PDA

View Full Version : working out...in relation to drumming

seanstrelecki
09-25-2003, 07:57 AM
I am a fitness fanatic kind of person...and also a drummer...and I was wondering, is wightlifting and bodybuilding necessarily BAD for drumming....I mean I do alot of cardio too...just wondering. Or is just plain drumming the best drumming workout? I dunno. share your input if you'd like.

BTW this is awesome..I can just post my thoughts and so far I've always gotten an answer! You guys are great.

bootdogs
09-25-2003, 10:49 AM
I personally think it depends what you want to work on and how you want your drumming to improve. Yes it's good to work out and add that extra fuel when you play, but it all depends where you want to distribute it.

I personally do a lot of cardio and play some tennis & badminton. This helps me a bit when Im on my kit. Eating well helps a lot too.

The bottom line to all this is : Healthy life will result in healthy and creative drumming.

Milo Porto
10-03-2003, 02:21 PM
i run everyday 45mins max!! i think that helps your body sort of warmed up for the day..as i play nights in a club..i need to keep in shape one way or another..plus i think running helps your double pedal work...its like warming up your calfs, thigh muscles!

carrying weights ..i think is good but at the end of the day it takes a lot of maintainence...i used to do weights as well almost everyday..but after my soccer injury...in which i tore my ankle ligament i realized that a full time musician cannot aford to get injured due to his job/passion.
bottom line..try not to have any contact sports...soccer, rugby, espeacially aussie rules football...as those guys are crazy..i mean crazy..to me aussie rules means - NO RULES LOL!:p
but it is interesting to see the game..as every tackle is followed by me going ooooooowwwwww!!! :D

jimi
10-05-2003, 02:20 AM
We were talking about this before and it seems even push-ups and chin-ups have caused alot of tenseness in the arm muscles. im not sure myself but for definite cardiovascular work is a surefire way of complimenting your drumming.
back to bodybuilding, ankle weights and things like that are fine, heck even try sticking them on your arms and try alien crossovers!:D

alencore
10-05-2003, 07:54 AM
me i cycle a lot and it's really good as far it seems for me for double bass stuffies.

Milo Porto
10-14-2003, 02:10 PM
cycle...hmmmm..wouldnt mind that but...i have a fear of buses riding along side me...as here in singapore you dont have much country sides...if i were to ride...it would be on the roads...and i dont think i would want to do that ..due to my fear of being runed over by a BUS or evena car....i treasure my drumming too much!!

i'll stick to running...!!
although i do agree cycling is a very good cardio sport as it is VERY VERY low impact...whereas running is very high impact...and if not with proper, good running shoes...it WILL damage the knee!!

thats why im using adidas running shoes..as they provide good low impact feel and its tracktion lasts looong!!:D

DavidPartay
10-14-2003, 10:55 PM
I power walk (takes me 12 minutes) to and from work on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday (except on Monday mornings when I drive a work car there for it to get picked up by another guy). That's my leg workout ;).

As for my arms, I rely on the Power Drumming exercises around the kit to work my arms out as I figure those exercises are working out the right muscles.

TUDW
10-16-2003, 03:37 AM
milo porto, man, is everyone against u or something! Danm, so paranoid of never playing the drums again! But thats cool, just to let you know that ur a dieing bread, meaning theres not that much drummers that dont take risks to risk never playing drums, if any of that makes sence.

Me.2
10-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by TUDW
milo porto, man, ur a dieing bread

Sort of like a Loaf that is half baked and unrisen,....stay with me i'm on a Roll! :D

quitou
10-16-2003, 09:21 AM
I ride a stationary bike everyday...good work out and it keeps me in shape...I would run, but I hurt my knees in the past by playing too many sports so now I prefer riding a bike because it's much lower impact on the knees...I don't lift weights anymore because I just get too big...I'm one of those guys that puts on bulk really easily and I don't really want to be some big meat head...i am naturally bulky enough with out weights, so I don't bother with them anymore (for now anyhow)

Anybody who thinks working out is bad for drumming, just look at Virgil...that guy is in amazing shape...I'm pretty sure he works out because it's hard to keep a body looking that fit when you get to be around his age...also look at Danny Carey, he works out a lot as well...he says that he does a lot of weight training and it doesn't seem to harm his playing...in fact anybody that listens to tool will tell you what an amazing drummer he is...

I think exercising is generally a positive thing, not just for drumming but for health and life as well...

kirk
10-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Virgil is a CYBORG!! The guy never stops. I just read an interview with the guitar player from Freakhouse. The guy was saying that Virg is the MOST disciplined committed guy he has ever seen and that is anything he does. He was telling a story of a gig they did, awhile back. They go and set up rehearse and really spend most of the day doing that. So Virg say's let's go chill I my pad. They all go and Virg as soon as he hit's the house goes on a 5 mile run right before the gig!! then comes back and is all pumped and full of energy and the guy's are shaking their heads thinking where in the heck does the guy get his motivation and energy and he practices for hours before he does all this. He is the non-stop TRAIN! I know that in past readings he swims, runs, does
yoga exercises, as far as lifting I do not know.

I myself lifted heavy weights hard for years and I got to stiff. Lifting lighter weights with more rep's worked good for me really built up my endurance and energy. Swimming is a great overall exercise working the whole body but keeping the body loose and limber at the same time
Kirk

Milo Porto
10-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by TUDW
milo porto, man, is everyone against u or something! Danm, so paranoid of never playing the drums again! But thats cool, just to let you know that ur a dieing bread, meaning theres not that much drummers that dont take risks to risk never playing drums, if any of that makes sence.

LOL!! :D
i get what you mean TUDW...!! but maybe you ment dying breed!! *not that i think that there are not many guys who are like me*...im sure there are tons of people like me who treasure too much , what they are doing to NOT jepordize their passion! doesnt have to be just in drumming but in other aspects as well....!! but thanx for the compliment anyways!! i belive that if you keep a focused mind to what you want to achive it WILL happen!!
its just a matter of when...!

i have seen some artiste not on their promo tour...grow really fat and sloppy!! but they shape up wqhen the time to promote their album comes near...and it must be a pain to get back into shape everytime you need to go on promo tour..why not stay fit always, that way you are ALWAYS prepared!

similarly i belive to be prepared for anything that people might wanna throw at you.....as in my case i make sure that my body/legs are pretty much warmed up/worked up! to last me thru the night where im playing nites to make ends meet!!
and also i belive that the more you work those legs, the more used they would get to strains...

i had a soccer injury sometime early this year around march ....
i tore my ankle ligament real BAD and it was swollen..as big as my calf and i could not apply preasure to my right feet/bass drum feet!! and it got me real mad..as i could not play the drums..and i got worried that i might not be able to play the drums as efficiently as before..but i worked my way back to health and swore not to play competitive sport, i still love football..but i will stick on the side lines and watch the game..i might have fun kick about BUT no more competitive games for me...! :D

thats why i have a fear of injuring myself / losing a limb! god!! i pray that day will NEVER come..as i wouldnt know how to live without drums! :( :(

thanx for listening! :D

jonberg
10-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Nice story about Virg Kirk!
He is truly devoted to drums and thatīs really inspiring.
Virgil hasnīt just moved me on his drumming skills but also with his healthy life. He is one of a kind human being!

Milo Porto
10-17-2003, 02:31 PM
:D

bevs_joey
03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
i think fitness is essential. especially for heavy metal as i play. you need alot of endurance for speed drumming. so i get up every morning at 6:00 am and run for 5 miles. i then come home have some energy boosting breakfast then im out on my bike again for another 4-5 miles (depending on how im feeling lol). after that i usually am nackered so i have a rest for about an hour. After that i have another meal and then im on the weights!! i work each muscle group differently. for example :
Mondays - biceps and legs
Tusedays - Triceps and abs
Wednesdays - pure cardio
Thursdays - shoulders and back
Fridays - chest and cardio
Saturdays - all body workout
Sundays relax aaaaa!!

I use weights of about 40 kg for biceps and shoulders and maybee about 95-100kg for chest. (but sometimes can only manage about 80 on a bad day lol)
when i say cardio i mean like a run for about 7-10mile.

well thats about it really.
hope that answers any questions

bye for now

Adam
03-21-2005, 05:23 PM
i think fitness is essential. especially for heavy metal as i play. you need alot of endurance for speed drumming. so i get up every morning at 6:00 am and run for 5 miles. i then come home have some energy boosting breakfast then im out on my bike again for another 4-5 miles (depending on how im feeling lol). after that i usually am nackered so i have a rest for about an hour. After that i have another meal and then im on the weights!! i work each muscle group differently. for example :
Mondays - biceps and legs
Tusedays - Triceps and abs
Wednesdays - pure cardio
Thursdays - shoulders and back
Fridays - chest and cardio
Saturdays - all body workout
Sundays relax aaaaa!!

I use weights of about 40 kg for biceps and shoulders and maybee about 95-100kg for chest. (but sometimes can only manage about 80 on a bad day lol)
when i say cardio i mean like a run for about 7-10mile.

well thats about it really.
hope that answers any questions

bye for now

Yeah...sure...

NO one has THAT much time in one day, or energy...that's a ****ing marathon a day? I doubt it...

johngregson
03-21-2005, 06:04 PM
I always try and be sensible with that sort of thing, especially when requiring sensitivity in the fingers...I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with working out more than 3 times a week - it allows the body to heal in between tearing the poor thing apart!
From the sound of your workouts, do you even have time to play the drums?!
John.

rastawes
03-21-2005, 09:20 PM
greetings all,
i'm usually out late at gigs or rehearsals 5 nights a week and my son goes to school at 8 so i'm pretty burnt...but when i eat right and and exercise lightly i definetely see the results not only in my drumming but in my demeanor as well. And I started doing Yoga everyday, dudes, want talk about relaxed-boom baby-...

take my son to school
eat breakfast and handle household responsibilities,yoga
practice
handle musical career business (phone calls, bookings, etc.)
lunch
practice
go to teach
go to gig or rehearsal

it's good to be back here by the way
wes

IronCobraMan
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM
for double bass drumming, i DO NOT work out my legs.... i get plenty of working out with my BPM training :P .... upper body work outs are great for dexterity, power and endurance.... it will help u move from tom to tom faster and smoother..every stroke will increase in power and ur endurance...well forget it... ur rolling all day....

heres a good work out routine for ur upper body that will not strain u physically...proven by nautilus trainers.

day1 - biceps and chest
day2 - triceps and back
day3 - shoulders and legs (but i leave the legs part out)

each muscle group consists of 3 different work outs.... ex : chest = flat bench , incline/butterfly super sets , decline bench ... 3 reps of 10 each ....

D.W.A.
03-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Sort of like a Loaf that is half baked and unrisen,....stay with me i'm on a Roll! :D

lol........gotta love typos. :D

cjcdrums
03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
w00t \m/ lol brb gtg

dave wilkinson
03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
all i can say is, good training to keep fit stamina wise without hurting your self, boxing, i go boxing training 3 times a week, i guess id have to suggest no sparring as you kind of want excercise with no contacct :D

Trencherman
03-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Doing strength training or bodybuilding doesn't do anything for your chops at all -- any bodybuilder will tell you that his (or her...yuk) muscles are for show and are not really functional at all. The best way you can work your muscles for drumming is, funnily enough, to practice drumming. :D And if you want big arms to show off to the girls, THAT'S why you do weights. :D I haven't worked out for a while but I'm gonna do a workout this morning. T

bevs_joey
03-22-2005, 04:48 AM
ok. that last post by me was a joke lol :p
I run now and again for about 30 mins on average a day (just enough to keep up my cardio). I weight train nearly every night for my upper body. eg. chest, arms (bi's & tri's), and shoulders. i dont really need to do yoga to relax as i do Tai chi and kung fu to do that. ;) well also i practise alot of speed drumming constantly and that takes really takes its told after a long session.

pcannon
03-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Do you guy's recall reading any info on NOT doing wrist curls for example, not developing the forearms to much. Seems to me I've read this in Mod-drummer many time, and have heard in circles its bad to over develop the forearms. I've even seen this on an old Bobby Rock vid,,,And he's HUGE! When I see body building dudes drum, they look uncomfortable!

vdreignsuponus1
03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
i run monday through friday 2-3 miles and work out every other day on my weight bench..

and im still a skinny little drummer..but im healthy!:)

alencore
03-22-2005, 01:09 PM
masturbation also help develop the wrist......hahaha!
i think i shld use my left more next time, LOL!

mtgarrett
03-22-2005, 01:55 PM

:D Or like the ones just sitting in the bag growing funny fuzzy blue and green patches.

DerNeue
03-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Well I lift the weights too. I think it does not necessarily make you stiff as long as you keep away from muscular imbalances (like only training chest and biceps) and stretch in a frequent way. It can only enhance your overall physique. Look at sprinters, they lift weights. Don't they?
They are fast because they do not only lift weights but mainly because they train speed. Just like us.
I have had very good experiences with the basic training. It only consists of the most important exercises.
I do this twice a week to protect myself from injuries and getting stronger and, you know, for my appearance:
2 Sets of Squat or Deadlifts
3 Sets of Benchpresses
3 Sets of bend over Barbell Rows
3 Sets of Military Press
3 Sets of Chinups

These exercises are done with a range between 6 and 12 repetetions. I try to add about 5 pounds every month in each exercise. It is just an example. I could do Dips instead of benchpresses or perhaps dumbell presses. But I try to only pick multi-joint exercises and free weights. I think it safes time and helps you to concentrate on the most basic things, in which you then can put more effort.

And Virgil also does weightlifting. He told me at a Clinic but I did not ask him for more details. Sorry. That is all in know.

O and according to the wrist exercises. I do not consider wrist curls a good exercise because it is not very safe. You can easily use a range of motion that is too big.
I prefer to train my arms indirect. If you ever trained deadlifts, chinups or rows with near full effort you will notice as the poundages increase you will sense a lack in forearmpower. But this is good. If you train on and on with good form and progress your forearms will develop in a way that benefits your overall strength. Even these minor muscles are trained with the above mentioned exercises. If someone only uses the basic movements and adds a few pounds every month he will also get his calves and arms in shape. And these movements stress many muscles at a time because the whole body has to stabilize. Without forearm muscles you can not perform deadlifts or any pulling movements. Think of it.

Get to more simple things. If you want to get stronger and bigger eat good, sleep good and progress in your training schedule.
That is my opinion!

DerNeue
03-22-2005, 02:34 PM
To ICM:
I am not as fast as you. O I wish I would! ;)
But I think the stress on your legs through double bass and through weight training is slightly different.
Plus: I also only do one exercise for the legs - the squat. But I think you really should do this exercise. Get professional advice how to do this exersice correct and safely. Also deadlifts are a great exersise if done in good form.
Deadlifts and the squat are one of the most important exercises for overall strength. Mostly every form strength connected with pressing is supported by the legs.
So you could perhaps do 2 Sets of squats a week without training to failure. But you know ---> progressing in weights over the time.

I know I may be to persistent but I think these points are important.
Let me know what you think.

@Trencherman:
This point about non-functional muscles is very interesting. If you are interested I would like to discuss this with you!
I think they are people that have non-funtional muscles. But if you train with free weights, cut back the volume and progress you are building fully functional muscles. I can explain this if you want to!

Images&Words
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I used to be big into running and soccer, but the tendonitis in my knees kinda brought an end to that, I still do some biking, in the summer I bike to town fairly often (25 miles) but other than I just get my exercise through drumming.

Adam
03-22-2005, 07:43 PM
ok. that last post by me was a joke lol :p
I run now and again for about 30 mins on average a day (just enough to keep up my cardio). I weight train nearly every night for my upper body. eg. chest, arms (bi's & tri's), and shoulders. i dont really need to do yoga to relax as i do Tai chi and kung fu to do that. ;) well also i practise alot of speed drumming constantly and that takes really takes its told after a long session.

haha, right on man :)

Yoga does rule for drumming purposes though

IronCobraMan
03-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Doing strength training or bodybuilding doesn't do anything for your chops at all -- any bodybuilder will tell you that his (or her...yuk) muscles are for show and are not really functional at all. The best way you can work your muscles for drumming is, funnily enough, to practice drumming. :D And if you want big arms to show off to the girls, THAT'S why you do weights. :D I haven't worked out for a while but I'm gonna do a workout this morning. T

ur totally wrong...keeping ur muscles in shape outside of drumming really increases ur playing inside of drumming.... tested and true...when im not working out... my blast beats are sloppier and lag ....but when im in physical shape...im a precision killing machine... so once again , ill have to call bs on that statement

DavidPartay
03-23-2005, 02:01 AM
I exercise to keep myself in shape, not to build muscle.

The best exercises for drummers are ones that keep the muscles moving. I sometimes practise ninjutsu twirls with a 6 foot staff which works your whole arm and wrist. Every few days I do sit ups, leg lefts and pushups. I try and go for a run once or twice a week.

DerNeue
03-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Nice workout Partay. But do you also do chinups?

DavidPartay
03-23-2005, 02:39 AM
nope, I don't have anything to do chinups comfortably with.

DerNeue
03-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I recommend you to get a chinning bar or something that allows you to do chins. Because you are mainly training your chest, triceps and front shoulders with the pushups. Over the time these muscles will overdevelop in relation to the back and the biceps and that can cause pain and bad posture. Try to add chins to avoid muscular dysbalances.
Just a tip but you want to keep fit with that and avoid pain. Right?

alencore
03-24-2005, 04:42 AM
I used to be big into running and soccer, but the tendonitis in my knees kinda brought an end to that, I still do some biking, in the summer I bike to town fairly often (25 miles) but other than I just get my exercise through drumming.
imo cycling is good for drumming especialy for the db mongers.

DavidPartay
03-24-2005, 05:11 AM
I do have a structural roof bracing thingy, only thing is that it's flat. Otherwise it's good for chinning as long as I keep my legs bent so they don't touch the ground ;).

DerNeue
03-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Even that is good. Because with bent legs it is easier to keep the body from swinging around and staying stable.
I would recommend not to chin into the neck because over the time you can really injure your shoulders badly.
So you can do wide chins with an overgrip or narrow with the palms facing you.