PDA

View Full Version : Favorite solo(s)

morgenthaler
05-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Hi Folks!

Which is your favorite drumsolo by Virg?
I think Virgil is a fantastic performer, when he is let loose on his own, to explore the drumset
For example; I think the solo part of "the ninth insight" is just fabulous !
I think my personal favorite solo is the one on the Bootleg Clinic video tape from Connecticut.
Everything seems to work for him on that day!

What do you think?

Another fun subject would be fav. albums with Virgil!

OTV
Moonbabies
Undefined
& many more...

kirk
05-15-2003, 07:29 AM
That is such a difficult question to answer, SO! many great performances. From what I have heard some of his solo's during the Moonbabies tour were some of the best he has ever done.
Setting up some AMAZING interdependence grooves and soloing over them, wish I could of seen that and yeah the Conneticut video was fantastic, he was pulling out some WILD! stuff on that day. Was the solo you are referring to off the ninth insight, was that off the Obsessive tape? I saw him at PASIC and he was phenominal. He was pulling out some licks playing just his bass drum, hi-hat, snare and left floor tom and it was SICK! Some amazing tricks using his sticks on his hi-hat and on the post it self.
I heard his Italy clinic performance last year was on another level, wish I could of seen that. Cannot wait for the VAI DVD to come out.

OTV is just Outrageous, what an ORIGINAL and brilliant album and Moonbabies is Awesome. Virgil proves not only is he technically Phenomenal, but he can really GROOVE and play with great touch!
He makes even his more complex patterns FEEL REALLy good!
Again I cannot wait to hear the new Hoekstra album along with his next solo disc. I Love Just Add Water also what a unique and wonderful recording, amazing, knowing it was all spontaneous.

I would be curious to know what studio work Virgil actually is doing, what artists is he actually recording with in L.A. Something I would like to know.

Regards Kirk

morgenthaler
05-15-2003, 07:48 AM
No I thought about the track from Stretch called "The Ninth Insight" which feature a solo part. The track after Ninth Insight is the Ninth Insight Solo!

It is not his most outrageous work, but I like the fact that he is playing brushes (/ rods?) which you donīt see him do that often!
I am also looking forward to the Vai DVD... (Blackzoner from the xplanetx mess. board seemed to know the release date??)

The next Hoekstra disc will be stunning! I guarantee it!
I stumbled over a thread posted by T.J. Helmerich on Joelīs site, where he said that taping Virgils performance(nice job T.J.!!) for Joels new CD was simply amazing to witness!!

jagdkommando
05-15-2003, 09:50 AM
The best drum solo I heard/saw was the one in Padova/Italy. When I went through the town with Virgil I asked him about TUDW-Solo and he said "... the drum solo that I will play tonight will blow you away ... it will be much better, faster and visual than the one of TUDW...". It was funny to hear Virgil talking in such a way. And guys, I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN away. He twirled much more and longer than normally (he showed nearly ALL twirl tricks he knows). E.g. if you compare TUDW- and MD-Solo he does some twirling different (e.g. the amazing twirling in the end of MD-Twirling-Part he did do @ TUDW). In Italy He threw his sticks and while twirling the sticks hit each other and that noise was also a rythm ...

And the coolest twirlthing I saw was during his warm-up session where he practiced his twirling while standing behind the kit. He did it for about 10-15 minutes. And I was able to see that ... amazing.

I hope at sometime we can see that solo on a tape (he filmed it).

But I like all his drum-solos althaugh I only heard a few (there are many many more).

Another cool solo I heared was during Steve-Vai-European-Tour in Munich/Germany, where his left TOM and Cymbal went down. He didn't stop soloing but shouted sth very loud to his technical assistant (we could hear it without a mic). Then the technical assistant appeared and while Virgil kept on soloing the assistant solved the problems with the TOM etc. And then Virgil reused the whole kit again - very cool.

I don't want to bore you too much coz I already told that story @ PX-board I think and I don't want to intialize a WHO-IS-ABLE-TO-POST-LONGER-POSTS-THAN-BLACKZONER ;D.

Greets

jimi
05-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Jeppe, that IS a difficult question. Im still only taking in half the stuff he does, when i have time to spare, i sit down and watch his TUDW solo (and soon MD Fest.) or i lie in bed and put on albums/solos.
At the moment, i'm trying to take in what i can from his Hamburg half hour(!) solo. This is a great example of limb independence that kirk mentioned.
I've noticed that when i listen to some aspects or see them, they look normal, but the speed/power you need to pull it off is unbelievable! Like when he does consecutive snare hits while spinning the opposite stick in his hand. Take the tempo from Power Drumming bass drums and try it!
In other words, i find all of his solos interesting:)

kirk
05-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Your right Jeppe about the solo with the brushes off of Stretch, was a nice change up to what he usually does. What I really get into about Stretch is the variation of the tracks. Something is always different.

Regards

chucho
05-15-2003, 03:19 PM
I dunno tough call, but dog boots is insane :cool:

DoubleBass_Rob
05-16-2003, 04:21 PM
The TUDW solo was awesome, I'd really like to see that "better" one. I almost know the TUDW solo off by heart. (can't play it of course, I've just seen it so many times).

jimi
05-17-2003, 02:16 AM
If you get to see him live, especially in a clinic, (or maybe when he releases a new solo album :-) you'll never EVER forget it!
A year on from TUDW, id say Virg is absolutely ripping his kit apart with sick solos!

DoubleBass_Rob
05-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by jimi
A year on from TUDW, id say Virg is absolutely ripping his kit apart with sick solos!

I beg to differ. I've been told these days he's had to cut his solos short due to shoulder problems. I believe this is because of the trad grip. Hence, guys like Dom Famularo and Sam Aliano are not only switching to match grip, but also open handed playing.

jimi
05-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Right, thats bad news:-(
but thanks for the info.

morgenthaler
05-19-2003, 08:15 AM
I can reasure you that Virgil is doing just fine!
His own words: "Iīve never been stronger and fitter"
So no problems there.

zoso
05-19-2003, 08:23 AM
DOG BOOTS!

Virgil
05-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi guys, just heard a rumour that I have a bad shoulder. Why am I always the last to know??? Hang on a minute let me check to make sure...
hmmm...everything seems to be fine.

DeepThought
05-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Virgil
Hi guys, just heard a rumour that I have a bad shoulder. Why am I always the last to know??? Hang on a minute let me check to make sure...

There you have it folks! :)

My fave solo was the one I saw during a PX show @ Jaxx in Virginia. He went totally full blast the whole time, it was amazing to watch!:eek:

I went to go see him there with CAB, having heard he was doing awesome 15 minute solos.. but the shopw was cancelled after the opening band. I did get Virgil to sign some pics for my friends, but Tony didn't have a pen...:(

What happened at the show, Virgil?

jimi
05-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Great news Virgil!! You had me worried there that by the time i get to America to see you, you'd be taking a break cos of your 'bad' shoulder :-(

jagdkommando
05-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Cool ... I never expected, that Virgil will ever post sth :) ... so to force him post sth we only have to post wrong rumors :) ... what of course we should never do.

jimi
05-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Good one jagdkommando!! Nah seriously Virgil, we all wish you the best of health :-)

morgenthaler
05-20-2003, 04:20 AM
I donīt suspect that Doublebass_Rob told this little lie on purpose, but all of you guys, shouldnīt we try to stay clear of those loose rumors, such as: "well I KNOW that Virgil is doing a new solo release this year", when in fact no-one really knows??
Hey Blackzoner! How much do you REALLY know about the Vai DVD? I am seriously looking forward to it!

jagdkommando
05-20-2003, 06:15 AM
For me I can say that I never say ... I KNOW sth (except the thing with trad grip twriling) ... I always say e.g. "he said sth like this: ..." or "I heard" or "I read".

About the VAI-DVD e.g. "I think" it will be released, because Steve Vai has a screenshot on his webside showing "editing his dvd" ... see http://www.vai.com/updates/index.html

And I never guess posts about releases etc. till a release takes place :)

kirk
05-20-2003, 06:33 AM
The Vai DVD is mentioned openly by Guys associated with Vai all over his own site and many there have stated that it is slated for a fall release but hey things can change maybe it will be early or maybe it will be late. As far as his solo work I clearly said I read this from a Japanese interview where the interview says HE stated he was working on this project so if you believe they are reputable then sure it was probably said, does that mean it will happen for sure no! it might, it might not. How many times have artists SAID they would like something to be out at a certain time or it will be out and then it gets pushed back once or twice , happens quite abit thats for sure. Part of the business. We just go along with the flow unless something is WAY!! off like years.
Joel Hoekstra said his album would probably be out in a few weeks but it has been longer than a few weeks but I am sure it will be out sooner rather than later, I hope so anyways.

Regards Kirk

morgenthaler
05-20-2003, 07:12 AM
I hear you Kirk.

I am just thinking about a tendency in this business where rumors tend to fly.
For example in the mid eighties where Steve Gadd died almost every 3rd week! I am not even exaggerating!
Ofcourse people should feel free to pass on every bit of info they have every reason to believe is truthful!!
My only issue was that it is ok to be just a tiny bit critical as to what one passes on, but maybe it came out wrong.
Best regards,
Morgenthaler

kirk
05-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Point well taken Jeppe. Your right, I am even becoming somewhat
hesitant to take the artists word on certain things not that I do not believe them as far as content but when it comes to something coming out at this or that time I take it with a grain of salt because many times it just does not happen, and of course that is O.K. because hey it is part of the overall business, there are so many factors in the whole music industry and you cannot control all them and these guys deal with so much we do not know about, so I give them alot of Grace. But when someone is WAY OFF that is another deal all together.

Hey by the way Jeppe you mentioned a comment Vinnie C. made about getting his Butt kicked in a good way when he watches Virgil at the potato, where did you read or hear that at. That is an amazing comment from someone with Vinnie's stature. I know Vinnie digs Virgil but I never heard that one before, great to know.

Best regards Kirk

morgenthaler
05-20-2003, 09:29 AM
I heard it from a guy who actually talked to Vinnie AT the Baked Potato THAT VERY NIGHT where Virgil played!
One lucky fella! Hearing Virgil playing his butt off, and talking with Vinnie about it in the Bar! (I think it was a CAB show....canīt remember the date)

I am not 100 % on the words, but it was something to the effect that he loved to hear such a talent, and someone who could really kick his own ass. I donīt know if he ment that this is a rare thing ( I mean someone kicking Vinnies ass) but it really is!! Vinnie must love to hear a guy like Virgil, who is on the same page...especially regarding "off he rail phrasing" as Brian Beller puts it!

By the way... I am going to help Joel Hoekstra with some distribution of his new album, so I will let you guys know as soon as I have any news about it! (e.g. an official release date!!)

All the best,
Morgenthaler

DoubleBass_Rob
05-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Virgil

Glad I'm wrong.

zoso
05-22-2003, 08:02 AM
VIRGIL DONATI RULES!!!
I like his hands freedom of play, he play rigid, like he knows what he is hitting...and know how to hit

Grzegorz
05-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Anybody could sell/trade some Virgil's clinics, concerts, etc.? I saw him live only one time: when he was in Poland - two clinics and one concert... That was amazing! It changed my point of view on the drummin' (the prelude to this change was Cezary Konrad clinic)... The greatest Drummer I've ever seen!!!

zoso
05-25-2003, 06:29 PM
i can....have planet x live on bulgaria ...vcd
you can add me to msn messenger..if you want a trade...
my mail is zoso_86@hotmail.com

frank
05-31-2003, 12:09 PM
That PX in Bulgaria video... I have it too.. during his solo the movie ends... :(:( SOOOO STUPID!! A few seconds before it stops, there is some stupid Coca Cola advertising, but you still hear him soloing, and you hear him drumming some weird stuff on the snare drum while hitting his sticks to eachother really fast... I saw that a few years ago during his solo at the PX universe tour, and was stunned but never heard/saw it again.. and now, I STILL don't know what he did and how he did it... such a shame!!
Virgil knows so many tricks, weird things and sick stuff, he could probably fill an entire DVD with just drums and leave everyone jaw-dropped and shocked!!! Anyone ever seen Virgil's stick twirling while he hits the cymbals and plays really fast bassdrums? Rediculous! He's either a machine or an alien!

DoubleBass_Rob
06-01-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by frank
He's either a machine or an alien!

Neither, he's Australian :D :D :D

morgenthaler
06-02-2003, 07:07 AM
Good point D B Rob!!
Hey by the way...Do you know any of the older stuff with Virg??
I am thinking Cloud Nine, Taste, Peter Cupples, Jon Stevens and so on!!
It seems impossible to track these down.

Christopher
06-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Did you ever hear Jon Stevens, Jeppe? - It's some really cool pop music. Great recording. Unfortunately, I dont have a copy myself. :(

morgenthaler
06-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Nope Chris..never did.
I have done serious research as to finding some of the older stuff. I recently got the Judith Durham record with 2 tracks of Virg. The style is very pop, but he lays it down for sure.
But the Jon Stevens is supposed to be very cool...... Wish I had it.

Ferroni
06-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I think that the interdipendence work on "Ground Zero" it is something that I never eard before in my life!
Thanks Virgil.

alencore
07-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Man this guy is just awesome.

morgenthaler
07-08-2003, 04:29 AM
To get back to the topic just a little... I just watched the Percussion Groove in 4/4 from the Powerdrumming video the other night...... Extreme!
He does some insanely fast bur precise moves, and his ideas seem to flow like a fast river.
This is another of my absolute favorite solos from Virg!!

Ferroni
07-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Yo' Right morgenthaler!!

alencore
07-10-2003, 10:42 AM
during VD clinic here in the Phils he had some pesky monitor problem but still he played the song so accurate my drum teacher just couldn't beleive it. VD was just wearing these ear plugs as much i could see since i was sitted upfront during that awesome performance he still manage to pull.

morgenthaler
07-16-2003, 03:30 AM
The solo in "Homework" from Joel Hoekstras "Undefined" is awesom....The bassdrum sound is so crazy, but I LOVE IT!!

rythmtroll
07-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Even though its a very short solo I would have to say that the drum break in CLONUS is one of my favorites. It pretty much said to me"This albums gonna kick some DOUBLE BASS ASS!!!" You know what I mean. The one bar D-B fill right after the tom rolls that shred the drums to pieces. OH YEAH!!And we Cant forget about "Dog Boots" can we now. rythmtroll here signing out

morgenthaler
08-13-2003, 06:43 AM
I had the exact same feeling when listening to Clonus for the first time rythmtroll!

kirk
08-13-2003, 09:18 AM
On the new Hoekstra disc there are 2 song's where Virg get's about a 15-20 second solo spot over the band vamping. Man oh man the Bass Drum-tom combo's with alternate sticking's thrown in are flat out stunning, the speed, fluidity and dexterity is down right scary, the way he thinks when he phrases is so deep(he is thinking I got to lay this down with some real creativity and complexity but it has got to groove, must sound good as it being complex) must of been why T.J. helmerich was laughing his Butt off! while watching Virg when he was laying down his tracks.

Kirk

morgenthaler
08-14-2003, 06:31 AM
I am soooo looking forward to that disc........

vdreignsuponus1
12-24-2003, 09:05 AM
virgil donati with a bad shoulder?! pls, what a load of bs! ur invincible man!:D

besides, a drummer like u with a bad shoulder, i'd cry myself to sleep every night.:(

alencore
02-01-2005, 08:52 AM
hehehe, the Man is funny.

Johan_Bjorkman
02-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Live at Astoria is a great solo I think. But many others too.

jperrau10v
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
For me, maybe I would say in CD planetX live at Oz...
and for videos: TuDW or the solo He did in Montreal in 2004..