PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Lang

quitou
08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Has anybody seen Thomas Lang play??? I've seen some video clips of him playing and he is pretty amazing. Incredibly smooth and fast with both his hands and his feet, and he has a very flashy, pleasing to watch style. He also strikes me as being an incredibly musical player as well.

quitou
08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Check out a video clip of Thomas Rippin away:

http://www.artport.at/sticktrix/x/vc/GiantStep.html

swedendrummer
08-06-2003, 11:14 AM
he plays the rudiments really well ith both feets and hands..i saw him in a clinic and i have to say i was really impressed! he marco minneman and virgil has create a new style of drumming!

german-drummer
08-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Thomas is an absolutely amazing drummer and a nice and funny person too!

I've seen him at clinics three times and he inspired me a lot.

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/QuickTime/LANG/LANGQT.html

For anybody who hasn't seen him play, just watch the video-clips from the hudson-music website. Awesome!

German-drummer

peter
08-06-2003, 01:07 PM
There's no doubt that Lang is very skilled. He has real command down on his kicks, reminding us of Virgil.

His twirling/tossing techniques are really visually stimulating and some of the best I have seen.

His use of Tony and Billy's double-stroke-between drums routines ARE very effective in developing hand control over the stick and I believe is part of the reason for his remarkable agility around the kit. If you really want to apply these, move away from yourself, with the pattern. For example, R-Snare, R-Tom1, L-Snare, L-Tom1 etc.

He is definitely an exciting player to watch. I can see why so many players are talking about him.

Fede
08-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Saw him, Minnemann and Rabb at the Meinl-tour a few months ago here in Copenhagen. He is amazing.

Speaking of stick-twirling, he used especially one stick twirl that really caught my eye. It looked like it changed direction all the time. Back and forth and also to some degree in other dimensions/around other axes. Furthermore it looked like it was going real fast and with great "force" and control - looked REALLY cool!!! If anyone knows about this......WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T YOU POSTED ANYTHING ABOUT IT ALREADY?!?! :D

peter
08-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Fede,

How about other twirls? Do you have
any info about any?

quitou
08-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Here's another clip I managed to find at the Meinl web site:

http://www.meinl.de/cymbals/films/behind the scenes 2.wmv

jonberg
08-08-2003, 11:12 AM
I also saw him on the tour with Minneman and Rabb in Sthml, and I have it documented on video so I have watched back to it a couple of times :)
Heīs a very impressive player...thatīs what I can say, havenīt heard to much of him besides that clinic.

candyman
08-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Check out his playing on a cd that he did with Conrad Schrenk. It is kind of old but it still kicks ass.

jimi
08-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Great vid jonberg!:) Is your copy very echo-ey too!

rythmtroll
08-08-2003, 04:55 PM
THAT WAS SO BAD ASS! Thanks for telling me about the site. Ive always new about Thomas Lang but I never heard him. He had such a great spirit on the kit and his set's tone had a great opened up resonance to it. BRAVO! BRAVO! Sir Thomas Lang is a new favorite...........TOO BAD HE NEEDS A TOE AND HEEL BASS PEDAL TO KEEP UP WITH THE VIRGIL. NO ONE WILL EVER REPLACE THAT MAN. MY ASS IS ON FIRE JUST TO LET YOU GUYS AND GALS KNOW.....TOO MUCH HOT SAUCE, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fede
08-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Thomas does not play the heel/toe-pedal. I got the same impression when visiting the Meinl-site, but he plays regular double-pedals....and he's quite good at it!

kirk
08-09-2003, 12:39 AM
When did he stop using the double action pedal. I have seen loads of clips where he is using it. I know at Namm in L.A. he was showing it off quite alot. Just curious that he might not be using it now when he was endorsing it and playing it quite abit in the past. And it definitely is easier to pull doubles out with that pedal, once you get the hang of the action.

Kirk

Me.2
08-09-2003, 06:31 AM
Thomas uses the Giant step pedals and studied from the colin Bailey Book. Thats where his pedal technique is from.

Cheesefubar
08-09-2003, 01:56 PM
He does NOT use the twin effect pedal except with the cowbell/jamblock off his left foot.

his regular pedal technique is amazing and he uses heel down/up and doubles. no heel-toe technique at all other than the left foot with the twin effect.

kirk
08-09-2003, 05:21 PM
How does he play 8th's on his left HH and keep the bass drum going with doubles, without using the twin effect, it is
impossible. That is what the pedal is set up, for I seen him soloing playing slamming 8th notes on the left HH and he is blazing away with his right pedal and it was not single's. It is no different whether he is incorporating a block or HH he uses the giant step at time's to play doubles when doing so, not exclusively but he does use it quite often.

Kirk

Me.2
08-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Sorry,.....but seeing that Thomas in his interviews has always stated getting his Limbs meaning arms and legs "EVEN", I find it hard to believe that he is not using a triple effect pedal. ie,,,a twin effect right with a single left.

Infact,..... as i was at the dvd recording in Northampton in the uk for the meinl generation tour....if Thomas didnt have that triple pedal their then,..... he must have been triggering,,,which he wasnt.

He's also known to use double basses and the hohner usa site lists twin effects for both drums. I could be wrong but there ya go.

Cheesefubar
08-10-2003, 04:19 PM
I don't know about the meinl gig. I can only say at NAMM is was twin effect left foot only. that also seems to be the rig he's using on the hudson website.

rythmtroll
08-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Fede!!! He did play the heel/toe pdeal at one time. but it was just for fun. he also came up with some very complicated rythms.I aint mad at cha bro.

Me.2
08-11-2003, 03:43 AM
My comps not competant enough to watch vids on sites,.. So i cant view the Hudson posting.:(

If he hasnt got a triple then he's 3 times the man i thought he was! ;)

Fede
08-12-2003, 05:05 AM
Lang has appearently been seen using several different setups. Anyway, the bottom line is that he rocks (!) on a regular double-pedal setup. Singles and doubles coming and going fast as heck. Maybe not better than Virgil, but he's not far behind.

Hip Alien
08-13-2003, 08:36 PM
I saw Thomas at the Montreal Drumfest last year and was impressed with his overall technique, but i found he lacked identity. Maybe i haven't heard him enough...