Nile on this tour,come and talk some drums with me,i will be really glad!
See you soon Derek,you rule man \m/

Hail the drumkit!

orange pearl
08-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Man,this place is really really cool,it's a shame that i can't spend much time right now...To all the European guys,if anyone has the chance to see Nile on this tour,come and talk some drums with me,i will be really glad!
See you soon Derek,you rule man \m/

Hail the drumkit!

Well i'll hold you to that, I'm going down to the london show your playing with blood red throne, gutting hate eternal have pulled out though.

Speak to you there!

Sam L
08-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey George, sorry I wasted yours and Goss' time in Dublin by bringing you down to a closed Bruxelles, will sort you out with some beers this time ;)

alencore
08-26-2005, 03:21 AM
Fool In the Rain - wow john sounds heavy almost as laid-back as purdie.
i forgot it had some kind of latin feel of some sort in the middle.

alencore
08-26-2005, 03:36 AM
i've been into this since the parcaro video came out! (87/88 I think) started working on it then.
I also had the chance to jam with Berard Puride about 2 years ago at a clinic/benifit in Rhode Island. After seeing him do it i was blown away. Stuck with me ever since.
Although, I wasn't really playing roanna but more the shuffle, makes me want to go to the room today and take my Toto disk. LOL!!!
Glad you guy's liked it. Now if I could only make it feel worth a crap. Practice, practice......................................................
yeah, that's the beauty of drumming you can take a certain beat and play it the way you like it making sounds simply, you.
when we play rosanna as soon as we get to the end vamps or the jamming part man that's the part i love the most it's like i've been a good boy so i think on this last section of the song i deserve to hang loose and improvise and that's the part i'm working nowadays coz i there are ideas and some new licks to pour but it won't flow unless i figure out some funky ideas againts a shuffle first then build from there.

so how fat was Purdie when you jam with him? LoL! i think those fats are groove bombs.

STAVROPOULOS
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
hello all friends!
derek,how did u come to use the Yamahas pedals on that live i saw u with HATE ETERNAL?It was the one that u have posted saying that we could see the beater distance,remember?

Thanks,bye guys!

Nate1288
08-28-2005, 05:03 PM
are paragon cymbolsany good?????????????

bateria
08-29-2005, 04:09 PM
http://rapidshare.de/files/4269647/02-rosanna_shuffle.mp3.html

Dude, shut up, that was tight!

There is a reason why this man gets so much work, and it's because he can do THAT, not because he can play 250 bpm.

Derek Roddy
08-29-2005, 04:36 PM
wow, thanks man.
you know, it's wild you say that because of all the "fast" bands i've been a part of.....not one of them wanted me because of "how fast i play". funny huh!!!

bateria
08-29-2005, 06:21 PM
wow, thanks man.
you know, it's wild you say that because of all the "fast" bands i've been a part of.....not one of them wanted me because of "how fast i play". funny huh!!!

Don't thank me...thank you for showing that you can do the death metal speed thing AND be a groove monster (sometimes both at the same time.) Kids these days just practice blasts, and nothing else, and they just sound horrible because there's nothing behind their playing except mechanical 16th notes. You make it sound good because you're a musician, not a drum machine, and you have so many organic influences to draw from.

alencore
08-29-2005, 10:29 PM
yeah the man is indeed a musician, case closed. although there's one genre i would love to hear Derek plays and that's pure jazz traditional stuff, hehhehe. be-bop, swing, bigband you name it.

Derek Roddy
08-30-2005, 07:57 AM
yeah the man is indeed a musician, case closed. although there's one genre i would love to hear Derek plays and that's pure jazz traditional stuff, hehhehe. be-bop, swing, bigband you name it.

man, i SOOO wish i could find some guy's down here to play that stuff. i've wanted to do a trio for quite some time now. it's hard to find guy's that want to do that in Miami.
plus, i HATE posting any playing without music. i play MUCH better with other people. i'm working on it. i'll diff. post some stuff if i do find some dudes.

SyncopatedChaos
08-30-2005, 08:24 AM
I too would definetly die to hear this if you do derek let us know and if you guys play any gigs around here.

mont_man22
08-30-2005, 10:12 AM
wow its sweet how none of the derek roddy links work for me!! damn this cursed computer!!

Nate1288
09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
hey if any one knows how to get that nice loud crack out of the snare drum please write a message or message me thanks!

Trencherman
09-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Nate,

Rim shots give you a nice loud crack. All you do is hit the snare drum roughly in the centre of the head, and make sure the stick hits the rim of the drum at the same time as it hits the head.

Derek,

Nice playing dude. Tight and tasteful. I too would love to hear some jazz from you!!

T

SuperMario
09-03-2005, 02:32 AM
the hell is up derek!! you da man!!!

Tool
09-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey Derek,

can you tell me where I can order your instructional dvd?
I tried to contact you a while ago but got no response....plus you guys quit the European tour, I wanted to see you guys in Essen ;-(((((
Please let me know

STAVROPOULOS
09-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Format: SPECIFY either VHS, or Video CD (VCD)**

** Playable in most PC CD-ROM drives using any player software that supports Video CD, or from within Windows Media Player. Also playable in home DVD players that support playback of both CD-R/CD-RW and the Video CD format.

Price: $30.00 US Dollars within the UNITED STATES, $35.00 US Dollars REST OF WORLD

All those interested in purchasing a copy send a MONEY ORDER or CASHIER'S CHECK only! Do not send cash. All payments must be in US funds and payable to DEREK RODDY.

Mail to:
Derek Roddy's Drum Video #1
P.O. Box 814
Deerfield Beach, FL 33443
USA

Also include your address and some information about yourself (how long you've been playing, age, drum kit set up, etc.) for my personal records! Thank you for your interest
This is from a site named ''THE METAL OBSERVER'',where it has an interview with Derek and in the end it has this info!
Derek does this exist?

Derek Roddy
09-05-2005, 03:26 PM
yea, i haven't been selling it in about 2 years. the master copy I had was destroyed. i have short clips of it on my desktop. these are going to end up on my website in a couple of weeks.
keep checking www.derekroddy.com. new site should be up this week!!!

SyncopatedChaos
09-05-2005, 10:16 PM
the new site is killer derek congrats. glad to see you finally got some media up. i cant wait for your board to go back up.

alencore
09-06-2005, 01:35 AM
man, i SOOO wish i could find some guy's down here to play that stuff. i've wanted to do a trio for quite some time now. it's hard to find guy's that want to do that in Miami.
plus, i HATE posting any playing without music. i play MUCH better with other people. i'm working on it. i'll diff. post some stuff if i do find some dudes.

Hey Derek how about play along jazz minus drum? i have some here if you like i'll email some of them so you could play along them. their pure jazz stuff meant for the studying drummer i got from Alfred publishing.

Derek Roddy
09-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Hey Derek how about play along jazz minus drum? i have some here if you like i'll email some of them so you could play along them. their pure jazz stuff meant for the studying drummer i got from Alfred publishing.

yea man, send it over. that would be great. i'll play along with that stuff for sure. need too. i ssoo need to keep up with my jazz feel. like i said.....i can find guy's for everyother type of music known to man, but traditional jazz.........................................................another story. pm me. i'll send you my address. later....................................................

Tool
09-06-2005, 10:30 AM
So, no order possible, sh........
Are you going to sell it sometimes in the future Derek?
There are no copies left??????
IŽd love to have one........

styleone
09-07-2005, 03:19 AM
I discovered Derek Roddy through the videos online almost 2 years ago, the Death Metal lesson. Since then, I've not stopped once working on th exercises and try to get some inspiration out of him.

Derek Roddy is one of my favourite drummers and it's fantastic to have him here.

Keep on rocking and thanks for pushing it further. :)

Nate1288
09-12-2005, 02:27 PM
hey styleone great band man how old are u ?????

Nate1288
09-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Derek What Series Of Paiste Cymbals Do U Use?????????