PDA

View Full Version : My Drum-Off 2004 Practice routine & Double Bass Video's!

nevesis
09-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I have been practicing alot lately in preparation for the Drum-Off and I was working on this double bass pattern as of recently. Its not perfect but give me a few more days and I will have it down. Just wanted to share it with the great members of the forum!

As well, the other video is my routine for this year's Drum-Off. I am still working on it, so some transitions might be a little rough. Everyone download and post opinions. Please no bashing or rude remarks. Keep your crticism constructive.

Download here

http://www.thelabmusic.com/evan/new/

Sincerely,

- Evan Esposito

vdreignsuponus1
09-18-2004, 02:46 PM
and as usual..i bow down to ur greatness!:D

nice nice nice..VERY NICE! (as usual)

i love watching ur vids man. they always get me sooo pumped! with that fact that u angle camera to the back of u and ur just awesome!:)

yes yes, keep up the goodwork. i hope to be that good at the point when ive been playing as long as u. ill try my best to do so, as always!

for u, me, and everyone here:

DRUM THE FUCK ON!!!:D

quitou
09-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Wow, nice job man...look forward to hearing how you do at the drum off this year...GOOD LUCK...you should do really well

D.W.A.
09-18-2004, 08:00 PM
hey man.i dug it...im liking the ''rosanna'' groove in there man.that my kind of stuff.........good shit man.

peterad
09-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I was one if the critical guys from your last post, begging you to play more musically. You did a good job on this one! You managed to show off your chops without it clogging the solo up too much. I too dig the half time shuffle. The double bass stuff sounds good as well. Can I ask, are you playing single strokes with your feet, or 2 & 1, or possibly even double strokes phrased as triplets? Are you able to lead with either foot? I see that in the other double bass vid you are doing 2 & 1, but im asking about the main video, cause that sound a little different. Oh wait, 1 TINY criticism if I may. The stick twirling looks fine, but somewhat deliberate. Kind of like, " ok, watch me do this trick now" instead of "stick twirling is just part of my regular playing style". Again, Im splitting hairs here, but if your looking for every edge, Id say just make sure that the stick tricks flow and dont hurt you. To sum it up, you should kick some ass at the competition! Good Luck!

nevesis
09-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks peterad, great response and critique, I am going to keep that in mind.

alencore
09-19-2004, 12:23 PM
can't comment yet as i'm still savoring the slow dl time my net is giving me but i'll say if you did do some nice half time shuffle or the popular rosanna groove by jeffy as mentioned by DWA, man i'm excited to see your new shit...hahaha...i mean your new promising kick ass drum shit!

goodluck on that upcoming drum off competition. may the force be with you always!

Milo Porto
09-19-2004, 11:18 PM
holy shit nevesis..thats some good shit i see maaan..! keep it up...\m/

nevesis
09-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments, I take them to heart and will use them constructively.

I only wish Virg could see some of my stuff. I would love to hear him critique my playing. It would be so helpful.!

Christopher make it happen! :D

bootdogs
09-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, I take them to heart and will use them constructively.

I only wish Virg could see some of my stuff. I would love to hear him critique my playing. It would be so helpful.!

Christopher make it happen! :D
Well youre already in Virgil's forum. Maybe Virgil is checking it out as we speak but cares NOT to comment....just my 2cents.

Great playing BTW. Good luck at the Drum Off!

peter
09-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Hey, Nev. Another drum-off? OK. Good luck, man!

I saw the two video. I think they're pretty good. I
really like what I see in terms of ability.

On the shuffle, I really did like the beat itself but
I did not go for the fills that accompanied with. It
is a triplet figure BUT when we fill it, with triplets,
as well, I think it loses its drive and sounds too
mechanized. That's my view. One thing you could
is keep the snare portion of the figure lower, dyn-
amically. Think about it and tell me you how you
feel. Dynamics here, with a capital 'D'. One more
thing on the shuffle - Eighth and Quarter note
strokes do all that's needed and the space adds
a lot of power to the pattern.

After so many years of seeing and listening to
Gadd, I have been moved to think that that solos
in rhythm have more impact than those that are
not and I think you try composing a presentation,
which is totally in rhythm and very dynamic. You
might surprise yourself.

Of course, you know how I feel about your talent
and am cheering you on.

:)

D. Slam
09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Evan,

I just viewed your videos and as usual, great stuff.

As a judge for the drum off for the past 3 years, I would like to comment on some things that may benefit you... I hope you don't mind...

First, let me say that in watching your practice routine for the contest I am keeping in mind that there was no one there and that you were just practicing. But here are some 'just in case' helpful hints: :D

1. Remember, you are PERFORMING!!! Yes, the judges are listening for chops, dynamics, cohesiveness and all that, but it is EQUALLY important as to how you present them. Two of the criteria that the judges are using are stage presence and audience response. You do not want to be so into what you're doing that you're not engaging your audience. If I were to visit you at your home, You would host me. You would invite me in, offer me a chair, maybe something to drink, and so on.... Its the same situation when you sit down behind those drums in front of those people that came out to see you.... At that moment, it's YOUR house and you're the host! You must graciously cater to them yet while remaining in control. It's a fine line. Too far to the left and you'll come off as shy and inexperienced. Too far to the right and you come off as Cocky and overly 'ASSertive'.

Also, the judges love it when you invite your audience to participate in your routine. Hand claps, foot stomps, finger snapping, whatever. Now, I'm not telling you to do this, I'm just saying it goes over well and I'm just laying it out as an option for you.

I agree with what peterad told you about your stick twirling. There's nothing wrong with the twirling in itself. However, I do feel you need to work on presenting it more like a 'natural' part of your routine. Right now it looks more like something you just sort of threw in for good measure.

Peter also brought up a good point. Work on making the different parts of your routine a bit more compatible with one another. Mainly, your fills more cohesive with the grooves you choose. Don't forget, the trick is to sound like you're not forcing anything. Don't try to put a square peg into a round hole. :)

2. HAVE FUN! The audience will pick up on that and so will the judges. Your actual playing itself must be for those who know whats going on (Your Technical merrit)... But it must be presented in such a way for those who don't (Your Artistic impression - concept presentation). The judges will be looking at you on both counts.

Remember, You may score very high in one area but very poor in another. I have seen this hurt many a contestant by only a few points... Which brings me to my third and final point, very simple:

3. Know the criteria and prepare accordingly. Go down to your local GC and ask what the criteria is. They'll tell you. It's no big secret, you have a right to know.

Keep working hard Evan, I hope I've been of some help...

Good luck,

Don. ;)

alencore
09-20-2004, 11:28 AM
WHew! that was so enlighting to read D. Slam. i'm sure it will help nevs a lot. listen to the man nevs it's all right spot on.

well, i've seen evdoublebass9.15.04.mov so far...woah! our jedi drummer doing quite a work out on those pedals. very athletic.

nevesis
09-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Peter, Don, thank you for your length replies. I take all of your comments and use them to my advantage.

You are judged on Technique, Originality, Style Skills, Showmanship, Stage Presense, Overall Performance.

I tried to cover all these area's when composing my routine, so hopefully all works out well tommorow at the competition. I hope to have the video of it in the coming days afterwards.

Its never the same playing on a kit your not comfortable with, especially on a different setup. So you have to work with what you have and just go for it. Thats what I am going to do, and I am going there to win! Thanks again everyone.

D. Slam
09-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah that's right! It's on Tuesdays!!! I didn't realize it was so close... Hey man at this point, go for what you know. I suspect you'll win the early run offs fairly easy. As the competition gets stiffer though, you're gonna have to step it up. But I'm sure you know that already.... Go get em man!

Don.

PolyOstinato
09-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Kick some butt, Nevesis. I'm sure you'll do very well. Keep up the good work.

Brad

unsonor
09-21-2004, 11:59 AM
are you a drummer professional in reading and playin music 2 and ?( like academy of music ) or you just drum ?

All goods evan ;)

Killer set.

unsonor
09-21-2004, 12:08 PM
I mean in academy ... the snare drum suites ( not in master mode of knoledge ) but ... like an above semi-pro ( musician ) and timpany knoledge too ,,, and vibraphone or marimba or even to read a complex song witch i bet ... not all of you heard ?

Sometimes you see something that your favourites cant do.

I dont say about virgil ( I bow to HIM ) , but , It;s :

Drumming
Drumming ( musician )
Drumming ( musicant = by ear but still good but no knoledge )
Drumming ( musicant = the same, but with new conception ( Carter Beauford ) .. that is a style and I say this becouse not all of us on this forum invented something that is really something ( like virgil and others ) ... cuz we kinda all ... STEAL ( all the solos i saw on this forum ... ( I know it's insiration ) ... but ... nothing new `. Just someone style played by another one ( and ... well ... not soundin` like the inspiration )

... well ...

more and more ...

All good ppl.

alencore
09-21-2004, 03:00 PM
seems nevesis is more on short burst of fast chops on top most the time i noticed. may i suggest since you're so dexterous anyway why not extend those really hard fast figures on the hands far more longer as the climactic part of your solo.

jore
09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
As a guitar center employee who has been watching some painfull contest the past 2 weeks i wish we could have some more people of your talent in the my shop. You should definatly do well in the contest. One thought though, this year you have 5 mins to do a set. The groove you played was really good...your solos were awesome too...but try and go back to that groove more in the middle and end of your set. even if its for 3 measures or so..........BUT DUDE YOU ROCK

nevesis
09-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Its funny how all the haters from the last thread have simply dissapeared once this thread came about.

Its easy to prove jealous people wrong. :)

slamnovalis
09-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Before I begin my little rant to your last response, Nev-0, I'd like to say, nice "muscles." They really go hand-in-hand with your "badass skinz shreddAR" complex.... or just make you look like a typical metro from NY... lol... JAY-SLASH-KAY.

Now, first things first-- before you assume and go off posting "GUILTY CONSCIENCE... BTW, U GUYS CHECK OUT MY NEW DRUM VIDEO IN TEH OTHER THREAD??" I'd like to say that I find your statement to be more pretentious talk from friendly Evan.

You can either just read this and take it in like any respectable, mature twenty-three year old should, or you can be completely devoid of rational thought and comperehensive crtiqueing AND immediately scroll down to the "post reply" button AND just proceed to call me a "jealous hater." It's your choice.

Ok, now, jealous? Why would I be jealous? Oh, well, besides the setup that you're "grooving" on ( ;) ), there are no feelings of jealousy present.

There is nothing wrong with your playing, but there is nothing special about it either, especially since I, myself, have noticed very little improvement since your last drumoff solo video clip. That is an honest AND humble opinion as well as observation, and in my kindest gesture, have you ever considered lessons? I understand your situation though-- the massive head on your shoulders and the tiny little neck you have... sure, it certainly makes everything hard to swallow, especially that word with a big meaning-- five characters known as P-R-I-D-E. But who cares right? Just keep positing the same licks, arranged and orchestrated slightly differently from before... I mean, what does my input

Evan, personally, I think if you had a completely different attitude, I would have never had a single negative comment to give you, but as ones like D.W.A. said, you've always taken the approach of "I know I'm a badass," and simply put, it's not necessary.

I know a retort from myself is never needed as well, but you're known as the 'add fuel to the fire' type, which in turn makes retorts from individuals, such as me, inevitable.

Just a few thoughts.

bootdogs
09-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I have a feeling this thread will be large yet again. Slamnovalis just laid a stinker! :)

nevesis
09-23-2004, 10:59 PM
I knew that post would start slamnovalis! Just as I had wished. Good post dude. Glad to see you thinking the same way!

D.W.A.
09-23-2004, 11:02 PM
.........lol :rolleyes:

nevesis
09-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Evan, personally, I think if you had a completely different attitude, I would have never had a single negative comment to give you, but as ones like D.W.A. said, you've always taken the approach of "I know I'm a badass," and simply put, it's not necessary.

The reality is, I never once said "I know I'm a badass" it is just the people such as yourself who seem to put that label on me because of the way I play and defending myself in earlier thread's from smear merchants such as yourself.

I am doin my thing man. Plain and fuckin simple. I am sure you are doing your thing. Going through life pointing out the negatives in everything will not bring you anywhere. Try being more positive and you might find more happiness in life.

Best of luck in whatever you do. Thank you for more inspiration and fuel to practice and play harder.

D.W.A.
09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
hey man......did ya tape the show...err........drum off. if ya did ...throw it on here*thumbs up*

nevesis
09-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Its right here. I did not play as good as I hoped. I was dissapointed by my performance, but I still advanced to the store finals. I plan to work out the shity parts and make it much better for the store finals

Check it out for yourself

http://www.thelabmusic.com/evan/new

visit0r
09-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Hello everyone! I have been reading and observing Evan's threads for the past few days. I found this forum while searching for some "buzz" about the GuitarCenter Drumoff. I decided to join this forum so that I may add my 2 cents. I hope that you find what I have to say as being usefull and not offensive.

Evan: You are a skilled drummer, and I understand that many people never reach the level that you have worked hard to achieve, but you must remember to remain humble. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, and the judges can sense that. I know that there are lots of people who will criticize you just because they feel like they have to bring you down in any way that they can, but there is still lots of usefull information in what many of the people have to say about your drumming. Don't become defensive. Deduct whatever usefull information that you can from each person's critique, and improve yourself. Let your playing do the talking. The number one rule is for YOU to be your own hardest critic.

Now onto my critique:

I have watched all of the videos that you have posted. I understand that people have told you to "groove more" numerous times. While you did attempt to make your 2004 solo more musical than the 2003 one, the 2004 solo really seems like it's missing something without some music accompanying it. It doesn't seem to stand alone and captivate the listener. If you have infact improved since your solo from last year, I suggest that you show it! At the very beginning you already recycled one of your beats from the 2003 solo. Study some different backbeats! While your style of playing is very smooth and precise, it comes off as being very mechanical in the planning and the mental aspect. It's not as captivating as it could be if you found a nice variety of backbeats to mix in with your playing. You often come off as looking like a drummer that has done extensive technical studying, but you don't often demonstrate the "soul" that comes with being a great drummer. You sound to methodical and not very natural. Don't take that as an offensive remark. You have great chops, but chops can not stand alone. The important thing is how your chops interact with your GROOVES. Chops are nothing more than a TEXTURE that is added onto the beats that you play. It is the grooves that make the backbone of the solo/song, and never forget that. It's obvious that you have the technical aspects of drumming down pretty well. Now I suggest that you get back to basics a bit and start practicing as many different backbeat variations as you can. Forget about the fancy chops for now. Find some nice funky beats and then mix your jazz rudiments in with them. Find something that really makes you bob your head... something that makes the fills just start to flow out and fit with the music without seeming like the chops are a crutch to fall back on whenever you run out of grooves. Don't think too hard; just let loose but don't go too hog-wild with the fills. They are FILLS and they aren't meant to sound like they are taking up tons of extra space because you can't think of the next beat.

In the beginning levels of this contest, having nice chops will be enough to advance. When you get further into the contest, you need to have something that captivates the judges. I'm not talking about stick tricks, or any of that. I'm talking about having original STYLE and a really good groove. They have seen sooooo many drummers who are nothing but walking metronomes, that they really aren't intrigued at all by seeing boring mathematic drumming. They want to hear somebody with style, groove, and then chops that naturally flow inbetween. Keep that in mind. At this point, you are appearing as more of a technical drummer that tries to map out your routine way too much. Try not to seem so methodical. Broaden your horizons by playing styles that you normally wouldn't play. Put together a nice variation of styles. Make it a "medley" of sorts to showcase your diversity. You have 5 minutes to display as much of your capabillities as possible. If you can fit all of your tricks into that time, then you have lots of experience to gain. You should have no problem spicing things up and keeping the entire 5 minutes interesting if you expect to get very far. That is what the judges will look for.

My key point of advice: Making a solo "groove" doesn't mean that you should do 1 groove, do a big fill with tons of chops but no feeling for about 16 measures, and then go back into the same groove from before, and then do more chops again. It should all be intertwined. Showcase your diversity and fluency in different styles and have the chops in there to add texture.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this turned out to be too lenghty. I'm bad about rambling and repeating myself, but I can see that you are a great drummer who just needs a little guidence in the right direction. In order to reach that "next level" I don't think that you should be concentrating so much on technical aspects at this point. You need to start concentrating on finding those funky beats that will make your head bob. You may not believe that I'm a worthy critic, so I will post a video of my performance after I compete at the 2nd round of the drumoff on October 5th. I am a funk drummer but I mix in a healthy dose of chops with my funk beats and I do it seamlessly. I don't plan my routines too much. I come up with a very basic outline and then I just let the rest flow out and I make sure that it has soul and doesn't look like it's mechanical and pre-planned. I look forward to possibly competing against you later on down the line, so use my little post as insight into my bag of tricks that I will be using ;)

Keep up the good work, my fellow drummer! I like what I hear so far. I'm eager to hear how you improve and grow.

nevesis
09-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Good post visit0r.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I do NOT have a chip on my shoulder, you do not know me, so please do not make such a vast opinion on someone's character without having ever met them in REAL life or talked to them in person.

Just wanted to clear that up!

Anyway, I appreciate you writing a lengthy post. Let me say another thing as well. I play with 3 different groups around the NY area, lots of jazz fusion and funk. I know I play it well, and playing music in bands is what I enjoy doing the most. BUT when it comes to the Drum-Off, this is a different ballgame.

I have been doing it the past four years, and have been to the regionals 2 times, and the district finals once. I know what the competition is about, but keep in mind every year the things you are actual judged on usually changes.

For instance. This year you are judged on the following:

Originiality, Technique, Style Skills, Showmanship, Stage Presence, Overall Performance.

Hence, this is what I developed my solo after. Its a guitar center Drum-Off. Its about being showy, and chops and technique and style. Groove is a very important aspect, but since it is not what you are judged on numerically, it does not hold as much ground as every other aspect which you are actually judged on.

I remember a few years ago, groove and musicality were two of the things. If you didin't have groove you got a low score. This year, if you do not have groove but excel in everything else you will do well.

Music and playing in the pocket and grooving, all belongs in a category of music. Thats what I love doing the most, playing music and grooving, but when it comes to the Drum Off I am just trying to excel in what I am being judged on.

I hope to meet you down the ride in the later stages if we both advance! I hope you understand where I am coming from. Again thanks for the critique and lengthy response.

Good luck dude. :)

visit0r
09-24-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm glad that went over well :) I didn't mean any offense with the "chip on your shoulder" comment, so hopefully there was none taken. I know that I come off as being cocky sometimes as well. Maybe it's just a drummer thing? Haha it's hard to not look like that when it involves a competative subject like a drumoff.

Anyway, good luck with the competition! I'm sure you'll do great. Keep in mind that not only did I critique your solo for your benefit, but I am also critiquing my own and I'm seeing some areas that I could improve on after watching your video. There's always something that can be learned from another drummer. Peace out!

visit0r
09-24-2004, 12:13 AM
One more thing:

Kudos on the actual performance at the competition :) I just now watched it. I actually think it was much better than the practice video that you posted. Adrenaline and a live audience can work wonders, huh? Keep it up! Try to harness that energy that you get in a live performance when you practice, and some interesting things might surface that you've never done before hehe. That's what I do.. it's hard, but it works.

nevesis
09-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Another very good post dude. You make great points. Thanks again dude. Stick around here, its a great forum. :)

alencore
09-24-2004, 10:53 AM
oh my the new video file is just too big, 96 mb. hey nevs, can you change the resolution of the vid or whatever to bring down the file size if possible. i'm on a sucky dial up and some few more members here eh.

alencore
09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
BTW, U GUYS CHECK OUT MY NEW DRUM VIDEO IN TEH OTHER THREAD??

post the url pls. too lazy to look for threads outside the first page.

D. Slam
09-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Great points visit0r... I read Evan's post after reading your first one and I must say that as a Drum Off judge, you're both right! I would say the biggest thing that Evan needs to work on is his transitions from one thing to another. Evan is right. In my experience as a judge, the person with the cleanest, 'flariest' (for lack of a better word) chops wins the event. I think it's a shame that it's geared that way but the judges hands are tied until they change the criteria. Personally I think they should make everyone play to say, three pre-chosen, randomly played squenced music tracks. The contestant should not know which of the three tracks he/she is going to have to play to. Then, the music should be cut and the contestant finishes with a drum solo based on the track. The reality is, Unless you just got some OUTLANDISH grooves, you're probably not going to win by basing your routine off of that. Again, I think it's sad.

One thing I've noticed though, I have yet to hear ANY contestant play odd meter, EVER! I keep waiting and waiting and it never comes. Something you both might want to consider as maybe doing something different. But getting back to your transitions Evan, I would like to comment on just a couple of things since you have a couple of weeks to practice. While watching the actual comp. video, the half time shuffle groove was kickin me so hard in my behind, it made my nose bleed. ;) It was SLAMMIN! But then, you just sort of stopped playing and abruptly went into something else. It felt a little like being cut off at the knees. My suggestion is simple, just work on making your transitions more fluid.

One more thing. On several occaisions between drumming segments you would sort of casually flip your stick, as if to say: Ok, next thing. This showed a touch of nerves. it's understandable, but you certainly want to mask that. Eric Moore (I know you hate that name :D) Was in TOTAL CONTROL of his routine, his confidence level and his audience. That's why he won it all last year! As cocky and brash as he was, he could not be denied! That kid was so full of himself, I wanted to dock him points just for that! :p But I couldn't do that, and the bottom line was, the bruthuh was bad and could not be overlooked. What he did, he deserved to win, plain and simple.

One last thiing Evan, as your friend and maybe even mentor, at least where advice is concerned, let me say this. Going in with the 'I'll show em' attitude is not going to get you very far. and I'm talking about your attitude toward those who would put you down. Never allow yourself to be fueled or motivated by negative imput. I'm not going to try to show what a smart black man I am just because the ku klux klan says I'm stupid. I have nothing to proove to them... And likewise, you have nothing to proove to anyone but yourself as far as your drumming is concerned.

Think about it.

Hang in and good luck my friend,

Don.

visit0r
09-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice, D.Slam :)

Do you have any videos of Eric Moore? I really want to see what his solo was like, but I can't find any videos anywhere :(

D. Slam
09-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, D.Slam :)

Do you have any videos of Eric Moore? I really want to see what his solo was like, but I can't find any videos anywhere :(

No I don't visit0r. Eric is nice enough but a bit too cocky for my blood. While he's playing he'll say stuff like: "Ahh yall like that huh". I even heard that he even made a comment something like: "Now it's time to listen to a real drummer!". When He made that "yall like that huh" comment, I was like, Aw man just shutup and play! Ain't nobody tryin' to hear all that! I tend to quickly detatch myself from folks like that.

But again there's no denying it. He came out with guns a blazin, and just smoked everybody off! Personally and honestly, I'm not one to make a competition of the arts so I'm really not all that big on it. But as long as the competition is fair and the contestants are garcious whether they win, lose or draw, I guess there's no real harm done. But it can sometimes bring out the ugly in people... Oh well, what are you gonna do? :confused:

Best of luck to you killer,

D.

peterad
09-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Its funny how all the haters from the last thread have simply dissapeared once this thread came about.

If you remember, I was harsh on you with your first video post, then I backed off a bit and tried to be nice and give you a chance to prove you werent cocky. I should'nt have been so nice. How can you say something as immature as that?

Try working with other musicians in any professional setting with your Holier than Thou attitude, and you'll wind up on your ass, branded as "doesnt work well with others". Everyone on this board has come across people like you, and the initial reaction is "hey, hes pretty good", then after a short time it becomes "wow, this guy is an asshole, lets find someone else" You are not nearly as good as you seem to think. Your 2004 solo is marginally better than your 2003 video, certainly not a year of practice worth.

Once again, you have some talent, but id never let you in my my group of drummer friends because of your attitude. Go to one of the guys I studied with; Chaffee and Alan Dawson, and give your attitude to them, they'll throw you right out of the lesson. Go down to Drummers Collective and surround yourself with some real players, not just your friends and girlfriend who will scream for you at Guitar Center.

Im sorry I offered you constructive advice in the past. I will never again offer you any advice that may help you, you apparently dont need or want anyones help, you just want others to tell you how good you are.

"Evan, you are the greatest drummer in the world, we are mere mortals who will never compare to you. We are jealous and you have shut us all up with your amazing skills." Hows that?

nevesis
09-24-2004, 09:59 PM
If you remember, I was harsh on you with your first video post, then I backed off a bit and tried to be nice and give you a chance to prove you werent cocky. I should'nt have been so nice. How can you say something as immature as that?

Try working with other musicians in any professional setting with your Holier than Thou attitude, and you'll wind up on your ass, branded as "doesnt work well with others". Everyone on this board has come across people like you, and the initial reaction is "hey, hes pretty good", then after a short time it becomes "wow, this guy is an asshole, lets find someone else" You are not nearly as good as you seem to think. Your 2004 solo is marginally better than your 2003 video, certainly not a year of practice worth.

Once again, you have some talent, but id never let you in my my group of drummer friends because of your attitude. Go to one of the guys I studied with; Chaffee and Alan Dawson, and give your attitude to them, they'll throw you right out of the lesson. Go down to Drummers Collective and surround yourself with some real players, not just your friends and girlfriend who will scream for you at Guitar Center.

Im sorry I offered you constructive advice in the past. I will never again offer you any advice that may help you, you apparently dont need or want anyones help, you just want others to tell you how good you are.

"Evan, you are the greatest drummer in the world, we are mere mortals who will never compare to you. We are jealous and you have shut us all up with your amazing skills." Hows that?

You are pathetic dude.

Try reading the rest of this thread first.

You have never met me, nor do you know how I am in REAL life, and for you to judge me like you just did is pathetic. I mean what the fuck dude, if you knew me in reality, you would see I am the furthest thing from an egomaniac, and the furthest thing from thinking I am amazing at drums. I am good, but I give props and respect to people who are better then me. There are TONS of drummers better then me, and tons I am better then. I have no time in my life to believe I am the best. That attitude will get you know where, and that is NOT how I present myself to people in real life.

You just do not understand. Get off your fucking high horse and never EVER judge someone you do not know.

I hope you learn your lesson.

peter
09-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Nev,

I see you are playing more matched
than ever. Is there a pattern, there?

Great man. I saw you really changing
it up in this performance. You were
trying to be more rhythmically oriented,
I think, with the half-time shuffle and
then the 4-4 patterns, mid-way, through.

In the middle, you fell into an 8th-note
tom and fill routine that I would not
stay with as long. It's too generic for
you and your skill-level, imho.

Your flurries were captivating, of course.
I think you could have ended with the
first one, rather than take it back but
this might have been a brainchild for you
and a seed for your next performance.

All in all, I like the intro. The fills for the
shuffle were better than the practice. I
liked how you let the space alone more.
I liked the flurries, especially the first.
I think you can end with such, building
up to it. Reorder the twirl routines into
the section just before the last flurry.

I know you can crossover more too and
I think that would help your next one.

I was hoping to see more double-kick
like you did in the practice runs but
again, save it for the next one. That
will wake them up. ;)

Keep your eyes on the prize.

Best of luck, as always...

nevesis
09-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks so much for the advice Peter.

I value your opinion extremely high. I am already in the process of reconstructing some parts. Given the fact I was nervous during the performance and did not think I played my best, this gives me two weeks to now get my self ready for the store finals.

I will keep you updated! :)

Drumblast
09-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Sounds good man. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't listen to visit0r, he just wants you to lose. :) I recommend playing the most moronic 1/8th note rock beat as cheezy as possible with a shit eating grin on your face.

alencore
09-25-2004, 11:04 AM
yeah like that "we will rock you" beat...LOL!

Compositional or well arranged drum solo now that something. neil peart and terry bozzio especially bozzio do drum solos like that as we all know.

the scottster
09-26-2004, 07:54 AM

I sense a bit of arrogance there. Are you saying your better than all these people?

kirk
09-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey Nev, I guess I am a hater since I have not posted yet. Maybe more clarification on your part would help. I appreciate your playing but come on with the "HATER" stuff. Is that really neccessary?

Kirk

peterad
09-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Hey Nev, I guess I am a hater since I have not posted yet. Maybe more clarification on your part would help. I appreciate your playing but come on with the "HATER" stuff. Is that really neccessary?

Kirk

Evan is taking the wrong path to try to get people to respect his playing.

nevesis
09-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Not at all, I am just sick of newbie's like peterad trying to judge my personality and character without having ever talked to me or know me in real life.

Majority of users here know what this thread is about, and know I am not like that and offer helpful insight into what I am trying to do. Those are the people I listen and take advice from.

kirk
09-26-2004, 01:20 PM
What would be great is we could critique and debate without the TRASH talking. What keeps us from doing that? Hashing things out is normal, but I guess it is Man's fallen nature that keeps popping up it's ugly head. It seems that it turns derogatory and get's away from the MAIN topic Drumming and music. I appreciate thourough and even at times intense conversation but let's not act like 8 year old's slinging childish words on the playground. Actually I think they(the children) do better than what goes on this board at times. Let's just keep the conversation to the music. I know we can do that ;) !!

Kirk

the scottster
09-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Nevises the only times you post is when you are telling everyone bout your drum off videos. whats up with that???

nevesis
09-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Nevises the only times you post is when you are telling everyone bout your drum off videos. whats up with that???

Nice observation. Go back to your hole now. :)

SunDemon18
09-26-2004, 06:41 PM
you guys should lay off nevesis until you post something of yourselves playing. its not fair that he cant "critique" your playing..... so until you post something that can blow him away dont say that you can play better than him. thats more childish than anything.

D.W.A.
09-26-2004, 07:04 PM
the majority of what they were speaking of wasnt his playing....i could be wrong.

nevesis
09-26-2004, 07:27 PM
the majority of what they were speaking of wasnt his playing....i could be wrong.

Thats the problem dude!

peter
09-26-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm sure you will be seeing a lot more of Nevesis
around here and elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging each other.

This is Virgil's, after all.

the scottster
09-26-2004, 10:51 PM
you guys should lay off nevesis until you post something of yourselves playing. its not fair that he cant "critique" your playing..... so until you post something that can blow him away dont say that you can play better than him. thats more childish than anything.

I understand where your coming from sun demon, but hes playings not the problem. Its his attitude. He has goes at people when they critique him which is why people say nasty things to him. So really what does the guy expect.
Plus i dont think hes that good.

nevesis
09-26-2004, 10:53 PM
I understand where your coming from sun demon, but hes playings not the problem. Its his attitude. He has goes at people when they critique him which is why people say nasty things to him. So really what does the guy expect.
Plus i dont think hes that good.

Wrong again asshole.

Get it right, I will repeat myself for the 10th time on two different message boards.

I do not care if someone critique's me, but when you try and judge me and tell me I am big headed and egotistical, that is purely and morally wrong on your part.

I will respond harshly to anyone who talks shit about me without KNOWING me, or ever have talked to me in REAL life.

Learn your lesson teenager.

the scottster
09-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeh whatever i know im right you know your right its not goin anywhere i call truce on this forum as well.

D. Slam
09-26-2004, 11:58 PM
Evan originally Posted: "Hey everyone,

I have been practicing alot lately in preparation for the Drum-Off and I was working on this double bass pattern as of recently. Its not perfect but give me a few more days and I will have it down. Just wanted to share it with the great members of the forum!

As well, the other video is my routine for this year's Drum-Off. I am still working on it, so some transitions might be a little rough. Everyone download and post opinions. Please no bashing or rude remarks. Keep your crticism constructive.

Download here".........

OK guys, now lets look at this. This is the post that started all this madness, but check it out!... There Is NOTHING wrong with the above post, Yet Nev took a beating from some for posting it! What kind of attitude should he have?! The very first reply (I think) was an insult and he just laughed that one off. ("My 8 year old can play that".) Yet they continued to come. What did he do originally to warrant that?!

Bottom Line, everyone (Nev included) who continues with this at this point is just beating their heads against the wall. Nothing positive is going to come out of this for anybody. Evan sees some of you as "jealous haters". Some of you see Evan as a cocky kid that needs an attitude adjustment. The problem we have here is we have those who can easily Identify the problem but is not looking to find a solution.... The end result has gone no further than useless name calling. At this juncture it's just kiddies playing on a see-saw. It'll stop teetering when at least one party on either side decides to get off.

I'll Start by not contributing to this particular subject any longer. I hope we can all move on to bigger and better issues really soon. That's what I'm gonna do!

D.

nevesis
09-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Thank you D Slam, you have laid it down perfectly.

I hope some people here read this and realize something.

IronCobraMan
09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
nice dude.... from one drummer to another i must say good stuff.... i love ur hit hat independance with the left foot... and ur doubles are tight as hell... honestly ur playing reminds me of mine, which scared me...and also is why i watched ur vids like 8 times :P .... the only thing i cant seem to figure out with my playing is the damn marshall grip... guess im too lazy to practice that (started off match grip)...i have so much other things on my plate to think about...

i also was curious to know if uve taken any kind of drum education and how long uve been playing for? cuz some of that rudimentary work on the ride VS hat is scary.... im very interested in knowing about ur influences aswell...

alls i gotta say is , keep rippin dem skins...i know i will.... :D

D. Slam
09-27-2004, 01:15 AM
nice dude.... from one drummer to another i must say good stuff.... i love ur hit hat independance with the left foot... and ur doubles are tight as hell... honestly ur playing reminds me of mine, which scared me...and also is why i watched ur vids like 8 times :P .... the only thing i cant seem to figure out with my playing is the damn marshall grip... guess im too lazy to practice that (started off match grip)...i have so much other things on my plate to think about...

i also was curious to know if uve taken any kind of drum education and how long uve been playing for? cuz some of that rudimentary work on the ride VS hat is scary.... im very interested in knowing about ur influences aswell...

Hey Iron,

I am not answering for Evan, but I'm glad you recognize his amazing talent. He is a true student to the art of drumming and if he keeps his head on straight, he's only going to get better. I personally am looking to hear of some good things from this young man in the future... The very near future!

Don.

nevesis
09-27-2004, 01:56 AM

Thank you very much dude. I appreciate the comments. Well, I did not start off playing traditional grip. I actually only started playing it full time 12 months ago. I use both grips depending on how I feel and what I want out of each grip.

I have had no previous drum education, no formal lessons. I am basically self taught and learned the basic rudiments and how to hold the sticks and that was it. The rest came from listening to great drummers, and listening to great drummers playing music. (obviously!) My influences I would say are Dennis Chambers, Vinnie Colaiuta, Virgil Donati, Tony Williams, Dave Weckl...etc I could go on for days...!

I am glad you enjoyed, I have way better stuff coming soon, I sucked during that GC performance in my opinion, I know for myself I can play WAY better then that. Nerves + Adrenaline can interfere with the flow sometimes. I am working it out, so the store finals performance is top notch!.

Thanks again dude! :)

nevesis
09-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Hey Iron,

I am not answering for Evan, but I'm glad you recognize his amazing talent. He is a true student to the art of drumming and if he keeps his head on straight, he's only going to get better. I personally am looking to hear of some good things from this young man in the future... The very near future!

Don.

What can I say Don, but thanks. Your advice has been very inspiring and I take what you say to heart and will let it help me in future drumming endeavors. Thanks again man for all your support and help! :)

peter
09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
D is right, again.

The best thing we can do for Virgil is
support him, of course and we could
contribute to this by keeping his board
as positive as possible.

I love to see drummers, who are ex-
cited about Virgil, play. If not, I am
very happy to see them talk about
him and what he's inspiring in them.

It's all about the drums and being
moved to improve.

I won't get into the personal attacks
because that's not with this board
is about. I don't believe that they
help anyone. They don't contribute
to a solution or a good environment.

I don't know about you but I plan
on being here as long as I live. ;)
Virgil is that important to me.

Let's just encourage each other
and help each other become bet-
ter and better and better drummers,
making Virgil proud.

D. Slam
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
D is right, again.

The best thing we can do for Virgil is
support him, of course and we could
contribute to this by keeping his board
as positive as possible.

I love to see drummers, who are ex-
cited about Virgil, play. If not, I am
very happy to see them talk about
him and what he's inspiring in them.

It's all about the drums and being
moved to improve.

I won't get into the personal attacks
because that's not with this board
is about. I don't believe that they
help anyone. They don't contribute
to a solution or a good environment.

I don't know about you but I plan
on being here as long as I live. ;)
Virgil is that important to me.

Let's just encourage each other
and help each other become bet-
ter and better and better drummers,
making Virgil proud.

Well said Peter.

IronCobraMan
09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
thats awesome man , but i also wanted to know how long u had been playing for :P

and to all in this board...im gonna be seeing donati for the first time on stage... he's doin a clinic at montreal drum fest in november... im sure it will be an experience i wont forget!

D. Slam
09-27-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't know if Peter has ever posted any of his clips here on this site. But if you want to hear some AWESOME drumming, check his stuff out at www.billycobham.com... Click on "were talking jazz" and then click on "drummers bytes" Slick grooves, powerful yet tastey solos, impeccable timing and feel, and some of the fastest feet in the business, all while being musically precise. His latin stuff is stupid smooth!

We have been friends for some years now and I know Peter to be a very modest and humble man who down plays his own playing abilities. This may be the reason he has yet to post anything here. But hearing is believing! I urge anyone who is serious about playing the drums to check him out!

Pete, you make us old guys proud! :p

D.

D. Slam
09-27-2004, 11:59 AM
thats awesome man , but i also wanted to know how long u had been playing for :P

and to all in this board...im gonna be seeing donati for the first time on stage... he's doin a clinic at montreal drum fest in november... im sure it will be an experience i wont forget!

It will be an experience Iron! I saw Virgil in a clinic for the first and only time back in April. Afterwards, I had to have my jaw wired to keep it from dragging on the floor. :D

D.

alencore
09-27-2004, 12:04 PM
hehe, finally the storm has calm down.
good luck on the contest nevs....weeeehhh!!!

hey D. Slam cmon show us some of your trick bags!

D. Slam
09-27-2004, 12:33 PM
I plan to alencore, as soon as I can get a couple of things hooked up on the technology end... ;)

D.

nevesis
09-27-2004, 01:55 PM

9 years I have been playing

peter
09-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Don is too kind. Now, he's the monster!

I am 45 years old and started playing
drums, when I was 14. It was a late
start, I thought. I felt I had to make
up for the time and so, I kind of jump-
started myself, which was easier to do
back in NYC, during the 1970's.

You can figure out the math. However,
I stopped playing professionally in the
mid-1980's and do something radically
different, though I still play for my own
development. In the last few years, I
have gone through profound changes
and part of this change is directly
attributable to Virgil Donati.

He's an inspiration, beyond descript-
ion and I not only love what he is
doing for me but I love to see young
drummers like Nevesis and others on
this board feed off him.

That's why I say 'play on!'

Of course, thank you, Don. You are
a good friend and an inspiration your-
self. I should also mention that Billy
Cobham is a like a father to me, as
far as my playing goes and I owe so
much to him and not just playing-
wise either. Thanks, Billy.

IronCobraMan
09-28-2004, 12:56 AM
thats some good progress for 9 years... keep it up , u got some serious modern drummer article potential :P

nevesis
09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
thats some good progress for 9 years... keep it up , u got some serious modern drummer article potential :P

Thanks dude, and I won't even stop once I do get on the cover of Modern Drummer. :)

morgenthaler
09-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey Nevesis

I think its a great overall performance, nice fluidity for the most part!
What I would prefer was maybe a bit more over the bar phrasing and/or accenting. You pretty much lands with your crash/bassdrum on 1 everytime.
Some people might actually prefer that!- It's just my personal taste.
And I would like you to show a bit more doublebass work,- you obviously has a great db technique down!!

One last thing for now... If I were you I would pick one grip and stick to it all through praticing just that grip, I am not a fan of switching, but I enjoy both Trad.grip players and matched grip players!

BUT..all in all.. you got it going on buddy!
Keep up the great work.

D. Slam
09-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Don is too kind. Now, he's the monster!

I am 45 years old and started playing
drums, when I was 14. It was a late
start, I thought. I felt I had to make
up for the time and so, I kind of jump-
started myself, which was easier to do
back in NYC, during the 1970's.

You can figure out the math. However,
I stopped playing professionally in the
mid-1980's and do something radically
different, though I still play for my own
development. In the last few years, I
have gone through profound changes
and part of this change is directly
attributable to Virgil Donati.

He's an inspiration, beyond descript-
ion and I not only love what he is
doing for me but I love to see young
drummers like Nevesis and others on
this board feed off him.

That's why I say 'play on!'

Of course, thank you, Don. You are
a good friend and an inspiration your-
self. I should also mention that Billy
Cobham is a like a father to me, as
far as my playing goes and I owe so
much to him and not just playing-
wise either. Thanks, Billy.

I forgot to mention that Peter went to Berklee, studied under Tony Williams and played with Chick Corea! What does that tell you?

You may wonder why Peter has never mentioned any of this? In my experience I have come to realize that after years of playing, and you become a certain age, the art of music is less about bragging rights and more about just making music. This is an artform that we are privalidged to have, and we know that we don't have to have it. Lose a finger or two, an arm, and your playing days are virtually over in a snap!

As Peter and I have grown in experience and age, we have come to understand how precious a gift this really is. We are thankful and we know like many other situations in life, It is not a thing to be taken lightly or for granted. Though Peter No longer plays professionally that often anymore, I know he loves and is very thankful for the gift of making music. And his purpose here is to learn and contribute back whatever he can....

Ditto Pete.

D.

visit0r
09-28-2004, 09:14 AM
If I were you I would pick one grip and stick to it all through praticing just that grip, I am not a fan of switching, but I enjoy both Trad.grip players and matched grip players!

Actually, I think it's good that he switches from one type of grip to another, because it shows his diversity. It shows that he can play using both techniques :) That will earn him some brownie-points with the judges.

D. Slam
09-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Actually, I think it's good that he switches from one type of grip to another, because it shows his diversity. It shows that he can play using both techniques :) That will earn him some brownie-points with the judges.

I agree...

alencore
09-28-2004, 05:08 PM
wow, peter played with chick corea? that's awesome man!

anyway i'm keeping my eyes open to our drum daddies here, D. Slam and Peter.
In my book , you guys RULE!

IronCobraMan
09-28-2004, 10:37 PM
wat i like most about the vid is that little funk beat at the beggining with the drags on snare.... altho my technique is very developed, ive never seen that before ur vid, and i jus incorporated it in my practice routine, jus makes u wanna dance like james brown!

break it down niggz!

PHILadiddle
10-02-2004, 09:22 PM
So evan, i posted earlier (under the name peter690), that u should post yourself grooving. Is this up yet? Cause i still wanna see it.

alencore
10-03-2004, 04:06 AM
the skinny kid can groove a little but still sounds in a hurry to play his karate chops on thy tambol.

tambol - drums in tagalog.

IronCobraMan
10-03-2004, 11:40 AM
if he can bust out those chops,the man can obviously groove, stop hatin u jealous losers

visit0r
10-03-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't think they are trying to challenge him. I agree that it would be nice to see him make a video and demonstrate some of his grooves, because I like to see what each drummer's true foundation is built on. I just want to see some of the basic grooves that he likes to work around (with some variation of course).

I'll have some videos uploaded very shortly.

alencore
10-03-2004, 03:31 PM
if he can bust out those chops,the man can obviously groove, stop hatin u jealous losers
fuck off bastard speed demon!!! how can you learn dude if you think you know everything already so with a big smack just SHUT UP Ironshit!!!

SunDemon18
10-03-2004, 06:27 PM
whoa now guys is it that time of the month around here.... damn calm the hell down. the dude can play his ass off so get off his case. lol you guys need to get over yourselves man for real

D.W.A.
10-03-2004, 06:41 PM
no ones hating anything moron...........fuck...their just wanting to hear more.......hell...........he's got their attention with something dont you think.......they wanna see more of it thats all..........i think he would dig the fact peoples wanting to see more of him. isnt that the whole point

IronCobraMan
10-03-2004, 11:11 PM
no...people been sayin to him.... oh u have good tech but u need to work on ur groove and ur dynamics.... so they are hatin....

PS.i never said i know everything.... i dont.... and i never will...but ill never stop learning...and practicing 6 hours a day , till the day i die.... but i can proudly say i have a high level of confidence in myself....and YES....i am a speed demon.... but also a everything else demon :)...... so blow me

D.W.A.
10-04-2004, 12:06 AM
no...people been sayin to him.... oh u have good tech but u need to work on ur groove and ur dynamics.... so they are hatin....

PS.i never said i know everything.... i dont.... and i never will...but ill never stop learning...and practicing 6 hours a day , till the day i die.... but i can proudly say i have a high level of confidence in myself....and YES....i am a speed demon.... but also a everything else demon :)...... so blow me
intelligent and mature post there man........i know now........i didnt have to bother with SAYING moron.

visit0r
10-04-2004, 07:09 AM

Obviously you can't tell the difference between constructive criticism and "hatin". I personally thought that this thread has kept the hostillity under control very well compared to the 2003 Drumoff thread.

I'm just guessing here, because I've never heard you play... but perhaps Nev is advanced passed a level that you can critique with full knowledge of what you're talking about, but that doesn't mean that other people here don't have the knowledge needed to help him improve. You may not be advanced to the point where the things that we point out prove to be important, but someday these things will be important to you. Just observe and learn as much as you can. I'm sure that's what Nev is doing. Maybe once you improve and learn more, you'll start seeing these things. We are just trying to help him improve (or I was anyway).

That wasn't meant to make you mad, and I'm not "hatin".

D.W.A.
10-04-2004, 08:14 PM
lol.........now this is entertainment.......nev....any more vids man?

visit0r
10-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Yes indeed, keep them coming :D

hi1000
10-04-2004, 11:01 PM
hey was wondering if Mr Peter could post some vids? i would like to learn :) i am still young in me playing so help :)

drummaman1
10-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Hello
Have you played in the store finals yet? I have won the GC store finals in Rochester, NY and am going to MN. I hope to see you play.

Thanks