PDA

View Full Version : Official releases with Virg,- how many?

morgenthaler
05-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Hi Guys!
How about trying to complete a list of Virgil material and maybe try to review them for the other board members??(Who might be so unfortunate not to have that specific cd or video etc.)
Iīll go home and check out how much officially released stuff I have, and maybe put on a couple of reviews.
Anyone care to do the same?

jimi
05-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Just put up a guide or points we should address when doing a review. I don't have the Obssessive Rhythms video, Freakhouse, Joel Hoekstra, Southern Sons, or other things like Tribal Tech and stuff but I do have a lot of stuff i can write about.
I think it's a good idea so can you go in to more detail Jeppe?
and you guys, why not join in the fun?

kirk
05-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Jeppe I am sure I do not have what you have. I have of course all the X recordings. And along with that Stretch, Just add water, OTV, Hoekstra, Walsh, Ring Of Fire, Some Southern Sons, Tribal Tech Bootlegs, Montreal Drum fest, Garsed and Helmerich and Have been able to download some clips from Alex Pertout and heard some Jon Stevens stuff awhile back, but there is alot more Virg has played on but it is very difficult to get some of it. I would like to hear the Vera Figuieirdo stuff and have heard the cyborg clip from Uncle Moes, The Mark boals stuff with virg is pretty cool and I saw that he did some work with Eric norlander on his concept album along with Greg Bissonette, heard a little of it it was O.K. the drumming was great but the cuts were roughcuts and the overall style I did not love.

Wish I knew more of Virgil's actual studio work. I always read that he worked with Branford Marsalis but I do not no on what.
Of course he worked with Tina Arena which I have heard a bunch of clips but do not know what exactly which ones Virg was on. Have also read that he did some work with Melissa Etheridge but again do not know what on.

Regards Kirk

morgenthaler
05-28-2003, 07:42 AM
what I meant was kind of this:

1978:Cloud Nine: rock on (never heard it)
1980:Taste:tickle your fancy (never heard it)
1981:Taste:knights of love (n h i)
1982:Peter Cupples:fear of thunder (n h i)
1983:Peter Cupples:Half the effort, twice the effect (n h i)
1984:Broderick smith: S/T ( n h i)
1988:The State:elementary (got it... not my favorite)
1989:Loose Change:live at the grainstore (got it!awesome fusion)
1990:Southern sons: S/T (nice pop...1 hit)
1992:Southern sons: Nothing but the truth (better than SS)
1992:Jesus christ superstar (got it... nice work!)
1993:Jon stevens:are u satisfied (n h i)
1995:Virgil Donati:stretch (absolute masterpiece)
1996:Southern sons:zone (my favorite SS album)
1997:Virgil Donati:just add water (crazy jam!)
1998:montreal drumfest (great solo...not his best though)
1999:Garsed/Helmerich:under the lash.. (king of neclect!!)
1999:Derek Sherinian:planet x (atlantis suite is born)
1999:OTV:serious young insects (my favorite!!!)
2000:Steve Walsh:glossolalia (nice steady work..awesome vocal)
2000:Mark Boals:Ring of fire (not my cup of tea)
2000:Joel Hoekstra:undefined (very much my cup of coffee)
2001:Planet X:universe (Dogboots and Chocolate)
2001:Uncle moes space ranch (kicks dennisīs ass)
2002:Ring of fire: the oracle (still not my cup of tea)
and so on.... any additions?

jimi
05-28-2003, 10:14 AM
1992: Power Drumming (Excellent insight)

2002: TUDW (Absolutely Brilliant!)

2002: Planet X: Moonbabies (WOW!)

2002: Ring of Fire: Dreamtower (quite good)

frank
05-28-2003, 10:59 AM
2001 (or 2002?) Planet X : Life from OZ (PERFECT live CD!!).

And how about Virgil with Tribal Tech.. there's a bootleg from it, I have 3 songs.. (Freaking GREAT!) Is that out on CD somewhere?

Holand
05-28-2003, 01:08 PM
WOW! That's quite a list. A lot longer than I've expected.

@Morgenthaler: I see you don't have all the albums on your list, but you have some titles that I've tried to find e.g. Loose Change, Southern sons, Garsed/Helmerich and Jesuschrist Superstar.
My question is; How/where did you get them?

jimi
05-29-2003, 03:05 PM
@frank: Live from Oz is released 2002 (how did i forget that one!)

Obsessive Rhythms: 1988/89? (don't have it)

@morganthaler: was cloud nine his actual first official release?

frank
05-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Obsessive Rythms was released 1989, I have the video, it's pretty cool. Such a shame I don't have a VCR.. :( :D I believe Origin and the end is on it somewhere too.. I can't believe Virgil never released that on an album! I've seen the video once, and then my VCR broke down.. probably couldn't handle the speed.. :P
anyway, it's pretty hilarious to see how Virgil starts the video, trying to look really cool and drumming, wearing a leather jacket!! Who on EARTH plays the drums wearing a heavy leather jacket? Pretty funny.. :D

BTW most of those albums and bands Virgil played on,.. I've never heard of them!! "Taste"? "Cloud Nine"? "The State"?
I knew he played on Jesus Christ Superstar.. I found out about that album on this site at his Discography (why isn't that discography COMPLETE?....), but the way it was indicated there, I thought that it was a second OTV album .. hehe.. stupid me.. :) anyway, I've searched for MONTHS, maybe YEARS, but I couldn't find it anywhere.. :|

jimi
05-31-2003, 02:30 AM
Is J.C.Superstar THAT good??

@frank: a second OTV album!! mmmmm:pOTV (drool). (Homer Simpson voice)

frank
05-31-2003, 11:51 AM
LMAO :D

D'oh!!!! ;)

I don't know if J.C.S. is THAT good, but I always though it was a 2nd OTV album.. which it's not of course.
Speaking of OTV... What's Virgil been up to lately? I've heard rumours that he's working on a new solo album.. can anyone confirm this? Could it really be true that my dream will come true? If he's making a new album, I think it'll be the BEST virg recording EVER.. or I hope so.. whatever.. :)

jimi
06-01-2003, 03:05 AM
Nice one! More rumours, Where are you Virg??
Even if there is only one song in the making i'd like to pre-order my copy now, please, thank you, woo-hoo!!

OTV2: Serious Adolescent Insects :-)

morgenthaler
06-02-2003, 06:39 AM
I donīt know if Cloud Nine is the first official release...
It is the first one I know of.
J C S is ok, I mean the music is not that exciting, but as usual Virgils performance is flawless.

frank
06-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Even if there is only one song in the making i'd like to pre-order my copy now, please, thank you, woo-hoo!!

Quantum Factor?

jimi
06-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Quantum should be on the new PX album! since virg said he ain't doing solo stuff for the while, and he let us know a studio version will be available of quantum factor soon, that should mean it will be on the new album (someone back me up!)

morgenthaler
06-14-2003, 09:26 AM
I am not sure he said soon...but you are right, he said that there WILL be a studio version of Q F, and that is absolutely great!