PDA

View Full Version : In one month from now I will be doing doubles at 200bpm

Adam
08-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Here's the thing, I'm convinced that in just a short ammount of time people can improve how ever much they put their mind to it. I intend to prove this to myself by going from 100bpm doubles to 200bpm doubles in a month with my feet. I haven't really practiced doubles yet and I'm still sort of new to the double peddle world....but in one month from now that will all change.

This is a sort of mini experiment. I recently read the book "body-for-life" by Bill Phillips about changing your body. People have made incredible improvements in just a matter of months. The concept is just how hard you push yourself and force your body to adapt. I'm sure that's how Virgil got so good is that he's always taking the notch up once more and then getting comfortable and then taking it up again...etc. I'm going to try and do this with my drumming. Every day I'll up the tempo untill I reach 200. If I can accomplish this I'll post my results here for anyone to read.

I suppose that if this can happen then I truely believe that anything can and that the physical aspect of the drums is only limited by the mental part...

Any thoughts?

PS: if this works, then of course I'll try doing this with any and everything...even if this doesn't work I'll still try it.

DavidPartay
08-14-2003, 10:45 PM
good luck :) you'll need it !!

peter
08-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Adam,

Let me ask you something. How did
you learn to double-stroke with your
hands? Do your remember?

Fede
08-15-2003, 03:00 AM
Adam!

All the best from here!
I will be following your attempt with great interest. I most say I'm a bit sceptical, but.....

alencore
08-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Goodluck.

Adam
08-16-2003, 10:49 PM
With my hands (and feet) I started off learning speed as I was young and obsessed with that...but I didn't really "learn" untill I sat down on a pad one day and went "r r l l r r l l" working on stick heights etc.

I'm up to 120 so far! I think it's working...but I think my progress with slow down once I hit 150 or so...

jimi
08-17-2003, 03:13 AM
Man, do you have that much free time?? I mean its probably possible if you're legs are fit enough and you work at it for long hours everyday.

Adam
08-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Alright, I lost track of time...how long's it been? haha, I'm doing them at 150 now, I don't think I'll reach 200 yet. I went from 100 max to 140 in almost a week, and now it's taken me 2 weeks to get up to 150...

At Jimi: I have been running and eating a lot of protien to help muscle repair and it's helping a little haha

jimi
08-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Good stuff, it's 11 days now so i think we should give you a 31 day month, keep up the good work!!

alencore
08-26-2003, 11:43 AM
nice to hear Adam is getting there and he's basically halfway there.

Me.2
08-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Adam check out his brother seans book too.

Anything is possible in life,.... but i think they're looking at taking steps a day at a time. Small goals become big goals and targets reached....same as losing weight.

You're legs will want recuperation as well as that protein. if you fail,....you've only lost two weeks, so what the he**.

At least you'll see what you can go to and then,.... set a reasonable target next time. Good luck! Send a postcard! :)

peter
08-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Go, Adam!

DavidPartay
08-28-2003, 03:42 AM
dude, I wish I could put that much effort into my drumming!

Me.2
08-28-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by DavidPartay
dude, I wish I could put that much effort into my drumming!
You could,....take the first step..... which is the hardest. :)

DavidPartay
08-31-2003, 05:27 PM
no no, it's not that *I* can't, it's because I don't have the time to ;). I can't play my drums past 7pm, and I work every weekday except Thursday from 9-5, except on Monday when I usually work 9-2 and have a band practise in the afternoon. On the weekends I usually spend time with my girlfriend and I might be able to spare a few hours but generally I spend very very little time at home with my drumkit.

On Thursdays I have a band practise and a martial arts class... I don't get home until not long before 7pm.

On the other hand, I have started doing my practise routine that I've written about in the 'Tips and Techniques' section of the forum, and I practise that tapping on the floor and hitting a pillow every single day if I can't get to my kit to do it. I am planning to get a stand mounted practise pad and a feet practise pad for in my room so I can essentially get 'the real thing' because I don't the pillow and the floor are that great ;).

alencore
09-01-2003, 11:10 AM
practice pads? without those my neighbors could have killed me bec. of the drum noise, lol.

TUDW
09-06-2003, 05:58 AM
You dont work at it 1 night for 2 hours, and then the next day for 2 minutes. I'm 15, and i make sure everyday is 15 minutes with the double bass and rudiments. Thats it man, 5 minutes a day is good, it will take longer to get where you want to go, but, its consistant. I know what people are like, they here something from Virgil, get home and practise for 3 hours, and the next day, no practice. Its like when your in bed in the morning and the alarm goes off, you know its bloody warm under the sheets, and you also know its bloody freezing outside the sheet, but you still get up, everyday. If people want to get somewhere, the have to be consistant.

Me.2
09-07-2003, 04:46 AM
Jeff beck once said he doesnt practice like most people do,..a structured routine,..... which....when you consider his talent is .....pretty amazing!

jonberg
09-07-2003, 08:40 AM
"Practise makes perfect!"

Itīs as simple as that.

Me.2
09-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by jonberg
"Practise makes perfect!"

Itīs as simple as that.
NO,.........Perfect practice makes perfect....."Imperfect" practice will make imperfect playing. ;)

BrettLee
09-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Yeah.. we all need to make sure we are practising things the correct way!! I've gone thru Imperfect practise before.. ;)

jonberg
09-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Thatīs what I meant Me.2 :D

Cheers!

Me.2
09-08-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by jonberg
Thatīs what I meant Me.2 :D

Cheers!
Your post wasnt perfect jonberg and i felt the need to "Perfect" it,......its becoming a Bad habit....feel free to shoot me. :)

jonberg
09-24-2003, 04:29 AM
Hi Adam, how is the doubles doing??
Any results?

TUDW
09-25-2003, 02:40 AM
Yeah, whats happening, has it been a month?
Reply to us on your work.

morgenthaler
09-25-2003, 07:59 AM
It was on the 15th of august so......... ADAM!!!???
How is it going??

DoubleBass_Rob
09-27-2003, 07:01 AM
I'd also like to know how this experiment turned out, plus I'd like to hear a recording, as proof, and to hear the quality of the doubles.

alencore
09-28-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Me.2
NO,.........Perfect practice makes perfect....."Imperfect" practice will make imperfect playing. ;)

repetition and a good feel of what you practice goes a long way.

Me.2
09-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by alencore
repetition and a good feel of what you practice goes a long way.

Yes.... but bad repetition goes even the LONGER..... way Around.

Meaning,........If you practice incorrectly for long hours you'll only have to correct your BAD habits later on. Hence,.....the famous usa coach saying...........'Perfect Practice makes perfect'.

Chereco
06-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Well my friend I wish you the best...

The best part of everything in life is to accomplish goals, and better more, when you know that the effort was made all because of you...I think that's why I like drumming, because it can sometimes be a 20 or more person job, but done only by one, which sometimes doesn't happen with another instrument...

Many things can be fulfilled by taking decisions into practice, but remember this, sometimes these decisions need MENTAL time and UNDERSTANDING, and I can say that this is the hardest you will ever need to do, to learn something new and then put it into practice and finally arriving to the desired result, but better more, make it yours and take it a step further...e.g. u want doubles in 200bpm, right?, when you get there, try to take it one step further, let's say, triples up to 100 - 120bpm, this way, next time you play your doubles, they wont seem and feel the same, because you've reached a new level of understanding the concept, you will find yourself in terms of: "doubles?, what r those to me?, I can make triples in 100 - 120, without hesitate and my doubles are like my singles now",
Now that everyone has read all this "bu...sh...", that's the way I think of my drumming, and hope it helps...

Chereco

MaltBuddow3
06-15-2004, 05:44 AM
lars ulrich

hi1000
10-05-2004, 01:37 AM
hey man all the best with that the 200 goal:)

jagdkommando
10-05-2004, 05:42 AM
one month? ... the month is over :)

IronCobraMan
10-06-2004, 09:55 PM
i cant play 200 bpm doubles yet.... but ive recently aquired the RIGHT doubles technique.... which is having ur feet on a sort of sideways position on the pedal....where u do a TOE-HEEL (...and not heel-toe....) motion , its a great techinique for mastering the infamous inverted doubles that everyone seems to obsess about... :P ....

im currently working on improving on it...but i still dont belive in setting a time limit to something u wanna achieve.... jus practice as much as u can.... but dont force urself to do things.... or it becomes work and not play...