worth seeing:

http://www.omni-music.com/video/mikemangini.WMV

Christopher
08-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Always good to see Mike play!

Thanks Peter!

kirk
08-18-2003, 01:41 PM
I have seen Mangini a few times and this type of soloing(which I have seen) get's so boring so quick. His Interdependence is Amazing as is his precision and speed but I will take Virgil anyday. There is so much depth when I listen to Virgil, the creative vein runs much deeper along with his musicality. I have alot of Mangini on disc along with seeing him and I like him alot but it is too cold often times.
As far as feet goes I will take Virg. I know when I have seem Mangini 2 out of the 4 times he has said openly how Virg put a fire under his Butt to improve in the fluidity, speed and creativity department and that Virg actually had taught him alot one on one to improve his feet.

Virg takes his extreme abilities and makes wonderful diverse music, and his time feel and touch are both pleasing to the ears, along with his sense of groove(Fuse 1 hit it right on the head back on HOD when commenting on the difference between the real extreme drummers, Virg Marco, Mangini etc.

But just as far as extreme abilities go along with the speed and precision Mangini is Awesome and is to be commended for sure.

Kirk

peter
08-18-2003, 01:54 PM
At HOD, you have opinionated
people, like everywhere else, I
suppose. If you're not looking
for value, you won't find it.

Mike has obviously got some-
thing. He has tremendous control
of his hands and apparently, his
feet, as well. How he uses that is
something different, isn't it?

Virgil has something to teach to
everyone. There's no doubt of
that. NO DOUBT.

At the same time, it looks like
Mangini has something to say
too - more about technique.
There's value there.

jimi
08-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Great solo, i have the whole 2hr Vai show actually.
But as for drumming, mangini's great, Virg just has a sound, a different one to any drummers out there, and its this unique sound that has me hooked.
Thats my best effort to put the feeling into words.

peter
08-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Virgil is incomparable - in his own world.
I can't compare anyone to him.

With Mangini, I'm not trying to do that.
I'm simply noticing a drummer, with a
Bostonian accent, who can play the
sh-- out of the drums.

I'm listening to Mulmuzzler, right now,
Christopher. It's not my cup of tea but
I can hear Mangini and that's what
matters. He plays very well.

jimi
08-18-2003, 02:43 PM
I wasnt trying to compare, just saying that its who virg is that influences me or grabs my attention, his sound.

peter
08-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I know you weren't, Jimi.
I'm with you and I always
dig your posts.

I love Virgil.

I was really referring to the
guys at HOD. Don't get me
wrong, I compare too,
especially when I have
not heard someone. Once
I have seen and heard
someone, if they have an
identity, I tend to separate
what they do from others.

I'm interested in Mangini. I'm
going to attend a clinic of his
December, if I can get my work
done that day.

candyman
08-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Saw Mangini when he was playing with the rock group Extreme in front of about 20 people. This was about 7 or 8 years ago and he was playing Remo with rototoms. If I closed my eyes I could have sworn I was listening to Terry Bozzio during his solo. He was playing over ostinatos. He has grown by leaps and bounds since then and is an amazing talent.

quitou
08-18-2003, 03:40 PM
I agree...regardless of how people compare him to Virg, Mangini is still one crazy drummer. I saw him at a clinic a few months ago and he was crazy...yes I agree that he plays LOUD most of the time, but he plays (even though its loud) stuff that the majority of us could only dream of playing. It's just different styles of playing...Mangini is probably more of a hard rock/ metal drummer (although I'm sure he could play just about anything he wantes to). Regardless, he is still one of the guys pushing the limits of the instrument...and add to his sick playing the fact that he one funny guy and an absolutely amazing show man...I've never head so much fun at music show as I did when I went to Mangini's clinic...his enthusiam is infectous.

kirk
08-18-2003, 04:58 PM
I personally like to sit down and understand what makes drummers and musicians different( what makes them tick) I am a very analytical person trying to understand every little nuance to someones playing and I like to compare BUT without making it personal and keeping the stupid derogatory comments out of the
analyzing. While at the same time emphasizing the good in the musician. Whether Mangini or anyone else once I get a grasp of them as players I take note as to what is hitting my senses that is positive and maybe not as positive(not that it is bad just not just the same as someone else and maybe not hitting me in the same musical manner) that is how I learn what I like and where I want to go as a musician. Peter you are right guy's(Virgil,Mangini,Lang,Chambers,Vinnie etc.) at this level have alot of good to offer even though every aspect of what they do might not be on the same level as others.

Kirk

peter
08-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Kirk,

I dig you too, Kirk. You are all
about positive and learning. I
love reading your posts too. I
guess I'm getting old or some-
thing but for me, conflict is de-
feating, in itself.

Like you, I'm always trying to
differentiate but not with the
purpose of setting apart but of
bringing together. In other
words, I'm looking always to
add to what I have and in
line with what I believe my
goals are.

The "groove" is always a part
of the equation but so is tech-
nique. You can imagine what
it was like for me to gind Virgil,
the melding of both.

Now, while Mangini is a very
technical player, he's also very
cognizant of the genre and
respectful of the tempo and
both of which are respectful of
the other players in the unit,
at least in what I'm listening
to right now.

While these tunes have some
complexity to them, they flow
well. I like the groove element
in them very much. I don't think
you can ask for more, for these
projects. I mean that.

These are:

Mullmuzzler 2

Mulmuzzler: Keep it to Yourself

The latter, the more recent is
especially even - solid as a rock.

Note that Mike is a sideman on
almost everything that I have
heard of him come into question
and the mentality of the sideman
versus the composer is polarized.

When we hear Virgil, we usually
hear a drummer AND a composer.
This is totally different than say
the stuff he winds up doing with
Joel or Freakhouse, which you
hear people say less about and
what's perhaps unfair about that
is the nature of the work itself.

If Mangini were heard in truly his
own element, say a composition
of his own making, we might have
a totally different idea of him.

Indeed, players evolve and I see
a drummer not so much as what he
is but what I think he can become
and I see a guy like Mangini, with
a great, great future, potentially.

He reminds me of Virgil in that way...
...you know - raw potential. The
guy is still very young and you can
see that he is very determined. I
like to see that. Maybe he's a little
vain but youth can be like that and
we know that all youth is temporary.

Of course, I can't see the future but
I like what I see for Mangini and his
influence. He's a credit to the genre.

candyman
08-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Hey Peter,
I totally agree with your post. It sounds like you are full of drum wisdom.

I have read you studied with Billy, I wanted to get your thoughts on how he approached his bass drum technique that is heel down versus heel up.

peter
08-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Actually, I did not study with him.

When I was very young, I was
lucky enough to talk to him on
the phone, once and then have a
demonstration done by him, right
next to me. I have been in awe
of him ever since. You should
have seen what I saw that day.
I'll never forget it.

I met him a few times, backstage
in NYC at various shows but where
I have gotten to know him was at
his site:

www.billycobham.com

He's like a father to me (regarding
the drums, that is). We talk to each
other on his BBS. I very flattered
that he would exchange with me
but the truth is he shares with
others too. He's really quite a guy
and with great advice for us all.

It was on his site that he helped
me move to open-handed playing,
focusing on my left-hand ride,
like him. I'm very grateful and
devoted to him.

We talk about a lot of things and
I mean stuff outside of drums.
he knows that I'm an economic
analyst and that interests him
a little, I think. I also have real
human interests and care deeply
about my wife and son. I think
we strike a chord together.

As for your question about heel-up
versus heel down, he used to be
a heel-up player but found that
control was always an issue and
so where dynamics fluctuate, as
in jazz, especially straight-ahead,
he now brings his heel down.

He also is sitting higher than ever
before, interestingly enough.

For the record:

I studied offically with Tony Williams
and had the great opportunity of
getting to know and speak with
Steve Gadd, as a youngster, just
before my college years. I learned
a LOT from Steve.

There's so much out there and
more now than ever before. Let
me just remind you that in all of
my years of playing, there has
never been anything like the
Tsunami, which is Virgil and we
are SO FORTUNATE to know of
him. I mean that.

By the way, I play heel-down,
just as Tony did but I'm pulling
up a little, just now.

bootdogs
08-18-2003, 08:24 PM
REALLY COOL VIDEO!!!!!!

peter
08-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Check it out:

http://www.houseofshred.com/interviews/inter_mullmuzzler.htm

BrettLee
08-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks for sharing again, Peter. I've not seen Mike Mangini performed live or even in any lengthy video like this before!! I'd say he has an excellent stick rebound control, as he's able to do clear and powerful single stroke rolls at wicked speed! Even his foot deserves some recognition..

kirk
08-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Virgil has the magic of Vinnie IMO, where whatever he does whether his own music or a side project there will be something going on that is Amazing technically and musically, the chops and the Groove the flash and the feel. The new Hoekstra album has that combo. His sense of groove and his time-feel and touch is Awesome. He plays very restrained yet there is the trademark style going on, then there are the fireworks when needed as only he can do. Same with Vinnie even when he is just laying back adding color there is HIS identity there, and that Virgil has for sure.

Kirk

peter
08-19-2003, 05:45 AM
Drummers with Identities - now there's
a title for a new thread!

It will be interesting how that identitiy
translates into the eye of the beholders.

There's no doubt what you say is true,
Kirk. There's genius here.

Hip Alien
08-19-2003, 08:31 PM
I saw Mike Mangini live at the Montreal Drumfest and heard him with various artists. My opinion is that, he's a great drummer, excellent technique, but he leaves me kind of indifferent. I think he's hasn't left his huge 'Bozzio' influence behind him yet. But this is merely my opinion. 'Mangini' fans, please don't blast me ! And Peter, i also think 'Barriemore Barlow' is overlooked. He's probably my favorite prog drummer, tasty, creative and original !

quitou
08-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Here's a clip of Manigni breaking the world record for single strokes using traditional grip...while I think the World's Fastest Drummer contests are a bit cheesy and shift the emphasis from musicality to just being able to play fast (which I think is a BAD thing...musicality should always come first), it's still pretty damn impressive:

http://www.drumometer.com/MikeMangini1126/Mikerealbroadband.rm

cranker
09-14-2003, 03:52 PM
I thought Art Verdi did the impossible doing that 1116 strokes in a minute and Mike comes along and did 10 strokes more. Isn't that fantastic.

quitou
09-14-2003, 04:54 PM
If you watch the video, there's a point where he stumbles (I think his sticks hit eachother) too...I'm sure he lost a fair number of strokes there...makes it all the more impressive.

BrettLee
09-14-2003, 05:39 PM
I knew Mike has the potential.. Hearing him play live together with Steve Vai.. I noticed he was doing alot of fast singles everywhere on the drumkit, including his feets.. He's one drummer NOT to be messed with.. :)

peter
09-14-2003, 05:49 PM
While VERY clean in the first part,
the execution suffered towards
the end. Still, it's plain to see that
Mike has a rare command over the
sticks at high speed.

morgenthaler
09-18-2003, 07:10 AM
You get a nice display of Mikes speed on the '96 G3 video with the Steve Vai performance!

quitou
10-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Hey Guys,
I just picked up a copy of James LaBrie's Mullmuzzler 2 with Mangini playing drums...it is unreal...I highly recommend it...if you like progressive rock you'll like this album...Mangini plays very well...lot of chops, but he plays stuff that sounds very musical and compliments the tunes really well...

In MD magazine somebody asked Mangini which album best represents his playing and he said this one!!! It's no wonder...very cool stuff!!!

peter
10-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I agree, Quitou. It's quite musical.

He really looks to compliment the
project. I am anxious to hear more
of him. In December, he's coming
to my area to do a clinic. I'm going
to go, as much as I'll stand out.

quitou
10-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Just a piece of advice Peter, take earplugs if you go see mangini because he plays LOUD!!! He doesn't hold back when it comes to beating the skins...I don't think my ears have ever rung so much as after his clinic...

peter
10-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Quitou. I will do just that!

It's great having/making friends like
you and the gang on the site.

Virgil is creating such a legacy. It's
great - even a privilege to be a part
of it, everyday.

frank
10-08-2003, 11:13 AM
I can't open the video :/
is the link still working?
thnx.

rcmedia
11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
There's a couple important points everyone seems to totally miss when discussing Mike's playing:

A) To my knowledge Mike is the premier 'open-stance' drummer going today.
He always plays his parts totally and completely open stance which makes everything ten times more difficult from the get-go.
I have literally dozens of hours of videotape of him from over the years and I can surely confirm that he uses this style for everything he does.
His kit does not favor the left or right side of the body whatsoever.
(*It's safe to say that Mike is the only drummer to ever bring and use a full blown open-stance kit on the David Letterman show!....lol)
He is also at the forefront of chromatic tunings and concepts... maybe only Bozzio is further along in this area.

B) Mike is what is known in the industry as a 'Ringer'.
He is famous for nailing ultra-complex material in the studio (with click track) in one take.
Jeff Waters (Annihilator) just returned from Boston the other day where he produced Mike's sessions for the forthcoming CD and he had this to say about the experience:

"hehe; and I agree, RC; the drumming on this cd is un-touchable. Usually, with 99% of metal drummers, you go in later, with the computer and "fix" things that were played out or a bit off-time. This is normal these days to do this for all instruments, especially vocals. Saves time and money and gives you a bit more "creative" time. (actually, you can now make a BAD drummer and singer sound really good with modern computer software!)

However, HOW MUCH you do this depends on how "perfect" you want it to sound and feel. These days, there are too many "computerized" performances/playing. BUT with Mangini, I literally let the tape run and he would play a few different versions of the songs. Then, if anything would be "out" or "off", it would be "fixed" later. Me and TEEM listened to some of the songs last night and if I did not touch or change ANYTHING, it would still be some of the best drumming ever in metal. In fact, I think I will leave it un-touched to keep the "feel" of it all. This is un-heard of to leave things raw like this. Whatever you hear from other artists in metal, no one leaves the drum tracks "as-is". I might! I was able to record some clips of Mike drumming in the studio so I will try to post some soon.

Anyway, although it is an honor to know and work and hang out with him, and he is making this new cd even one notch higher, it is still really about the songs and how all the individual performances come together as one song. Dave RULES on this (again, a combo of all Annihilator past singers meets his own style) and I feel that my end is the best of my best. A great singer and drummer cannot help me if the songs suck. They RULE!

Only side that some fans will notice is that I did not seem to feature my lead guitar playing as much on this cd; it is all about the song; not the individual. Mind you, I have always done this; being a "lead guitar god" was never my intention!

That is also the cool thing about Mangini; he knows when to turn it on and go insane on some parts but he also knows when to stay on a simple style when the song needs it. He and I are both on the same wavelength in this."

Mike Keneally (ex-Frank Zappa guitarist) also has a few good Mangini stories, my favorite being when they went into the studio to track 'Egg Zooming' for the Sluggo CD (Beer For dolphins).
This song is ridiculously complex with polyrhythms all over the place and Keneally was re-writing the charts in the studio (because he wanted a double coda ending at the last second etc.) ... Mangini just said "Whatever... roll the tape!"
and proceeded to murder this tune (*in one take) ...and he didn't even really know it ...and it wasn't even complete yet!
This song is like 8 minutes long also... just crazy stuff.
Go to www.keneally.com for the full scoop on that and other cool info.