PDA

View Full Version : Lessons

quitou
09-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Hello,
Just out of curiosity, do any of you guys take lessons...or have you in the past??? I have pretty much taken lessons from the beginning and still do. I just find it really helps...my teacher gets me working on stuff that I know I'd never work on by myself...he is also really picky so it forces to really learn things with with alot of quality...lately my teacher has me playing a lot of Big Band jazz kinda stufff...pretty fun...I've been playing with a big band aswell a bit lately...it's different but very enjoyable...

Whats's your opinion on taking lessons???

peter
09-06-2003, 07:39 PM
I have taken e-lessons recently from
drum great Alex Sanguinetti. He has
unbelievable experience in practical
approach to the hands and kit.

jonberg
09-07-2003, 07:37 AM
I have taken lessons almost the whole part of my playing life with various teachers.
I have since 4years back a teacher who is one of swedens most hired drummers and a real proffesional. He is a very good teacher as well and I have learned very much from him.
But my biggest input to my drumming has been listening to great records and videos and of course all the hours of practise on the drumkit :)

Everyone should take some lessons in order to grow musically I think...every drummer has something to say so learning from other drummers can expand your own thoughts and techniques.

swedendrummer
09-07-2003, 10:59 AM
whos your teacher jonberg? i play with andre ferrari from Väsen and many more....hope you know him..

peter
09-07-2003, 05:07 PM
The best teachers look at you
and build on it. Also, while it seems
like most of the game is physical,
it's really mental.

alencore
09-07-2003, 11:28 PM
spot on comment there, Jonberg and Peter.

Lessons form drum teachers and even some non drum struff like guitar and bass teachers helps. Along the "follow the best drummer in town and court him good", is what i did. I made friends with all the best drummers in my area and got a lot of input from them as well as gears and more instructionl stuff like drum vids, books, mags and so on. I enjoy hanging around on some their gigs and watch them do their craft in real time. Surely lots of things drum wise would rub in as I watch them play.

jonberg
09-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Hi Swedendrummer.
Yeah I know Ferrari, he´s awesome!!!
I saw him watching the Clinic in Sthml with Marco Minneman, Thomas Lang and Johnny Rabb in april.
He´s got some really cool ideas and chops...I liked him when he played on Jonas Gardells "I mellanmjölkens land" :D

My teacher is Joakim Ekberg from Uppsala.
He plays with the Jazz elite in Sweden such as, Peter Asplund, Pierre Swärd etc. And he also teaches at the "musikhögskolan I Piteå" where I´m going right now on the Studiomusicians program. What are you doing Swedendrummer?? Studying or something else?
Cheers!!

swedendrummer
09-08-2003, 05:21 AM
im studying on a media program the 2nd grade...hope that i can get in to musikhögskolan in the future! was it hard to get there for you, how was the test?

Hip Alien
09-08-2003, 05:55 PM
I studied reading, rudiments and drum marches with a private teacher for a year, then studied at the Conservatory for 3 years. All i can say is, ' once you've learned the rudiments and learned how to read music, if you have the talent, the best lessons are LISTENING to a LOT of music and drummers, and PLAYING with good experimental musicians. Take lessons if you want to excel in an unfamiliar style of music.

jonberg
09-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Where do you go in school swedendrummer?

The tests were quite challenging, there were a Avista test (2songs, 1 really hard fusionsong with an exact drumpart to play, it was with soloing over 5/8 and latin and so on, and 1 regular pop song with a songsheet), a musictheory test, an interview and playing 2 own songs to a jury with a band.
It was funny but pretty hard, audition to it! It´s a good program, next autumn we go to Nasvhille and L.A and study on M.I. with our class, and nothing we have to pay for!!!

Cheers!

swedendrummer
09-09-2003, 07:48 AM
In falun...Dalarna. that program sounds like something for me!

v1rotate
09-09-2003, 07:50 AM
The last lesson I took was 2 classes by Virg (one for the hands and one for the feet), 4 lessons each, and there were 10 of us in the group. We were hopeless trying to keep up with Virg. The feet classes were especially embarassing, the sound of 10 students trying to keep up with Virg on the bass drum pads were pathetic.

jimi
09-09-2003, 10:15 AM
What id give to be a student of Virg!!! Id probably be like, nah i didnt practise(lie), so you play for the hour and i'll listen intently and learn:D

peter
09-09-2003, 10:41 AM
In a way, Jimi - we already are.

Milo Porto
09-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by v1rotate
The last lesson I took was 2 classes by Virg (one for the hands and one for the feet), 4 lessons each, and there were 10 of us in the group. We were hopeless trying to keep up with Virg. The feet classes were especially embarassing, the sound of 10 students trying to keep up with Virg on the bass drum pads were pathetic.

LOL!!! thats a really funny story...but i can relate to it....i can hear it now...bird shit dropping...!

v1rotate
09-09-2003, 11:05 PM
the sound of 10 students trying to keep up with Virg on the bass drum pads were pathetic.

We were doing doubles at one stage (albeit VERY sloooowly)but it all sounded like flams, paradiddle, singles and it even sounded like a Gatling Gun (a powerful machine gun on an aircraft) at one stage. :rolleyes:

jimi
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Can you keep up now v1??

v1rotate
09-12-2003, 12:52 PM
never really worked on doubles that much, mainly singles with triplets etc and leading with the left leg (alternating) etc. Much like the pattern on Slaves (Loose Change version). Been awhile since I played on a kit (it's back home in Melbourne).

jimi
09-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Stamina is real important for you so i guess with no doubling technique, its amazing how much longer you can play doubles with your feet than singles!

v1rotate
09-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Agree with you Jimi, doubles uses less effort to maintain HOWEVER it need ALOT of work to get them sounding like single strock rolls (kicks).

Now...back to the drum pad...LRLLRLRR......