PDA

View Full Version : Drummer who had first impact on you?

kirk
08-21-2003, 10:22 PM
It is funny to think back years ago to the late seventies and remember when I first was drawn to the drums. I listened to alot of my Dad's music. He had alot of everything, James Taylor,Croce
CCR, but I was into his Elton John and his drummer Nigel Olson really played well. His drumming was infectious and he was the one who got me thinking about drumming. From there it was Bruford,Carl Palmer, Gadd, Steve Smith with Journey and of course Neil Peart. It is amazing to see how I got from there to here and all the other drummers in between. All of them had a huge impact and they all contributed.

Kirk

Hip Alien
08-21-2003, 11:55 PM
My parents brought me to a 'Buddy Rich And His Big Band' concert in 1978 when i was 14 yrs old, and that completely convinced me to learn to play drums ! He truly had an impact on me.

Me.2
08-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Sadly my first influence was the two drummers from Gary glitters glitter band. Plenty of floor tom work and less hi hats as i recall.

Heading off to Brian downey of thin lizzy...and simon kirke of bad co (ex Free)......then onto Peart when Hemisheres hit town..through bonham and narada,,,,,but Billy C made the biggest impact..when i bought Spectrum.....I still class it as the ultimate fusion album EVER and ALWAYS will,,,,still sounds fresh to me even now.

Then hit the session players and sadly have read back covers to see whos on albums ever since. :(

Apart from the drummers,..... a whole flux of other musicians are just as inspirational to me on other instruments.

quitou
08-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Well I'm afraid to say it for fear of getting verbally abused, but Lars Ulrich was the guy that got me into drumming. I went to a Metallica concert saw Lars playing and figured I'd love to do that. Shortly after I started playing I discovered Neil Peart and he was a massive influence and still is to this day. In my early years of playing I was really into heavy metal so I really liked Dave Lombardo from slayer and Vinnie Paul from Pantera as well. As I became more familiar with other drummers and different styles of music, obviously my influences changed to include some the better drummers out there.

peter
08-22-2003, 08:34 AM
1. Michael Shrieve
2. Buddy Rich
3. Ed Shaughnessy
4. Carl Palmer
5. Bill Bruford
6. Billy Cobham
7. Tony Williams
8. Steve Gadd
9. Vinnie Coliauta
9. Terry Bozzio
10. Gerry Brown
11. Dave Weckl
12. Dennis Chambers
13. Akira Jimbo
13. Virgil Donati
14. Horacio Hernandez (El Negro)
15. Mike Mangini

Hip Alien
08-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Hip Alien
My parents brought me to a 'Buddy Rich And His Big Band' concert in 1978 when i was 14 yrs old, and that completely convinced me to learn to play drums ! He truly had an impact on me.

Current influences:

Vinnie,Terry,Virgil,Rod,Jojo,Simon,Chambers,DiMaggio...

Past influences (but still stong):

Barriemore,Peart,Paice,Burr,Mike Clark...

jonberg
08-22-2003, 09:13 AM
One of the first drummers I got to hear and get inspired from was Dave Weckl, I really wanted to be a drummer so I bought everything with him and from there it just has expand to:
-Vinnie Colaiuta
-Simon Philips
-Steve Gadd
-Buddy Rich
-Steve Smith
-Tony Williams
-Akira Jimbo
-Dennis Chambers
-Terry Bozzio

...and now the last 3-4years.
-Marco Minneman
and of course, the man himself...Virgil Donati.

jimi
08-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I first heard dave grohl but jimmy chamberlain got me really into wanting to learn the drums, i went to portnoy for a while and the minute i heard Virg, no-one else could ever equal my interest in his drumming!!

Me.2
08-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Not even Animal jimi! :)

kirk
08-23-2003, 12:40 AM
How can I forget about Animal off the Muppet Show. That was the first time I ever saw the Over handed bowling technique used by anyone. Animal was quite good at it. He was quite dangerous till he got the hang of it though. He was one heck of a drummer at the same time. I think Keith Moon was an influence or maybe the other way around.

Kirk

Matias
08-23-2003, 09:57 AM
I think the main influence i had was Mike Portnoy, he made me change my drumming style; but then Virgil and Minneman appeared, and it was the second great change on me.

alencore
08-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Ringo Star!

jimi
08-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Animal and Virg could do some killer clinics together:D

Adam
08-24-2003, 12:17 PM
JIMMY CHAMBERLIN! For the first 3 years of my drumming life I thought he was the only drummer worth listning to, and then I started branching off and found Danny Carey (not as good as Jimmy in my opinion), wich got boring fast and now my biggest influences are Virgil, Weckl, and John Riley...etc...I actually like jazz a lot more than rock now and so it's opened a world of great drummers.

slamnovalis
08-24-2003, 07:38 PM
for me, it was definitely sean kinney, then danny carey, then portnoy. portnoy has had the greatest effect on me.

jimi
08-25-2003, 02:18 AM
@adam: Do you really think danny carey gets boring fast?? i really like 'Lateralus' and im sure the next album will have some interesting drumming too.

frank
08-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Mike Portnoy... :o
I was about 14 years old when I got into dream theater. I was convinced that MP was the best drummer EVER, but then Derek started PX and I heard Virgil... I was shocked, embarressed, impressed and happy at the same time..
drumz rule!!! \m/

bevs_joey
04-09-2005, 05:49 PM
i would have to say Joey Jordison ;) and Lars :o *emabarresed* as far as i can remember.

GreenPremier
04-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm embarrassed to say that it was Lars and Scott Phillips! :o

cjcdrums
04-09-2005, 07:36 PM
John Dolmayan from System of a Down and Chad Smith were my very very first influences after I got my kit.

Protactinum
04-09-2005, 08:52 PM
joe satriani's jeff campitelli inspired me to get serious about the drums because he looked so happy playing on stagel i realized i would be happy as a musician/(engineer)

SunDemon18
04-09-2005, 10:18 PM
ray luzier was my first huge influence and still is i want to be just like that guy and the same with shannon larkin i know you guys dont like him , but damn what a showman. As far as what really got me serious was probably checking out tony royster jr. at a drum clinic what a demon on the kit.

43%dillinger
04-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Danny Carey, Mike Portnoy are the two definite big ones. then come
Chris Pennie
Nick Barker
Virgil - thank god for ataraxia
Marco - combination of crazy technical + musical + funky umph!
Chad Sexton - no fancy beats or fills. just durn mature feel drumming
Martin Lopez - the use of china hits in random sweet places is his specialty

i still need to get into the music of gadd, weckl, chambers, smith, williams, and all those other giants.

C.J.
04-10-2005, 02:31 AM
The very first drummer who influenced me was John Otto from Limp Bizkit... I still think he has a nice groove when playing those hip-hopish stuff with the band.

dave wilkinson
04-10-2005, 03:07 AM
first drummer who i listened to, and what got me into playing was a guy named jorg michael, listening to speed metal etc just really floated, and id usually just end up air drumming to the songs, madnesss

Milo Porto
04-10-2005, 03:54 AM
tommy lee ..then mike portnoy..and then virgil donati

vdreignsuponus1
04-10-2005, 08:12 AM
joey jordinson..then dave lombardo..then mike portnoy..then virgil donati..which led to a whole bunch of the greats!

johngregson
04-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Nigel Olson (! There's a name from the past - saw him with Elton John and loved his playing), Jeff Campitelli, Mike Portnoy, Nick D'Virgilio, Vinnie, then Virgil!
There are so many great drummers!

EDIT: Oh, and Carl Palmer!

Andrew Dennison
04-10-2005, 09:28 AM
My first influence was definetly my drum teacher Mark Mead. Then it goes to Mike Portnoy, Danny Carrey, and then Virgil was sort of a gateway drummer. After I found out about him, all these other amazing drummers just seemed to pop up.

Images&Words
04-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Lars Ulrich was the first one that got me into drumming because I WAS a big Metallica fan, of the old stuff. Then Trym from Emperor made me want to start working on speed, after a year or so of working on speed I heard Portnoy and that made me lean towards the more technical side of drumming. From there it went to Virgil and a whole bunch of amazing drummers, too many to list!

alencore
04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
neil peart!......then john bonham.......etc etc...

Ludwig
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
1. Billy Cobham
2. John Bonham
3. Tony Royster jr.
(And finaly my profesors Goran Evetovic and Stanko Patarcic. They are great drummers too)

DavidPartay
04-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I'd always wanted to learn to play drums, and my first teacher had been playing for about 13 years when I first started getting lessons. He had a lot of jazz experience, and I remember he played to me what seemed to be INCREDIBLY cool off-beat stuff that I didn't have the slightest understanding of ;). There was also the guy who I bought my first drumkit off, he's also a fantastic drummer and seeing him play a couple of times blew me away.

Then I went to a Darren Farrugia + Damian Corniola clinic. That was my first ever experience of "really good drummers". That was back when Damian was 11. Darren showed us how fast he could play with a single pedal. I didn't realise that sort of speed was humanly possible.

Not long after that I also got to see an Andrew Gander clinic. Whoa. Just, whoa.

Not long after that, I started getting lessons off Chris McCaig (back in 2000). He loaned me Power Drumming, and well... from that day forward I have had Virgil firmly set in my mind as the greatest drummer ever ;). I went to great lengths to hear him play with bands and stuff. Seeing Virgil play and me attempting to duplicate the PD exercises was definitely the biggest turning point in my drumming.

Tama3186
04-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Craig Reagor, who lead me to dream theater and death,morbid angel, and he inspired me to learn double bass well, it helped.

davidseung
04-12-2005, 09:58 PM
when i was very young, Animal has a HUGE impact on me...

then when i actually started playing, Chad Smith and John Dolmayan..

nowadays, aronoff, colaiuta, virgil, minniman, latham, rabb, bozzio, a lot of peopel i listen to have impact on me..

in the rock scene, i think brad wilk and dave grohl have got it right - because they both have great feel... and grohl has that energy that he somehow captures in every record. chris dangerous from the hives and tre cool from green day alsoi come up with some awesome grooves and fills that i like to steal :)

x86zero
04-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Martin Lopez

KennyMMX
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Jimmy Chamberlin totally chenged my perspective on drumming when i first heard Gish in 94. he is still one of the top influential drummers to me

ProMark747
04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Peart, Portnoy, Chambers, Beauford

Wankmaster Joe
05-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Mike Portnoy!! The reason I started drumming was him.

vdreignsuponus1
05-07-2005, 04:48 PM
sorry if i haven't said this already: welcome Wankmaster Joe!:)

and how long have u been playing mr. portnoy fan?

Wankmaster Joe
05-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Only 7 months but I wouldn't say im bad Cjc showed me some direction in learning thanks cjc.

vdreignsuponus1
05-07-2005, 05:30 PM
well u've got a lifetime to learn!:) glad to see u on the board!

cjcdrums
05-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey man, welcome to the board. Nice to see you here. Man, I should get points for referring people to this site! Or Donati Dollars... or dough-nuts...

IronCobraMan
05-07-2005, 11:41 PM
my first influence on drumming was sepulturas igor cavalera...ya ya...he's very simple and lars-ish.... but at the time it was tuff to play :P ...

RadZS
05-08-2005, 09:23 AM
well i guess the first drummer's name i knew (excluding Ringo) was Tico Torres from Bon Jovi. That was when I was really young and I hadn't actually started playing drums. About the age I started playing the drummers I remember a lot were Lars Ulrich, Adrian Young (No Doubt), and Dave Grohl. I got into Mike Portnoy and that was my gateway drummer into the whole progressive/fusion drumming world. I also got to see Weckl in a clinic and that changed my world on what was possible with drums. After that I started getting into all the big name guys, Gadd, Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, etc..etc.... Now I deff dig the new guys that are out there pushing the level of drumming like Virgil, Thomas Lang, and Marco Minnemann. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I love Chad Sexton's playing, maybe the best groove out there today.

vdreignsuponus1
05-08-2005, 09:28 AM
portnoy was sort of my gateway drummer too. but once i found out about mr. donati, he opened a whole bunch of new doors for me!

Funkifized
05-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I seriously can't remember who it was... probably weckl or chambers. Maybe I was inspired by Chamber's insane single stroke speed... or maybe it was because I downloaded his drum solo off p2p networks when I was a kid :p

Wankmaster Joe
05-09-2005, 07:27 PM
well u've got a lifetime to learn!:) glad to see u on the board!
Thanks for the warm welcome kind sir. :) :D

ghostnote3000
05-10-2005, 05:05 AM
it was portnoy who sparked my drumming; but people like donati, minneman, and lang that made me take it to the next level.

insomnia
05-10-2005, 10:04 AM
dave grohl, john bonham, taylor hawkins, thomas lang, blackwell, marco minnemann, stewart copeland

Shane G
05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Tommy Lee.

Me & my friend decided we'd start a band on the bus back from another losing football game. He chose the bass, and I chose drums. Nevermind we didnt have instruments.

Shortly thereafter, I saw Motley Crue's Theater Of Pain tour.
When that drumriser tilted 90, I was hooked.
"I wanna do that!"

Its been a long time since then.

ledtalica
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Metallica is the BEST

frank
05-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah right... Metallica 0wnz!!111 Lars kicks Virg's as$!!! w00t!

Hey man, welcome to the board. Nice to see you here. Man, I should get points for referring people to this site! Or Donati Dollars... or dough-nuts...

Or how about Doughnati's or Donutsi's!! :D:D:D

scott h
05-14-2005, 07:51 PM
One of the first drummers I got to hear and get inspired from was Dave Weckl, I really wanted to be a drummer so I bought everything with him and from there it just has expand to:
-Vinnie Colaiuta
-Simon Philips
-Steve Gadd
-Buddy Rich
-Steve Smith
-Tony Williams
-Akira Jimbo
-Dennis Chambers
-Terry Bozzio

...and now the last 3-4years.
-Marco Minneman
and of course, the man himself...Virgil Donati.

I just heard Minneman on the radio playing with a Latin band. Awesome. Don't remember the artist though.

C.J.
05-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Marco's groove and feel is really awesome! So funky, yeah baby, yeah!

Dr_Octavia
05-16-2005, 03:57 AM
1. Virgil Donati
2. Marco Minnrmann
3. Terry Bozzio
4. Mike Portnoy
5. Danny Carey

the scottster
05-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Lars Ulrich
Chad smith
Travis barker

Soon after was Mike portnoy and virg, then a bunch of the guys like Lang, Minnemen DOm famularo, JOe Bergamini, John Blackwell, ETC ETC......

C.J.
05-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the family Dr Octavia!

D. Slam
05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
The inluences that actually got me started playing drums:

1. My cousin, who's band I saw at age 9
2. Clyde Stubblefield and Melvin Parker (James Brown)
3. The drummer that played on Gladys Knight's "I heard it through the grapevine".

C.J.
05-16-2005, 01:08 PM
LoL D. When I was little I used to listen to number 3 all the time... Brings back some old memories... That song is in my head now LoL.

dorothy
05-30-2005, 11:30 PM
dude, you've got me thinking now. i started playing when i was 9. the first drummers i remember hearing and thinking, hey i wanna play drums was bonham, moon, and ward. ward is simple, but drives a powerful sound. oh and animal (he was actually modeled after moon). shortly after i started playing i heard tommy lee. from there i wanted to learn more. learned about peart, lombardo, vinnie paul, futureman (bella fleck and the flecktones rule!), kinney, carey, portney, buddy rich. guys i really like now....chris adler from lamb of god and matt mcdonough from mudvayne (personally i think he makes joey look stupid)

Journey77
06-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Dave Lombardo

Phobophile
06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
ICM, I know he is not always the most technical and I have in fact heard him say in an interview say how the technical is not the most important aspect for him, but Lars-ish, that really hurts me. You cut me deep. Igor is my favorite drummer and I think he is much better than Lars.

SonorForce
06-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Phil Collins here, i saw him live at the Carousel tour, blew me away......

alencore
06-12-2005, 10:29 AM
dom famularo and jim chapin wow i'm ashamed i overlooked this guy's talent.

C.J.
06-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Igor has some interesting stuf, just like Roy Mayorga... That tribal vibe. Heck, these guys influenced great drummers like Aquiles Priester.

twotails
06-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Bill bruford (especially in UK)
Phil Collins (his jazzy genesis songs, Brilliant !)
Chris Maitland (in Kino and PT )
Virgil Donati (as himself :)
Neil Peart (the proffessor)
Steve Negus (Saga's swing)
Gary Husband (Allan Holdsworth)
Simon Philips (party in his pants ! --> steve Lukather)
Cesar Zuiderwijk (Dutch beast drummer from Golden Earring)

and uhh..
I suprise myself once in awhile with brilliant (ahem) kicks and licks ..so i guess ..
My divine inspiration angel behind the drumkit from above :) :)

frank
06-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Aahh COME ON!!!! Cesar Zuiderwijk is the most overrated drummer in the entire netherlands!! :|

Helmet
06-12-2005, 12:14 PM
The drummer who made me first really go for it was Ian Paice. My dad was a huge Purple fan, and at the time Ian was one of the very few drummers with speed, power and finesse in one combo. 'Fireball' was before its time for example.

vdreignsuponus1
06-12-2005, 12:30 PM
and don't we have ian to thank for bringing us virgil donati?!:)

mikkeydee
06-12-2005, 09:50 PM
i m not sure if u ve heard of him or not

Jammie Wolliam on Michael Sweet's debut

clintcron
08-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Tommy Lee, then Ticco Torres, then Dave Lombardo, Portnoy, Minneman, Lang
Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks

Who was definitely not influenced by.
Flippin' John Bonham

clintcron
08-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Also, I would like to Spug from Mudvayne. I recently began to listen to his drumming. He is pretty awesome with his grooves on dbl bass. Nothing really hard, he just has great musicality.

GaBr
08-17-2005, 11:24 AM
PORTNOY!!!! when i was about 11 years old... my brothers used to listen to dream theater ALOT.... i kinda knew their songs by heart!! and then when i started playin i was at about 14 and so i used to listen to the modern **** like linkin park and stuff..... then my brothers introduced me to DT and i heared protnoy's playing and i realised some stuff he does which changed the way i use my techniques.. and now.... then weckl introduced me to funk and chambers to fusion ...etc.. to every style i had been introduced by its king:D lol

Bostic
08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
The two drummers that made me want to come home everyday after middle school and practice would be Kim Ruzz of Mercyful Fate and Lars Ulrich of Metallica.

Ken Kaniff
08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Lars and Nicko McBrian of Iron Maiden for me.

roxz
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Lars Ullrich

Jameson
08-20-2005, 09:16 PM
John Bonham.

Later I found Mike Portnoy and got more serious.

Sam L
08-20-2005, 09:56 PM
John Bonham when I was a kid, but my main influence was Pete Sandoval.

alencore
08-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I found Mike Portnoy and got more dumb...LOL! joke...hehe.

drummerboy812
09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Tommy Lee in the Motley Crue video-"Wildside" Blew my mind!!

bobby
09-02-2005, 05:55 AM
travis barker probably
however when i was about 5 i wanted to play drums in a band because of abba.... :S