PDA

View Full Version : Messugah

Milo Porto
08-29-2003, 01:49 AM
anybody here have an idea of MESSUGAH'S DRUMMER web site...*if any*

Me.2
08-29-2003, 10:59 AM
He doesnt appear to have a site of his own. there just seems to be Messugah.net for the band itself. :(

Fede
08-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Thomas Haake of Meshuggah does not have a site of his own AFAIK (and that's pretty far :o)

There's a bit about his cymbal setup at sabian.com and then there's www.meshuggah.net....

He is truly an amazing drummer. If you don't know Meshuggah, they're a thrash-band playing musical interpretations of a math (crash) course. A fellow once wrote somewhere on the Net that they make PanterA look about as technical as a ham & cheese sandwich.... As much as I love Pantera, I have to agree with this statement.

Meshuggah is very hard thrash, and very technical thrash - but not at all in the common "fast 4/4" way (nothing wrong with that, though). Meshuggah has always been about a very groovy, funky kind of thrash, not afraid of slower tempos, but with very complex polyrythms, unison phrases and stabs.....but still VERY hard metal, with vocals as thrash-brutal as they come.....like or not (I like it).

So if you like metal and you like Virgil, I'd say there's a very good chance that Meshuggah will be right up your alley.

I'd say start out with the 1995-album entitled "Destroy, Erase, Improve" which is by far their best work IMHO, then take it from there. That album is probably what I'd call the best album in the world, should I ever be forced to choose.... :o)

Especially the first track is incredible. Towards the end, Thomas somehow manages to put in fills where I would NEVER EVER have thought there was room to do so. I've never heard anyone (not even Virg!!) fit in as much in so little space and still have it sounding fantastic. The sound is also fabulous throughout the album.

DeepThought
08-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Tomas and Virgil are my main fave drummers. They redfined how I though of drums when I first heard their work!

Milo Porto
08-29-2003, 10:49 PM
thomas and virg...power!!

i like messugah cos of its odd time sigs that revolve around 4/4
its sooo interesting!!

kirk
08-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Those are fighting words Fede:D just joking of course. I like Thomas but his hands and feet well let's just say I will take Virgil's phrasing anyday. I like Thomas's polyrhythmic ability but Virgil's finesse, dexterity and fluidity are on another level. Thomas is a bit too heavy handed and footed for me. The refinement of Virgil's hands and feet are on another Planet, no pun intended. But Thomas is a very good drummer.

Regards Kirk

Fede
08-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I don't see the two as competitors in any way - miles apart. I completely agree that Virgil is technically superior (to anyone), but still he is no substitute for everything, and one such "thing", to me, is Thomas Haake.

Still, I will stand by the statement that some of the filling of the holes towards the end of "Future Breed Machine" is about as amazing as anything I've ever heard from Virgil or anyone!

BTW. For anyone who knows (and maybe loves) "Future Breed Machine" - check out the track "Futile Bread Machine" og maybe you can find it as "Future Breed Machine (Campfire Version)", if you don't know/have it already..... It's by the band themselves, with Thomas on vocals and besides being funny as hell, it's actually quite groovy!

Works best if you know the original track well - just like other kinds of parodies....

kirk
08-30-2003, 06:29 PM
I understand that they are not competitors, they are 2 very different drummers. My comment was in reply to the filling in of Thomas which implies phrasing to me. Which I think Virgil and Vinnie and Weckl and drummers of that stature are very superior but it is more about what hits us at the time and what sounds cool to us. Technically their phrasing is light years apart. Thomas is a good phraser but does not have the the whole amazing package when filling in, it is cool but lacks what I mentioned before. But hey again he is a very good drummer just different, and of course we like what we like and we have differing opinions which keeps this board and other good boards and music in general fresh and interesting and that is the way it should be.

Peace and regards Kirk

rythmtroll
09-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Chaosphere is the most insane metal record ever recorded on this planet. The rythms are so outstanding and tight. Persision metal at its finest. Fuck the rest!!!

rythmtroll
09-01-2003, 08:17 PM
I've also been listening to MESHUGGAH for a good 8 years now. Glad to hear that someone actually listens to GOOD metal. I 'll tell you this " It makes pop-metal look like FUCK ON A STICK. Sorry about the curse words Virgil. Favorite songs are" CORRIDOR OF CHAMELEONS" AND NEW MELLENIUM SYONIDE CHRIST" but they are all as equal. I love the Hostile vibes it gives off ....pumps me up through the roof.

Holand
09-02-2003, 08:44 AM
check out Fredrik Thordendal's solo album (if you heaven't already) called Sol Niger Within. I have mentioned it earlier in this forum, but it's worth repeting. It is the coolest mix between metal and jazz/fusion I've ever heard.
Thomas Haake appears on the disc too, but not behind the kit.
Morgan Ågren is the drummer and he does an exelent job. He may not be as hard hitting as Thomas, but his playing suits the music perfectly.

rythmtroll
09-04-2003, 01:49 AM
IM FOR SURE A DOSSILE DOG.!!!!!!!!!!!! RAVENOUS I TELL YOU!!!!!! RAVENOUS!!!!

rythmtroll
09-04-2003, 01:25 PM
FEDE? WHATS YOUR FAVORITE "CHAOSPHERE SONG"