PDA

View Full Version : U Suck...

alencore
09-06-2003, 12:59 PM
That's my inner bud telling me "u suck...alencore".

Just came from a little jam at this nice fully crowded rock club at Olongapo and for reason beyond my control my new band just could not get it, RIGHT. Rehearsals were fine but once on stage things got messy. Ahh, seems we need more pratice, practice, practice and lots of luck. ohh dear...

Atleast there's finally a rock club rockers can hang around with.

jonberg
09-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Alencore, donīt be so hard on yourself.
I know exactly how you feel, and I guess everyone else on this board knows it as well.
Everyone makes mistakes, even Virgil I guess...but itīs about taking that mistake and doing something good about it. Maybe it was a specific "lick" that you didnīt do as good as you wanted to do, but next time it will work better, and better next time, and the next time etc. Itīs like you say, itīs about practise and thatīs something EVERYONE has to do in order to grow as a player. Itīs hard, but everyone can do it, even you alencore.
Keep on drumming, and do it because itīs fun :)
Good luck to you!

Cheers.

quitou
09-07-2003, 09:44 AM
You just have to keep plugging away...everyone has bad days when they think they suck and are going to quit...you just have to keep practicing and playing and then when you have one of your great days when everything is working for you, all of the hard work will be worth it. That's something virgil said in the MD video, we're never happy with where we are...we always want to be able to do more...and it takes a lot of courage and dedication to keep going back and practing to get better. So keep your chin up alencore...keep playing and practicing and everything will start to get better....and when things go bad, just try to have fun with it anyways, afterall that's why we all play...because it's really, really, really FUN!!!

Me.2
09-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Read kenny werner's Effortless mastery book. Here a link to his his site:...Right here! (http://www.kennywerner.com)

BrettLee
09-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Failure is the pillar to success!.... I've gone thru such bad times with my band too.. But we all learn from our mistakes. No worries
alencore..

mauricio
09-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Hey....donīt worry alencore. I have a mp3 file from a dave matthews band concert where the band really fucks up after the second chorus in "rapunzel"....sounds horrible!!!!! e-mail me or icq me (168691454) if you want to check it out . Itīs a trainwreck, and it happens in front of at least 10,000 people!

I fucked up in live situations with one of my bands on more than one ocasion....i remember a particular gig from 00ī where we were playing in front of 200-250 people, there was a section that kept changing from 7/4 to 7/8, and the last measure was in 4/4....well i forgot that and played it as 7/8, and there was nothing the guys could do .....it sounded horrible....they kinda stopped, and I kept going...eventually they got back in the song and it went well...now I laugh about it, but i remember I was in panic!!!!!!!!

Since that incident Iīve been a lot LESS nervous!!!!!!!

quitou
09-07-2003, 09:07 PM
I can relate...I just played an outdoor gig today with a Jazz Big Band, and in the middle of our first set we got hit with a big wind storm...not like really crazy winds but enough to create some havoc. People's sheet music were flying everywhere, and music stands were falling over...at one point all my sheet music went flying as well...I just thought it was hilarious...there were a few times where I was laughing so hard I could barely play...I guess you could call it a small disaster, but all things considered we kept it together pretty well...and for the second set the wind died down so we made sure to make up for what happenned in the first set. I guess you just have to take it in stride...as with everything in life, there are many ups AND DOWNS with drumming...I just laughed about it, and moved on...there's no point in beating yourself up over something that's over and done with...learn from it and move on

alencore
09-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Tnx guys. I feel much better now.

The manager just called back and fingers are all pointed at me. Saying i sounded nervous making things rough especially the singer struggling bec. of it. well, he sure knows what he's dealing with coz i agree with him. i haven't mastered the songs full enough although i have some hidden drum charts to look at still playing them with ease wasn't there yet.

I also realized my darn ear plugs got in the way. I could barely hear the bass and the guitar. The club was loud but onstage it was a different story and using the same earplugs I've used since the 90's seems inappropriate with my new band and the sonic ambience of the stage. I was struggle hitting the drums since I could not feel them as well. They sounded so damp even though they are high end stuff. I could have use just cotton buds or just nothing at all. I've learn the hard way as usual.

My bandmates are so lonely now since we were hoping to get some slots on the club but I said to them, "babawi tayo!" meaning - we'll do good next time. But we need to work first.

So with that, life goes on.

Hip Alien
09-08-2003, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jonberg
[B]Alencore, donīt be so hard on yourself.
I know exactly how you feel, and I guess everyone else on this board knows it as well.
Everyone makes mistakes, even Virgil I guess...

Of course, even Virgil....he is afterall a Human being !

DavidPartay
09-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Alencore - your problem isn't your earplugs, it's the sound. If you can't hear everything properly WITH your earplugs then let the sound engineer know!

alencore
09-18-2003, 09:48 AM
yeah, the sound tech isn't supportive enough or just not well informed. but we will be jamming again on that club next month so hopefully things will get better.

Cheers!