PDA

View Full Version : how does virgil do rolls that fast on TUDW dvd?!

drumman
05-19-2003, 08:57 AM
i mean i have seen the md fest video, and yes he is fast, but it seems that his rolls on the toms have gotten even faster on the TUDW dvd (like at the part where he is rolling on the snare, then BLOWS up on the toms.. INSANE!). I honestly think he might have the fastest tom rolls ever ( well, maybe besides mr. chambers). does anyone know how to develop this speed?

kirk
05-19-2003, 09:46 AM
I do not know Virgil's specific regiment to developing speed and precision and fluidity executing rolls but I can say his "phrasing"is way more advanced than Chambers, it is along the lines of Colaiuta even more complex, he incorporates many more rudimental techniques when he fills. He has a fantastic double stroke and flam technique along with using others. Chambers is way to predictable and repetitive when he fills. Almost all single stroke, I love the incorporation of a great double stroke utilizing the whole drumset not just on the snare which alot of guys are limited to. Virgil uses THE WHOLE set when phrasing not just the predictable toms and cymbals in the predctable combinations like many guys. I do know that Virgil has pushed himself to develop the independence and dexterity to be able to have the freedom to use his hands and feet in whatever combination when he is executing grooves or fills and playing over the barline.

Regards Kirk

zoso
05-19-2003, 10:04 AM
sorry about my ignorance...but TUWD dvd?
what means TUWD?

jimi
05-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Zoso, TUDW means The Ultimate Drummers Weekend'. This is Australia's all famous drum festival. They released a DVD to commemorate 10 years of the festival. Virg plays so so well on this DVD and there is a workshop with him too! Go to drumtek.com.au and purchase a copy. This IS a must for every virg fan ou there.

There's so many other drummers too so check out the list that includes Weckl, Famularo.

Actually i really liked Gerry Pantazis, nice style :-)

zoso
05-19-2003, 01:15 PM
http://drumtek.com.au/html/dvd.html
so expensiveee..

jimi
05-19-2003, 01:19 PM
The price is in Aus$ so it's actually not as bad as the number looks at first :-)

morgenthaler
05-20-2003, 07:28 AM
Virgil himself said that the routine he displays on his Power Drumming video is pretty close to what he did for a number of years: constantly pushing his abilities with his hands and feet in a relatively simple manner, and as the speed builds, try to make the stickings more and more complex.
The exercise with 7 powerstrokes is a good one,- I have done it myself, just to build dexterity and stamina.
Zoso: you should not hecitate in buying the TUDW DVD. Besides 30 min+ of Virgil there is also a monster solo by Dave Weckl and many other good drummers!!

Christopher
05-20-2003, 08:26 AM
I don't see you guys talking much about Darryn Farrugia. I really liked his feel on that DVD.

DoubleBass_Rob
05-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Darryn does an excellent solo. A good change from the usual screaming double bass and flaming tom rolls.

DeepThought
05-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Hmm, TUDW comes to about $46 US. I need this.... meaning, I need money first ;) Time to work longer!

Fat Mike
05-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Yes!
Darryn Farrugia is one of australia's best jazz/all round drummers. He occasionally plays in a acid jazz/funk band here in Melbourne called Deode...ive seen them so many times, he smokes! He is one of the best drummers i have ever seen when it comes to feel...purely amazing! He does lots of session work and gigs in Melbourne most nights with one band or another, he teaches and he writes for Drumscene (an aussie drum mag!). He also plays in a jazz band called Logic...they have a cd out (not sure on the album name) but it is full of young awesome aussie musos, including the not so young Craig Newman on bass (Darryn and he had a long stint as band members on one of australia's most popular and longest running variety shows called "Hey Hey, It's Saturday!....of the top of my head it ran for about 17 years). Darryn is a busy muso with lots of projects on every day...but he is also one of the nicest guys (and drummers) ive ever talked to. You guys should check his stuff out...not sure if you can get it on audiophiles or not...but its defenitely worth a listen!

Fat Mike
05-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Oh, just a few links you non-aussies out there sould check out!

Drumtek - www.drumtek.com.au

Vorticity Music (a music label/tour organisers for many aussie/overseas touring greats...they put on the electic jazz festival each year...run superbly by Mr. Frank Corniola [a very close friend of Virgil's], who also owns Drumtek and organises 'The Ultimate Drummers Weekend' in Melbourne each year (this guy is a genius!) - www.vorticitymusic.com.au

And finally a website for the band i mentioned in my last post, Logic (featuring Darryn Farrugia on drums) - www.logiconline.net

Check them out!!

peter
06-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, I have seen both drummers and they both are great players.

As for the use of singles and double strokes, drummers usually prefer one to the other. Single-strokes are generally more powerful and so you see more drummers using them, like Dennis.

These guys have a lot of respect for each other and both bring a lot to the table. I'm more impressed at Dennis' ear than anything else (he doesn't read a note of music!) and despite that, he's one of the most musical players.

Virgil has a command over the physical aspect of the kit and sticks that is truly remarkable. His advice, given at clinics, is very good. He is devoted. If you apply yourself, even fractionally, as Virgil, you will gain greater command over your singles and doubles. Practice. Start slow. Slow is better. Go for control. You will see the speed come.

Christopher
06-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks for those links Fat Mike. I really did like Darryn's style on the DVD. This is why I mentioned it here.

DavidPartay
06-24-2003, 08:08 PM
I've seen Darren Farrugia play a gig with Damien Corniola when Damien was ELEVEN years old. Damien was better than me than than I am now, and that was like 3 or 4 years ago, possibly even longer ago! I'm freakin nearly 19!! hehehe

But yeah

Darren Farrugia is an excellent drummer, his solo was the first 'pro' solo I ever saw, and I was absolutely dumbfounded. I had no idea those things were physically possible.

Then when I saw the Power Drumming video (my first Donati experience ;)) I was like... Ok... somebody has decided to defy the laws of PHYSICS :O

so yeah...

I would say that the method Virgil went through on PD would be GREAT for building your speed around the kit, as long as your actually hand and finger technique was already controlled well. Otherwise you just get frustrated that you don't seem to be getting any further.

The key is also to take things SLOWLY - this is a MUST. Do not push yourself to do things you CAN'T do, rather work on your COMFORTABLE speed - until it becomes second nature to do 16th note sets of 2 around the kit at 180. Once you have these things feeling comfortable and natural, THAT is when you can push your tempo up, it will mean that you're not straining yourself, it's less frustration in the long run because you actually feel like you're accomplishing something instead of failling to achieve a high goal.

Thus your confidence is also built, and your desire to achieve and work harder sooner grows :).