PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Great Drummer...

Hip Alien
08-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Who would you say is the most unrecognized great drummer ? I have to go with 'JOJO MAYER'. I saw him live at the 'Montreal Drumfest 96' and he knocked me out solid ! He reminds me a bit of 'Vinnie', the complete drummer, amazing groover, monster chops and what a sense of time soloing over any time signature making it feel natural, + he's identifiable.

peter
08-14-2003, 11:55 PM
That's really tough.

I think it's this drummer you probably
never heard of named Tom Hipskind.

I saw him take over for Vinnie, one
night. This was after seeing him, as
a youth perhaps some 12-15 years
before. Even then, I knew he had it
in him and I told him so. He was so
interested in me that night because
of my connection with Williams and
Gadd but it was all about him and I
let him know. I was right. This kid
has turned into a monster. Find him.

alencore
08-15-2003, 07:04 AM
me.........ROTFLMAO!!!

mauricio
08-15-2003, 08:41 AM
Jeff Sipe aka APT. Q-258

jonberg
08-15-2003, 10:34 AM
I would say Per Lindwall from Sweden.
Does anyone recognize that name??

I have a cool story about him...he is really popular in sweden and the most hired studiodrummer ever in sweden. This man is known for his impeccable time!!
Well, he had a studiojob in switzerland a couple of years ago for some singer or something and he recorded his part with a clicktrack. At the end of the song the producer noticed that Per wasnīt with the click, heīs was before the click, just a little bit, so the producer said to him:
-I think you stressed a little bit at the end of the song Per!
And Per answers:
-No, it was the clicktrack!!!
The producer couldnīt take this and after some fighting about that they listened back to the track with the clicktrack, and..
...Per was right!! There were somekind of powerloss in the studio for a millisecond or something like that and Per gave the shit about that and contiuned to play. Thatīs one of the coolest stories I have heard!

Another thing Iīve heard (which I donīt know if itīs true) is that Joe Porcaro said to his (then) young son Jeff Porcaro that if he practised hard on drums, he could eventually be as good as Per Lindwall.

Milo Porto
08-15-2003, 01:38 PM
jorg micheal from straovarius......not that flashy but has got a solid double bass work and steady in tempo.:D

jimi
08-16-2003, 01:47 AM
Manu Katche!
Get Joe Satriani's self titled album, great stuff!

morgenthaler
08-16-2003, 05:17 AM
I have to back jonberg on this one!
Per Lindwall, though no technical freak is still a monstrous drummer!
I have heard him live a couple of times ( and probably alot on the radio with out knowing... he has done at least 700 albums) and it actually is a bit like hearing Jeff again!
He is truly a great, great drummer -Per Lindwall!!

BrettLee
08-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Shane Gaalaas of the band CosmoSquad. Plays lotsa styles, and really have good control over the drumkit. Check him out!!!

Adam
08-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Jimmy Chamberlin...of the smashing pumpkins. A lot of people dismiss him as "just another drummer" because he plays in a rock band. Truth is he never played rock untill joining the Smashing Pumpkins (before he was a jazz drummer). I think he's about as good as portnoy, if not a notch above...except maybe the double pedal stuff.

jimi
08-17-2003, 02:10 AM
@ adam: Ya he's great! doesn't he have a drummer school open somewhere?

alencore
08-17-2003, 05:03 AM
Jimmy Chamberlin...yeah his great. He was featured on MD once and what a guy. If my memory serves me right I think he used to be in some fusion bands before joining SP reason why have some amazing chops he displayed on earlier album of SP.

candyman
08-17-2003, 10:57 AM
I think you need to check out Tom Knight. He is a teacher in Atlanta and a awesome fusion drummer. Has a lot of Dave Weckl in his playing. Has chops from hell.

BrettLee
08-17-2003, 06:05 PM
If you are a prog rocker, do check out another upcoming drummer star, all the way from Sweeden, I bring you, Thomas Lejon from the band, "Andromeda".. His chops are awesome, full of odd beats and I think he uses Virgil's Saturation crashes.. :) Very Neil Peart inspired drummer...

alencore
08-18-2003, 04:18 AM
and speaking of neil Peart anyone knows what's up with him or his band?

ChrisD
12-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Manu Katche.

grandpascorpion
12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Ditto on Jojo Mayer. He doesn't get a 1/4th of the credit he deserves IMHO.

Zach Hill of Hella would be another guy.

And, that's a great story, jonberg.

kirk
12-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I think at times it is more of an issue of being still somewhat unknown but still highly regarded by the SERIOUS drumming community. JoJo and someone like Dave Dicenso are still somewhat unknown to many but are still highly regarded by those in the know, Dave falls into this category even more than JoJo. I have said it before a drummer like Dave D. needs WAY more props.

x86zero
12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Gene Hoglan.

peter
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Barriemore Barlow

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0XTIQCVDVO3TN3RBWJO0ZO0BYU

wecklkop
12-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Gergo Borlai - Kaltenecker Trio

Helmet
12-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Gene Hoglan.

Oh yes!! Saw SYL last Thursday and he crushed the fools doing their little kung fu impressions into worshipful submission.

Dan 'Loord' Foord from Sikth also deserves far more recognition. But he won't get it cos he's English :mad:

Matthias
12-20-2005, 01:17 AM
I think you need to check out Tom Knight. He is a teacher in Atlanta and a awesome fusion drummer. Has a lot of Dave Weckl in his playing. Has chops from hell.

Isn't he the guy who plays or played for some cool female bassist (I forgot her name)? If so, yeah he's great!!

Matthias
12-20-2005, 01:19 AM
I think at times it is more of an issue of being still somewhat unknown but still highly regarded by the SERIOUS drumming community. JoJo and someone like Dave Dicenso are still somewhat unknown to many but are still highly regarded by those in the know, Dave falls into this category even more than JoJo. I have said it before a drummer like Dave D. needs WAY more props.

It depends on where they're playing bandwise.

Btw, here in Switzerland JoJo is quite popular :) .

Fede
12-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Gene Hoglan.

I think that's a little beside the point of this thread, as I don't think he can described as underrated. The man is highly regarded, and widely accepted as one of the best metal drummers in the world, a notion with which I completely concur - he is fantastic....but underrated ?

ataraxia
12-20-2005, 09:00 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Pete Zeldman gets nowhere near the recognition he deserves. Check him out, http://www.petezeldman.com/

MaltBuddow3
12-20-2005, 09:10 AM
lars ulrique

drummaman1
12-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Guys like Terreon Gully and Chris Dave, who I think are getting more recognition, but nonetheless...

x86zero
12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
I think that's a little beside the point of this thread, as I don't think he can described as underrated. The man is highly regarded, and widely accepted as one of the best metal drummers in the world, a notion with which I completely concur - he is fantastic....but underrated ?

I just say Gene Hoglan for everything. It's my personal belief that everyone should know Gene Hoglan.

"This is our son Gene" "was he named after the-" "hahah oh yes he's named after the machine himself" "how delightful"

mathcore
12-20-2005, 04:13 PM
IMO Jojo Mayer & Jarzombek should be waaay more recognized in & out the drumming community worldwide.

Kinetic drummer
12-20-2005, 04:19 PM
jojo for sure,,
i dont know, but i dont like jrazombek playing :S

kirk
12-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree with Terreon Gully GREAT! player. He is fairly new to the scene in a sense but he is getting much more recognition and is highly regarded by many.

cjcdrums
12-20-2005, 10:51 PM

YES! Everyone on this forum needs to know about Dave DiCenso. Total bad-ass. In fact, he's one of my top 5 all-time favorite drummers...

If you haven't heard this guy yet, listen to this! Awesome! http://www.davedicenso.com/mp3/Lesson2.mp3

KarnEvil
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Morgan Agren

Kinetic drummer
12-20-2005, 11:17 PM
yeah this guy morgan agren has serious chops!!!!

dyed in the one
12-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Many times I've heard the name Alex Van Halen come up when this question was asked.

Luis
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Gregg Bissonette is one of them.
An all around drummer with great tecnique.

Cheers !

LG

kirk
12-21-2005, 11:05 AM
I know Virg is spreading the word about Dave D. and for good reason. Zach Danzinger is another guy you hear little about nowday's but back all through the nineties he was KILLING! Of course he is still a GREAT! drummer just not doing as much as he use to. He is somewhat in the same vein as Dave D/Weckl/JoJo but has or I should say had his own thing going on before some of these other guy's. In fact Dave and Keith Carlock both took lessons with Zach from what I just read at HOD.

I listened to the guy quite abit back in the early to mid nineties but lost touch with him and after seeing a thread on him back at HOD it brought back the memories. Zach's command of metric mod/beat displacement and his phrasing are just out of this world(of course his chops are fantastic to boot), very deep stuff going on at times. When Weckl has to drag his jaw out the floor after watching, then you are one serious drummer.

MapleArtist
12-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi to everyone! Many talented drummers have already been mentioned here..like Dave DiCenso, JoJo, Thomas Lejon...but I have to mention a guy called Pete Drummond! Amazing player and producer! And from Australia..like Virgil!:D But He definitely deserves some credits!

MapleArtist
12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
..and BTW my first post here!!!:D ....since july 2003..

percusski
12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I know Virg is spreading the word about Dave D. and for good reason. Zach Danzinger is another guy you hear little about nowday's but back all through the nineties he was KILLING! Of course he is still a GREAT! drummer just not doing as much as he use to. He is somewhat in the same vein as Dave D/Weckl/JoJo but has or I should say had his own thing going on before some of these other guy's. In fact Dave and Keith Carlock both took lessons with Zach from what I just read at HOD.

I listened to the guy quite abit back in the early to mid nineties but lost touch with him and after seeing a thread on him back at HOD it brought back the memories. Zach's command of metric mod/beat displacement and his phrasing are just out of this world(of course his chops are fantastic to boot), very deep stuff going on at times. When Weckl has to drag his jaw out the floor after watching, then you are one serious drummer.

Hey, and you know who Zach studied with and has complete respect for...Pete Zeldman!

scott h
12-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Yeah. Pete's a great player! I would nominate one of his mentors, Mr. Andrew Gander. Possibly my favourite player in the whole world. Virgil would testify to the man's talent.

ataraxia
12-22-2005, 04:51 AM
yeah good post scott h, Andrew Gander is a beast. When I lived in Oz everyone was raving about him.

Dream_Factory
12-22-2005, 05:09 AM
I agree with Bobby Jarzombek, I think Jo Jo Mayer does alright in "Drummer Circles" but I think his music kinda holds him back. I also think Mangini is underated outside those "Drummer Circles". Most "Metal" drummers are underated IMO because of peoples attitudes towards metal, Derek Roddy beeing one of those said drummers.Not that Derek would want to just be known as a "Metal Drummer" but you guys know what I mean :D
Cheers

C.J.
12-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Some might think I'm crazy, but in a sense I think that V-Man himself is underrated...

Wankmaster Joe
12-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Some might think I'm crazy, but in a sense I think that V-Man himself is underrated...
True most people don't know about him, even alot of drummers.

mathcore
12-22-2005, 07:48 AM
YES! Everyone on this forum needs to know about Dave DiCenso. Total bad-ass. In fact, he's one of my top 5 all-time favorite drummers...

If you haven't heard this guy yet, listen to this! Awesome! http://www.davedicenso.com/mp3/Lesson2.mp3

Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!. I'd love to watch a video of what I just heard.

ataraxia
12-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't say that Virgil is necessarily underrated. It's a case of him being unknown if anything I think. Those who know him (anyone who actually knows something about drumming) almost always give him the respect and credit he deserves. What confuses me though, is that he appears in so few drumming adverts and magazines. Personally I think that a lot of his stuff is simply too far out for a lot of people to comprehend, especially younger, or less experienced drummers. I love pretty much all of his work, but it isn't always the most accessible.

Whilst talking about drumming adverts, if I see Morgan Rose in one more advert, doing that silly face, I think I'm going to slam my drumstick through my snare head.

C.J.
12-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Most people I present Virgil's material too, just turn their head and say "Naaa, he's just a circus drum act - all chops!". They mostly stop at that, totally underestimating his versitality...

It's just my opinion though.

C.J.
12-22-2005, 11:10 AM
By the way, that's the first time I heard Dave Dicenso, I enjoyed that a lot!

Has anybody got any vids of him, or something like that (on his site there's barely anthing :( )?

kirk
12-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Actually Virg IMO has been in given props by Modern Drummer quite abit. He has been on the cover twice and has been featured and interviewed to varying degrees probably 5 to six times. I have seen Virg on Pearl, Vater, Premier and Sabian ad's throughout MD and even at times Drum(not enough write up's on the BIB BOY'S in drum mag, too much Barker, sexton and josh freese) and magazine over the last 8 years. I know he was written about by Rhythm(the editor of Rhythm at the time called Virg the most "absurdly" proficient drummer he had ever seen or heard) mag over in Europe a few times and was featured in one Britian's mag's not too long ago.

The late publication "Stick's" and I think it was called, did a major feature on Virg along side Buddy Rich. That was all the way back in 97 I believe. I would like to see more write up's but I am pleased that he has recieved as much press as he has. Out of all the Extreme guy's he has gotten more prop's for sure and rightly so.

vdreignsuponus1
12-22-2005, 11:52 AM
i've seen him A LOT in DRUM! magazine..

mauricio
12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Zach Danziger is my vote as well. Gary Husband also.

Funnny thing is that both played their most interesting drumming alongside very original guitar players: Zach played with Wayne Krantz, and Husband with Allan Holdsworth.

Wayne Krantz is to me the most underrated guitar player ever.

Virgil played with Joel Hoekstra, which is another original guitarrist....

C.J.
12-22-2005, 02:14 PM
What about Chad Wackerman?

kirk
12-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Chad to me is pretty well known and is regarded pretty favorably as a drummer. I say that just because For the last twenty years he has played with some Giant's of the music world and has recieved alot of attention for it. There is one important aspect to this discussion. There are guy's like Chad and Gary who probably recieved MORE attention in the past because a bulk of their work that made a real impact WAS from the past. They are still terriffic drummer's but have not neccessarily broken much new ground which garner's new attention.

bateria
12-22-2005, 04:14 PM

Holy flapcakes. I'm going to be listening to that for a while. :D

C.J.
12-23-2005, 02:11 PM
What about Jason Rullo from Symphony X?

C.J.
12-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Oups, I forgot the title is "Most underrated GREAT drummer"...

Matthias
12-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Don't think Jason Rullo is a less good drummer than Mike P., so he'd deserve a bit more attention I guess.

Spit
12-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Benny Greb is awesome! I heard of him at the Montreal Drumfest and he completly amazed me :eek: He has all : the feel, the chop, the inspiration...AND WHAT AN INSPIRATION!!!!! The feel also...everything is at is place at the right time just to make you say "Damn...why I didn't think of that?".

C.J.
12-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Terry Lyne Carrington?

DogBoots2
12-24-2005, 04:04 AM
I vote for Anders Johansson. He's actually Hammerfall's Drummer, but my vote goes to him just for all his fusion albums with his brother (jens, stratovarius keyboardist)..what he's doing with hammerfall is nothing compare to how he can really play.. he's really a GOOD drummer!