PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to NAMM this year?

Christopher
01-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a quick thread to ask those who are going to NAMM in 2 weeks.

I will be hanging out all day and I will be at the Pearl Booth with Virgil on Saturday, January 22nd, 2005 @ 11:00AM where he will be performing. I just found out that he will be playing inside a noise booth with speakers coming out where people can come and check it out. It should be great for everyone who is attending the show.

If anyone here is going, please let me know. It's always great to put some faces next to the nicknames here on the board!

RadZS
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
i should be there....are you going to the CAB show saturday night at the Baked Potato?

the scottster
01-08-2005, 03:15 AM
my drum teacher will be their, on behalf of sabian cymbals www.danielluttick.com

davidseung
01-08-2005, 05:12 AM
^^^ what the hell...

guys.. seriously have a look at the video clip on that site...

Christopher
01-08-2005, 10:47 AM
i should be there....are you going to the CAB show saturday night at the Baked Potato?
No RadZS, I won't be at the Baked Potato that night. I will only be hanging out at NAMM all day. Virgil will be playing at the GC Drumoff later that day/night at the Wiltern Theatre.

palmerlouie
01-08-2005, 10:57 AM
so is it just the pearl booth and the drum-off where virgil will be performing....nothing else around namm?? how long will virgil be playing at the pearl booth?

and how do you book tickets for the drum-off?

nevesis
01-08-2005, 11:20 AM
^^^ what the hell...

guys.. seriously have a look at the video clip on that site...

Biggest Virgil rip off I have ever seen in my entire life.

kirk
01-08-2005, 12:26 PM
He is very remeniscent of Virgil and is very good but is not in Virgil's class at all. I can explain why but do want to spend my time pointing out all the differences. I have seen a few guy's on this site who are as impressive technically but are not clone's. He need's to achieve his own identity. Why does someone want to mirror someone that much but yet not play on their level it seem's like a waste of time.

frank
01-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Well excuuuuuuuuse me but I think Daniel Luttick is a good drummer! I sent him an email once, because I read on his site that he and his band play PX and DT covers too.. He emailed me back and said that they play dogboots and atlantis..

well sorry but if you can play those songs, you're GOOD!

'the scottster' is lucky to have such a good drum teacher IMO.

I also dig the solo clip!

vdreignsuponus1
01-08-2005, 02:15 PM
always so far!!:(

davidseung
01-08-2005, 03:21 PM
i still can't believe it..

its like...

he even looks a bit like virgil...

and all the excercises on his site are typed out exactly in virgils style...

his kit is setup exactly like virgil except in left handed style.

sorry.. this is just my opinion.... not saying that it's a bad thing or anything, but i've always believed that having your own spin in your playing is important.. basing your chops on other's chops is fine because learning from mentors is important... but becoming an exact clone or wanting to become a clone is not a good thing IMO. you really gotta play it your way, or play your own interpretation of it... i don't admire drummers that just regurgitate other drummer's chops... especially when they ALL belong to the same drummer.

he is a hell of a good drummer.... it takes skill to learn virgil's chops.... i admit that.

kirk
01-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Yes he is good that is not the point, be yourself is the point. He is not in Virgil's league, so why as I said mirror yourself that much to someone else while not acheiving the same level technically and creatively, what do you have to show that is YOUR OWN, not much. We can all cop lick's after awhile but we have to create an identity. Jonberg's clip showed at times a strong influence coming from Virg and Vinnie but he established his own identity at the same time. In the clip he(Daniel) played certain lick's but NOT with the same complexity or power or speed or dexterity or groove and it was very repetitive, yes VERY good but it is just copying the same lick's and not doing it as well. I am still looking for an original identity. I have seen guy's play JUST like Weckl(and play VERY well) as far as copping the same lick's and pattern's and Vinnie also but not doing it AS well and it does nothing for me why because the original IS BETTER! Again the point is not the ability(Daniel is Very talented) FEW if any have the same overall ability as Virg or Vinnie but when you take the influences and make yourself(your own identity) that SHINES through bright and clear and the fact that you are not as technically able does not matter nearly as much.

morgenthaler
01-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Just to give him some credit....
He IS ozzy! He was growing up with Virgil as his main influence.
I think he has still time to grow out of that shadow.

Both Gary Novak and Jojo Mayer (especially Gary) actually came on the scene as almost pure Weckl clones. But they where slowly but surely, over time, put in other musical settings that shaped them into what they are now.

I say give him a break,- he's a young OZ kid.
I still have to agree with Kirk, Jonbergs clip showed unbelievable maturity and identity.
I actually have had that maingroove in 6/8 (though simple in it's form) stuck in my brain for the last few days. Great job on his part.

kirk
01-08-2005, 05:43 PM
I am really blown away by some of the guy's on this board like Jonberg and Palmerlouie(a frequent poster at HOD by the way :D )because even though these guy's are still pretty young Louie is only 20(WOW!) I think and Jonberg not much older, they have achieved a pretty high level of technical ability(and even a genuinely diverse stylistic ability) BUT!! they play with maturity and even NOW! are forging their own identity(that is what really blows me away) even though influenced by guy's like Virg, Vinnie, Dave etc. I have to give them props for their overall accomplishments and cannot wait to hear more from them down the road. Jon just knocked me out with his clip, it was just a taste but it was enough to seewhat is REALLY going on with him. Palmerlouie's clip showed great diversity and and overall ability and he is YOUNG MAN scary stuff. Nevesis is a very talented young drummer and the more I see the more I see him coming into his own niche, taking his influences and beginning to really carve out his own identity even though his influnces are clear. I am sure Daniel can do that down the road also cannot wait to see it because he has the technical ability to do great thing's.

Kirk

Christopher
01-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Ok guys, back to the topic. Who else will be at NAMM? :)

kirk
01-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Not me! Wish I could. Lot of guy's from the HOD board will be there as well. Would be fun.

Kirk

the scottster
01-10-2005, 01:54 AM
He is very remeniscent of Virgil and is very good but is not in Virgil's class at all. I can explain why but do want to spend my time pointing out all the differences. I have seen a few guy's on this site who are as impressive technically but are not clone's. He need's to achieve his own identity. Why does someone want to mirror someone that much but yet not play on their level it seem's like a waste of time.

Look here Kirk. You think you can jugde someone merely on a video on a website. You have no idea what you are talking about. That video was from a gig he played opening for the Sam aliano band. He was only 21 at the time. That solo Infact put sam off doing a solo in his final gig in Australia. Undoubtably my drum teacher and friend daniel will make it. As for not being in Virgils league it is very hard being in one of your teachers leagues. I am not in daniels, and probably never will be but hope to play along side him, as daniel would perhaps want to play along side virgil. I dont recall daniel saying he wanted to mirror virgils moves and we talk alot so i dont know who told you??? You and your posts are a waste of time!!
Enjoy spending the rest of your life on Internet forums. Good day Sir!!

the scottster
01-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Biggest Virgil rip off I have ever seen in my entire life.

Maybe, but hes actually won competitions and won endorsements unlike you. and is now advertised for using vater sticks in drum magazines. He has a very successful teaching career at the moment and very promising playing career ahead of him. what have you got? Are you endorsed by Premier drums Sabain cymbals Vater sticks or protection racket cases?? nah i didnt think so so quiet please nevises i dont want another arguement.

morgenthaler
01-10-2005, 04:08 AM
Well scottster, you are kinda looking at an argument, with that type of post.
I totally see where you are coming from, though. You know Daniel personally, unlike the rest of us, so you know more about him and his views on drumming.
That said, you can't argue with the fact that the clip showed Daniel playing in a style and with elements so close to Virgils that even my mom would recognize it!
I personally don't have a problem with this. He's a young drummer, obviously heavily influenced by Virgil, and he still has time to grow out of that shadow. Please drop the harsh comments, - I know I speak for most here when say that these types of bitter remarks won't fit in here.

Oh and... NO unfortunately I wont be at NAMM.
( In the voice of Eric Cartman: ) Dammit!

All the best,

kirk
01-10-2005, 10:47 AM
I am not going to argue with you. The fact is what I said was right. I was not harsh or nor was I derogatory, it was the truth. I have seen OTHER clips of him playing and it was the same. Almost a complete copy of one's licks. That being said I also pointed out he was a VERY good drummer that needed to mold his own identity. There are other guy's his age, as I said that are technically as good and are doing that very well. Why does it have to be a put down to say be more of your own drummer. Other guy's have posted clips and have asked for comments and other's have told them the same(not me I might Add). They did not FLIP out, well most did not. And apart from the main point being endorsed does not make you Great, lot's of endorsed artist's could not play their way out of a wet paper bag, Daniel happen's to be a very talented drummer, so the endorsments are cool. Guy's younger than him are endorsed also by the way, good for them also.

On another point, Whether I am endorsed by someone(I could care less does not mean I do not know what I am talking about) when someone posts clips and say's this guy is this or that well feedback is going to come. I have no way to post clips of myself if I did than I would expect feedback one way or another. Again good luck to Daniel in the future and you also Scottster he is a very talented drummer and whether you or I think this or that I am sure he will be successful.

Kirk

the scottster
01-10-2005, 02:21 PM
thats cool. :)

the scottster
01-10-2005, 02:24 PM
thats cool. :)
but i never posted daniels video wanting feedback it just had his details of the NAMM show on his update page.
Where did you see other vids from him ?? Im not aware there are any more on the net.

the scottster
01-10-2005, 02:24 PM
oopss sorry bout double post ohh man now its a triple post .

kirk
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
At least a year ago there was another performance of Daniel's on the net, I actually had it on my hard drive for awhile, might of even been here not sure it was longer than this one. I have surfed hundred's of sites that are drumming related. It was very good but very simialr in content.

Kirk

nevesis
01-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Its funny because a few days ago I was thinking in my head about that video of a dude who looked and copied Virgil exactly, and then when the scottster posted that link and I checked it out it was exactly what I was thinking of.

He is a great drummer and everything, but its 100% fact he has no individuality. Thats why he will never make it. Sure he has endorsements and such because he has talent, but you can't take any pride in being a carbon copy of someone else. Even his website looks like Virgil's in similiar ways. Its scary.

D. Slam
01-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Ok Chris, I will. I just want to make one quick comment on this young man.... I watched the clip and what I heard was a lot of drum flailing.... I guess that accounts for something. I guess it's some what flatterinng to Virgil to a point. I would imagine though it's got to be a bit uncomfortable when someone starts combing their hair like you and starts emulating the way you look... Is he good? I don't know. Again, all I heard was flailing chops all over the place from that clip.

Yes, I try and emulate Virgil to a point. It only helps my playing. But I also do this with other drummers as well... And I understand that we already have a Virgil. It's ok that he's a hero of yours, he's definately a hero of mine no doubt.

If I could give this kid any advice though it would be to find out what YOU are all about... Be yourself. As cold and hard as it may sound, Nevesis is right! Until he finds his own Identity, he most definately will not go very far. I mean cmon, not only is he setting up and trying to play like Virgil, he's trying to look like him too! That IS scary! And besides it's like Kirk said, why emulate someone to that extreme and then fall way short of the mark???

A work in progress I guess.

Ok Chris, I'm done. I really do want to go to the NAMM show. I've never been to one. I hear you have to have some connections to get in there though! I have none... I really want to attend this one because I want to see Virgil of course, and Billy Cobham is palying there with his Spectrum Band: Frank Gambale, Tom Coster and Victor Baily. They put on an incredible show in Diamante Italy August 4th. If there is any way possible, I will be there.

Don.

the scottster
01-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok Chris, I will. I just want to make one quick comment on this young man.... I watched the clip and what I heard was a lot of drum flailing.... I guess that accounts for something. I guess it's some what flatterinng to Virgil to a point. I would imagine though it's got to be a bit uncomfortable when someone starts combing their hair like you and starts emulating the way you look... Is he good? I don't know. Again, all I heard was flailing chops all over the place from that clip.

Yes, I try and emulate Virgil to a point. It only helps my playing. But I also do this with other drummers as well... And I understand that we already have a Virgil. It's ok that he's a hero of yours, he's definately a hero of mine no doubt.

If I could give this kid any advice though it would be to find out what YOU are all about... Be yourself. As cold and hard as it may sound, Nevesis is right! Until he finds his own Identity, he most definately will not go very far. I mean cmon, not only is he setting up and trying to play like Virgil, he's trying to look like him too! That IS scary! And besides it's like Kirk said, why emulate someone to that extreme and then fall way short of the mark???

A work in progress I guess.

Ok Chris, I'm done. I really do want to go to the NAMM show. I've never been to one. I hear you have to have some connections to get in there though! I have none... I really want to attend this one because I want to see Virgil of course, and Billy Cobham is palying there with his Spectrum Band: Frank Gambale, Tom Coster and Victor Baily. They put on an incredible show in Diamante Italy August 4th. If there is any way possible, I will be there.

Don.

Hes not droping far from any mark, and as far as trying to look like vrigil what the hell are you talking about? Nevises is wrong, and so are you. Daniel already i making a name for himself so he is going far. D slam who are you to give advise,really?? Maybe you should read some of Dom famularos comments about daniel, someone who is of very high relevence in drumming community im sure hed rather take Doms advise over yours any day. Sorry to sound rude.

This thread has gone way off topic. I never asked for feedback or anything, just merely stated he was going to the NAMM show

D. Slam
01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Scottster,

Try not to be angry... It doesn't matter who I am. I saw the clip and I wasn't impressed. Don't waste your time posting arguments to people like me.... You're not going to change my mind. Just like I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that my feelings are right... I said what I said, I meant it and that's that. If what Daniel does and the way he looks is cool with you then that's all that matters. Be content in that. You don't have to argue your case to anyone!

Oh and I'll let you in on a little secret, as good and as well known as Dom is, his opinion is only just that, his opinion. I have had personal debates with Gary Husband about some of his views... So, big deal what Dom thinks.

Understand, I'm not saying the kid can't play. I'm just saying that clip wasn't anything for me to write home about. If you don't want feedback, then don't post access to sound clips. This is a drummers chat forum and that's just part of what we all do here.

D.

cjcdrums
01-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Well said, D Slam. If you post a link with audio and video, what do you expect to happen on a messageboard? Also, why get defensive? They are not critizing you, and try to see both sides of the issue being debated. "We" have no personal connection with him so we're going to be brutally honest. Nothing personal, you understand. By the way, that guy is pretty awesome, Virgil's "mini-me" or not.

D. Slam
01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I just want to say one more thing concerning this. I've always tried to look at the arts from the platform of one's ability to execute on their instrument from right where they are. It doesn't matter to me if they have ten endorsements and a mega record deal or if they've never made it out of the confines of their own garage.

It always puzzles me and makes me smile a bit when I hear people use one's status and position as a bench mark for being a good player. When in reality, all it really means is that the industry sees you as a marketable commodity, and that doesn't necessarily mean that you play well.

Kirk said: "There are guys with endorsements that couldn't play their way out of a paper bag." This is true. If fame and noteriety is the criteria for being a great perfomer, then there's an endless list of great musical artists... We can start with Britney Spears or Puffy Combs, Ashley Simpson, The Back street Boys, Little Bow-wow....... Need I really go on? You all can add your own names to this list of "greats" that you know of.

I admit, how nice it would be to have just a few of the perks. I have none of them..... But!!! I CAN play the drums, and have been doing so continually for 38 years. And not having a record deal, equipment endoresments and noteriety doesn't deminish that fact anymore than by having them says you can play.

Thanks for reading guys.

D.

jimi
01-11-2005, 04:16 PM
The wisedom on this board is just great!! Very interesting reading ...

stapper15
01-11-2005, 06:31 PM
i wish i could go but my drum teacher is going. hes also preforming there to with Greg Howe i think thats how you spell his name? and the bass player from Tony Roster jr band.
i dont know if there is any information about them on his website but there might be
www.billyashbaugh.com

stappy

cjcdrums
01-11-2005, 07:43 PM
OH MY GOD! That guy is the biggest clone of the N*SYNC drummer I've ever seen! What a rip-off! That guy sucks! :D

stapper15
01-11-2005, 08:26 PM
haha lol omg i know

morgenthaler
01-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Just checked out Daniels biography....Kinda reminded me of something I had read before.... :
DANIELS:

Daniel is known amongst colleagues, students and
friends as a near obsessive drummer who continually
strives to push his limits and boundaries behind the
drumset

Daniel is establishing himself as a premier session and touring drummer in his Australian homeland, having worked with such Australian pop legends as Johnny Young, Normie Rowe and Marcie Jones, establishing his own progressive fusion act Xtreme Measures...

And now an outtake of a couple of Virgils bios....

....Virgil has become known as a near-obsessively disciplined player who sets herculean standards for himself.

Virgil Donati established himself as a premier session and touring drummer in his native Australia. He’s been a member of fusion groups Loose Change and On The Virg, a founding member of Southern Sons....

Come on Daniel, theres no need to copy EVERYTHING!

Jeppe Morgenthaler

kirk
01-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Yeah I know Morg, It get's more than a little ridiculous. Copping someone's else's own statement's. I guess the thought is,just copy this guy(try as you might)and I will have the same success. Sorry it does not work that way. You have to do a lot more than that to get even near Virgil's level.

Kirk

KennyMMX
01-13-2005, 02:05 PM
i'll be at NAMM