PDA

View Full Version : practise routine?

swedendrummer
08-06-2003, 08:54 AM
tell about your practise routine and goals....

peter
08-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Since moving to the left hand, I have placed my ride on the left side and my HH parallel the snare, focusing on mirroring the right-handed routines of my past, such as playing dotted figures on the cymbal, at the same time accenting the kick on all of the possible notes, to free up the communication between my left and right side.

In addition to this, I try and flam consecutively, as much as possible, along with accenting on the left-hand to strengthen it more and more.

Right now, most of my focus is on this area.

I will be buying another kick pedal for double-kick and I will do similar things for it, mirroring the right side.

All of this is in the direction of furthering my ambidexterity.

swedendrummer
08-06-2003, 11:20 AM
my practise schedule looks like these:
1 hour hand technique single strokes doubles flams around the set or on a pad.
2 hours foot technique all rudiments ...much practise on doubles and flams..and grooving with left foot
1-2 hours independence ostinatos, polyrythms so on..
maybe a finish with some playing to music!! post your opinion about this shedule!

peter
08-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Well, that's a routine! You are devoting MUCH more time than I can to your instrument. You must be young and this is the time for you to do just that. If you use a metronome, I think it even a better routine. Excellent. You can't help but become proficient.

alencore
08-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Cheers to yah pete and swedendrummer
. As always your enthusiasm on the drums is so inspiring.

Well, when I was young and wood shedding like crazy it will go from...[sorry kinda off-topic]
1. Transcribing drum parts
2. Applying transcribed drum parts by playing along songs.
3. Double bass from quads, 16th note flurries, triplets etc.
4. Go hit the locals to give some drum lessons.
5. Watch and borrow drum videos and books up to the point I have to threaten my mentors...hehe just kidding.
6. Study, learn and apply some more fancy stuff.
7. Ooops, my pedals getting beat-up too much gotta do some hardware maintenance like putting grease on spring holders etc.
8. Double strokes, flamadiddles, swiss-triplets and paradiddles while watching tv.
9. Program some full blown drum parts on a drum machine just to keep my sense of note reading really accurate.
10.Tunning galore.
11.Then bandmates would call for rehearsals for gigs here and there, hehe, the real fun part.
11.And finally go and slap my monkey....hahaha.

Lots of activity during heavy intensive drumming days, ahhh..??

DavidPartay
08-10-2003, 07:34 PM
When I get time I'll do a little bit of work on double strokes and single strokes with my hands and feet, and then muck around for a little while soloing and trying to achieve certain sounds. I also constantly do double strokes with my feet when I'm away from the kit, or I do patterns such as RRLRRLRRLRRL, RRRLRRRLRRRLRRRL and single strokes to help keep my feet going.

I also work on both matched and traditional grip. Matched grip for my punk band, and traditional grip because I love the way it feels and I prefer it to matched grip for no particular reason other than the way it feels.

Oh, and I'm happy if I get 2 hours a week behind my drumkit not including time with my band... Because I don't get much practise time (excluding band practise, church band, and if my band plays a gig) on my kit alone because of having commitments to work, spending time with my fiancee and doing a HELL of a lot of driving around in regards to church stuff, my band and my ninjutsu class :D

I want to get feet and hand practise pads to use in my bedroom because whenever I am actually home in the evenings (I can't practise past 7pm or before 9am) it would be nice if I could just sit in my room whacking the practise pad and just getting my speed and control solid.

jonberg
08-11-2003, 12:17 PM
My practiseroutine is like this a normal day:

-30minutes on handtechnique
-1 to 2 hours on interdependence/coordination
-1 to 2 hours foottechnique, doubles, flams etc.
-1hour of playing other styles, funk, shuffles, latin, linear playing etc.
-1 to 2 hours playing on my jazzkit.

I normally practise between 4-6 hours a day.

DavidPartay
08-11-2003, 07:30 PM
I so wish I could practise 4-6 hours a day!! One day, when I've got my own home and a sound-proofed studio room, I will do so into the early hours of the morning! muahaha!

alencore
08-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Yeah, a fully sound-proof drum studio or a freaking band studio would be cool. Once you get the itch to muck around the drum-set just go in turn on the air-condition, some play-along equipment as well as some basic recording gear coz getting those higly spontantaneous creative moments recorded makes our ego fully satisfied once we listen to it over and over again. Then if the guys are in you can jam till wee hours in the morning without bothering one single sleeping soul.

DEMON_FROM_HELL
05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey Do You Like Mudvayne

Johnny
05-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I do a pad routine in the morning with the "Stone Killer," Dawson's Rudimental Ritual, and an application of sixteenth-note and triplet permutations that walks you through every sticking combination they can make.

On the kit, I warm up by expanding those permutation studies to all my limb pairs according to Mangini's "C&C" system. Then I work on double bass by working through Mike's RK workout CD (vol.2), which has different combinations of subdivisions. Lastly, I work on independence using a very twisted application of the "C&C" system which has one playing various stickings against another sticking serving as an ostinato, then moved around the limb pairs.

In between "major" exercises I will run through a movement drill on the toms or perhaps practice over an ostinato I'm working on.

It sounds like a lot, but really it isn't.

Johnny
05-19-2005, 07:05 PM
And no, I don't like Mudvayne. :)

bateria
05-19-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm not very disciplined...I do any combination of practicing rudiments, playing along to tracks, working out of books, working on soloing, working on movement and speed/fluidity around the kit, working on time and feel (the MOST important things,) etc. No real set plan for me.

Shane G
05-20-2005, 10:26 AM
1. Morello's "Stone Killer." 16ths & triplet versions.
2. various Stick Control pages. Mostly the closed roll exercises.
3. I also warm-up on the kit w/ Mangini's "C&C."
and then the "twisted application of the "C&C" system." (as Johnny put it)

IF there is extra time I'll work on:
- Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez's book.
- my own system of combining John Riley's Art Of Bop Drumming with Rick Mattingly's Creative Timekeeping.

KarnEvil
05-21-2005, 04:34 PM
playing on my lap until i get black and blue

Wankmaster Joe
05-28-2005, 10:27 PM
I just makeup beats and **** around and make solos most of the time and so far it works quite good. :)

Killswitch
05-31-2005, 06:58 AM
i practice for 3-5 hours Everyday. Depending on the mood,.. Sometimes,, When i feel lazy.. I only do some basic Beats... Double Pedal Exercises..,,,

IronCobraMan
05-31-2005, 07:48 PM
ive jus devised a great way to develop speed and endurance which cuts my speed practice time by half....

200 bpm * 5 mins
210 bpm * 4 mins
220 bpm * 3 mins
230 bpm * 2 mins
240 bpm * 1 min
250 bpm * 30 secs * 2
260 bpm * 15 secs * 2
270 bpm (on seperate feet) * 5 secs * 8-10

this usually takes me about 30 minutes with breaks and all... so after that i can work on doubles and rudiments on feet for 30 minutes... then 1 hour of hands ....then 1-2 hours of jus kit playing...music etc...

Qaatar
05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Recently I've been struggling with practicing heel-up. I've always played heel-down, but I've sort of plateaued in terms of speed, although my control has kept on improving. I was maxing out at around 225 about 4 years ago, and I haven't improved since. Just recently, I've started to realize that maybe it's my technique, so I'm going heel-up from now on...very tough. I'm barely reaching 180 without the need to twitch.

Oh...and my routine nowadays is to get through half an hour of 160-170 bpm double bass. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

hereswheristand
05-31-2005, 09:03 PM
that's pretty crazy that you played double bass heel down, i haven't heard of many people that do that.
could you get power out of it and how long could you last playing just straight 16ths heel down?

Qaatar
05-31-2005, 11:12 PM
I could play heel-down sixteenths at around 210 for over half an hour with almost no fatigue...but once I start going into the upper 220's, my endurance level drops exponentially, and I basically just start flopping and my feet just go. I've tried exercises of all kinds, but nothing has helped. Control is great in the lower 220's, but I've never been satisfied just playing that speed.
There are many great drummers who play heel-down. Lang, for instance, is just as good heel-down as he is heel-up. Mike Hamilton of Deeds of Flesh can play 245 bpm heel-down sixteenths with power and control. John Longstreth of ex-Origin is another great heel-down player. As for volume, it's never a big issue, because no matter what technique you use, once you go over that 230-240, the volume is going to decrease no matter what. I haven't heard 240+ being played with the same amount of volume as 190-200 by ANYONE.
For lower speeds, volume does become a little bit of an issue if you compare heel-down to heel-up, but as long as you mic your bass drums, it doesn't matter. There isn't a huge discrepancy in volume anyways...and drummers like Hamilton sit at extreme angles and very far away from their bass drums (I saw him play once, and his legs were about in a 135 degree angle). This helps you play more powerfully heel-down.
Heel-toe suffers from much greater volume issues than heel-down does, and you see tons of speed fanatics today using that technique.

IronCobraMan
06-01-2005, 06:02 PM
hi speed heel down is a waste of time .... there is no way u can play faster heel down...id stick to heel up for anyone whos new to foot techniques.

C.J.
06-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Johnny had some interesting facts about heeldown on his website if I remember...

Qaatar
06-02-2005, 04:56 AM
hi speed heel down is a waste of time .... there is no way u can play faster heel down...id stick to heel up for anyone whos new to foot techniques.

It really depends on the player. It's true that MOST people don't play that well heel-down, but you can't say all. Like I said, there are many GREAT heel-down players.