PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Important

quitou
09-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Hello,
I went today to catch some of the C-Jazz festival here in Calgary today and it was amazing. I saw this one Big Band called the Prime Time Big Band...it is made up of all of the top musicians here in calgary...it was incredible...so solid and tight...and they are all sight reading the material aswell which makes it that much more impressive...it's one thing to be able to play like a maniac when you've rehearsed alot and really know the songs, but it's a completely different thing to play that well when you're reading off a chart that you've never seen before...

I also got to see my teacher play with a small quartet...he's a pretty popular Jazz player here in Calgary and he's unbelievable...especially at soloing...he comes up with some of the most creative and musical solos I've ever heard (I guess that's kinda expected from a guy that has an endorsement deal with Sabian cymbals)...and he does it all with a four piece kit, a single pedal, a ride, a crash, and a hihat (about as simple a kit as you can come up with)...maybe if I work hard enough I'll be able to play that way one day...

Just figured I'd share that with you all...