PDA

View Full Version : Chris Pennie and the Dillinger Escape Plan?

slamnovalis
09-19-2003, 01:41 PM
i've been listening to this band for years and was wondering if anyone else did the same?

chris's style as well as the band is an extreme combination of nicely combined jazz, metal, and prog with the little 'core' tacked on the end. the bands writing process is always done without keeping the time signatures in mind, but rather creating heavily syncopated riffs with quick time changes as well as tempo changes. a few examples that are from some of my favorite tunes from the bands are:

cleopatra's sling
monticello
the running board
sugar coated sour
43% burnt
4th grade dropout
when good dogs do bad things
the mullet burden

it's a hard style to follow, and i understand that, mainly because of the vocals, but if you're an openminded individual much like myself and can listen to anything, then you won't bitch...

http://www.bbg2.com/joab/chris%20dep.jpg

live setup... he usually uses two rack toms in the studio, but he's a beast live.

Christopher
09-19-2003, 03:39 PM
You're speaking my kind of language Slamnovalis. Not only because I totally dig DEP, but I'm a die hard fan of Mike Patton.

Yes, Im a die hard fan of Mike Patton. Who isn't? :)

I've heard his playing and I immediately loved it when I heard "Come to Daddy" and "When Good Dogs do Bad Things". Other great songs that I loved to hear were "Hollywood Squares" and "Pig Latin".

To play Patton's kind of music (or anything he would be involved in), you would definately need a broad array of sounds to complement what not only Patton wants to do, but what the whole band has to do with him. This is something that I noticed in the years that I have listened to his kind of music. Chris Pennie does an awesome job.

I have yet to see them live, though. Same goes for Tomahawk.

However, I saw Fantomas and the Melvins Big Band back in April with Dave Lombardo. Interesting stuff.

Cheers!

gatedropper
09-19-2003, 04:54 PM
I have seen them (DEP) 5 times now. Once with the new
singer. Never with Patton. Chris is one of the most
approchable dudes and one of the most humble.
In St. Louis, at the Creepy Crawl, I was able to sit behind him
both times I saw him there. His footwork was amazing.
The songs he has to drum to are rythmically out there.
In Memphis, both times I got to stay out front and
enjoy the band as a whole!. Ben is one great guitar
god. He and Pennie work very well together. You have
to see them live! That is an ORDER!!!
mc

Christopher
09-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks so much for that! - And yes, I WILL SEE THEM!!!!

Ill try anyway.

jonberg
09-24-2003, 04:16 AM
I saw Dillinger Escape Plan in Sweden for about 3-4 years ago in a small town where I live. I talked to Chris Pennie for awhile and he was a very nice guy, and a great player too. We talked about his practise routine and his influences and I also asked him what he thought of Virgils playing. He said that he is one of his biggest influences as far as technique matters, and that he listens to him for inspiration etc.
He told me that he would play for hours on his pad in the tour bus, when the others would sleep and begg for him to stop playing :D

The show was very much hardcore,which isnīt my kind of style, but at the end of the show, the bass sound screwed up so they stopped playing...except Chris...
...he started to play this fast (really fast) jazz pattern and solo over it and then he won my respect :D and meanwhile he shouted to the band to continue playing but everyone just stopped.
I think Chris is a very cool and great drummer!

Cheers!

Christopher
09-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Did you see them with Mike Patton jonberg?

jonberg
09-26-2003, 10:15 AM
I have no clue, I donīt know the other members name.
Sorry :(