PDA

View Full Version : Virgil's "Moon Babies" kit specs...?

drumurderz
08-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Can someone please tell what type of kit, heads, cymbals, etc. Virgil used on the Moon Babies album or where I can find that information?

mauricio
08-31-2003, 11:37 AM
If i´m not mistaken, the july 02´ edition of Modern Drummer has an article about the Moonbabies sessions. I´m not sure they (Simon & Virgil) used the same specs for every song, but I can tell you that the heads on the toms were clear ambassadors top and bottom (virgil usully employs emperors live). I guess part of the record (at least up until moonbabies and ground zero) was played on a Premier kit, probably a gen-x or something like it - this is shown by the pics on MD - and part of the record (the last songs virgil recorded) was done using a Pearl kit. the Premier kit on the pics looks like virgil´s usual configuration, with the 12" and 10" toms inverted, 16" and 18" to his right and a 14" (perhaps 13") tom to his left, along with ths auxiliary 10" snare. There´s also a cowbell in the usual place of the second hi-hat, wich indicates the pics were taken during the recording of "Ground Zero".
Check the pics on the magazine for microphone selection and all of that.
I know this is higly imprecise, please check the magazine for a more reliable source of info. Perhaps Christopher or even Virgil himself can help you. I hope I created more doubt in your head :)

Holand
09-01-2003, 04:41 AM
It's actually the March 02' edition of modern drummer featuring Scott Phillips (creed) on the front page.

Cheers

mauricio
09-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks Holland, you´re correct.

drumurderz
09-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Actually, I've subscribed to modern drummer since 2000, and I do have that issue. I've read it a couple times in the past but it doesn't actually list out all of his specific kit specs like they usually do when they publish a big full length article like that. I found that to be kinda annoying. But anyways, I think if I email modern drummer about it they will tell me more about what I want to know. Thanks for your input guys.

jagdkommando
09-02-2003, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure ... but I think that there are some splashes involved (e.g. Moonbabies)

mauricio
09-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Yes there were splashes involved....from the top of my head I can remember them being used in moonbabies and 70VIR.

pearl_drummer
09-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Does he used Max Stax cymbals ... in Moonbabies and 70 VIR ... he use stacked cymbals ... is it only a Chinese with a crash or The Max Stax ?